Ch. 6

Taking A Chance

It was getting late so Yuri and Tiffany returned from the forest, hands still locked together. They went inside to return the blanket and pillows. Tiffany excused herself to go to the bathroom when Yuri’s mother approached her child. At first, she observed Yuri folding the blankets and she saw that her normally happy child had a serious expression on her face.

“What you gonna do my child,” asked Yuri’s mother in a hushed tone.

“There ain’t nothing I can do ma,” replied Yuri with evident hurt in her tone.

“Now that’s rubbish child. Like that girl ya,” Yuri’s mother inquired.

 Yuri looked at her mother and then sighed. “More than I probably should,” she whispered.

“Then if the chicken fly the coop bring it back home child,” the elder woman said with a smile.

“I know,” said Yuri as Tiffany walked back towards them. The confused look on Tiffany’s face made Yuri a little easier. Even if Tiffany did overhear them talking she probably couldn’t understand what they said.

Yuri’s mother went up to Tiffany and embraced her. “Promise we did my child. You sing when come back ya,” asked Yuri’s mother.

Tiffany hugged the woman back and stepped back to give her an eyesmile. “I promise I will. Thank you for everything,” she said graciously.

With their final goodbyes, the two left the farm and returned to Yuri’s place. Tiffany took a shower first and while Yuri was taking hers the gravity of the situation started to sink in. Tonight was the last night Tiffany would have with Yuri and it saddened her very much. It was strange how only a few days could open up a completely new world to Tiffany and she realized that she’ll miss it dearly. She felt choke up and she found herself on the bed staring at the ceiling.

“Tiffany,” asked Yuri snapping the other woman from her thoughts.

Tiffany sat up in the bed as Yuri approached her and got in. Without any warning Yuri hugged her and caused both of them to fall back on the bed with Yuri over Tiffany’s body. “Y…Yuri,” Tiffany whispered.

Yuri’s face was buried in Tiffany’s neck. She could feel the other woman tense up from her actions. “Don’t be afraid, Fany. You can hug me back,” she whispered on Tiffany’s neck.

With some hesitation, Tiffany finally wrapped her arms around Yuri’s back and held her tight. Words weren’t exchanged but she could feel how warm Yuri was on her body. That warmth covered her like a warm blanket. She could feel Yuri’s chest rise and fall on hers as their breathing began to synchronize. Yuri’s natural scent mixed in with the fragrance from her shampoo was intoxicating. Everything else in the world became dull and Yuri was the only presence that Tiffany could acknowledge.

Just as quick as it started their intimate hug ended. “I better let you get some sleep,” Yuri said as she sat up and was moving away from Tiffany.

The ache in Tiffany’s heart was too much to bear. She couldn’t go on living in hiding after this. That wasn’t a normal hug. Yuri had to be feeling what she was feeling inside too. She sat up and grabbed Yuri’s arm. “Don’t go,” she whispered.

Yuri turned around and whispered, “Don’t go?”

Tears were threatening to fall from Tiffany’s eyes but she held them steady with Yuri’s. She whispered, “I don’t want you to leave me tonight. Stay with me.”

“Fany,” Yuri whispered as she moved back to Tiffany’s side. She rested on the bed again beside Tiffany. As they lay facing each other Yuri brushed away the unshed tears from the other woman’s eyes.

“Kiss me,” Tiffany whispered with eyes locked with Yuri’s.

Yuri looked at Tiffany intensely for a few seconds before caressing Tiffany’s face. No words were exchanged when Yuri slowly placed her lips on Tiffany’s. She pulled away from Tiffany to look at her again before their lips touched again. This time they both stayed put as their lips lightly fused. Yuri’s thumb gently brushed Tiffany’s cheek as they continued to share innocent kisses. When they broke apart again Yuri had a shy smile on her face that matched Tiffany’s. Soon Tiffany’s smile faded away as she was reminded again that this was her last night. The tears wouldn’t hold back this time. Yuri kissed her forehead and held onto Tiffany tight.

“It’ll be okay Fany. We’ll figure things out,” Yuri whispered as she lightly the crying woman’s hair. “I’ll be here with you tonight. I’m not leaving you.” A lone tear fell down Yuri’s cheek and she held Tiffany closer.

The next morning Yuri woke up early before Tiffany’s alarm went off. She looked at the woman sleeping peacefully in front of her. She can see the remnants of the tears shed last night which made her sad. Yuri decided that they would make the best of the several hours they had before Tiffany had to leave. She leaned in and placed small kisses on Tiffany’s cheek until the woman stirred. When Yuri thought Tiffany was awake she gave her tiny pecks on the lips until Tiffany woke up with a smile.

“Good morning Yuri,” Tiffany said huskily as she gave Yuri a kiss back.

