#

Not What It Looks Like

 

 

 

He doesn’t remember when it got so bad, actually to be honest he doesn’t even remember what triggered this strange line of events because last time Junmyeon checked, princesses were the only ones who were ever abducted and who ever went missing and princes were the ones who were meant to save them.

 

But it had started only recently, and as he trips over his own feet, rocks skidding beneath his worn out soles and the ground rumbling, he feels almost ridiculously out of place.

 

The cave is huge, as well as the mountain, and he doesn’t know what time of the day or how long he’s been hiding here this time, but he knows there has to be an opening somewhere and he’s ready to jump if he so has to, that is if a certain someone doesn’t come find him soon.

 

Junmyeon inwardly curses as his toes clash with a particularly large rock and he lands headfirst in a pile of stones, its’ pitch black one second and then the ground shakes once more and the entire cave lights up in red. Junmyeon’s knees go weak as he hears the dragon roar and in the brief moment that the cave is lit up he spots a small passage that has to lead somewhere at least. He’s never been in this part of the mountain, because there is no light what so ever and as he stumbles towards what he hopes is an exit, he feels the ground shake extra hard, and before he knows it there are rocks tumbling around him, and he is tumbling along with them.

 

 

 

 

“This is the third time in a month, Junmyeon”! His father’s voice thunders throughout the castle and Junmyeon’s teeth rattle as he bites down.

 

It’s actually the fourth time in a month that his father’s troops have had to retrieve him, unharmed, but a bit beat up, from the same area in the mountains. They all know the drill by now but the king is absolutely furious, and Junmyeon suspects it might have to do with the fact that his youngest son has become the favorite toy of a very large dragon, but maybe that’s just a wild assumption…

 

“It’s a waste of resources and a waste of my time”, He growls and grips the armrests of his throne so hard that if they weren’t made of solid gold, Junmyeon fears they might break, “Haven’t I told you to keep your sword at hand at all times?? Haven’t I”???!?

 

“Yes father, yes you have”, Junmyeon says weakly and brushes a few stray hairs behind his ear, he’s not sure what he is expected to do about the issue because it’s not as if he has any real actual control over it.

 

His father has completely surrounded his room with guards and no one is allowed to enter it after the sun sets, not even his own brother, and on top of that his room has been re-located to the highest tower, with a view so threatening that Junmyeon doesn’t even dare peek out his window.

 

This however, somehow doesn’t change anything, not really.

 

There’s also a small detail that Junmyeon carefully keeps concealed, and that is that the dragon just happens to be very handsome, and very kind, and Junmyeon is the one who opens his window at night when the sound of wings resound through the night.

 

Dragons aren’t exactly known to be docile, but Wu Yifan is an entirely different story and as the king continues to scold Junmyeon for his recklessness, he can’t help the way the corners of his mouth twitch upwards ever so slightly.

 

 

 

 

Large hands cover his face and pull him behind a pile of rocks just as he reaches an exit, bright light filtering through the hole in the stone wall and Junmyeon winces because he’s so close to sunlight and he desperately needs it.

 

“Wait”, comes a deep voice from behind him, and he rolls his eyes as he catches a glimpse of bright hair.

 

Moments after the words leave Yifan’s mouth, Junmyeon can see the large dragon pass by the mountain side before disappearing into the cave once more, and then finally, silence. They stand rooted for a few more seconds, just breathing, waiting, before Yifan heaves a loud sigh of relief, releasing Junmyeon from his grip.

 

“Is he really that mad”? Junmyeon asks, but immediately regrets it as the tall boy shoots him a glare.

 

They make their way out of the cave onto green grass, Junmyeon careful not trip as his feet still ache from running on hard rocks completely barefoot, and Yifan with a steady hand on his shoulder.

 

“I had to explain to him why I keep ‘kidnapping’ the same prince, and why I haven’t kidnapped a single princess”, Yifan mutters with a pout, bending down to tear up a lump of grass as they walk.

 

“What did you say this time”, Junmyeon watches as the light-haired boy rips the grass to shreds, before tossing it into the air in a burst of flames.

 

Yifan grins but doesn’t meet his eyes, “I told him you were exceptional at chess and that I couldn’t’ help myself”.

 

Junmyeon scoffs and pushes him, shaking his head at the other male, “No really, what did you say”?

 

Yifan groans and is then quiet for a while, and when they near the edge of the field where the river begins, Junmyeon almost thinks he won’t be getting an answer. His toes dig into the muddy grass as they finally come to a stop and Yifan sighs again.

 

“I told him I wasn’t interested in princesses”, he mumbles, near unintelligibly.

 

Junmyeon smiles and wraps his arms around the boy, chuckling when his long arms envelope him in a bear hug and he lifts him off his feet, spinning him around. When he’s put back down again they both grin at each other.

 

“Have fun explaining to the king where your shoes went”, Yifan says and leans down to peck Junmyeon on the cheek before backing away, and Junmyeon flushes in response.

 

“Have fun explaining to your father why you keep kidnapping the prince”, he shouts after Yifan whom has already began to shift into his form.

 

He watches the golden dragon spread his wings and swears he can hear Yifan’s rumbling laughter as the beast lifts into the sky. He rolls his eyes and begins counting up excuses he hasn’t used yet while turning to cross the river and head back to the castle.