First Day Low

Love of An Angel
Back at school, Kim couldn’t concentrate on her lessons.

Fortunately, it was just the first day of classes and most of the school time was spent on orientation to the varied subjects for the semester. Kim's mind, however, was filled to the brim with Gerald melodrama. His mysterious demeanor was eating up her thoughts.

Why all of a sudden he became reclusive and secretive? It’s unlike him to be so...it’s uncharacteristic of him.

Kim tried to take him out of her thoughts but couldn’t. She spent the good part of the day trying to concentrate on her teachers instead but her mind was just too stubborn to think of anything else. As the hours grew longer towards lunchtime, Kim was already feeling really exhausted. At twelve noon, the lunch bell rang promptly. Kim hastily left her classroom and headed towards the direction of the cafeteria. She was so mentally and emotionally drained that she sought for some much needed refuge and sustenance.

On the corridors, she bumped into the very person she didn’t want to see.

It was Gerald, and on each of his arm was a token, ty girl.

“Oh Kim...” he said in complete surprise. “I didn’t know you’d be here...”

“This is my school...” Kim replied with some resolve. Her eyes turned into slits.

“What I meant was I didn’t know you’d pass by...”

“I said, this is my school...” Kim repeated derisively. “I can pass by this corridor whenever I want...”

Gerald laughed nervously.

“By the way, Kim, this is Rhea and this is Leah...” Gerald introduced the girls. His hands were still conveniently draped over the flirtatious duo.

This is just great! Kim thought silently. Even their freaking names rhymed!

“They were assigned to tour me around campus...” Gerald further explained.

"I didn't even know this school ever had an service..." Kim retaliated.

Gerald gave Kim a sharp look. Kim smiled back mockingly. The two girls, apparently, didn't know any better. They were laughing even. They weren't smart enough to know that they had just been insulted.

One girl held out her hand. Kim couldn’t remember exactly who was whom, but she took her handshake eventually.

“This is, Kim...she’s my godsister...” Gerald said to the girl named Rhea.

“Ohhh...” mumbled the bustier Leah.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Kim scoffed at her.

“Nothing...” said the girl. “I just thought you were his ex-girlfriend...or something...”

“Me too, girl...I thought of the same thing!” agreed Rhea.

Daring as she was, Kim asked, “Me? His ex-girlfriend? What made you say that?”

“That’s because you looked as if you were about to pull our hairs!” Leah exclaimed.

Gerald suddenly bursts out laughing. The two girls exchanged high fives.

At that point, Kim’s face flushed into a very deep shade of red. She didn’t know if it was from anger or from the shame of seeing Gerald cackling at her. She wanted to retort something back but words evaded her.

Instead, she turned her back and stomped away from them. As she walked away, she heard one of the girls say, “She’s not nice...”

Then Kim heard Gerald reply, “Don’t mind her. Maybe, it’s just her time of the month...”

For some reason, that made Kim angrier. Can't he see why she was angry? And now he blame her hormones? That was such a guy thing to say. Kim was literally fuming as she turned towards the hall.

Kim couldn’t believe what had just happened. She looked down at her wristwatch. It has only been three hours since they got here. And now, he has...FANS?

The heck with Gerald, she told herself. He's the most self-absorbed and foul person she has ever met. She is better off without him.

As she was walking further along the hall, Kim began to wonder at what the two girls said. Did she really look at them the way they had implied? After all, what they said couldn’t have been farther from the truth. She did want to pull their hairs. Not to mention poke their eyes and slap their overly made up faces...

“Oh my God...” Kim cried out to herself as she realized one thing.

She was mad-green jealous after all.

.
.
.

Kim’s foul mood followed them at dinner that night. For the first time in a long while, Gerald joined them for supper, much to her family’s delight...excluding Kim.

Kim played around with her food in utter disdain for the boy seated across her. She couldn’t stomach the naughty smirk he was flashing her.

Sensing her distress, Marilyn turned to her daughter. “How was your first day, Kim?”

“It was good...” Kim said curtly.

Her family was actually waiting for her to add a little bit more detail into her answer but none came.

“How about you, Gerald?” asked Arthur. “How was your first day of school?’

“I had a great time, Ninong Art...” Gerald relayed. “I made the basketball varsity team...”

“What? You did?” Art exclaimed. “Didn’t you have to try out for it?”

“Well, according to the coach, my written credentials were good enough for now...he said, he can make up his mind later.”

Meanwhile, Kim seethed in her seat.

“What a humbug!” she murmured inaudibly.

“What is it you’re saying, princess?” Art said.

“Nothing,dad...”

Marilyn suddenly realized that something was amiss between her daughter and her young guest. She shifted her gaze to and fro between the two of them.

She then focused on Kim. “Eat your food, anak. You didn’t even have a single bite of it, I noticed...”

“Mom, I’ve lost my appetite...”

“You got to eat something,” Marilyn insisted.

“I’m not hungry,” Kim reasoned childishly. “May I be excused, dad?”

“Nope...you can’t leave,” said Art sternly. “For once, we will spend this dinner together like a complete family...”

