#9

Doctors

"So guys, now that exams are over, we can finally relax!" Mimi shouted as she twirled around her friends in her elated state. After three torturous weeks of examinations, the cursed thing had finally come to an end, and all the students rejoiced.

Now that the tests are out of the way, everybody was focusing on the 'End of The Year School Dance' and it was no different for Saehyun's friends. Nowadays, all they talked about was the dance, such as what dresses they would wear, which dates they would go with, until she could take no more of it. "So, Saehyun-ah, who are you going to the dance with?" Sunjoo asked, bringing up the darned topic again.

She shrugged her shoulders, not taking her eyes off her phone(She was playing Flappy Bird). "I dont know. Nobody asked me yet." Shin Rena looked at her in confusion and asked, "Isn't Minho going to ask you? What's taking him so long?"

"He hasn't asked me yet. The Doctor's been busy these days." She said plainly. 

It was true that Minho was very busy lately. He was always either playing soccer, studying, or arranging the school dance since he was chosen to be one of the coordinators in charge of the occasion. It has been hard for her to talk to him but she understands and she decided to give him space to deal with the things that are happening in his life at the moment.

Although she understands, Saehyun's life had been less hectic and exciting ever since he got busy. Usually, she would keep her phone close by her side to reply to his texts but since there were no texts recently, she had neglected her phone. She was all sorts of things: bored, lonely and ridiculously upset.

She misses even the simplest things about being with him. His narcissism, his laugh, his scientific yet corny pick-up-lines, the way he would obsess over Batman and Spongebob Squarepants(That was, by the way, so dorky of him).

She misses their movie nights where each of them would nominate a movie and then watch it together. She'd miss their pizza dates, and how he'd try to steal her pizza crusts and fail every time. Their unplanned dates were the most fun, they'd usually head off somewhere random and interesting and have a good time.

She misses them.

The texts that were daily, turned weekly, and they rarely see eachother now because of the difference in their schedules. "It's okay Saehyun-ah, he'll ask you sooner or later. He's probably got too much in his mind right now." Mimi assured her with a smile. 

She plastered a smiled back. "Sure. Sure he will."

 

---------------------------------------

 

Even though school was practically over, the junior and highschool students were asked to come to school to prepare for the end of the year event. Saehyun usually just sat in her classroom, waiting for her friends to give her something to do since she wasn't in charge of anything. Often, she'd go on errands for her friends just to pass the time.

One quiet afternoon, Saehyun was all alone in the class room, sketching in her drawing book. The book was filled the pictures that she drew since she was in 8th Grade. This time, she was drawing Minho. 

In her drawing, he was writing seriously in his Biology notebook with his eyebrows slightly scrunching up and his lower lips, partly bit by his front teeth. His dark-brown, wavy hair was ruffled messily along his forehead, framing his face perfectly. She was surprised as to how accurately she drew him and smiled at her work.

"I didnt know you draw so well," 

She turned around in her chair to see who was speaking. It was the guy who Minho accused of liking her because he was staring at her in Biology class. Saehyun still couldn't remember his name.. What was it again?

"Umm, thankyou. I dont draw that well but thanks anyway." she muttered, still trying to remember the guy's name. He was looking at her with a mischievious  yet calm look. 

After a moment of silence, the guy spoke again. "I'm not sure we have introduced ourselves, have we?" He gave out his hand to her, offering her a handshake. She reached out her own and accepted it. "I'm Kim Kibum, but my friends call me Key." 

"Why Key?" she asked, lifting her eyebrows. He raked his jet-black hair with his fingers, not looking at her as he answered, "Why not?"

She scoffed a laugh at him and observed him. He was dressed in regular school uniform, but his ear-piercings and the variety of rings decorating his hands made him stand out from other people. His eyes reminded her of a cat, dark and mysterious looking. Just then Key grabbed for her sketchbook, catching her completely off-guard. "Yah- Give that back!" she exclaimed out of shock.

He simply ignored her and kept on flipping the pages of her book. After staring at each drawing, he stopped at the last one. The one with Minho. 

