I Like You Too

I Like You.

  Kibum was in the middle of doing his English homework when his older brother came through the archway that lead from the hallway into the kitchen. Their mother was busy trying to make cookies, sugar cookies that he would later decorate for her, and Kibum watched as his brother rushed over and swiped a cookie off the cooling tray. "Jonghyun!"

 

"What Ma'?" The older boy asked, cookie crumbs falling off his lips and onto his shirt.

 

The woman just tsked and went back to stirring the batter that was in the bowl she was holding. Jonghyun smirked, before moving to lean his chin on his mother's shoulder. The woman sighed, slowly stirring as she asked, "What do you want Jonghyun?"

 

"I'm soooo glad you asked me! Can my friend from college come over?" He asked in a sweet tone.

 

"Will he be here for dinner?" She asked offhandedly as she added a slight pinch of the powder of spices she made earlier.

 

"And breakfast if you allow it Ma."

 

"Fine. Just make sure not to set fire to anything."

 

Jonghyun kissed her cheek, "Thanks Ma!"  He ran past his little brother, ruffling his hair with an amused smile before dashing back out of the room and up the stairs. Probably to go call his friend.  

 

Kibum just shook his head and returned to his work. Jonghyun may be on spring break, but that didn't mean that he was. He had 3 more weeks until his spring break, and to be completely honest with you he could wait for it. He liked school because it was one step closer to being away from all the stupidity that was his high school class. He had 1 more year following this one, and then he could take his entry exams and be done with this town.

 

"Honey would you like a cookie?"

 

He looked up from his text book when he heard his mom's sweet voice. He smiled, warm and caring as he shook his head. "No Mom. I'll have one when I've iced them."

 

She smiled before going back to her work. Kibum just flipped the page of his packet and read the first question. He mentally sighed before mumbling, "Ugh. Pronouns." 

 

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                                       ------

 

 

 

 

 


About an hour later Kibum was in the middle of finishing the last couple cookies when the  doorbell rang. His mother had gone to get extra meat for dinner, and Jonghyun was upstairs being a loud nuisance on his guitar. He therefore was the only one that was even remotely able to answer the door.  

 

Kibum sighed, laid the cookie and the knife he was using on the plate, and rubbed his hands on the kiss the cook apron of his mother's before going to answer the door. Whoever it was they were getting  impatient because another ding rang through the house.

 

"Hold on a minute! I'm coming!" He threw the lock and pulled open the door to catch the person raising their finger to push the doorbell again. "Did you not hear me?"

 

"No. Not really." And that's when he finally looked at the person. Long chestnut brown hair, curled around his face, and by god what a face. "Nice Apron."

 

Kibum blushed slightly. "It's my Mom's!"

 

"Sure it is." The man flashed a smile, and Kibum knew he had never seen such a perfect smile.  "Are you going to let me in Pretty boy?"

 

Kibum blinked himself out of his daze and glared even though the name wasn't said very hostile. " I'm not a pretty boy." 

 

After he moved from the door the gorgeous man walked past him and his eyes fluttered with how good he smelled. Then he was talking with that voice of his. "So are you Jonghyun's little brother Bummie?"

 

Kibum shivered as he locked the door behind them. "I haven't been Bummie since I was 5."

 

The man hummed and Kibum took that opportunity to take in the rest of him. Tight black pants hugging thick thighs, simple white shirt that hugged every line of him in the best way. It was only then he noticed the guitar case held in his hand. "Mind showing me toward the stairs?" 

 

"Oh yeah. This way."  He pushed past him, brushing past his bare shoulder. "How long have you known Jonghyun?" 

 

"About a year. Met him at the beginning of the school year.  He needed a lead guitarist for his band, and he at it." At that moment they both heard a very loud shrieking of a guitar. The other man flinched. 

 

"Ah."

 

"Yeah. Ah. That." The man chuckled softly as they made their way into the kitchen. His eyes widened, "Are those sugar cookies?"

 

"Yeah. It's why I'm wearing the apron." Kibum commented, before grabbing one and holding it out. "Would you like one?"

