Morning Indulgence

Scenting Kisses

  There's a reason why Yixing is the best hunter of the pack. Other than being possibly the fastest among his pack, he also has an impeccable sense of smell. Being raised as a wolf most of his life, his senses heightened, giving him an advantage in things such as hunting, and knowing who is around him. It also tells him when his mate is no longer in his arms by the time he woke up.

  While Yixing can immediately tell what he's smelling practically all of the time, Jongdae was a different matter. The younger had a sweet addictive scent that was neither fruity nor flowery. Yixing could never figure out what it was. Was it cologne he bought from one of those malls he go to? Or did he get it as a gift from Luhan who constantly brought back something from the humans despite Kris' warnings. Maybe it was from the scent of the woods that was masked with other things. Yixing didn't know, there are few things he could tell from the scent of his mate such as the delicious smell of blood rushing when Jongdae was either hyped up, full of adrenaline, or just begging for it.

  So when Yixing woke to the smell of drool that was too close to his nose, he quickly turned away to find the lacking scent of his mate. He could catch only a whiff of the sweet smell mingling with the dusty scent of morning air. He opened his eyes blearily to see the space next to his was empty. He frowned and threw his arm out, just to make sure it was really empty. All he could feel was the cloth of bedspread underneath his fingers, not the smooth skin he wanted.

  Sighing, he got up, scratching his neck, wondering where Jongdae had went off to. How could the younger just left like that? Yixing didn't even get his good morning kiss. Wasn't it a human tradition for lovers to kiss when they wake up? Weren't you supposed to kiss your partner awake if you woke up earlier? Isn't that how it goes?

  Yixing was pulled out of his thoughts when his ears perked at the sound of laughter that was practically music to his ears. Automatically, his brains finally seemed to interpret enough for him to get out of bed and out of the room to look for that pretty mate of his. The sweet scent of the younger got stronger when he stepped out of the house, concluding his theory of Jongdae being outside.

  He caught sight of the younger chatting animatedly with Baekhyun who decided to dye his brown locks blonde. He was sitting on a low tree branch, telling Jongdae about his little adventure to the hairdresser, his legs hardly touching the ground. Jongdae was leaning against the tree, laughing amusedly at how the other's excitement on something so common. Yixing found himself smiling in adoration when his mate began to whine at Baekhyun’s teasing.

  His ears twitched at a snap that was barely heard. Yixing immediately narrowed over to his target. The two friends didn’t seem to be bothered much by it, or maybe they just didn’t hear it. But Yixing knew better, his senses were tingling as his eyes searched the bushes just behind them. What could it be? He was immediately prepared to switch and attack any unwanted intruder. He could hear the ruffles of the bush leaves. It was getting closer, he could tell.

  A dark brown wolf leaped out and pounced on Baekhyun, tackling him to the ground. The brunette let out a surprised yelp, as Jongdae quickly moved out of their way. He was lucky he wasn’t too high up the tree, and would only get scrapes at most. They could still hear Baekhyun’s half muffled shouts as the wolf started to nuzzle against him while ignoring the smaller’s futile hits.

  “Get off me, you big, fat – ew!” Baekhyun wiped his cheek in disgust, glaring at his mate who decided to stray from tradition and gave him a morning instead.

  Yixing relaxed his stance when he caught the wolf’s scent, recognizing it  instantly. He averted his attention away and back to his precious mate who was watching them, clearly amused. Jongdae finally caught his scent and turned to give him a smile that always left Yixing breathless.

  “Morning.”

  It didn’t take long for Yixing to immediately embrace Jongdae back into his arms where he was meant to be. His arms wrapped around the younger, while he buried his nose in the crook of his neck. He was immediately hit by that addictive smell that was indefinitely Jongdae’s. The smell of the woods, tainted with something sweet – honey? No, that wasn’t it. There was a hint of something, he couldn’t quite decipher it. He leaned in, trying to get more of it.

  “You’re sniffing me again,” Jongdae commented, feeling the other’s nose trailing his neck. He tilted his head anyway, giving him a better access. He could never really understand Yixing’s habit of sniffing him, even after two years of being together. But he still wrapped his arms around the elder, welcoming his embrace.

  “You smell nice,” Yixing murmured before pulling back, and looking at him, expectantly.

  “What?”

  “I want my morning kiss,” Yixing said childishly in a slightly demanding tone.

  Jongdae arched an eyebrow at him and replied teasingly, “I don’t have it.”

  Yixing let out a whine and leaned in, pressing their foreheads together until their noses touch, whispering, “Jongdae ah, give me my morning kiss please.”

  Jongdae couldn’t find it in himself to deny the simple request and simply leaned in closer, closing the gap between them. The kiss was short and ended too quickly for their liking. It wasn’t a peck, but it wasn’t a kiss that showed signs of getting heated anytime soon. It was a kiss, the kind Yixing loved to get, first thing he woke up every morning. He found himself leaning in again, even after Jongdae pulled away.

  “Come on, the others will wake up soon,” Jongdae said, taking hold of his hand and tugging him along as he walk back into their house. “Xiumin and Tao went to wash themselves first, but they promised to bring some food back.”

  Yixing nodded, following absentmindedly.

  The couple left Baekhyun who had transformed into a brown wolf himself and really, he didn’t like it when Chanyeol seemed to laugh at the blonde patches on his head that was due to the hair dye. The two rolled around on the ground, trying to get the upper hand on the other, blissfully unaware of the world.

***

This is an old one shot I never got around to finish so I figured why not post and try it out in the competition.

Tell me your thoughts, and wish me luck!