Centre of my Universe

Centre of my Universe

"Can I be your galaxy?"

The few visible stars that could be seen through the city pollution twinkled. The chilled breaths of air tickled the skin of the two figures standing high on a balcony, sending shivers down their spines. The smaller figure folded his arms around his body in a vague attempt to fend of the cold; the tall, lanky figure stood as if the falling temperature didn't faze him.

Friends went out to watch movies together; friends ordered takeaways to share when they didn't feel like cooking; friends stood outside in the darkening hours to enjoy the city view at night. Friends laughed together; friends gave each other knowing and meaningful smiles; friends felt a connection between them; friends could be perfectly made for each other’s company. There was a faint, thin line of what separated best friends and lovers on the outside, but they were two separate categories in the heart; however, despite the separate categories, the human brain could still muddled and overlapped them.

"Be a galaxy...for me? I don't understand." The smaller figure expressed his confusion after a slight giggle that made his lips form a cute, squashed heart shape.

"I want to be the galaxy to my world, Kyungsoo."

Kyungsoo blinked at the statement presented to him by the others deep, accented and currently hazed with thought voice. The younger didn't know how to react to the seriousness in the taller male’s voice; he didn't know if she should be amused or be worried so instead he stood with wide, curious eyes.

Kyungsoo could feel the warm smile spreading over his friends face even before he saw it as he said words that made Kyungsoo's mind race: "You are my world."

Eyes almost unblinking in shock, Kyungsoo fumbled in his head for any sensible reason his friend would say such a thing- he found none. Kyungsoo didn't understand.

"Kris...?" came a squeak from the younger's throat.

Kris hummed in response. His voice relaxed and almost sounding as if he was in a trance. Kyungsoo failed to notice the cloudy, deep look his eyes portrayed; he hadn't ever truly noticed it once throughout the whole two years he'd been close with Kris.

"Why are you saying all of this?"

The blunt answer that the taller figure would give was not what the younger expected or even considered. Kyungsoo's body froze and he could barely process the words accurately in his mind as Kris told him the reason.

"I love you."

It could have been years for all Kyungsoo knew, that they spent standing there in silence to only the dimmed night glow of the city. It was only when his heart felt heavy and his body starved of an element was it that the younger realized he'd been holding in a breath. Letting in and out air of his body slowly, the smaller figure stayed stuck in place.

"Kyungsoo..?" came a worried whisper that was carried in the breeze.

"Yes."

"Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo nodded.

A hand with long fingers that were decorated with several silver rings took a gentle hold of Kyungsoo's shoulder, caressing him though the fabric with a thumb.

"Kyungsoo..."

A faint hum escaped the still in shock Kyungsoo who couldn't get his head around the concept given to him as reality. It never occurred to him Kris saw him as anything more than his little, cute, squishy best friend (in Kris' terms.) He never thought twice about their relationship. He wasn't sure what to say or how he felt. Of course he loved every second spent by Kris' side and loved him enough he would probably give his life for him, but as a friend. He never thought about loving Kris in any other way but now he was forced to because his mind had to explore the possibility of other feelings. Kyungsoo pictured him and Kris holding hands walking side by side down a quiet street; he saw in the image the loving smiles they gave each other and even felt an odd sensation in his chest; he pictured the two of them with their faces inching closer to one another at a painfully slow speed. The image in the younger's mind soon turned from just picturing them to putting himself truly in the image, feeling Kris' warm breath and his own eyes instinctively wanting to flutter shut. Warm fingers and the cold of metal rings brushed against his face, ending up at the back of his neck. It was scary how easily he could picture the scene, Kyungsoo thought; it was odd how real it felt.

"I love you."

Kyungsoo jolted and his eyes flung open to see that they were really acting out the scene in his head. By the time he had registered the fact he must have got carried away in his imagination that he started acting it out and leaning in unintentionally, Kris' face was no longer only centimetres away from his; the taller had pulled away and was leaning with his back against the balcony barriers.

"Sorry i didn't mean to..." was the first thing the younger spilled out even though he knew it was to himself and not Kris, because of course a kiss is what the other wanted.

"Don't be."

"Kris...?"

Kris let out a soft sigh and tilted his head back, looking up at the spread of black across the sky. "I just thought it was about time I let you know how I feel. I know you only see me as a friend and that's enough for me." He smiled and said in such an honest way he convinced himself it was true. Being friends was brilliant, being able to spend such memorable times with the younger and seeing him so often was more than he could have hoped, however he still yearned for more.

"I never thought of you as a potential..." Kyungsoo left out the next word, stuttering and then picked up the sentence again, "but when you said how you felt I couldn't help but try and picture it all happening. I didn't realize I was partly acting out what was in my head it was only an image out of curiosity. But..." Kyungsoo hesitated and looked down, "it was strange but something felt right, and it was...scarily easy to imagine and feel it all."

There was a period of thoughtful silence as the two pieced together their own and the others feelings into one outcome.

"I do love you Kris and you know that." Kyungsoo started, comfortably confident that Kris would know he was confessing that love as a friend and no more at the present moment.

"Yes and I'm completely in love with you." The other spilled the honest words however this time the younger did not freeze up or even look fazed.

They both somehow knew what would come next, and they both somehow knew it was meant to be like this.

"Yes and now you say that my brain realizes how wrong it has been these past years."

Everything else was left unsaid; everything else was left to be expressed in a single exchange. Arms slipped around one another while fingers loosely clasped thin material; eye lids covered up the vision of the both of them; bodies came so close up to each other that the warmth felt cancelled out the cold air; lips locked together in a slow, innocent but passionate dance.

The image of two figures, a taller one leaning his head down to a smaller one standing on tip toes, pressed against each other kissing passionately on the balcony of an apartment block that was located in a dimly lit city, hung on the walls of the gallery.

Beside the painting was a small white information card.

'Centre of my universe' was written in bold as the title of the artwork. Under the title was a paragraph that read:

He asked if he could be your galaxy because you were already his world. He loved you and wanted to be someone always there for you. You didn't understand until after the kiss and then you said: "I'm your world and you're my galaxy of stars; together we hang in space and time, meaningless to other worlds and galaxies but we can pretend we are at the centre because we are the centre of each other’s lives and our life is like this universe of ours."

The artist name was written nowhere.