"Is that Choi Minho?" he reffered to the drawing. She snatched her book from him, closing it immediately. "Yes- Wait, why do you care?"

Key tilted his head to the side, which seems to be his own way of 'shrugging'. "Nothing. I was just making sure I was right." She eyed him suspiciously, "What  was right?"

"You like Choi Minho, right?" He looked at her flustered face, "It's too obvious that you do."

She switched her expression back to a poker one. "Yes, I do happen to like him-" she added a pause, "-and why is that any of your business?"

He shook his head slightly and smiled as he walked towards the door, going out of the classroom. "It's not my business, no. But it's a shame that you do like him. Has he asked you to go with him to the dance?"

Ugh, not the whole 'school dance' topic again. Saehyun swore that if she ever hears that resentful word again, she might burst. "No, he hasn't." She said quietly.

Key smiled, showcasing his perfectly white teeth. "Well in that case, Kim Saehyun, if he is still not asking you later, call me." He said with a wink before leaving. 

Saehyun just sat still in bewilderment. What just happened? Was Minho right about him? Why does she seem to attract big-headed, self absorbed dorks? And lastly,

How did that guy even know her name?

 

-----------------------------------

 

Choi_Minho

Hey,, It's been a while :)
Felt like such a long time since
we talked.

Helloo
                  It's not that long..
                            probably a week or so

Oh really?
Felt like it was long to me.
hahaha

      Oh really?
        Hahaha lol

Yeahh
Anyways, what have u been up to?

   Hmm..
                                 I've been doing nothing.
          Literally. lol
                                                            Just helping out with the school dance
        and such.

Ohh haha okayy
Btw

    Yea??

Look what I found on Twitter

    What?

1. What's your name?
2. The name of the teacher in Glee is..
3. Q, R, S, T, ..., V
4. .... had a little lamb
5. Us is made from you and ...

What?
           What's that?

A quiz. hahah try answering.

Okay..
                 1. Kim Saehyun
                    2. Will Schuester
3. U    
 4. Mary
5. Me 

..... oh my god
u just ruined it
lol haha

            Ruined what?

It's supposed to go like this..
1. Kim Saehyun
2. Will
3. U
4. Mary
5. Me

                      Ohh,, whoops haha
                  Well I didnt know
                                      But who proposes like that?
                So lame. ahaha

Hahaha i just found a picture on Twitter
of a guy proposing like that.
I was trying to find out if it works.

          Okay hahaha
       Alright then

Yeah haha
Hey,, are u doing something now?

           Right now??
                 Nope, not really.
                       Just chatting with u.

I'm guessing..
U're in your room?

       Yess. Why?

U wanna hang out?

                                             Yeahh sure. I was bored anyways

Greatt hahah
Cause I'm already outside of your house.

 

--------------------------------------

 

Saehyun frantically ran towards her windows and looked outside. It was a cold winter evening outside and she couldn't see that well. After scanning the area for a while, she finally noticed a figure leaning on a tree nearby, wearing jeans and his dark-blue signature hoodie. She quickly grabbed her jacket, changed into her jeans and slipped on her boots, yelling out to her mom that she will go out for a while.

As she ran out into the cold, she saw the figure walking towards her too. Minho was smiling warmly to her, and he looked joyful, but she couldn't help but to notice the bags under his dark-brown eyes, and the way he walks. It used to be so light and cheery, but not now. His posture was a bit sagged, as if there were enormous weights on his shoulders.

She hugged him in greeting and he returned her gesture, enveloping her tiny figure with his tall one. "I missed you." she heard him speak.

"I missed you too. But it's okay." she sighed, "I got my dramas and animes to keep me company."

He laughed as he retracted from her, observing her face. "You and your dramas."

She looked around their surroundings and put her hands in her jacket. It was freezing out there. "Why didn't you say you were coming here before? Must've been hard to stay out in the snow." she asked.

Minho shrugged lightly. "I wasn't planning to come here, but I did." She gave him a questioning look, "Where did you come from anyway?" she asked again.