“Morning Fany,” Yuri whispered placing their foreheads together and giving her a hug. The two held each other in a long hug until Yuri finally moved back. “I was thinking we could leave here early and go to the mall, grab something to eat before I take you back.”

“I’d like that a lot,” Tiffany said with a smile. Yuri gave Tiffany one more quick peck before getting the shower ready for Tiffany.   

It did not take the two long to get ready and they made their way back into the city. Yuri parked closer to the city so that the two wouldn’t have to commute so far by train this time with Tiffany’s entire luggage. They went to the mall and had a nice breakfast together that was quiet but not unpleasant. Afterwards, they took a stroll and found a souvenir shop.

Tiffany bent over looking at the different trinkets on display on the shelves. “I want to get something that I’ll remember this trip until I come back,” she said with a small smile.

Yuri wrapped her arm around Tiffany’s waist and scanned around with her eyes. “How about this one,” Yuri asked picking up a couple’s keychain. It had a heart with the treble clef symbol in the middle. “Since you love music so much I can take the clef to remind me of you and in exchange you can take a piece of my heart. When we see each other again, you can make my heart whole again.”

“That’s really sweet Yuri,” Tiffany said as she leaned over and kissed Yuri on the cheek. “I think it’s perfect.”

The two left the store after Yuri insisted on paying for the parting gift. Just behind the mall there was a small isolated fountain. Yuri motioned for Tiffany to sit and she followed suit. She took the keychain out of the bag and opened the palm of Tiffany’s hand. It was not hard to separate the two pieces and she placed the heart to her lips. She gently kissed it while looking and Tiffany before putting it in the outstretched palm. Tiffany in turn took Yuri’s hand that held on to the treble cleft and held it against her heart.

“I know things will be hard with me about to go to school but I want to give us a try,” Yuri said with a shaky breath before she continued. “So that there will be no miscommunications I need to know, will you’ll be my girlfriend?”

“I’ve been waiting so long to hear those words,” Tiffany said as she hugged Yuri tightly. “Yes! Yes, I’ll be your girlfriend.”

Yuri pulled away slightly and whispered, “Even though you are leaving me…” She gave Tiffany a tender kiss on the lips before putting their foreheads together. “…my heart feels much lighter now that you know I’ll do everything in my power to be by your side again.” 

“We can take things slow,” Tiffany whispered with a smile. They still had a few more hours to kill before she had to get to the airport. “Lay your head down on my lap.” Kissing Tiffany one more time, Yuri complied and lay the rest of her body on the fountain’s edge. She took Tiffany’s hand and placed a lingering kiss on it before resting it on her heart. With her other hand, Tiffany gently Yuri’s hair as the two looked at each other with smiles.

They made it back to the airport and Tiffany checked in her luggage while keeping her carry on with her. She only had a few more minutes to spend with Yuri before she had to go to the security checkpoint. This time reality really began to sink in and although she was crying she still had a smile on her face. Yuri immediately gave her a long hug.

“I promise you Fany, on my next break I’ll take you out for a real first date. We can go to the amusement park if you like,” whispered Yuri in Tiffany’s ear.

“That’s a promise that I’ll intend for you to keep,” said Tiffany with a small giggle and sniffle. She finally parted and gave Yuri an eyesmile.

“Call me when you land and when you make it back home. We can talk online,” Yuri said trying to be strong for the both of them.

Tiffany nodded and took Yuri’s hand. “I don’t like goodbyes so I’ll say see you later,” she said with her voice trembling.

“I’ll see you later Fany. I promise I will,” Yuri said with the lump in feeling heavier by the minute.

With a squeeze of the hand Tiffany said, “I’ll see you later.” She let go of Yuri’s hand and gave her one last eyesmile before heading towards security.

Yuri watched until Tiffany finally disappeared before she turned and walked away. She took out the treble clef and gave it one last kiss before putting it back in her pocket. “Be safe,” she whispered and exited the airport.

Tiffany looked down at the clouds as the plane finished its accent. The vast land was filled with abstract shapes and colors below instead of the vivid detail of everything she experienced these several days. Leaning her head on the window, she smiled back at the memories that she shared with Yuri and her world. She couldn’t help but smile to think that now she would be a part of that. Taking out the heart in her pocket, she kissed it and closed her eyes. She thanked the heavens above for taking a chance that led her straight to the girl of her dreams. 

 

A/N: Thank you all for reading this fic. It was truly heartbreaking for me to write this last chapter as I found myself crying with them. This fic will always have a special place in my heart and I hope that you all enjoyed it. As far as Yulti goes in this fic I imagine them living happily one day but I will leave it to your imagination as well. A PDF is available of this fic as well as the rest of mine (except the drabbles cause that's not complete.) See you later.