Conversations

More Than Perfect
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

A/N: This is my New Year Special ^0^ Yup, I updated on the last day of 2011, and now, the first day of 2012. If you haven't read the previous chappy, Home, I suggest that you go back now ^0^ 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He sat at the far corner of the Chinese restaurant, checking the incoming people every once in a while, waiting for her to arrive. It would probably take a while so Jiyong started to order lunch:  dumplings, pork ribs, spring rolls and Peking Duck. He didn’t know what she’d like but he remembered her daughter mentioning offhandedly that her mom loves Chinese food. The waiter left after repeating his order and once again, he was alone.

Jiyong was a ball of nerves in his seat. It would be the first time he would be having this conversation with her mom and he doesn’t really know how to go about it. But he knew this was the only way. Her parents bought a property near their house and fortunately when he called she was there.

He lifted his gaze once again and thankfully, his aunt arrived looking elegant as always. He pulled out a chair for her, bowing graciously for taking up his invitation for lunch over short notice. It was the woman’s gentle demeanour that calmed him a bit as they went on with the usual pleasantries.

The dishes arrived shortly, one after another, and to his delight, her mom enjoyed the food. While eating, Jiyong couldn’t help but want to find out more about Hae Rin, to ask if she remembers him although his aunt already told Hyun Ae otherwise. He must have projected his concerns very clearly that his aunt went directly to the point.

“I hope she isn’t giving you a hard time. She could be pretty stubborn at times but she is really nice,” she said, offering him a warm smile, taking him by surprise. She correctly assumed that Hae Rin is with him; otherwise, they wouldn’t be having a light conversation. He could see the semblance between mother and daughter in that aspect.

“You don’t have to worry about me. We pretty much get along well,” he replied, with a light chuckle as he was reminded of Hae Rin.

“Oh, good,” she sighed in relief, “Naya has a tendency to distance herself from other people.” It was obviously what she was good at giving the current circumstances and apparently, her mom knows her and that observation alone got the ball rolling. “It started when we left Seoul. I guess changing schools frequently made it even worse.”

Wasn’t it just Hawaii?

She met his confused gaze and said, “She didn’t tell you?”

His silence was enough confirmation she needed to continue. “Your uncle is a plant breeder and he was always assigned to different breeding stations in different countries - Nigeria, Bangladesh, Colombia, and Japan - as he worked with temperate japonica rice. Since it was only the three of us, her dad and I decided that we go where he goes. Then her dad was offered a higher position in Pioneer Hawaii, an international private company, just in time when she was about to enter university,” she elaborated, her voice mellow. Seeing that Jiyong was so intent in listening, she didn’t stop.

“And then right after graduation, we flew back here. It was about time that we settle down for good and we have saved up enough money to put up a pastry shop.” She paused and took a sip of her drink, gauging Jiyong’s reaction. “I guess she never really had the time to get to know other people and vice versa. Yes, she has met quite a lot of people but she never grew close to any of them. I’m just happy that she started going out in the university. But I still can’t tell if she only regarded her classmates as acquaintances and not as friends. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”

Jiyong nodded, trying to grasp everything he heard as his thoughts took him back to that day she ate lunch with the rest of Bigbang. Now it was clear to him why it was easy for her to leave. She never really created connections with other people knowing that nothing would be permanent. Come to think of it, she never really said anything much about her life. It was as if she never let anyone get close enough to affect her life although her mere presence already impacted his. But then again, she agreed to stay with him. And this realization alone gave him hope.

“I feel sorry about leaving, Jiyong,” she said solemnly and his throat felt dry. “It was really hard on her. She never said anything but I know that she cries in her room during the first few months. And she doesn’t like it when we confront her about it. So, we just stopped talking about Korea, hoping that time would help her move on. And she did.”

His heart slammed hard in his chest at the confirmation of his fear. She had forgotten all about him.

“In one of the social functions I attended, I met a friend doctor and I confided with her. She suggested that it was her depression that caused her to forget. She didn’t get to talk to Naya so I was hoping that somehow, she was just avoiding the topic,” she explained, reaching for his hand. “Forgive us for making it hard on you. Then there is the engagement. I hope you see that we feel strongly about this, that the two of you are meant for each other.”

Jiyong clasped a hand over hers and tried to reassure her with his touch. “Thank you for telling me and for trusting me with your daughter. I will do my best for this to work.” Her affirmation of him for her daughter was more than enough encouragement.

He gained some relief by having this conversation with her mom. It will help him on how to deal with Hae Rin better. He will close the gap that she unconsciously created.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Please log in to read the full chapter