I will always love you.

I will always love you.

Word count: 4018 words. (11 pages on MW)

 

‘RING’. The shrill ringing of a school bell being sounded signalled the end of the schooling day. The previously silent halls quickly filled up with the laughter and noisy chatter of students. They were all elated as it was Friday which meant they could stay up all night if they wanted to.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol came walking out of Classroom 7, both already immersed in laughter. They went up to their lockers – which happened to be aside each other’s – and exchanged all the books they did not need with those needed for the weekend. Most of the times Chanyeol would dump everything messily in his locker, in which Baekhyun would nag at him.

“How in the world do you stand all this mess?!” Baekhyun once shrieked at him.

Chanyeol would roll his eyes and arrange his books properly. Today was no different. Baekhyun was halfway through with his daily lecture at Chanyeol – who was not paying attention – when someone ran up to them.

Despite all the running, Kim Heechul was not breathing heavily or even breaking a sweat. He was quite the diva after all, and divas simply did not perspire.

“Hey guys! Looking good, Chanyeol. And that cardigan does suit your eyes, Baekhyun. Anyway, I am about to invite you two lovebirds to my cats’ 5th birthday party!” Heechul let out a squeal of excitement.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared a glance.

“When is it?” Chanyeol asked.

“Details, details,” Heechul sighed. “Tomorrow, preferably at half past eight, my house. You know where it is. I am so very sorry for the absolutely late notice, yet I am sure you guys can make it,” he said, waving his hand before rushing away.

Chanyeol looked over at Baekhyun, who had a wry expression planted on his face. He knew what was wrong.

Chanyeol was absolutely sure he could go; his parents almost never took any notice of him. But Baekhyun’s parents were the complete opposite of his. They were so very protective of their son, a little too protective for Chanyeols’ taste. It was very difficult to get them to trust him, especially when finding out he was Baekhyun’s boyfriend after only – yes, only - two years of being best friends. Chanyeol doubted that they would allow Baekhyun out at such a short notice. Baekhyun could not go. Unless…

“So what do you think of it?” Baekhyun asked.

Chanyeol snapped out of his daydream.

“Pardon?”

Baekhyun huffed impatiently. “I said, what do you think if I tried aegyo on my mum?”

Chanyeol shrugged. “You know your parents best.”

“You’re not helping!”

 

On the way back, Chanyeol teased Baekhyun on what he would do if Baekhyun did not follow him to the party.

“I will drink soju until I pass out.”

“Or maybe French kiss another guy.

Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol. “You would not dare!”

They started to push each other playfully. In a short while, they reached Baekhyun’s house. It was a daily routine, Chanyeol sending Baekhyun home and then Chanyeol riding his motorbike – which was parked no less than a hundred metres away – back to his house.

“Bye Yeollie.” Baekhyun tiptoed and kissed his giant on the tip of his nose. Chanyeol was pretty tall for a sophomore.

Baekhyun was just turning away when Chanyeol called out to him. “Baekhyun-ah. Wait.”

“Yes, Yeol?”

“If your umma does not allow you to go…”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow when Chanyeol hesitated.

“Could you sneak out?”

“What!?”

Chanyeol sighed. He had expected this reaction from Baekhyun. The latter always was a mothers’ boy.

“Sneak out. Please. For me.”

“I-it might be dangerous. What if something happens?” Baekhyun felt uneasy. He hated lying to his parents.

“It won’t be dangerous, and nothing will happen. Even if anything does, you can put the blame on me. But nothing will happen, trust me. You can trust me, right?”

Baekhyun bit his lip and looked away. Chanyeol’s eye contact with him was making him feel uneasy. He never had sneaked out before, but from eavesdropping on other peoples’ conversations, the satisfaction of managing it was thrilling. Baekhyun glanced into Chanyeol’s expectant eyes.

“Fine. But just this once.” Baekhyun said.

Chanyeol’s eyes lit up.

“Babe, you’re the best!” He said and swept Baekhyun up into a tight hug.

Baekhyun chuckled. He knew Chanyeol really wanted to go to Heechul’s party. They had only been together for a month, and Chanyeol wanted to show that their best-friend relationship had blossomed into something well. And Heechul – being Heechul – was the popular kid in school. Only the popular kids went to his parties. Chanyeol was the school soccer captain, and Baekhyun was well known for his beauty – for he was prettier than many girls. Together, they made a perfect couple.

“So, tomorrow? I’ll fetch you at eight, okay?” Chanyeol confirmed.

“Okay. Under my bedroom window.”

They kissed each other a quick goodbye. Baekhyun stood there, watching Chanyeol’s back become smaller and smaller as he walked away.

Baekhyun sighed. With a troubled mind, he walked up to his door. Before he even raised his hand to knock, Mrs Byun opened the door.

“Baekhyunnie! You are back! Come, come, Umma cooked your favourite today, bibimbap!” she said.

Baekhyun allowed her to pull him into the house, greeting Mr Byun on the way to his room.

“This,” Baekhyun thought to himself, “will be harder than I thought.”

 

Baekhyun sat huffing and panting in his room. It was Saturday, half past five and he had just finished cleaning his room. Even though he usually kept his room sparkling clean, whenever he searched for clothes, his clothes would end up scattered in his room. And Baekhyun being the perfectionist he was, would clean it up almost immediately.

Which leaves Baekhyun huffing and panting in his room. Thin he was, yet his stamina was never good. Baekhyun looked at his wall clock. He still had about three more hours to when Chanyeol would be meeting him. And yet he had not asked Mrs Byun if he would be allowed to go. He cringed at the thought of it. Baekhyun took a deep breath before making his way downstairs. Plan A in progress.

 

Mrs Byun was cooking dinner when Baekhyun approached her.

“Umma. Something smells nice.”