 

The man took it with a smile before rushing toward the stairs. "Oh and my name's Onew." 

 

Then he was gone leaving Kibum to try and control his fast beating heart.

                             

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                         ------- 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kibum finished the last couple cookies and placed them in the fridge so the icing could cool before grabbing his text book and heading up to his room. He would be lying if he denied looking into his older brother's room for a glance of his friend. Onew he reminded himself. He was almost to his room when he heard a voice that he knew wasn't his brother's. 

 

Jonghyun had a beautiful voice. Kibum was nice enough to admit that, but the voice he was hearing was something even more beautiful. It was deeper, and he could sense more emotion in the soft sung words.  He stopped in his tracks and slowly walked back to the door. He quietly leaned a little to be able to look in and listen closer. 

 

What he saw stopped him in his tracks. Onew's eyes closed, plush lips parted as his fingers skillfully moved over the strings on the electric guitar that was held in his grasp. Then the floor under his foot creaked and Kibum sprinted toward his room before anyone saw him, but Onew had. It's why there was a soft smile on his face as he shook off Jonghyun's question and continued to show him what to play.

            
                 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                         ----- 

 

 

 

 

 


Kibum was brushing his teeth when he saw the older boy again. He had looked up from spitting in the sink before him to see Onew leaning against the door frame smirking slightly. "Don't look so scared. I'm not going to hurt you."

 

Kibum glared at him through the mirror trying to ignore how well his brother's white tank top looked on him and how low those pajama pants were on his hips. "You're like 5 years older than me, and I don't know you. So you could."

 

"Well, I won't. I just came for the brush. Your brother seems content to find out if my hair is naturally curly or not." Onew moved forward, so close Kibum could feel his body heat, to grab a brush. But he didn't move after his fingers wrapped around the handle.  

 

"Is it?" Kibum choked out. "Your hair I mean."

 

"It is. I don't have time to curl it." He felt the man retreating but then he felt the breath against his ear. "Only 3 and half by the way."

 

And he was gone before Kibum could ask a single thing.

 

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                               ----

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Onew was gone in the morning when he came down for breakfast. Jonghyun was sprawled out on the couch, remote loose in his grip as he surfed the channels and tried not to fall back asleep. Kibum snorted at him. "Is this how you look in your natural habitat?"

 

The older one glared. "And I'm still twice as good looking as you are."

 

"That's what you think Dino breath."

 

Jonghyun just shrugged and went back to switching the channels. Kibum went into the kitchen and opened the fridge to grab the orange juice, but before he could pull the carton out of the fridge he noticed a note stuck up under the plate of the cookies. He pulled it out and after setting the carton on the counter and closing the door he opened it.

 

Thanks for the cookies~ The little fox one was definitely my favorite one. - Onew

 

Kibum didn't know whether to freak out or just quietly sit and reread the note again. He hadn't been able to fall asleep very easily last night after the whole bathroom thing. He kept hearing Onew talking in his ear, feeling his body so near to his own. He had just met the man but he couldn't get him out of his mind. His voice and how good his hands looked as his fingers moved over those guitar strings. That face of his that had to be the most perfect one he had seen. Kibum sighed and shook his head. Onew was Jonghyun's friend and probably had a girlfriend waiting for him back at college. He was being stupid. He knew nothing of the man besides he was hot, and that was nothing to go by. He wasn't Jonghyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
                                                                                                              -----  

 

 

 

 

 


Onew didn't return to the house the rest of his brother's summer break. Jonghyun packed his things and set off back to his University that was almost 2 hours away. It was there that him and his roommate had an apartment. 2 weeks and Kibum would be headed up there for his spring break. Jonghyun had agreed with his roommate to allow him to spend the weeks up there. He wanted to get the feel of being in college, and though his mother was a little apprehensive he won her over. He wouldn't get into drugs or alcohol, and maybe she even believed him when he told her he'd keep Jonghyun out of trouble. Well. More trouble that is. 

