Chapter 3

We Are a Team

  "Welcome to soccer tryouts!" the coach yelled to all the boys lined up on the field. "This year, just like every year before, we will have boy and girl divisions. Meaning, that if you joined to get close to a girl, you will not be seeing them very much. I suggest you leave now." 

  As he pointed towards the locker rooms, two boys looked at each other before the both of them quickly scampered off to get changed. Jun Jin didn't even know people had joined sports just to get close to girls. Why didn't they join soccer just for the fun of it? After all, for him it was a very fun game. As he thought about this, he was suddenly pulled out of his thoughts when the coach started speaking again.

  "Now! We can get on to the selection process. You six!" he yelled, making a cutting motion between the line of boys that seperated them into two groups of six. Pointing to the left one, he motioned for them to be on the left side of the field. "Go down to that side of the field, choose a goalie, two defense, two forwards, and a shooter. Now I know there's no such thing as a shooter in soccer, I will explain later." Hearing this, the group nodded and went down to the field, Jun Jin included.

  "You five and...whoever you are." the coach spoke quietly to the other remaining players. "I want you to take it easy on them, okay? They're probably shaking in their shoes right now just because they know what you're capable of. I just don't want anyone getting hurt before the tournament starts."

  The five boys (Minwoo, Dongwan, Eric, Hyesung, and Andy) nodded, some of them sighing while some of them just grinned before getting to the right end of the field. The last boy trailed behind them, glad he wasn't part of the team that had to go against them.

  Jun Jin was probably the most excited person on the field, jumping up and down on his feet as one of the boys in his group started choosing positions for everyone.

  "I'll be goalie." he spoke, earning groans from the other four students except for Jun Jin. The rest of them knew the only reason he chose to be goalie was because he wouldn't get hurt as much as the rest of them. When you were facing Shinhwa, well let's just say you should fear for your life. 

  Tilting his head slightly, Jun Jin wondered why the rest of them seemed to be afraid but shrugged it off as his bright smile returned.

  "You." the boy said as he reached where Jun Jin was standing. "What do you want to be?" Since there was already a goalie, and two defense, Jun Jin could choose from being a forward or the shooter. He didn't know what the shooter was, but he decided that he'd like to try it.

  "Shooter." he said with a grin on his face, earning some very confused looks from a few of his teamates, wondering why he had chosen probably the worst position to play in. Of course only some of them knew what the shooter was supposed to do, since they had played the game before in last year's soccer league. 

  The last two boys groaned at the prospect of being the forwards but stopped when the coach suddenly yelled again.

  "Okay! I'd like the shooters from both teams to come here! The rest of you get into position!" the coach yelled, blowing into his whistle to get everyone moving. On the other field, the girls were also practicing, but seemed to have a much more carefree attitude than the sense of dread that enveloped the boys field (and all of it was coming from Jun Jin's team).

  As the other's got to their places, Jun Jin and the other team's member were standing in front of the coach.

  "Now, a shooter's job is to kick the ball into the goal." he explained, pointing to both goals on either side of the field. Jun Jin internally happy danced, glad he had chosen to be a shooter. It was lucky of him to choose the position that embodied his strong point, shooting goals. "Normally this would be a forward's job, sometimes even the mid-fielders, but this game is a bit different than normal soccer so this is how we play it. You two," he spoke, pointing to both Jun Jin and the other. "Watch the forwards. They aren't allowed to make goals, only you two. They will be in charge of passing it to you if it's not close to your team's defense. Alright?" Both of the boys nodded before the coach smiled and patted them on the shoulder. "Now go out there and play hard!"

  Nodding again, both Jun Jin and the other boy ran back out onto the field. Jun Jin stood between the forwards, both of them standing on either side of the field just a bit away from him. 

  "Is everyone ready?" the coach asked from the edge of the middle of the field, overlooking everyone. "Minwoo! Dongwan! Stop messing around and get into position!" he yelled as the two boys wrestled each other standing up. Immediately both of them let go of the other and nodded to coach before getting back into their places. "Now we're ready." the coach muttered under his breath before blowing his whistle, starting the game.

