Final

Sacrifice

It was around midnight when Soyoung climbed onto the balcony that led to Kai's room. Maids and butlers weren't allowed on the second floor at night so this was the only way to get to his room.

The only source of light came from the stars and the moon that shone brightly in the night sky. Soyoung quietly and slowly walked over to the door and pushed the key that she stole into the key hole. 

The door was now unlocked. She slowly turned the knob to open the door. Soyoung  didn't want to do this but she was being watched so she had to follow all the instructions she was given.

She stepped inside the room and gently closed the door behind her. Tears welled up in her eyes as she walked towards Kai who was sleeping soundly on his king size bed.

Her whole body trembled as she stood beside him with a knife in her right hand. 

She couldn't do it, she couldn't kill the one she loved. She also wanted to live, she wanted to enjoy her life with the new perspective of the world that Kai had given her.

Soyoung then decided. If someone's life had to be taken, it would be hers.
"Goodbye Kai," she whispered softly before she positioned the knife near her neck.

Soyoung shut her eyes tightly and prepared herself. She was ready to feel the pain of the knife piercing her bare neck when all of a sudden she felt a tight grip on her wrist, preventing her to continue.

Her eyes flew wide open to see Kai kneeling on his bed and holding her wrist tightly.
"Are you crazy?," Kai questioned as he stared into her watery eyes.

Soyoung did not reply and kept quiet.
"It's okay, I know everything," Kai told her.
Her eyes grew bigger when she heard this. Her grip around the the knife's handle loosened and the knife fell on the bed.
"How did you know?," she managed to ask.

Kai got off the bed and stood on the cold floor with his bare feet, still holding her wrist.
"That's not important," he replied.
What happened was, Kai followed her all the way to the park when he overheard her agreeing to meet someone over the phone. He hid behind the bushes and watched what took place during the meeting.

"Are you really going to kill yourself because you don't want to kill me?," he asked her.
She didn't answer him, instead she shifted her eyes away from the bed to his brown orbs. Kai knew her answer judging by the way she gazed at him.

The girl standing in front of him, who he fell in love with, who he met a month ago was going to sacrifice herself for him. He was sorry that he caused Ara to commit suicide but it wasn't entirely his fault. People get together and sometimes they will break up because of the lack of feelings they have towards each other. He just didn't know that a simple breakup will result in a death.

"Let's runaway then. Let's leave this place, just you and me," Kai suggested.
"We can't, he's watching," Soyoung spoke.
Kai knew who she was talking about. It was Jin, Ara's father, who was watching them.

"Just let me go," Soyoung spoke and reached for the knife on the bed.
"No. I can't let you do this," Kai stopped her from picking the knife up. "Let me die instead."
"I'm the person that he wants dead, not you, so let me die instead," Kai told her.
"I'm sorry Kai, it's all my fault. We wouldn't be in this mess if you hadn't met me," Soyoung started to cry, tears running down her cheeks.
"Don't cry. Please don't cry anymore," he softly spoke as he wiped away her tears.

While being mesmerized by her sad yet beautiful eyes, he slowly leaned forward closer to her. In the next second, his lips met hers.

Her eye lids gently closed and she slowly wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him closer. He deepened the kiss by holding the back of her neck with his hand and caressed her cheek with the other.

After a long, passionate kiss, Kai finally pulled away. He gave her a tight embrace.
"I love you Soyoung," he whispered in her ears before he let go of her.

Kai then took up the knife off his bed and held it with both of his hands.
Soyoung held both of his wrists, trying to stop him.
"No, please don't do it," she shook her head.

"I will always love you," was the last thing Kai said before he stabbed himself in the chest.
His body fell to the floor with a thud. Her knees weakened and she too fell on the cold floor next to him.

"Kai," she breathed as tears ran down.
Blood ran out quickly and stained everywhere. She held his hand tightly in hers as she stared at his pale face. His eyes were partially opened to take his last look at her.
"Don't...cry," he weakly choked out before his eyes finally shut closed.

Without hesitation, Soyoung pulled the knife out of his chest. She sat down beside his cold body and held his hand, intertwining their fingers together.
"I love you too," Soyoung said to him.
She then sharply plunged the knife deep into her heart.