001.

A warning sign.

(Week one.)

 

Everyone knew that Yixing and Luhan were like twins: they'd always be together, even if silently. The infamous duo didn't act under SM's orders, because their friendship blossomed from things in commom - they could be jerks together, have fun together, piss the brain out of their leader together and make everyone laugh together. Kris would never impose himself against Luhan being Yixing's pair in some activity: they wouldn't have it any other way. 

And even thought the older of them could have Sehun and Minseok, Yixing was his safety place. The same could be told about Yixing relying on Luhan like always, but Luhan himself always seemed to have something against the other chinese addiction in helping the others. Or just being happy with another group member.

"What on earth were you thinking, Zhang Yixing?"

"What?"

"Don't give a freaking what, just... Just. Aa-rgh. You're useless."

"What?"

"For God's sake, leave me alone."

And that's how Luhan left throught the door, leaving a blank Yixing and a confused Jongdae behind. They were just chilling on the couch while Yixing would lazily explain the plot of some random cheesy drama to a clueless Jongdae. That's how they liked to spend spare time: doing absolutely nothing important. Jongdae fingers would occasionally slide the soft, pale skin of his friend, too distract on their little time of skinship to even notice Luhan screaming and yelling on the phone - actually the chinese did listened to his friend, but he thought Luhan was having one of "his moments" with Sehun. 

The component of Chinaline was just too loud when he was proactive, and that's why he didn't dare to listen what they were talking about. Couldn't be something important, right? And that's why Lay managed to put himself together and get on his feet, almost instantly creating a line between his face and Jongdae's, while the later was still blinking like he was trying too hard to understand Luhan's suddenly attack. 

"It was just me, or you don't have any clue about what happened?" He asked, a little insecure. Well, a lot of to tell the truth but he couldn't let it show so easily.

"Nope. Nothing. Na-da." Jongdae mumbled the little spanish he knew, biting his lips while looking to the taller. 

"Should I go there or..." He started, but he line of thoughts were interrupted when Jongdae's fingers rushed to his own, intertwining his own to the other's. 

"The answer is no again because we have to finish this episode. Only then you'll be allowed to go after Luhan, okay? Let me have your company a little, 'cuz I think that sometimes you're only interested in my hyungs! And by hyungs I mean Kris and Luhan only." Jongdae was not one to beg, like, never. Yes, he was always kind and caring but if he was asking to company maybe Yixing should hive him some. Luhan wouldn't mind, for sure. That's how Yixing saw himself back on the couch, his legs on top of Jongdae's lap. 

Time passed and between some random explosions, a car accident that seemed extracted of Bollywood and some cheesy pick-up lines, they were done. Yixing then peeked at his side, so the corner os his eyes could catch a sleepy Jongdae already half-sleeping. He took some care while sliding off the comfort he was all settled, tip-toeing with all careful; but not before taking Jongdae's hat to give him a better sleep. 

Jongdae could be such a cutie sometimes.


 

"Luhan?"

Yixing went to Luhan's room later that same night, his voice going from low until he could mae himself clear enough to be heard.

"... Luhan-ge?"

"... Hyung?"

"... My favorite manly friend?"

"Shut up." Finally an answer.

"You know, Luhan... You're not making any sense. What happened early?"

"I'm making perfect sense. I'm always making sense. I'm like, the most reasonable guy around here."

"That's not right. Minseok is the most reasonable guy around here."

"Do not interrupt me."

"I'm not interrupting, I'm just correcting you."

"So what? Stop correcting me, stupid. Nobody likes a Mr-know-it-all, you should know it. Harry Potter's book gave us some good advice about it."

"Yeah, but in the end, Ron and Harry becomes best friends with Hermione."

"That's not the point."

"The point is that you don't have a point."

"But I do have! You're just not listening to me."

"Okay... Go ahead."

"Why did you tell Jongin that when you dance with him, it's just like everything makes sense to you?!"

"Wha-what? What are you talking about, how do you even know about what I'm talking with Jongin?"

"Sehun told that Jongin told him about your dancing-alone-time."

"Yes. And...?"

"And how could you?! How can you say that everything makes sense when you're with him? Jongin, really? Him? Jongin is lame."

"Stop being jealous for a second and let me understand why are you jealous on the first place!"

"I'm not jealous, you pretensious prick!"

"Yes you are, otherwise you'd not be so... So freaked out!"

"That's absolutely not about jealousy."

"Okay, so... That's about what?"

"It's about you and me, as friends."

"I still don't get it." 

"It's just..."