 

Kibum spent those 2 weeks finishing up his homework and making sure that he finished that huge project that was finished that first day they got back from break. He expected Jonghyun waiting for him when he walked home, but the car sitting in his driveway wasn't Jonghyun's. He thought that maybe his brother had towed his car again, but he shook his head. He knew that he would have heard about it if that had happened, so he just unlocked the front door and walked in. 

 

Seeing on his living room couch was the last person he expected to see. Onew. Long hair still perfectly curled around his face. Plush lips pink and plump even in the small smile the man was giving the woman across from him. Both looked up to see him frozen in his spot. His mother rushed forward with a smile, kissing his cheek and Kibum wanted to die. Not only that, but any of the little words his mind could make in front of someone attractive went out the window the moment he laid eyes on Onew. He felt like a log would be better at this. It probably was if he was honest with himself.

 

"Your brother forgot he had a class today, and instead of cancelling Onew volunteered to come get you." She flashed a bright smile toward the man sitting on the couch. "Isn't he such a nice boy?" 

 

"Uh I'm going to get my stuff."

 

As he ran to the stairs he heard his mother say. "Don't mind him. He's probably just tired, and he's just really shy most of the time."

 

"No worries Mame. I'd be like that too if I was expecting my brother and got his friend." He heard Onew respond with a soft laugh, then he was running up to his room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                        -----

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kibum didn't know what to do. Onew was sitting next to him, searching for something in his phone for a moment. Kibum had already buckled his seat belt and he was beginning to wonder what they were waiting for. The older man suddenly looked over at him and pushed his hair behind his ear after placing his phone in the middle.

 

"Sorry about that. Luna decided to ask where the spare key was."

 

In the end curiosity not the better of him. He knew it was none of his business but he asked anyway. "Luna?" 

 

"My roommate." Onew quickly turned the key and checked his mirrors. He flashed a smile before pulling out of the drive. "Don't look so tense. I'm not taking you somewhere to murder you."

 

"What's with you and telling me you won't hurt me? Kind of makes me think you'll hurt me." 

 

But then he felt a hand sliding over his thigh and he looked up with wide eyes. Jinki was looking at him with soft eyes, a warm friendly smile on his face. "Do I look like I will Kibum?"

 

"No."

 

"Good! Now why don't you play with the radio. We have a long drive ahead of us." 

 

Yeah. Maybe I'll learn more about you Mr. Perfect Face. But of course he didn't say that out loud. "Whatever you want is fine. It's your car."

 

But Onew didn't reach to change the radio. Not once, and Kibum finally gave in and changed it. He looked over to catch the older man smiling widely.

 

 

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                                   -----

 

 

 

 

 

 


They stopped for food on the way. Conversation was short on the drive to this place, but it seemed Onew was set on learning more about the shy boy in front of him. "So you like making sugar cookies?"

 

Kibum looked up from his sandwich. "Uh. Not really. I just icing them."

 

"You're really artistic." Onew commented, "That fox looked like a real one."

 

"Oh shut up." 

 

"It did!" Onew picked up a fry before taking a sip of his drink. He noticed  how Kibum wasn't looking at him, and he frowned. "Am I so ugly you can't look at me properly?" 

 

The boy's head snapped up and the words flew before he could put a filter on them. "You're so gorgeous I can't stand to look at you."

 

He blushed bright red and even more so when he heard Onew softly chuckling. "Well then."

 

"Oh kill me now." He heard the young boy mumble.

 

"Apparently that's what you think ima do anyway." Kibum glared, but at least he was looking at him. 

 

As they continued to eat Kibum slowly began to talk more and open up. He talked about his love for English and how he hoped to go to America some day to drive cross country. He learned that Onew was rather good too, and they even had a conversation in the language to test each other out. Kibum talked about how he's grown up in his big brother's shadow until Jonghyun reached high school, and music took over from his studies. 

 

"It's not that big of a shadow you know." He heard Onew comment, and it took him a minute and seeing the man's smile to get the joke.

 

They talked about dreams and what Onew was in college for. They talked about how long the older man had played the guitar, and about how Jonghyun terribly. Onew found he loved the sound of the younger's laugh, and how his head would throw back like he used every part of his body to laugh. It was beautiful. 

