Ferris Wheel

Ferris Wheel

Baekho had always been that big brother in the block. He was average when it came down to intellectual conversations, but his heart made up for what he couldn’t do. His mother and father were drug addicts, so he was in charge of being the man of the house and supporting them. Not once in his life did he argue with anyone about the life he was handed. His simple goal was to graduate high school, find a steady job, and eventually get married. Strange goals for a child, but he never gave up on those goals. Eventually he did graduate from high school and even college. With a steady job as a high school teacher, Baekho just needed to find the one. Eventually Baekho realized the gem he had in his life and grew the courage to ask him out. That boy just happened to be his best friend, Minki.

Minki was a sweet boy, literally, his mother and father owned the chocolate shop in town. Both Minki and Baekho were best friends all the way from preschool to college. He had been his number one fan in life after he saved him from drowning at the neighborhood lake. They had been inseparable ever since.

Their first date was simple, but special. The carnival just happened to be in town that week and he knew that was the spot he wanted to take him. By the end of the night Baekho took Minki on the ferris wheel and kissed his at the top telling him he loved him. They have been together ever since and now it was time to take the next step in his goal in life. Ask Minki to marry him.

After picking Minki up from his apartment, Baekho took the five minute drive to the carnival in town. It was fate. He would propose the same way he confessed his love, at the top of the ferris wheel.

Pure happiness was what thrived in Baekho’s veins. His hand was tightly clasped with his boyfriend’s as they walked around for the timing just had to be perfect. They had been together now for two years and growing stronger each day. Going to the carnival was their thing and he planned to make it that much more special for them.

“Oh, Baekho look at that white tiger!” Baekho heard Minki squeal out as he followed the other’s long delicate finger to the huge stuffed white tiger hanging over the carnival milk bottle game. The white tiger was in upright sitting position looking very soft. Turning to look back at Minki, Baekho sees his eyes shining brightly. Just like that Baekho knew he had to get the white tiger for him, it could not be helped. Tightening his hold on his boyfriend’s hand, he tugged him over with him to the well-known milk bottle carnival game.

The objective was simple, knock all three bottle down. The execution on the other hand might be a bit hard depending on the person. Standing 5’-8’ from the counter the player is handed three bean bags. From there it is simple as knocking all three bottles down with the bean bag in hand. Knocking all three bean bags in one go gets the player a large prize (aka White Tiger), but if the player fails to do so in one go then the prize gets smaller until there are just a bunch of consolation prizes to go home with.

Baekho let go of Minki’s hand and kissed his cheek, “I am going to get you that prize, Min” with a wink his way he set the money down on the table top. Quickly the teenage boy standing behind the stand hands him three little red bean bags, raggedy from use, and dirty from many falls. Moving back the necessary 5’ he tosses the bean bag up in the air to test its weight, Baekho smiles. With a bright smile he aims the little bean bag, his arm back, and throws. The bag sails through the air and suddenly it hits…the back wall to the far right. His aim was nowhere near the milk bottles, so they stood there mocking him.

Shaking his head he turns to smile at Minki, “It was just a practice throw babe. I’ll get it this time.” Throwing the next two bean bags consecutively all he hears is, splat, splat, thunk, thunk, yet again nothing. Grabbing his wallet he sets his money down once more. The consolation prizes continue to pile up as Baekho continues to miss the milk bottle. Frustrated at seeing the pile of at least 15 consolation prizes he throws another bean bag. Suddenly he feels Minki tug on his arm and turn him around. Minki smiles shyly at him and rubs his cheek, “Let me try this time.”

Sighing heavily, Baekho hands Minki some money and stands facing away from the stupid carnival game. Tucking his hands in his jean pockets he slumps against a metal pole with a huff, muttering to himself about stupid rigid games and how he did not want to be there in the first place when all of a sudden he hears the teenage boy yell out along with his boyfriend in happiness and surprise. Quickly turning around he watches as Minki points at the white tiger plush. Rubbing his eyes to make sure he is not imagining it he watches, as if in slow-motion, the teenager hands Minki the white tiger.