But how could he explain what he was feeling? Yes, there was some jealousy but nothing like Yixing was thinking, at least he wouldn't admit to himself something like that. Maybe yes, his chest felt a little tight when he discovered that his bestfriend had a kind of bond that couldn't be replaced with someone else, but it shouldn't let him feel so bothered. It really shouldn't if you consider that yes, Luhan always knew that Yixing bonded with almost everyone - that's just how he is: kind, open-minded, ready to do not judge his friends. 

He always knew that someday Yixing would find a better person to relay, but accepting the fact was so hard. So, so hard. And even then, he wasn't on a safe place to complain because he got-... 

"Lu-ge, are you okay?" His tone was soft, like he was talking to a five years old little boy too afraid to be scolded. He even let his hand touch the other's hair, and the caress seemed to work good, because the older just went silent. Luhan was too tired to function.

"Yes, yes I am." The reply wasn't strong, but clear enough to the dancer understand that this was all he could have for now. "I just need to sleep, okay?" 

"Okay."


 

(Week two.)

 

Things got a little awkward after what Jongdae called as "Luhan's episode". They shared the dorm, but they weren't exactly talking and Yixing couldn't remember why. Maybe Luhan growed tired of him and he could understand it but he actually couldn't afford the consequences; he couldn't feel happy because him and  Luhan were made of the little subtle things that constructs a strong, solid friendship. 

Yixing could point everything Luhan liked the best, every flavor of food, any scratchs he had all over his body (because his "ge" would tell him while pointing and sharing silly stories of how he ended with a stupid bruise because the floor wasn't exactly like a pillow). Because of that, he'd spend more and more time with Yifan. 

Yifan seemed taken of mangas pages. Like, really. He could be described as stunning, almost ethereal. He got a real "cool vibe" with those strong eyes and sharp jawline, his skin was so so so freaking soft that Yixing could only point his endless cosmetics as the reason for it - mother nature could not simply let someone have such a flawless skin. 

His friendship with Kris started back on trainee days, where they couldn't eat too much neither rest too much and they were even prohibiteds of talking too much; they had to be respectful, corteous, graceful, they had to bow to everyone (and Yixing was always particulary found of this rule, one time Yifan saw him bowing to a ing tree). 

It was his function to make fun of the elder in ever interview, just like it was Yixing himself the first one to speak up in Yifan's defense. Yes, he could tell some secrets here and there about their time as trainees, he could throw the chic guy image to pieces, but he could absolutely not let anyone else do such a terrible thing. Sometimes, he'd have Luhan's backup and together they're always making a hell of duizhang's life, but the later would never tell speak aloud that he would never want anything different. 

So it wasn't suprising when Yixing went to Kris asking for advices in what he could have done wrong with Luhan.

"Well, did you mocked his hair? Called him a woman?" Yifan said, emoticon lacked in his voice and Yixing couldn't really blame him because the subject itself was kinda boring.

"No and no, and you're not helping to think while doing this." By this he meant the way Yifan's finger would make some random pictures on his back, while the younger was resting his head on the older's lap and allowed him to be distract with his own body. "I'm sleepy, I shouldn't be sleepy, I should be trying to figure Luhan out."

"You'll never figure him out, you're like that Pókemon... Jigglypuff. Cute, harmless, and putting everyone to sleep with your voice." There was no offense said about his voice, Kris only thought about the smooth taking control of Yixing's tone everytime he'd play the guitar and sing alone.

"Shut up, I'm not a ridiculous pink-pokemon. I'm a unicorn, remember?" He told, a fragile laugh scaping his lips while now he gave his back to the couch and his eyes were now fixed on Yifan. "And you... You're Snorlax. If I'm jigglypuff, you're Snorlax."

"Are you calling me fat?" Disbelief took over his voice.

"If you manage to stay lazy like this to the rest of your life, yes, you'll eventually be fat. Not that I care much, I won't be cooking for you the rest of my life." The dancer replied with a mocking tone, but was surprised by Kris suddenly action of letting one arm lock his body in a half-hug.

"But that's not fair! You should spend the rest of your life with me, cooking whenever I want and wearing a cute pinky apron, what you think?"

"I think you should yourself, Wu Yifan."

"I think you should help me with that, Zhang Yixing."

"Gross, men. Gross. Totally gross, let me out!" He tried set himself free, but the older just locked his arms even tighter, which caused a scene of two grown-up man screaming and saying nonsense things while rolling (now on the floor).

They didn't even see the person next to the door looking at them with a sad expression tooking over his face. 

 


 

(Week three.)