  He kicked the ball towards the middle of the field where immediately three of the boys on the field ran towards it. Those included Hyesung, Jun Jin, and the last boy who was the other shooter (let's name him Kibum).

  The first one to reach the ball was Kibum as he tried to dodge around Jun Jin's feet to the other side of the field. 

  "Hyesung! You're defense! Get back!" the coach yelled and Hyesung brought his head down as he stalked off to guard the goal. Normally he'd be out there, kicking the ball with the rest of them, but he was stuck on defense with Andy because Minwoo and Dongwan were the best at kicking the ball down the field.

  Jun Jin quickly turned around as Kibum drove past him onto the left side of the field and ran after him, his cleats digging into the ground as he tried to catch up but damn that kid was fast. Even so, Jun Jin grinned, already having a fun time even though it looked like Kibum would make the goal. As the other shooter kicked it towards the goal, the defense trying to block it but failing, it was barely saved by the goalie who breathed out in relief before holding it above his head.

  "Over here!" Jun Jin yelled and waved his hands to get the goalie's attention, but instead they threw it towards one of the forwards. Knowing he had to get back to the other side of the field, Jun Jin quickly turned around once again as he ran to the other side of the field.

  Kibum came up beside him before passing him completely, still much faster than Jun Jin.

  Hyesung and Andy both prepared on the other side of the field to block them from reaching the goal as Minwoo and Dongwan followed not far behind the group. Even running their hardest, the couldn't catch up to Jun Jin, much less Kibum because of their short legs.

  "Yah! Why are you so short!?" Minwoo yelled to Dongwan as they kept running.

  "Me!? How come you're so short!?" Dongwan yelled back as they both glared at each other but kept pushing on. Kibum had come up next to one of the forwards as Minwoo and Dongwan were bickering, causing a momentary distraction that let the ball slip between the forward's feet. Soon he started to kick it back down the field before Jun Jin was suddenly there next to him, diving down to the ground to kick the ball from his feet as he jumped up as not to trip (like a sweet ground ninja kick e u e). 

  Jun Jin stood up straight with a surprised expression once he realized he had gotten the ball. It was a bit weird though, considering he had never done it before. He'd only ever seen his brother do it before. Shaking it off though, he started kicking the ball back towards the goal Eric was guarding, a happy grin on his face.

  "Jun Jin! Don't think you can get past me!" Hyesung yelled, his fighting spirit burning high once again as he itched to run out of the box his defense position kept him in.

  "Hyung! You forgot about Andy!" Jun Jin yelled, in a poor attempt to make conversation but also distract the older, which surprisingly worked.

  "I'm sorry Andy!" Hyesung suddenly apologized to the younger like the boy he was, always having to apologize when he felt he did something wrong. Andy Just rolled his eyes and ignored his fellow member as he kept his eyes on Jun Jin and the ball he was currently kicking towards them. He was focused on how to get the ball away from Jun Jin when he noticed something suddenly changed in the other boy.

  Jun Jin's expression seemed more focused as he kicked with accuracy, much different from his normal misguided dribbles on the field during their weekly games. Not knowing what had changed and trying to figure it out, Andy momentarily lost focus on keeping the ball away from the goal unlike normal.

  And Jun Jin slipped past him towards the goal.

 

A/N: So here's the next chapter. ^o^ More new stuff happens in the next one! Just to say some things here, if you don't understand the soccer terms don't be afraid to ask me. :D I can explain to you if you want. Or should I just put up a list of positions in the forward? Something like that. Also, if you don't understand how Jun Jin seems to act different, it's about his heart, which I'll explain later in the story. e u e *shot for being a troll* So, there you have it. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with my writing so hopefully this turned out well.

P.S. - I'm finishing this chapter up after midnight so sorry if it . 

P.P.S. - I know some of you are wondering why Andy is so cold and we'll get there soon too! o u o; Hopefully. It all has to due with his past.