Thirty Eight

Let Me Read Your Mind
 || CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT|| Believed

We fit together right.

{Jihae}

“Morning Gorgeous.”

I hear Baekhyun say when I wake up that morning. At first I’m afraid all of it is just a dream. I’m afraid everything that happened yesterday or perhaps this morning never did. But when I see Baekhyun’s face, I’m reassured and a blissful smile forms on my face.

“Morning.” I reply with a yawn. But when I look at my alarm clock I realised it was already 2pm. “More like afternoon.” I joke and he smiles back.

“So how was your sleep last night?” He asks.

“Best in months. Yours?” I ask him back.

“Couldn’t sleep.”

“Why?”

“I was thinking about you.” Baekhyun’s voice is so soft and sweet it makes my heart flutter.

“Since when were you so mushy Baekhyun?” I giggle, trying to conceal my blush.  

“Since the day I met you.” He replies and lifts his eyebrows. “Can I take you out on a date today?”

“A d-date?” My face flushes red once again, as if it’s the first few days I met him.

“Yea, it’s been a real long time don’t you think?” He sighs. Yes it has Baekhyun. Yes it has.

“Okay.” I agree

•••••

 “So…where are we going?” I ask.

“You’ll see.”

I gasp when I see the cute little picnic mat laid nicely in the middle of the grassy patch situated in the park. Two baskets are placed at the sides of the mat and balloons are hanging at the corners. And as I take excited footsteps towards the mat, I see the words.

The words “I LOVE YOU JIHAE” are formed by roses lined on the grass. And at that moment, a flush of ecstasy shoots through me as a tear of happiness trickles down my cheek.

“What? Is something wrong? Why are you crying?” Baekhyun asks when he sees me tearing up.

“No no, I’m just really really happy right now!” I exclaim and quickly wipe away my tears that are definitely a mood killer.  

“This is literally so amazing! Did you do this all by yourself?” I ask as I seat legs crossed on the mat.

“Yeap. But D.O. helped me with the food of course.” He admits and rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.

I open the basket and a delicious spread of food greets me. There are triangular sandwiches of different fillings, fruit juices, cupcakes and cookies.

 

The sun is shining in the cerulean sky but the leaves from the trees shades us from the rays. I take a cookie and lay down on the floor, admiring the beautiful afternoon sky.

“Is everything really going to be okay?” I ask for the countless time since after our reunion. Everything seems to blissful that I still find it hard to believe.

“It is.” He lays down beside me and smiles. He then grabs a tuna sandwich and bites it as he reaches for my hands.

“We shouldn’t be doing this.” I say.

“C’mon I can’t even hold my girlfriend’s hand?” He groans and lets go of my hand but I immediately hold it back. Never in my life am I going to let go of Baekhyun ever again.

“No! I was referring to eating while laying down. They say it’s bad for digestion.” I say and he laughs and sits back up. I follow suit and lean against his shoulders, gnawing on the cookie.

“This is romantic,” I laugh.

“Yea it is.”

“Can’t we just stay here?” I ask, not sure if the here meant here in Beijing or at this park or just by Baekhyun’s side.

“Of course, come join me in my truancy,” He laughs.

“Nah I can’t, I want to get a degree.” I joke. I hope he realises that I am. I hope he realises that he is so important to me that I’ll do anything to be with him.

“Degree of what?”

“Law.” I say. “I want to help others. I want to make things right using my knowledge.”

“You’re so cute when you’re righteous.” He comments. “Do you remember how we met?”

“Of course. You knocked into me. And then you sat beside me during chemistry class.” I say when a sudden realisation hits me. “Did you do that on purpose?”

He chuckles and nods. “Took you long enough to find out.” He smiles at me. “I was trying to find out if I’d be able to read your mind if I get nearer to you. Guess I still can’t.”

“I guess I should be happy you can’t read my mind then.” A sad smile finds its way onto my face. “Or you probably have never even took notice of me.”

“Why’d you say that?”

“I mean you’re all popular and I’m kind of a nobody Baekhyun. We’re worlds apart.” I admit.

And that’s when he suddenly kisses me, taking me aback that I push him away from my face. “What are you doing? There are people around here!” I want to be serious but I end up laughing as I speak.

“Never say that again! Every time you do I’ll kiss sense into you.”

“Then maybe I should say that more often.”

“You know that’s not what I mean.” He rolls his eyes.

“Yea I do.”

“I admit I noticed you because I couldn’t read your mind. But I fell in love with you Jihae. Not with the fact that your thoughts can’t be accessed. Remember that.” And when he kisses me, it feels as though I am falling in love with him all over again.

I don’t hesitate as I kiss him back. My hand touching the back of his head as our lips envelop and our tongues dance around each other’s mouth. The sensation that bubbles inside me is so sweet, that I don’t want this to end.

Everything feels so surreal. It’s hard to believe that I have Baekhyun back. That everything is happy and good. And that’s when I wish I can pause this moment. Stop time and live in this moment forever and ever.

 

GUYS PLEASE DON'T KILL ME LOL THIS ISN'T THE END (YET) HAHAHA EPILOGUE COMING RIGHT UP! :)

EDITED ON 17/2/15