White Day & April Fools

Crush
 
The ringing bell echoes through the corridor. Students rush to their own classes. Everyone is dressed in the same uniforms. I just silently trail behind the teacher, following her to my class. We pass a few doors until we finally arrive, she reaches out and walks into the classroom.
 
The atmosphere inside the classroom is very lively. Not even one soul notices that the teacher came in, that is until the teacher banged the table. Everyone turn their faces to the front of the class and that’s when everyone starts to whisper and murmuring to each other.
 
“Please be silent so I can introduce our new student."
My new homeroom teacher displays a very stern look on her face and eyes all the students who’s making a ruckus. When the class is quiet enough, she started with the typical.
 
“It’s been a very long time since our school accepted a new transferred student that came to the school in the middle of the year, but be nice to him and make him confortable. Please introduce yourself.”
 
All eyes are focused on me ever since I stepped in, and I’m sure nobody's listening to the teacher’s explaining just now. I feel so awkward having to introduce myself like this.
 
“Hi, I’m Lee Taemin, nice to meet you. I hope we can get along well.”
 
I know the teacher is hoping me to do a longer version but right now, I can’t think of anything more to say.
 
“Right. Umm, now please sit at the empty place I’ve prepared, it’s next to Han NaRae. NaRae please raise your hand.”
 
A girl, who seats at the back of the class, raises up her hand. She has a long black hair tied into a ponytail neatly.
I walk straight to my seat.
 
“NaRae is the class’ president, so you’ll be able to get the help you need from her easily.”
 
“Han NaRae, just call me NaRae. I’m the class rep as you’re told, so do ask me if you need any help.” I'm a little surprised when she greets me, but notheless I nod.
 
_ * _
 
I'm hoping to get a peaceful time in this school but now I don't think so. In front me is a group of boys, trying to be all scary and intimidating. But they failed.
 
"Hey, new kid.”
This one guy in the middle holds out his hand open in front of me. I don't even think twice as I grab his hand and shake it. But when I think about it again, maybe I was a bit clueless.
 
“Are you kidding me. I’m not asking you to introduce yourself. You have to give us money.” That’s shocking, I thought this school doesn't allow bullies, well those teachers who told me that must be lying then.
 
“I don’t get it. Why should I give you money?"
I try to act as stupid as I can. They probably will think of me as a retarded idiot and let me go. Before they can even replu back, a familiar girl passes by and sees us.
 
“Yoon HyunShik. You do realize that this is the third time I’ve seen you bullying someone, am I right? And I’m sure you remember what I told you last time, leave the poor guy alone if you don’t want me to report you.”
The stoned expression of them amuses me and I almost crack a laugh if I'm not in such a sticky situation.
 
This Yoon HyunShik guy turns around with a forced smile, trying to get his way out of the mess.
"Class rep, I was just joking to the new kid. Why would I bully a nice guy like him, huh?”
 
“I don’t care, just get out of my face,” NaRae said, shooing the boys away.
 
“Don’t be weak or those guys will bother you again, and next time I won’t help you again.” Just like that, she walks away. I don't even get a chance to say a single thing and not to forget, a thank you.
 
“Thank you!”
I manage to say it without embarrassing myself. She is already some distance away from me but I could see her stop walking for a split second and resume immediately.
 
_ * _
 
March 14, White Day.
 
You can see how excited the girls are today. They’re all hoping for their crushes to give them presents, just like how the girls give them on Valentine's day. In this class alone, there are two new couples already. But not all people are excited about this event, and one of them is obviously NaRae.
 
“Hey, why don’t you try giving NaRae candies?”
YunJae and I are talking, he sits in front of me and we’re pretty close after a few months in this school.
 
He must’ve meant it as a neutral statement but it got me thinking. “I don’t have any reason to give her candies.” It is the right answer, she doesn’t give me anything at Valentine and we don’t have any sorts of relationship.
 
“You know, NaRae’s pretty famous. Lots of seniors like her, but what’s interesting is that she doesn’t like any of them!”
For some unknown reasons, I smile when he said that. I keep on shoving my lunch to my mouth while YunJae blabbers something about how a popular senior got rejected by NaRae.
 