Slowly he walks over to Minki and stares at the white tiger blankly. It took Minki one try and he had tried 15 different times to no avail. Suddenly the white tiger is in his arms, looking up into Minki’s eyes he holds the white tiger. “For you, my white tiger” Minki giggles with the most carefree expression on his precious porcelain face.

Baekho stares blankly into the plush toy’s beady black eyes, all he can see is pure mockery and ridicule in them. Tightening his hold on the white tiger Baekho imagines tearing it up piece by piece until nothing is left intact. Suddenly he is pulled away from his thoughts when Minki wraps his arm around his bicep.

Looking down at him all he sees is his shining brown eyes full of wonder and love. Obviously Minki was not giving him the white tiger to mock him, but as a sign of his own nickname for him. Minki tended to be like that, selfless and caring. With a sigh, Baekho kisses his forehead and rubs his soft white skin with his free hand. Looking into his eyes he whispers out a calm thank you.

Tucking Minki under one arm and the white tiger under the other, Baekho smiled as they continued on their date. Silently he was hoping that he wouldn’t want him to play anymore games after using the majority of his money on the milk bottle game. Money aside, Baekho truly was having a great time with Minki like always.

Checking his watch, he noticed it was always time for the sun to set. Feeling the weight of the engagement ring in his pocket, Baekho finally began to feel nervous. Clearing his throat, Baekho looked down at the single person in his life he could never imagine living without, now was the time, “How ‘bout I take these toys back to the car and you meet me by one of the food stands by the ferris wheel?”

Minki simply agreed happily and walked away. Taking the bag of cancelation prizes and the huge white tiger with him, Baekho quickly made his way to the car and put all the toys away. As he was walking back, he noticed a single plush toy had fallen out of the bag. Bending down he finds it to be a miniature version of the white tiger Minki had won.

Turning the plush toy every which way, Baekho comes up with an idea. Walking over to one of the bracelet makers at the carnival he asks for a special one to be made for him. After telling the woman exactly he wants on it, Baekho smiles proud of himself. No more than ten minutes later the bracelet is handed to him. Tying the bracelet around the miniature white tiger’s neck, he is ready to go.

Quickly making his way over to the ferris wheel, Baekho finds Minki staring in wonderment up at the ever changing colors of the sky, sunset was soon approaching. Taking his hand, Baekho watches him jump slightly as if not expecting him to be back so soon. Kissing him softly, Baekho pulls back and motions towards the ferris wheel in front of them, “Want to get on for ol’times sake?”

With a nod, Minki and Baekho make their way towards the ferris wheel. Getting on Baekho, discreetly takes out the engagement ring as Minki settles into his seat. Sweating slightly at the mere thought that he might possibly say no, Baekho takes in a deep breath as they slowly begin to rise. Pulling the white tiger out from his pocket, he sets it on his lap, “Look what I found?”

He watches as Minki raises the white tiger with curious eyes. Giggling a bit he hugs it to his chest and give Baekho a light kiss, “It’s a mini you babe.”

The moment of truth had finally arrived, “You should read its collar.”

Taking in a deep breath he watches as he reads the collar which reads, so you want to spend the rest of your life with me. A mix of reactions can be seen on his face, but the single thing he takes most note of is the hand pressed to his mouth and the tears in his eyes. Waiting a second or two, just to get his bearing together, Baekho takes his hand in his and says, “Minki you have been my best friend and my number one fan for as long as I can remember. You have stood by me through everything and have never once given up on me. Sometimes I don’t understand what you are doing with a loser like me, but I don’t care. I love you more than I can ever say or even try to explain. There is nothing I cannot do with you by my side. When we were little do you remember that assignment we had about our goals in life?” he waits as he nods with tears now streaming down his face, “Well mine were to graduate high school, find a steady job, and someday get married. I have two of those three and you have been by my side through each step. My question now is, will you follow me and help me complete the next goal in life?”

Taking the ring in his thumb and forefinger, Baekho presents it to Minki and smiles at the true love and pure joy screaming through his eyes, “Minki, my best friend, will you marry me?”

The world goes silent for a second or two as there is no response from Minki, assuming the worse Baekho bows his head in defeat. Suddenly he is surrounded by blonde silky hair and the smell of vanilla as Minki throws himself into his arms. Wrapping his arms tightly around him all he hears is a whispered, “Yes.”