.Chapter 01

Demon Beside Me

Before going to her classes, Hari toasted her bread as quickly as possible, so that she would not be late for her first day in university. She imagined that it would be completely different from her high school - with the biggest changing being that she does not need to wear a school uniform anymore, not that she did not mind the same clothes everyday instead of having trouble deciding what to wear.

She lived in a single-room dorm, and had just moved in, so she had no idea who her fellow "dormies" were yet. She wanted to meet them in the evening time, so that she could befriend some other first-year students.

She peered through the corridor, but no one was there. Was it because she was too early? After all, she wanted to get to class a few minutes early so that she would have time to settle down and be prepared. Nonetheless, she left the dormitory and walked to her first class’s building.

The building itself was not that far from the dormitories, so Hari only had a brisk walk over to her first class. She noticed a few people dashing about and noticed that there was one guy who had an ominous aura surrounding him. He had his head down, and Hari could not see his facial features. The guy was not looking where he was going, or at least, that’s what Hari had thought, and he brushed his shoulder against hers.

Almost instantly, she could feel a cold chill up her spine. Hari turned around, but the guy had already disappeared from her sight. Not wanting to feel down for her class, she set aside the incident.

In her first class, there was always this guy who would raise up his hand to answer every single question, to the extent of becoming annoying in both his voice and actions. However, the professor was quite delighted for someone to answer his questions.

“Yoseob!” The professor would always brightly call out, with both of his hands pointing at him.

Yoseob would jump up and answer in an energetic tone, and then bounce back down into his seat, content at his own answer.

“Aaaaand,” Yes, this professor sounds very much like a game show MC, lengthening some words and rolling out syllables, “you are correct!’

Hari wanted to slap her forehead with her palm every single time this happened during the class. This will be one long, long year... She thought to herself.

To her horror, the Yoseob guy seemed to have been in every class she had during the day. Tired and not wanting to do anything academic related, she headed back to the dorms, where she could meet everyone.

She opened the door to the common room and once again, the Yoseob guy was already there, chatting away with the group.

"And then..." Yoseob looked over to see Hari. "Come in! Come in! There's still lots of room here!" He turned back to the group, "as I was saying..."

Hari had doubts that she wanted to even get near this guy, but he was very welcoming in his tone and actions.

"A girl disappeared from second year, just before the school year started. THIS school year!" Yoseob continued. "It's not in the university school paper yet, but since I am a news reporter, I have first class access to these top secret infos!"

"What happened?" A girl asked.

Yoseob turned to her. "No one really knows, but apparently, they recently found a dead body floating in the water by the docks. People suspect it belongs to the second year girl. How scary is this?!"

Hari shivered. Oh great. First thing I hear is that a girl is found dead in the water near the university. Note to self: never go out alone to the docks.

"You aren't lying, are you?" A guy laughed.

Yoseob shook his head. "The university papers will not tolerate false information, especially when it's related to death, so I am a hundred percent positive that this is a real case!"

"Do you think this is a case of suicide, or a murder mystery?" Another girl excitedly asked.

"Don't get your hopes up on something juicy." Yoseob shrugged.

Reluctant to hear any further into the story, Hari left the common room to go back to her own room. Momentarily, the group in the common room had scattered, and she noticed that Yoseob's room was to the left of hers.

You've got to be kidding me. Hari thought. She looked to the right. I hope the person who's living there is better than him. She expected that Yoseob would be loud and obnoxious throughout the night.

A girl walked past Hari.

"Excuse me, do you know who is staying in that room?" Hari pointed to the door on her right.

The girl shook her head. "I don't think I've ever seen someone come out or in from that room."

This made Hari wonder even more as to who sleeps there.