Your Attention To Me

Your Attention To Me

“Why did you save me?” The question fell out of Yesung’s lips.

 

Eeteuk was currently lying on the hospital bed. He just arrived in his private room from a major surgery because of a gunshot. He received the bullet that was supposed to be for Yesung.

 

“I hate you but…” Eeteuk took in a deep breath. He was tired from the surgery. Talking seemed to take a lot of effort. “… I never wished for you to die.” He closed his eyes and instantly went to a restful sleep.

 

Yesung used his time to look at Eeteuk. He could see how Eeteuk had physically changed but he knew that Eeteuk’s personality was still the same. Eeteuk had always been kind- hearted.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

3 years ago…

 

“You must be happy that we’re graduating today.” Yesung blew out the smoke from his mouth as the cigarette was comfortably held between his two fingers. “Here. Take a drag.” He offered the cigarette to Eeteuk.

 

Eeteuk frowned because the smoke might stick on their graduation clothes. He doesn’t want to smell like cigarette when he walks on stage and gets his diploma from the principal and other important people. Besides, he doesn’t like smoking but there are times Yesung would force him to do so like today. “I can’t believe you’re bullying me even during graduation day.” He takes the cigarette from Yesung’s hand and took a drag. As usual, he would cough it out.

 

Yesung offered a chewing gum to Eeteuk, much to Eeteuk’s surprise. “You’re going to receive awards later. You wouldn’t want to smell like smoke.”

 

“Thanks.” This was the first time Yesung offered a chewing gum to Eeteuk after smoking. He would usually press the hot part of the cigarette on Eeteuk’s hand which would hurt Eeteuk a lot.

 

“We’ll be going to different colleges. I’ll miss bullying you.” There was a sadistic smirk on Yesung’s face.

 

“I wouldn’t mind if you continue to bully me if it would mean saving another person from being bullied by you.” Eeteuk replied with a forced smile on his face.

 

Yesung knew how Eeteuk totally hated being bullied but he would always sacrifice himself to save the other nerds and losers in their school.  Yesung had to admire him for that. “You always act like a martyr. That will cause your death someday.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

 A year and a half before graduation.

 

Yesung was surrounded by gangsters. He was being punched, kicked, hit with baseball bats and slashed with butterfly knife. He was bleeding, bruising and hurting all over. The last person he never expected to save him was Eeteuk.

 

No, Eeteuk didn’t know any cool kung-fu moves. He just happened to create a smoke bomb as a science project and decided to sacrifice that project in order to save Yesung. The smoke blinded the enemies so Eeteuk used this chance to drag Yesung and escape.

 

“Why did you save me?” Yesung asked with blood trickling down at the side of his lips.

 

Eeteuk simply shrugged. “You looked like you needed help.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Back to the present, Yesung continued to reminisce the memories he had with Eeteuk back in their high school and elementary years.

 

Yesung had always been the one to cause Eeteuk’s pain with his constant bullying. He had caused bruises, burns and whatever injury to Eeteuk but whenever Yesung was the one in pain, it had always been Eeteuk who would put betadine on his wounds or ice on his bruises or helped him walk towards the clinic.

 

When Yesung would tear up or burn Eeteuk’s assignment or purposely messed up with Eeteuk’s projects, Eeteuk would help Yesung with his own projects and assignments. When Yesung would steal some of Eeteuk’s money, Eeteuk. When Yesung would cuss a lot and throw bad words to Eeteuk, never did Eeteuk say a single bad or curse word to Yesung.

 

Eeteuk had always been nice. He’s the nicest person that Yesung had ever known to exist. But Yesung knows that no matter how nice Eeteuk acted, Eeteuk still hated Yesung a lot. Eeteuk never said a single bad word but he would always voice out his hatred. “I hate you.” “I hate it when you do this or that.” “I wish the teacher will punish you.” Eeteuk either had a calm facade or a frown on his face and never smiles to Yesung.

 

Yesung doesn’t understand how a Eeteuk who hated him so much would act so nice and caring towards him.

 

They hadn’t seen each other for 3 years since they graduated but last night, Yesung was involved in a gang fight. Just when he was about to get shot, Eeteuk suddenly came out of nowhere, pushed Yesung away and ended up getting shot in Yesung’s place.

 

“Why did you save me?” Yesung asked the same question he had asked years ago. Eeteuk hated him. They had nothing to do with each other now. Heck, they haven’t seen each other for the past 3 years and now… Eeteuk just decided to save him once again.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Yesung visited Eeteuk at the hospital whenever he had free time. Eeteuk had complications from the surgery so he had to stay longer in the hospital than expected.