 

But in the middle of their conversation Onew's phone rang. He gave an apologetic smile and answered it. At the sound of the girl's name Kibum's heart sunk. "Yes Luna?"

 

"Well how is it my fault that you thought today was a great day to wash your delicates with mine."

 

"Are you tell me that all of my stuff is pink now?"

 

"Oh come on now Luna. You should know not to wash red things.. and with mine! Ugh. You're lucky I look great in pink."

 

"Yea yea yea I'm almost home." The phone call was ended with a slam and Kibum looked up with wide eyes. "Sorry about that. How about we go?" 

 

Kibum nodded andwent to throw his stuff away. As they climbed into the car he ventured to say, "I'm sorry that your girlfriend made your stuff pink."

 

Onew stopped putting the car into gear and looked over at him, even though Kibum wasn't looking at him to see that fact. "She's not my girlfriend." 

 

The car was silent after that.

 

 

 

 

 
                                                                                                           -------

 

 

 

 

 

Onew dropped him off with a soft goodbye, and after making sure he got into the apartment he drove off. Kibum didn't know why he messed things up, but he knew he did. He didn't know how he did, but it just seemed like he made a big fool out of himself. Onew was this older, much cooler guy, and here he was being lame 17 year old Kibum. He didn't know if it was a crush, but he felt like he had been punched in the gut. Onew probably just said Luna wasn't his girlfriend to make him feel less of an idiot, for whatever reason that may be. Kibum couldn't even point out what exactly he did to make himself think that he was an idiot, but he just knew Onew thought that of him.

 

Jonghyun was loud and obnoxious as usual, but it was a nice distraction. That was until Onew came over the next morning for band practice and Kibum had walked into the living room to see him just wearing his white tank top strumming softly on his guitar. Hair falling into his face and bronze skin even more so in the early morning sunlight. The man looked up and flashed a smile, and he looked actually happy to see him. Kibum knew that was just acting. He did smile back and rushed to get a glass of orange juice. When he went back in the only available seat was the one right next to Onew on the couch and Kibum swallowed slowly. God was cruel sometimes.

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                           -----

 

 

 


Kibum knew that night that what he felt for Onew was definitely a crush. He felt like some teenage girl laying on the blow up bed starring up at the ceiling. Onew was the only thing on his mind. From his arm muscles, to the way his chest flexed under the thin shirt as he played. Kibum had tried very hard that afternoon not to just sit on the floor in that living room and stare at the guitar player, but Onew was just so beautiful that he found his eyes going back to him every time he had forced them to look at something else.

 

His mind was still thinking about the way the man grabbed the mic before him. Onew's eyes had fluttered close as he softly sung his part; the blue electric guitar swung back onto his back. By god it had to be illegal to wear those pants with that body Kibum decreed. It just had to.

 

And don't even get him started on the guitar solo. Onew's fingers had moved along those strings with such skilled percision it could only be described as beautiful. Just like the rest of him. He had forced himself off that floor and scrambled into Jonghyun's room to gather himself. He couldn't think of his brother's best friend like that. Especially one that was taken. 

 

Kibum finally fell asleep a little after 2 in the morning. Mainly because Jonghyun had woken up to hit him with a pillow and told him to stop sighing and shut the hell up.

 

 

 

 

 
                                                                                                                      -----

 

 

 

 


The third day of his spring break Onew came over to pick Jonghyun up for their class together. Kibum had still been asleep when the man had come into the room. Onew knelt and gently rocked him awake with his hold on his hip. Kibum's eyes had snapped open and when they landed on the man he rushed to make sure that he wasn't drooling like a baby. The older man just smiled warmly and set a drink on the wooden floor next to the air mattress.

 

"It's a vanilla iced coffee." 

 

Before he could leave Kibum got the courage to reach out and stop him to ask, "How did you know that was my favorite?"

 

Onew smiled. "I know a lot more about you than you know."