Kim was immediately taken aback by what her father said. She hadn’t realized how strongly her dad felt about having Gerald eat with them. The mere fact he referred to him as a member of their family, amazed Kim.

Seeing Kim squirm in her seat, Gerald spoke for her, “Ninong, actually, Kim hasn’t really been feeling well all day long...”

Kim shot him an irritated look. She didn’t want him speaking for her. She didn’t need his help...nor his sympathy.

“Is that true, princess?” Art asked.

“Are you sick, ate?” Ryan said worriedly.

Kim was left with no choice but to affirm Gerald’s story. “It’s just a bug...it’s nothing...”

“Well, you better eat something or else you’ll get really sick...” Marilyn reminded her.

Kim took a spoonful of food and shoved it down . Nothing tasted so foul. She gagged a little.

"Maybe Ate Kim doesn't like carrots..." reasoned Ryan.

"She better learn to love them, Ryan..." said Art. "Carrots is good for fighting off bugs..."

Kim rolled her eyes at them.

“Well, congratulations on making the team, Gerald...” said Marilyn. “Maybe we could watch some of your games...”

“Wow...” Gerald exclaimed. His eyes grew large and his smiled broadened.

Kim swore she saw his eyes glisten.

“Why not?” Art said. “We’d love to come see you play...”

Gerald seemed overwrought by his feelings. Kim saw him take a big gulp. It was as if he was swallowing his emotions away.

“Sorry...” Gerald uncannily apologized. “It’s just that, I’ve never had anybody come to my games before...”

Kim suddenly felt a pang of guilt enter her. How childish was she acting? Her friend was in obvious pain and here she was, thinking the worst of him.

Somehow, her mom and dad, including Ryan, seemed to have understood the depth of Gerald’s emotions. They didn’t say anything after that. Like her, they understood what he was going through.

As their dessert was being served, Marilyn spilled some news to the family.

“Kim, guess who I bumped into this afternoon at the grocery store?”

“Who, mom?”

“Your Tita Mary Ann...she talked to me!” Marilyn revelead.

Mary Ann Fuentebella is Serra’s socialite mom. Their family used to move in the same circles as the Chiu family. That was until the latter had some business troubles. Since then, the Fuentebellas didn't quite mingle much with them. However, the family matriarch still seems to honor the nobility by which the Chiu name existed. Somehow, she was still courteous with Marilyn, if only for their daughters’ friendship.

“What did she say, mom?” Kim asked.

“Well, we talked about Serra’s debutante ball ...” Marilyn said. “It’s coming up, right?”

“Yes, mom, two weeks from now. What about it?”

“Well, I don’t know if Serra mentioned this to you, “ her mom recounted. “But apparently, she was still looking for an !”

“But she has one,” Kim retorted. “She and Jimmy got back together...”

“No, my dear. Apparently, she and him broke up again...”

“Mom, we saw and talked to them a week ago. They are very much together...”

“Well, they are not together now...” Marilyn giggled excitedly. “Your Tita Mary Ann said, Serra came home yesterday crying. She was so upset with Jimmy. They had a big fight and it looks like that they might not get back together before her debut...”

Kim rolled her eyes. With Serra, things like that happen every day. “Mom, trust me...they will get back together in time...”

“Well, your Tita Mary Ann is not going to take any chances, neither will Serra. That party is too important, not too mention expensive, to leave to chance...”

“What is she planning to do, mom?” Kim asked in complete wonderment.

Marilyn herself was too excited. She could barely contain herself. “Well, Mary Ann has learned from Serra about our dashing young guest here. So, Mary Ann asked me if we could get Gerald as Serra’s for her debutante ball!!!”

Kim was utterly shocked. So, was Gerald.

“Why me?” he said.

“Gerald, you’re going to the biggest party this city has ever seen in years!” Marilyn exclaimed. “You’ll be the talk of the town...”

Kim felt too numb to react.

“Something tells me this is going to be very interesting...” Art said, taking note of the flat reaction coming from Kim and Gerald.

“You are accepting the invitation, Gerald, right?” Marilyn pushed further.

Gerald looked up to Kim for some affirmation. Kim offered him none.

“Of course, Tita...” Gerald said. “Who am I to refuse?”

Kim wanted to cry right then and there.

Kim knew that Serra purposely did this to her. She was not surprised at all as to what lengths this girl will go through just to get what she wanted. What Serra wants, Serra always gets. Unfortunately, she wanted Kim’s own. Serra wanted Gerald and there is nothing Kim could do to stop her.

Kim looked up at Gerald who was just as confused as her.

“This is going to be great!” Marilyn exclaimed. “You and Serra will make a good team, Gerald...”

Kim slowly put down her fork on her plate and said, “Dad, can I be excused?”

Art nodded. He knew and felt that Kim desperately wanted that reprieve.

As Kim hastily left the table, Art shot his wife a meaningful look.

“What is it?” Marilyn asked blankly.

“Nothing...” Arthur replied with a sneer.

Gerald, meanwhile, followed Kim with his gaze. A look of longing filled his eyes. He just broke his promise to her. He just made her cry again.

.
.
.

(Post ko muna, bukas ko na edit. Read at your own risk...)