I finish my lunch faster than YunJae and leave him eating there, while i go back to class. I’m pretty sure the class is empty now and I can be alone.
When I opened the door, it surprised me that there is one person at class, the one and only Han NaRae. She was sitting at her table reading a thick novel, while I can see a mountain of candies in her drawer.
 
I sit in my seat, fidgeting for a while. The uncomfortable atmosphere is choking me, so I stand up and decides to go back to YunJae.
 
“Kang SangHyon,” she suddenly calls my name.
 
_ * _
 
“Is this your secret place?"
I try to find an appropriate question to start our conversation. NaRae brings me to a deserted bench at the back of the school building to eat all the candies she got. She nods slowly as she pops one candy into . Her loose hair is swept by the small breeze.
 
“Why do you ask me to help you eat all these candies again?”
 
“Well, because obviously you were the only one in the class and I’m not going to trouble myself by walking down the corridor looking for someone I can ask to help me.”
She answers in a matter-of-fact tone that makes me ask myself whether that was a stupid question.
 
“Why don’t you accept one of the guys who gave you these candies?”
I'm trying my best to make a decent conversation but I don't think she is helping.
 
“Because I’m not a little girl that would love them just because they give me candies. I don’t like any of them.”
 
“Why-“ before I can ask her something again she already beats me.
 
“Please stop asking ‘why’ all the time. I feel like I have to answer really long and I’m not in the mood to.”
She pops another candy into .
 
“Like answering an essay?”
 
“Yeah, like answering an essay.”
She turns her head to my direction while answering.
 
“Should I just shut my mouth then?”
I look at her eyes and she turns her head facing front again.
 
“That’s up to you.”
 
 
_ * _
 
 
April 1, April Fools
 
April Fools day. Everyone is competing to fool each other. Even this one girl from our class is crying so hard because she's fooled. Everyone is crazy today. And just like any other day, there is one person who is uninterested.
 
The one and only, Han NaRae.
 
The class is it's chaotic mode. Even when there is lessons, they can’t stay put and keep on joking all day. I cab only rest my chin on my hand and stare boredly to the window that shows the cloudy sky. I can guarantee 99% that it will rain by the time we get to go home. I congratulate myself for keeping an umbrella in my locker.
 
_ * _
 
As usual, the teacher is writing who’s going to be in charge for the after school cleaning duty. And unfortunately, it was mine and NaRae’s turn. I stare the board unbelievablely. I am sure the gloomy sky matches my gloomy face, I just hate going home late.
 
After the bell rings, everyone quickly runs out of the class, leaving me and NaRae alone. I have an idea but since it's NaRae were talking about, the percentage of her agreeing is too low. But, it's worth a try, so here goes nothing.
 
“What if we ditch this cleaning duty?”
I really hope she agrees. It's not like I don’t want to clean the class.
“I’m the class rep,” she states while continuing to clean the board.
“But it’s going to rain soon!” I start looking for reasons.
“We both bring umbrellas.”
She doesn’t even spare me a glance.
“Ugh, fine, you won.”
I sighed and arrange the tables.
 
_ * _
 
After an hour of cleaning, I walk towards my locker in a fast pace to grab my yellow umbrella. The sound of the rain starts to get louder and by the time I reah the school gate, it is pouring cats and dogs. I see NaRae at the side of the gate, standing there while staring at the pouring rain.
 
“Why aren’t you going home yet? Are you waiting for someone?” I ask her. She seems surprised to see me still at school.
“It seems that I left my umbrella at home, I can’t find it at my locker,” she replies softly.
“I’ll take you to your house if you want.” I offered.
 
I don’t know what thunder strikes me and gives me the courage to ask her like that, but she nods.
 
_ * _
 
The walk to her house is accompanied by the sound of the rain. It takes us five minutes to get to her neighborhood.
 
“It’s April Fools today, didn’t you try to fool someone today?”
 
Woah, she actually initiated the first move.
 
“I don’t know who I should fool, I guess.”
It was partially true.
“Me?” she suggests, I looked at her surprised but smiled sheepishly.
 
We finally reach her house.
 
“Thank you for the umbrella and for walking me home.”
She bows lightly.
She turns around and reaches her hand to open her door. Before she get inside, I open my mouth.
 
“NaRae-sshi, I love you."
 
Her back's still facing me and she stops in her tracks, the silent accompanies us for a few seconds before I continue.
                                                                    
“Happy April Fools.”