"I was at my part-time job in the guitar store. The one in that mall we went to," he explained. Saehyun just looked at him in confusion because she did not know he even had a part-time job until now. "You are a part-timer?"

Minho nodded. "Yeah, I work there as the cashier after school. The owner of the store is a relative of mine so he let me have the job."

"Oh, why did you want to work? Did you need extra money?" she questioned. He smiled and answered, "Well, yeah. I mean, it's pretty useful you know. You get to buy food with it, purchase new video games, and spend it to go shopping with your girlfriend.."

Saehyun froze in position, her mind still buffering from the information. "Wait.. So you're telling me, that you used your own money for me?" she said after a long time processing. "Next time, dont spend it on stuff like that, please. It'll all go to waste."

She felt guilty for some reason. It wasn't right of her to make him spend his money like that but it wasn't entirely her fault. Yeah. Who was it that wanted to go shopping? Not her. Even though she reasoned to herself like that in her mind, she still wasnt at ease.

Minho frowned and looked at her. "Why would it go to waste? I like doing stuff for you. Infact, I enjoy spoiling you. It's my money, let me do what I want." he said sternly as he turned and walked away from her. "You know, sometimes, it'd be great to only hear a thankyou. Not just complaints."

She looked at him from behind, he was walking in a lifeless manner, but it also looked very impatient. Without thinking, she walked to him, her pace fastened, and she gradually broke into a run. As she neared him, she wondered what to do. If she touches him, it might anger the sulky guy, if she talks, would he listen?

Her fingers grabbed on to the cloth on his sleeve, making him halt. He looked down at her as she was hunching down, trying to catch her breath after the sprint. "I'm so sorry. I'm not good at words, and unlike you, i can't really express myself easily." she said quietly.

He saw her straighten up her back, looking him in the eyes with her own, dark ones. "If you havent realised, I'm a really awkward person. If I get embarrassed, I dont know what to do and I'd try to deal with the awkwardness with my nagging, or jokes. When you gave me your marks, and when you shopped for me, I was too shy to say thankyou, but I was. I just couldn't say it."

"Thankyou." she half-whispered. "Are you mad?"

She felt his hands going around her shoulders, and suddenly, she felt a light peck on her forehead. Minho's lips stayed there for a couple of seconds before he took it back. "How could I when you're being so cute?" he said, smiling.

Saehyun jabbed his stomach with her finger, making him jump. "Yah! What was that for?" she exclaimed loudly.

He looked at her in confusion but smiled after a while. "Is this what you meant about you nagging people when you're embarassed?" he said, reffering to her words a few minutes ago. She just squinted at him, "Dont you try to sass me, Choi Minho."

He laughed at her and took her hand in his as they walked. "Let's go get ice cream, what do you think?" he asked her. She nodded and said, "Okay, but this time, I'm buying. I've never done anything for you, come to think of it."

Minho smiled, "Ice cream sounds good."

 

-----------------------------------

 

They were sitting infront of a mini-market, eating their vanilla ice creams. It was another common interest they shared, liking the taste of vanilla more than chocolate. "So what are you busy with, these days?" she asked, breaking the silence.

He paused from eating his ice cream and said, "Well, you know. I've been organizing the dance, there's a football match with another school next week, I was chosen to be in a band for the school-dance, so I was practicing with them alot.. and I've got my part-time job." he listed.

She glanced at him, "I didn't know you were playing in a band. Let me guess, you're the guitar?"

Minho replied, "Yeah, you're right. Hahaha. We're going to be in charge for the music for the event. And i've been practicing my guitar and singing skills a lot." she stayed silent and kept on eating her melting ice cream.

Isn't he ever going to ask her to the dance? Saehyun had thought about it alot and argued internally whether to ask him or not. But she figured he'll ask sooner or later if she mentions the dance a lot. So she kept quiet.

"I should take you back to your house. It's almost 7PM." Minho said, looking at his wrist-watch. She muttered a 'yes' as she stood up to leave. Her mom might be wondering where she was. So they walked side-by-side to her house.