 

"Guuuurl, you'll be a woman soon." 

The overly famous track was playing on Luhan's phones, the road was long enough for finish almost two playlists. Yixing was right next to him, too distracted in his own world to even care about anyone else. They had a long day ahead, and the snow falling outside was making a beautiful and natural scenario. The vocalist blowed air into the window, seeing whis breathe marking the glass, just to start drawing clouds and a shiny sun trying to appear between his former clouds.

"Your drawing ." 

His bones went ing cold, he could sweart to the Seven Gods about it. He was innocently drawing and then Yixing's voice was just right next to his ear, whispering and mocking and scaring the out of him. Luhan attempt to jump, however, was interrupted by the other's arms holding his waist and putting him still.

"Scared cat? C'mon, my charge went down and I want to listen some music." Lay started taking one side of his phones, but was stopped by a loud slap on the back of his hand.

"Hey! Get off! I'm trying to have some peace, and I don't know if you understand my concept of peace but I'm not talking about you stealing my phones." 

Well, he had a point. But Yixing just took his Iphone anyway, absort in finding something that seemed like a big deal, judging by how he was narrowing his features. 

"God, finally." He murmured in chinese, playing the song while relaxing his head on the other's shoulders, resting a hand on his lap just in case Luhan was thinking about changing seats. He would not allow such a thing, not when he found something to speak for him - it was stupid, only some weeks in silence, just some random days and he felt like drowing. 

And then Chris Martin's voice started to consume him, telling Luhan how he looked for excuses, how he wanted to tell what kind of state he was. He needed to say in his loudest tones that he started looking for a warning sign; and all this mess because he missed the older. He missed him so, so utterly much and couldn't understand why they were distant in the first place. Luhan was always there haunting his dreams and pushing away his nightmares, and for Christ's sake he was an entire island for Yixing to discover.

And during the dancer's moment of waiting, Luhan felt like his entire world was falling apart. That his stupid reasons to not talking to his best friend were nothing but mean and selfish. Yixing was right there, hand on his lap and the music was fitting like a confession that he was being missed. That Yixing missed him, not Yifan. Not Jongdae, even Jongin or Minseok. Goosebumps would not start describing what type of feeling was rushing trought his veins, so he decided to interlacing his fingers with the brunette, taking of his own glove before so he could actually feel his skin getting warm and warm and then his cheekbones went furiously red and his voice was kinda breaking on his troath but he managed to stay strong. 

"I missed you too." 

Cracked. That's how the voice became alive, but Yixing ignored this detail in favor to move his head and rest the tip of his noice on the other's cheek, sinking right there. They stayed quiet, just theirs thumbs caressing and pretending to fight against another. The dancer closed his eyes, looking peaceful for the first time in seven hellish days: he managed to be close to Luhan again, and he only had to give him a song.

If that's the price to have Luhan happy, he'd give him all the songs around the world.

He would write the sweetest lyrics ever written for him.

And only for him.


 

(Week four.)

 

A month passed after "Luhan's episode" and even if they know how bad they missed each other, nothing changed much. Not when Luhan already knew his reason to be jealous, not when his chest would tight like the world's strongest knot everytime Yixing was relaxing with Yifan (which always means both of them lazily playing with the other hair or anything stupid like that). Mostly when Yixing was being the stupid kind er teaching mandarim to Jongdae until late night. And the worst part was knowing that was his fault if Yixing developed an obssession with training harder, staying alone until the moon was blessing the stars and the dark could take somebody's soul outside on the streets. 

But he was tired of it, tired of denying himself something that he wanted so bad, so much. He was in that current state when you're willing to give anything for the one you-... He didn't need a word. Not now, not when his body was tired and his skin so pale after taking a nap on the studio's couch. There was no one left but a song was playing back on the room, so curiosity took the best of him. The vocal had to rub his eyes until he could saw the perfect opportunity to make everything right again. 

Yixing was training late and the beats were consuming him, molding him, and it's alright, it's okay because he got time to make everything on his way. And dancing, to him, is like the finest way of showing love, of making passion let it be, while he's dancing people can't harm him, can't touch him. Yixing didn't want to die from boredom, didn't want to become a captive trapped in his own life - he wanted more, he always wanted more. 

He wanted to love, to live, to be free in every and perfect sense. He had all those dreams consuming every little inch of him, and the dance could actually help him to get it all together; the warm feeling bombing his blood throught the body, like an addicting drug taking control of his system. And then his feet are moving and his head spinning but nothing matters because yes, that's life: confusing, hard to get the right beat, makes you sweat and ask for more, more, please give one more beat. Please beat me harder before I kneel on the ground.

