That's not how it was supposed to end

When friends become something more

"Jinki's phone rung. He stirred in the bed and answered it with a raspy voice. "Halo?"

"Jinki-ya. I know it's your day off but I need you to go to SM for a second to sign some papers and get a few formal affairs done. I'll be waiting for you at the entrance. Hurry up" He said not waiting for an answer and hung up.

Jinki growled and tossed his phone aside. He felt movement beside him and looked at Jonghyun who was still sleeping peacefully. What did it mean? Did it mean anything at all? Is he going to tell me it was a mistake and we should forget about it? Jinki wouldn't be able to do it. He wouldn't be able to forget something he had been dreaming about for such a long time. He smiled sadly at his dongsaeng and softly caressed his cheek. So beautiful. What they did last night meant a lot to Jinki. He decided to talk with the younger when he comes back. He got out of bed and found a piece of paper.

Jonghyunnie, I'm really sorry but I had to go to SM for a bit. I'll be back soon.

Love, Jinki

He placed the note on the bedside table, got dressed and got out of the room. There were still a lot of people in their dorm, most of them were sleeping in random places, some, to his amazement were still drinking.

"Hyung! Care to join us for a round?"

"No, thanks Jongin" He felt like throwing up just at the thought of alcohol. " I need to go to SM for a bit. You guys should stop drinking, it's morning already" he said looking pointedly at Taemin who only giggled in response.

"H-hyung I need to go to SM too. Can I go with you?" Yixing said with a quiet voice. He looked distracted and was visibly avoiding Jinki's stare.

"Uhh... Sure, let's go then." He smiled softly and turned to leave.


 

 

Jonghyun woke up an hour later. He took a deep breath and with his eyes still closed he extended his arm and patted the space beside him. Empty. He exhaled slowly trying to keep his emotions in. You knew this was going to happen. He bit his lower lip and soon felt unwanted tears well up in his eyes. You knew it. You're such an idiot Jonghyun. A sob escaped his lips, then another one. He curled up hiding his face in his palms.

 

Half an hour later he forced himself to get up deciding to take a shower. He put on some clothes and got out of the room immediately spotting Taemin. He looked at him in disbelief.

"Yea, yeah, I know, you don't need to say anything. Jinki hyung already told us to wrap the party up." Taemin swayed a little in his seat and rested his head on Jongin's shoulder.

"J-jinki hyung did? Where is he now?"

"He went out with Yixing to take care of some stuff. They should be back soon though." he wrapped his arms around his best friend "Jonginnie I'm sleepy, let's go to sleep, okay?" Jongin nodded and they left to Taemin's bedroom staggering.

Jonghyun's heart dropped. He collapsed on the couch in a daze. He went out with Yixing? He had with me and left with Yixing? Jonghyun couldn't wrap his head around it. He felt like throwing up.

"Ohhh I knew I heard your voice. Where did you disappear yesterday? I thought we agreed on getting to know each other better." Taeyon pouted throwing herself next to Jonghyun. "The party's pretty much over but it doesn't matter, does it?" she smiled seductively pushing herself on the male.

"Noona stop, I.." he held her waist, gently trying to push her off himself.

"Shh.. There's no one here, we can just enjoy our time, right?" She whispered and pressed her lips firmly against Jonghyun's.

 

 

It was really awkward between Jinki and Yixing. They were silent pretty much all the way to the SM and back. Jinki was thinking about what to tell Jonghyun when he comes back, he wanted to make sure he'll use the right words not to ruin anything. He sighed and opened the door to the dorm. He went towards the living room and suddenly stopped, Yixing following after him. Jonghyun was lying on the couch, his hands on Taeyon's waist who was on top of him, their lips pressed together. Jinki felt like all the air got punched out of his lungs. He turned away and left the dorm without a word, Yixing running after him.

"Hyung! Jinki hyung, wait up" Jinki ignored Yixing, he run down the stairs, got out of the building and headed towards the park. He sat on a bench and looked up at the sky trying to prevent his tears from overflowing. His heart was thumping loudly, though it felt like it got ripped out of his chest. Yixing sat next to him not saying anything to give his hyung some space. Soon enough Jinki was crying loudly choking on his own sobs, tears flowing down his cheeks. Yixing took his hand and squeezed it tightly. He hated to see his hyung like this, so helpless and broken, crying his eyes out. Because of somebody else. He knew why Jinki was crying, he knew that Jinki made a choice and that it wasn't him he had chosen. He wanted to cry too, his heart got broken into million pieces last night when he heard them. And still, he couldn't bring himself to leave Jinki. Because he loved him way too much to give up on him. Even if they were going to be just friends for the rest of their lives, Yixing was going to bear with it as long as he wouldn't lose Jinki. Involuntarily he felt his eyes get wet. He grabbed Jinki's head and placed it in the crook of his neck. "It's okay hyung. It's going to be okay" he sobbed out, his heart squeezing in pain. I love you so, so much.

Some time passed, both of them calmed down a little. Jinki pulled away from Yixing and lowered his head staring into his lap.

"Xing, we... last night, Jonghyun and I... we..."

"I know hyung" he smiled sadly. He lifted his arm to wipe a tear rolling down Jinki's cheek.

"Xing can you leave me alone for a bit? I need to think some stuff through." Yixing looked unconvinced "Please" he added.

Yixing sighed and nodded. "Don't do anything stupid, okay? And call me if you're in trouble." he gave Jinki a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder and turned to leave.

 

 

Jonghyun was sitting in the living room waiting for Jinki. He wasn't going to give up just like that, he needed to say everything he wanted at least.

He heard the front door open.

"Hyung you're back!" he stood up from the couch. "Can we.. um... talk? he was nervous. He knew their relationship depended on this conversation.

"Yes, I wanted to talk with you anyway" Jinki said, his face emotionless.

Jonghyun got a bit startled at that "Okay.. H-how about we sit down?"

"There's no need, I'll be quick. I just have a favor to ask." Jinki really wanted to make it quick before his emotions start to show but seeing Jonghyun's face made all the pain come back. It cost him a lot to look into younger's eyes but he needed to do that to be taken seriously. "Let's decrease our interactions to minimum. Talk to me only when it's about work, other than that pretend we don't know each other. I'd rather you didn't do any fanservice with me too. That's all." he turned to leave.

Jonghyun was starting to panic, he was beyond confused. "B-but why? Hyung is it about last night? We.." he grabbed Jinki's arm and made him look into his eyes. Jinki was crying.

"About last night Jonghyun, let's forget all about it." he sobbed out "It was the biggest mistake of my life and I wish to have no memory of it. It was never supposed to happen." he harshly pulled his hand from Jonghyun's grasp and headed to his bedroom.

Jonghyun stood there, dumbfounded. It felt like his heart was being stabbed with every word flowing out of Jinki's mouth. He collapsed on the floor, tears pooling down his cheeks, his heart shattered. That's not how it was supposed to end.

 

 

 


 

Okay, so I know you guys wanted me to end it with the last chapter but I was going to write this fic the way it is from the very start. I considered changing the plot, but decided not to do it in the end. I hope you're going to keep reading it anyway!