Unexpected

Unexpected

Isn’t it surreal how life is unexpected? Not just the everyday happenings that were never planned for and are sometimes a hardly ideal part of your day, but also the single most terrifying fact that a life could be gone in a single fleeting moment.

One second you could be walking casually down the street, getting swept away with the breeze and the bustle of city life. But the next second you could be sprawled all over the sidewalk in a mangled heap of bones and flesh while your blood becomes the new paint job for some car trying out for the races.

Or you could be relaxing on your heavenly mattress made of the softness of clouds being absorbed into a movie that has your mind retracting itself from reality, until you find yourself the victim of a robbery gone wrong. Of course at this point, why would the robber decide to leave a witness alive?

Or maybe the expiration date of a life is not fully unexpected. Someone could decide at any moment that their life would be better cut short, that their time has ended and there is nothing for them on the earth any longer. At this point is life still unexpected? Is it still something that comes barreling through the front door slamming you back into a reality that you dare not even dream of?

I guess it isn’t unexpected either when you see your life heading in that damned direction but your grip on the reins are too lose. You’re fighting and straining to hold on to the one thing tying you to reality but unfortunately the fight takes too much energy and eventually they slip through your fingers and you find yourself on a crash course to a single grave. The Fates have finally cut your thread of life and there is really nothing holding you back.

It’s unfortunate that this happens, but not unexpected. Unless, of course you are the oblivious outsiders looking in to our locked cage; seeing but not really knowing what is going on. That’s part of the problem though isn’t it? You feel as though you’ve locked yourself in a cage but left the key on the outside. Only the people on the outside don’t see the key; they don’t even think that the door is locked. Only you know how trapped in yourself you truly are.

I guess this is where I should end. I could go on but I probably shouldn’t. Every life is precious. You realize that and all you are worth right at the end; right before your final breath makes the encore appearance. Life is unexpected so it is worth living and worth fighting for. I just realized that too late.

 

**********

 

The tear drops painting the letter was only the beginning of the emotion that was rampaging through him. He knew something was wrong, but didn’t know exactly what it was. He felt at fault, he felt he should have done more. After reading your letter and looking over your now pale and frigid body his only thought was:

Please forgive me. I was too late.”

 

 

A/N Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed this and it wasn't too sad for you. I got the inspiration from a death that just happened in my family. It wasn't a suicide but I decided to change it so that it was one. Please feel free to comment. They are much appreciated!! Love you all ^^