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                     ------

 

 

 

 

 

 


By the 5th day of his break he knew that he was head over heels for the man and there was no way he was going to survive the next 3 days of his vacation. Jonghyun had gone out with his new target, which just happened to be the drummer of their band. His roommate had gone home to visit his parents and that left Kibum as the only person in the apartment. It was late and dark, and he hated being alone. Even more so if there was a thunderstorm, which there was that night. It freaked him out. He knew Jonghyun probably wouldn't be home until morning, so he couldn't call him.

 

So he just wrapped his blanket around him and tried to block out the sounds of thunder and lightning crackling through the sky. 

 

When he finally couldn't take it anymore he rushed to search the list of numbers Jonghyun had left him and looked for Onew's number. He paused for a moment, his fingers frozen over the numbers, because there was no reason for him to call him. He was just Jonghyun's friend, and Onew probably didn't care about him in that way, but then there was another boom of thunder and Kibum almost dropped the phone from jumping. He quickly dialed the number and held the phone with shakey fingers.

 

Onew answered with an almost groggy voice, "Jonghyun did you lose your cell phone again? I'm telling you it's not in my car ."

 

Kibum was hesitant and he was sure that was clear in his voice. "It's not Jonghyun."

 

"Kibum? What's wrong? Why do you sound scared?" 

 

"There's a sto-storm. I haven't liked them since I was child." Kibum took a deep breath. He must sound so freaking pathetic. "Jonghyun's not here, and I... I'm sorry for bothering you so late."

 

He heard the distinct sound of key's and a door opening before shutting again. "I'm coming over."

 

"You don't-"

 

"I'm coming over. Just stay on the phone okay?" Kibum nodded but before he could remember that Onew was asking again, "Okay Kibum?" 

 

"Okay." He answered softly.

 

"Why don't you go back into your bed and wrap up in a blanket? I have a key." Onew's voice was really soft, and so caring.

 

Kibum shuffled back into his bed and softly wrapped himself up before asking, "Isn't it unsafe for you to drive and talk?" 

 

"I dunno. Probably." He could almost hear the shrug in the man's voice. "But I do know it's unsafe for a certain college sophmore for leaving his baby brother alone during a storm."

 

"Onew.."

 

"Jinki."

 

"Huh?" 

 

He could hear the found of the rain splattering against the windshield. "My name. It's Jinki." 

 

"I thought-"

 

"Onew is just a nickname." The man explained. "You're the only one that knows that besides my family."

 

"Really?" 

 

"Mhmm." 

 

"Not even Luna?" 

 

He heard the man chuckle softly. "She's not my girlfriend. There's really no reason for her to."  Before he could say anything the man was softly saying. "I'm walking up now. Do you know if there's a towel?" 

 

Kibum looked around. He spotted one. A blue one on the door. He thought maybe that was the one he used earlier. "Yeah."

 

He heard the front door openning and a moment later he heard breathing. The phone call was ended and then Onew, Jinki he reminded himself, was walking through the door. Soaked to the bone. Long hair flat against his forehead and sprawled out all over his face. Pajamas drenched and socked completely wet through. There was a smile though, a soft warm one as he looked gently over at him. "So how about that towel?" 

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                          ------

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki ended up changing in the bathroom with the door open so that he could talk to Kibum as he was. He wore some of Jonghyun's roommate's clothes and gently dried his hair. He returned a moment later and stood by the blow up bed. He motioned with his hand. "May I?"

 

Kibum gulped. "Yeah."

 

Jinki smiled and softly sat down. Kibum offered him some blanket and he scooted underneath with a smile. "Are you okay now?" 

 

"Ye-yeah." The rain was still pouring, and thunder still boomed every now and again but it was better. "Thanks for coming over."

 

"What usually helps you sleep?" Jinki asked softly. 

 

"Jonghyun sings to me." Kibum blushed slightly and looked at his hands. "I'm kind of pathetic aren't I?" 

 

"Nope. Lay down." He looked over shocked and a little scared, but Jinki was smiling. " Can't fall asleep sitting up, and I wouldn't wanna sing for you for nothing." 

Kibum scooted down and got comfortable, before looking up meekly. "Can I.. can I cuddle with you?"