Luhan thought he was beautiful. Beautiful in every meaning ot the word, like you can blame a living creature of being beautiful for just breathing. His moves were sharp, effective and the same time: fluid. He was like water, like a corrent flowing in the sea, like everything he couldn't put in words but picture on his creative mind. Maybe thinking those things about your bestfriend isn't the best way to go, but yes, yes, yes. He wasn't moving on, for Yixing. He'd stay right there admiring every aspect of the younger, he'd stay by his side until last day on earth. For him.

"You're everything I can't, and won't ever be. You care about the others, you're not selfish, you're always watching our backs, you're always packing lunch for Yifan 'cuz he's an annoying little about his weight. And I know you force Minseok to eat too, making him forget about his cheeks-complex! And for God's sake, you can actually manage to have patience with Taozi and all his aegyo attemptions to make we buy something for him..."

At first his voice was fragile, like he could broke if talked very loud. There was some pauses, and even a time when he thought the words wouldn't come out of his mouth, but then, at the middle of his rant, the music was gone and he got Yixing's attention all into himself. It was the right moment, the right chance, and he could absolutely not make it wrong.

"You're so touchy-feeling with Jongdae, and again, you're patient as teaching him how to speak Mandarim properly. So well, you're our strenght. Our secret guardian, who's always there for we to rely on. But I just want you to know, that I'm not here for you to take care of, Yixing. I'm here to tell you how special you are, how amazing you are, how I'll always be here. It doesn't matter if you're injuried, it doesn't matter if you spend months, even years to recover, because I'll be always with you to take care of you."

The speech was making him got more and more energy to keep going, so that's why Luhan stepped aside, taking Lay's hands on his and looking into his eyes like he wanted to devour his entire soul. His large and sparkling eyes only focus was the angelic dancer in front of him, so he was not allowed to stop before the right end.

"I was acting like a ing dickhead, but that's only because I'm jealous. I'm jealous of everything and everyone taking the best of you when I should be the one doing it. I'm not asking you to let me keep you all to myself, not now. I just want to ask for your forgiveness, because I cannot function without the best part of me anymore."

Yixing was left speechless. He couldn't believe half of those words, and wait a second did Luhan just called him what? His heart was beating so, so fast, so absurdly fast that he could actually feel it marking on his fingertips; making him understand Luhan's fit one month ago. Making him understand that it wasn't like his friend was mad about him being with the others... In fact he was, but not in a mean way, maybe he was just too jealous to function?

The next few seconds seemed taken from a cheap book about romance, because the dancer knew nothing better to describe what was taking him over than butterflies getting control if his stomach and for all kind of Gods around the world why Luhan was so close to him. And why he was so beautiful and so ing slow. Why the older was so blind in his jealousy to not see how Yixing himself wasn't always pleased of all the fanservice Luhan had to do, why Luhan wasn't allowed to see before that Yixing wanted nothing more than close that stupid inches between them (and he was so close, so close that their breathes were mixing and Luhan was like cinnamon and Yixing like eucalyptus and coffee and the entire world could fall apart but they would not move so...)

"Am I interrupting something?"

Zitao.

ing Zitao.

ing Zitao with his ing nunchucks and his ing aegyo and his stupid bad timing.

"Stupid ing clockblocker." Luhan whispered against the corner of Yixing's mouth, still giving his back to the door where he could see Zitao throught the mirror. "You better run before Ii murder you, Huang Zitao! And there's no freaking Jackie Chan in the world who can save you from me, I swear to God I'll show Yixing how manly I am when I give him your ing cute head on a plate."

And just like that, the moment was gone. But they were friends, best friends. Partners. And know the dancer could tell exactly why Luhan was always looking upset after seeing him with Kris. So maybe now, they'd make it work. Maybe now they would be subtle again, subtle but constant, unobtrusive but always there. Because they were the deer and the unicorn, and nothing, even a curious Panda, an overprotective dragon, a clueless korean and a cute Baozi couldn't tear them apart.

In fact, they only made them stronger.

 

 


 

DONE!

Okay, I made this while talking to a friend of mine about how Layhan is a pairing that do not get the deserved attention! Well, that's what I think so I decided that I should try to write something... I don't even know what I just did, so I'd love to hear you guys, share your comments with me if you liked it :) Sorry about Tao ing 3 And sorry about my poor english, I'm recently trying to write in english (it's not my first language) so it's not something well-constructed but I made with all my heart while trying to put my perspective about their friendship (and love çlasdlkad). See yooou.