 

“It’s weird to see you being so nice to me. It almost makes me forget that I still hate you.” Eeteuk said as he watched Yesung peel an apple for him.

 

“It’s only because I’ve been feeling guilty but once you’re going to be normal and healthy again, I won’t stay nice to you anymore.” Yesung sliced the apple into bite size before giving the plate to Eeteuk.

 

“I see.” Eeteuk took a piece of sliced apple and placed it in his mouth.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

Visiting hours were over. Yesung had met up with Eeteuk’s nurse along the hallway. “It’s good to see you again, Yesung. You’re the only visitor that Eeteuk has so he really feels happy whenever you visit him.”

 

“Really?” Yesung did remember that Eeteuk was quite a loner but that was mainly because of his bullying so other people wouldn’t go near Eeteuk because they’re afraid that Yesung might bully them too. They haven’t seen each other for the past 3 years so Eeteuk must have gained some friends, right?  “Did he really say that?”

 

“Yes, he did. You know how Eeteuk rarely smiles right? But he always wears a small smile on his face whenever he tells me that you visited today. I’ve got to go and attend to my other paitents.” The nurse excused herself and went to knock on her other patient’s door.

 

Yesung feels all the more confused. What does Eeteuk really feel for him?

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

On the day of Eeteuk’s discharge, Yesung was there and helped Eeteuk pack his things.

 

“Will we see each other again?” Eeteuk asked.

 

Yesung raised an eyebrow. “Do you want to see the person you hate again?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Yesung thought that Eeteuk was joking but there was no sense of sarcasm in his voice and his face looked completely serious. “I don’t understand you, Eeteuk. Why are you always nice to me? Why do you save me? Why do you want to see me again? And yet, you hate me.”

 

“I always say that I hate you but…” Yesung wondered if there was something wrong with his eyes because that couldn’t be a blush spreading on Eeteuk’s cheeks, is it? “There was one thing that I’ve always liked about you.”

 

“And what is that?”

 

“Attention.”

 

“What?”

 

“You always give me attention.” Eeteuk explained. “Even if all you did was just bullying me, I had your attention. Nobody else gave attention to me. I don’t have friends. I’m an illegitimate, unwanted child so my parents never really gave me their attention. I feel like there’s no need for me to exist but when you’re around, even if it means that I’m going to be your punching bag, I feel like I have a reason to exist.”

 

“You’re weird and pretty twisted.” Yesung zipped the bag closed and handed it to Eeteuk. He finally understood Eeteuk’s weird personality.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

A few days later on one afternoon, Yesung found himself standing in front of Eeteuk’s school waiting for Eeteuk to come out.

 

“Yesung?” There was a disbelief expression on Eeteuk’s face and voice. “What are you doing here?”

 

“You said you wanted us to keep on seeing each other.” Yesung shrugged. He thought that when he would see Eeteuk again, he would have the urge to be violent and bully Eeteuk but apparently, he doesn’t.

 

And then, there was a silent and uncomfortable atmosphere in between them. Yesung reached out and grabbed Eeteuk’s arm. Eeteuk instantly went tense.

 

“Are you scared that I might hurt you?”

 

Eeteuk nodded.

 

“But you still want to keep on seeing each other even if you’re scared that I might make you do things that you don’t want to do.”

 

Eeteuk nodded again.

 

“You really are weird and twisted.” Yesung pulled Eeteuk and enveloped him in a hug. “It’s ok. You don’t need to be scared of me anymore. I’ve lost the urge to bully or to be violent towards you. I don’t plan to hurt you, at least not intentionally.”

 

“You’re actually going to try to be my friend and be nice to me? I’m not dreaming, am I?” There was a small smile on Eeteuk’s face when he said it. It’s the first time Yesung had seen Eeteuk’s smile.

 

Yesung doesn’t know why he was doing this. Maybe he was finally feeling guilty for all the bad things he had done to Eeteuk and wanted to make up for it. Maybe he pitied Eeteuk for the sad story that Eeteuk shared to him. Maybe he was just simply starting to like Eeteuk.

 

“No, you’re not.” Yesung flicked Eeteuk’s forehead with his finger.

 

“Ow! I thought you said you won’t hurt me anymore.” Eeteuk rubbed his own forehead to lessen the pain.

 

Yesung grabbed Eeteuk’s hand and placed a kiss on Eeteuk’s forehead causing Eeteuk to blush. “Sorry.” Yesung apologized with a sincere tone.

 

They still have a lot of things to work on with their newfound friendship or if it is more than just that but things were looking good right now. Yesung had a feeling that it’ll somehow work out between the two of them in the near future.

 

THE END

 

A/N: So if you liked this fic, make sure to comment and I think you'll like my other YeTeuk fic "Didn't Know About It Before."