One

Fragments of Hearts

There were patterns in Jung Soojung’s love life, when it all started with the so-called business relationship to something more, but that was it, the doubt came and suddenly everything became nothing more. Because love life was supposed to be this harsh in entertainment industry, that was what she had witnessed all those years.

But this one person made everything looked so easy. Kang Minhyuk. He made her comfortable way too easy for her likeness. It could be after years grew up in this world that she became expert of awkward atmosphere or he was an extraordinarily good at socialize. Soojung couldn’t decide which answer it could be because the drummer had shockingly many friends in this industry behind that calm and quiet demeanor, so it must be the later right?

Warm eyes smile and much warmer voice definitely one of skill he kept under his sleeves beside that awesome drumstick spinning.

That was what she would like to believe. Minhyuk’s ‘how to’ winning so many hearts of people.

“—Soojung-sshi? This is where you need to say your lines…right?” Definitely that sweet warm voice was God’s masterpiece, Soojung thought. Wait… what? She missed the part again?

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Soojung exclaimed embarrassedly, looking at the suddenly the most interesting things in the world, the floors. Minhyuk’s laugh was another God’s send to the earth but Soojung collected herself and tried not to obviously fawn over it. Then she felt a gentle pat on her head.

“What are you sorry about? I made more mistakes than you…”

This and Soojung decided she didn’t need something more. She was more than happy to be Lee Bona forever.

***

I was warned about people like you. The one so beautiful that outstanding the greatest gems. Laugh like a melody, and soft smile that melt some heart. Mind so strong built years by tough experience yet heart so soft and fragile sculptured by heartbreak.

I was told to keep away because you’re addicting. Like a maze of mystery, hard to get in and much harder to get out. You’re capable of destroying me, bit by bit, until ashes are all I am left with.

I was prepared not to fall for you. With more than enough defense I went. That and I realized, I would never win the battle. One smile and that was end of the game, you kill my king without even move a single tile.

I was one who never took risk. Moved with calculated plans until I got the save place.

Now, I’m willing to take risk, no matter how great it is. Because I’ve nothing to lose since you’d already stole one precious heart I had left, and maybe I have only this one chance to steal yours.

Let’s forget about ‘what ifs’, and take the risk, will you?

***

A man standing by the side of Han River in the middle of spring night was something that came out from cliché movies. But here he was nonetheless, tightened his jacket for protecting his dear body from the crisp air. The view was no joke beautiful, but his heart was too anxious for such a beauty. He sure had faith but the doubt still bigger. It was a difficult thing to fall for someone so gorgeous yet so insecure. This was a biggest step he had ever take in his whole love life’s, for finally took some action instead of waiting for something. He was going to make that something into reality.

But again, here he was, yet waiting again, but for once for miracle.

A hurried step was heard, and by the time he turned, he saw her. Covered with layers of shawl, beanie, and coat stood a girl he had been waiting for. It was a good cover she wore, but a man in love would certainly recognize his loved one.

“This is so stupid.” She shouted while threw the paper to the man in front of her. The man just smiled warmly, extended his hand to grab the woman and engulfed her in his embrace like a precious things she were.

“But you came…” He whispered, softly patting the girl’s head.

“You’re so stupid!” she shouted, hitting the man with her fist but never really put effort to get out of his hug.

“But you still came…”

“You’re still stupid!” The man just laughed and hugged her more.

“Because this is the reality, just stupid Kang Minhyuk who worried about a lot of things—“

“I’m so stupid,” she cut him off, then sighed exasperatedly, “Why am I even here? You’re so stupid and talking nonsense and everything is just stu—”

“ Stupid? Yeah, I know. There is only so many stupid you could say in an hours. Let’s be stupid together and grab some food? There’s a starving fool here for your information.” Minhyuk ruffled the girl hair playfully, some habit he picked out from so many repetition of that particular scene, one reason he was really glad to be Yoon Chanyoung.

Kang Minhyuk was a fellow co-worker once, easily slipped into more than that by his comforting demeanor, but comfy only held so much until it will start to bleed… That was when Jung Soojung started to build up her wall because she would not want any other heartbreak after so many failed relationships. But then maybe this was that famous one chance of a lifetime, when she was willing to take whatever risk they’ll heading, Soojung knew not to miss the chance once for all.

Jung Soojung looked up from her high pulled shawl around her neck to Minhyuk, seeing the stars that lingered in his crescent eyes smile, she unconsciously mirrored his smile. “Such a fool!” She shouted at him, but there was no bite in her words as she laughed through it.

 “Well, still, you can’t resist me anyway.”

Definitely couldn’t resist that smile, but Soojung would never admit that, and instead she smacked the drummer’s head as hard as she could, “Shut up!” Soojung muttered.

Minhyuk laughed again, the sounds so beautiful in her ears. With linked arms they walked side by side to fill the fool’s starving stomach.

***

I was warned about people like you. The one so foolish it rubbed all over your face in a form of that foolish yet calming smile. But foolish and stupid could be comfortable too. And this letter doesn’t mean anything. There is not even a heart in this. So, don’t you dare assume anything!

Oh, and I will?