 

He expected the man to say no, but a moment later Jinki was scooting down and getting comfortable. "Whatever you need Baby boy."

 

 He didn't know whether he was blushing because he was touching his crush or because of the nickname, but he didn't really care. All he cared about was the soft voice singing in his ear and the warm touches of JInki's fingers on his arm. He didn't know if he was dreaming or not, but he felt soft plush lips press against his forehead. 


            

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                      -------

 

 

 

 

 


He woke up to a screaming Jonghyun and having a pillow thrown at them. He was still groggy with sleep but he was aware of the warm beside him and how safe he felt. He wanted to believe that Jonghyun was just a nightmare, but then the warm that was surrounding him was moving and he snapped back into reality. Jinki was holding him still, an arm loosely wrapped around him. His head was on the older man's chest, and he looked up to see him staring over when Jonghyun was standing.

 

"What the hell do you think you are doing with my little brother?!" 

 

Jinki just smacked his mouth for a moment before lazily looking over at him, "Comforting him, since his big brother wasn't here to."

 

"Oh don't use that tone with me."

 

"What tone? I have no tone. I'm just saying. Instead of screaming at what, "Jinki glanced at his watch, "6 in the morning, why don't you actually ask yourself why you left your baby brother alone in the house when it's about to storm when you know he's afraid of them." 

 

"I didn't think..."

 

"Well there's your problem." Jinki yawned before turning the boy who was frozen in his arms. He smiled before kissing his forehead. "Go back to sleep. Do you want me to go?" Kibum shook his head softly, and was relieved when Jinki wrapped his other arm around him. "Okay. I won't go until you want me to." 

 

Kibum sighed and quickly fell asleep again.

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                       ------

 

 

 

 

 

The man had left after he had made sure Kibum was okay, and that left the younger man confused. Jinki had told him a secret no one but family knew. Not even his best friend. Should Kibum feel special? He didn't know. Did he feel special? Hell yes.

 

He didn't see the man for another day. Kibum thought about what he would do when he saw him again, and it was then he forced himself to get enough courage to ask the man out. No one would rush over in the middle of a thunderstorm unless they cared. No one would stay all night and hold them unless they cared for them. Right?

 

Kibum sighed. Jinki was probably just treating him like he would  a younger brother. That was what he was to him wasn't it? He couldn't be more. He was almost 4 years younger than the man. He was a child to him Kibum knew.

 

That didn't stop him from quietly asking the older man to meet him in the park near the building after they all had dinner. 


              

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                 -----

 

 

 

 

 

"Are you okay Kibum?" Jinki's voice was soft coming up behind him.

 

"I guess." He replied. He rubbed his wrists nervously as he stared out at the huge lake. "Kind of nervous really."

 

He could see Jinki stepping to stand beside him and look out where he was. "Why?"

 

"Because I have a question and you either give me the answer I want or I run away like a fool." Kibum said softly, still staring out. There was a little group of ducks a little ways away. They were rather cute if he was here to actually see ducks.

 

"It can't be that serious."

 

"Kind of is."

 

"Are you dying or something? Are you going to kill me because I thought that was my th~"

 

But Kibum cut him off. "I like you okay."

 

"Huh?"

 

Kibum turned fully toward the man. Jinki's hair was pushed back out of his face, two bobby pins holding it back. "I like you. Like as in like like you."

 

"Uh.."

 

"And this is what I was expecting. Just forget it. I knew I was just a best friend's little brother to you."

 

Jinki's fingers wrapped around his wrist and before he knew it he was being pulled into the man's warm embrace. The man's eyes slowly opened and closed before focusing in on him. Jinki's hand was flat against his back, so warm compared to the evening sun above them. "You are so much more than my best friend's little brother Baby boy. I like you too." 

 

"Really?!" Kibum coughed for a moment before his lips and gaining his composure a little. "I mean, does that mean you'll go on a date with me?"

 

Jinki just smiled and gently hugged him close, "Can't we just make this one?" 

 

Kibum thought maybe he even liked the way Jinki's fingers fit almost perfectly with his almost as much as he loved his hair.