When she got home, her mom was in the living room, waiting for her. When she saw Minho behind her, her mom stood up and greeted them both. "Hello Eomonni. I'm sorry if we worried you." Minho said in an unusually polite tone. Saehyun's mom smiled, "It's okay. Thankyou for bringing her back home, Minho."

Saehyun just stood there, wondering what to say. "Mom, Minho's going to go back home now. So, yeah. Say goodbye Minho." she said, urging him to go to the door. Her mom clicked her tongue in annoyance. "Saehyun-ah. Where are your manners?" she turned towards Minho and said, "Why dont you stay with us for dinner? I assume you havent eaten already?"

Saehyun sighed, not just because of her mom's scolding, but also because Minho was staying for dinner. It would be super awkward, and her brother would non-stop later. "Sure, I'd love to. Thankyou." he replied to her mother. Saehyun gave him a glare as she went upstairs to her room to change clothes, leaving him alone with her mom. Serves him right.

Dinner wasn't as bad as she thought it would be, it was worse. It was so awkward for her the whole time and she didn't know what to say, but Minho was fine, happy infact, to answer the questions her parents asked him. She was also slightly impressed with how he tolerated her annoying brother.

At first, the young boy would make subtle yet teasing comments about her and Minho but he just smiled or laughed at it. After some time, Minho was able to gain her brother's favour by talking about his favorite video game.

"So, are you in one class with our Saehyun?" her dad asked as he put a spoonful of food in his mouth. Minho nodded calmly and said, "We do have the same subjects, but I'm from another section. She's in 10A and I'm in 10B."

"Oh, which classes do you both take?" Saehyun's mom added, ignoring her daughter who was staring at her, signaling her to stop with the questions. "We take Chemistry, Biology, Computer and English Literature together." he answered.

Her dad took a sip from his glass of water before he talked, "So you both take science classes?"

Minho nodded. "Yes, since we have the same ambition of becoming doctors, we both take science." Her mom snapped her fingers and pointed her index finger towards Saehyun. "Oh, is that why your shipping name is Doctors?"

Saehyun drowned in her seat, "Yes, please dont talk about that mom.." she pleaded. Minho glanced at her, a smirk on his face. "Eomonni how did you know about the shipping?"

Her mom gestured to Saehyun. "That girl told me all about it." making her daughter's face stiffer than it was before. "Anyways, what doctor do you want to become?"

He sat for a while, thinking seriously. "I want to either become a cardiologist or a surgeon." her dad suddenly looked at Saehyun, "What did you want to become, sweetie? Was it a plastic surgeon?"

She sighed, he always get mixed up. "I want to be a dermatologist, but plastic surgery is okay too, i guess."

They talked about it for a couple more minutes before her brother bluntly asks, "What does your parents do?" Saehyun stared at him, scolding him mentally for his rude behaviour.

"My father runs a boxing training centre in Germany, and my mother is a bussiness woman who lives with me. They were divorced when I was four." he said plainly. "Do you visit your father often?" her dad asked.

Minho shook his head, "No, since he is so far away, but I plan on going to Germany for college so I'll see him then." Saehyun's parents just nodded their heads.

Saehyun's mother suddenly exclaimed, "Goodness it's already 8PM. Shouldn't your mom be worried, Minho?" He smiled and said, "I already told her earlier on the phone that I was having dinner at my friend's house, so she's fine."

He stood up and bowed his head to her family, "I'm going to leave now because I still need to get my mom's groceries on the way home. She asked me to do so from the phonecall. Thankyou for the nice meal."

Her parents went and said their goodbyes to him, so does her brother, and she showed him the door. "Hey, thanks for having me in your family dinner today." he said as they were standing on the porch. She smiled at him, "Dont thank me, thank my mom. Hahaha."

Minho tousled her hair with his hands, making it messy. "Good bye Kim Saehyun, see you around." then he walked away into the night.

 

----------------------------------------