“Mhm,” she replied, not looking away from the vegetables she was chopping.

“Can I ask something?”

“Shoot.”

“Can I go to Heechul hyung’s house?”

Mrs Byun stopped chopping the vegetables, still not looking up.

“For what?”

“It’s his cat’s birthday.”

“May I ask when?” It came out as a hiss.

There was a slight pause as Baekhyun hesitated.

“…Today.”

“No.” Mrs Byun’s response was immediate.

“Umm-“

“I said no,” Mrs Byun continued chopping the vegetables.

“This is so unfair! I never get out of this house,” Baekhyun shrieked.

Mrs Byun slammed down the knife and turned to Baekhyun.

“Go ask your father then!”

“You know what he will say!”

“You knew what I would say!” Mrs Byun yelled, her voice louder than Baekhyuns’.

“This is a load of bullcrap,” Baekhyun hissed under his breath.

“Don’t you dare be rude!”

Deep breath. “I am going to be in my room now. Do not bother calling me down, for I will not be hungry,” Baekhyun said, his voice calm – the type of calmness used to aggravate someone.

Baekhyun smiled at Mrs Byun before turning away with an angry frown on his face. Plan A aborted. Plan B is a go.

 

Baekhyun stormed into his room and slammed his door. He took a pillow from his bed and screamed into it. He had wished that Mrs Byun would agree. Guess the wishing fairy was on holiday.

“It’s not as if I will die. I mean, what could possibly go wrong!?” Baekhyun ranted in his mind.

After most of his anger had flushed out, he sighed. Now he was going to have to sneak out. It did not have to come to this if Mrs Byun had allowed him to go. He growled. He should be getting ready now, for he usually took an hour or two to get ready. By then, Chanyeol would have arrived, hopefully discreetly.

 

‘내꺼 하자 내가 널 사랑해 어-‘ Baekhyun’s ringtone started ringing. It was exactly eight, and Baekhyun was already ready. He answered the phone.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Under your bedroom window.”

Baekhyun nodded and hung up. He opened his room door and shouted down the staircase.

“I’m going to sleep, so do not bother coming up. Good night!”

And slammed the door again. He made sure to lock the door and turn off the lights, so as to not be suspicious. He took his phone before sliding the window open. Below, was Chanyeol, looking up at him and grinning widely. Baekhyun grinned back.

The latter stepped out, letting his legs dangle over the ledge and jumped out, landing with a thump and an oomph. His bedroom was on the second floor of his house, after all. He wobbled around unsteadily for a moment, Chanyeol’s arms sliding around Baekhyun’s waist to steady him. Baekhyun smiled goofily at the giant.

“Come on, let’s go,” Chanyeol said softly, transferring his hands to his side and Baekhyun’s hand.

Their fingers intertwined with each other’s. Baekhyun nodded.

“You’re looking striking today,” Chanyeol complimented Baekhyun as they started walking.

 Baekhyun blushed. He was wearing a checkered shirt with a white wife’s beater underneath it, skinny jeans and a pair of Vans. A hint of eyeliner had too been applied to bolden his eyes.

“Thanks.” Baekhyun replied.

He could not help but feel nervous about going to the party. He did not know most of the people going, for he did not mix around with such people. It was mostly Chanyeol who would know them.

“Earth to Baekhyun? Baekhyun-ah. Baekkie~” Chanyeol whined when he realized that Baekhyun was not paying attention to him.

“Hm, what?”

Chanyeol pouted and shook his head.

“We have, obviously, reached the bike,” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened. Although it was meant to be, well, obvious, he did not realize. He took the helmet that Chanyeol was holding out to him, wore it, and mounted the bike after Chanyeol. The latter rode off, Baekhyun hugging his waist.

 

The bike slowed down to a halt. Baekhyun let go of Chanyeol and slid down from the bike. The giant followed suit and both of them stood there, looking at Heechul’s house form 10 metres away.

The streets were lined with posh cars, supposedly the rides of the people at the party. The house, which happened to be a huge bungalow, was blazing with lights, some a bright green, some a dark purple, and others a mixture of neon colours. People were streaming in and out of Heechul’s two storey house. There were six whole table of drinks, none of them seemingly alcohol. It looked as if Heechul was expecting lots of people, even though there was already a large crowd.

He was chatting to two guys from the junior year, but upon seeing them, he waved them over.

“Yah, it took you guys long enough. Come on in, no need to be shy,” Heechul said.

“Oh, I almost forgot,” Heechul continued as he turned to look at the majority of people, “GUYS, THIS IS THE TWO LOVEBIRDS, BAEKHYUN AND CHANYEOL,” he hollered to them.

All the heads turned and the attention was followed by a series of whooping and cheering. Chanyeol smiled at them, his arm circling around Baekhyun’s waist protectively. The latter looked down at his feet, which suddenly became interesting. When he looked back up, Heechul was smiling warmly at them.

“Go on and make yourself at home.”

Heechul turned away, welcoming some other people. He did not holler their names out as he did with Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

“Are you thirsty? Do you want some water?” Chanyeol asked, Baekhyun shaking his head in reply.

Chanyeol sighed. “I’ll go get the drinks.”

Chanyeol left Baekhyun alone, heading to the water stand and joining the queue for water. Baekhyun looked around. There really was no one familiar. Awkwardly, Baekhyun made his way into the house.

The spacious hall was dimly lighted, packed with bodies swaying drunkenly along to the music that vibrated along the walls. There were two long tables that probably had at least 400 cans of soju on it. Baekhyun wrinkled his nose in disgust. He absolutely hated alcohol.

A sudden tap on his shoulder jolted him. “May I offer you a drink?”

Baekhyun whirled around, expecting to see Chanyeol, instead finding someone else.

“Kim Jongin?”

Jongin chuckled. He had never actually had a proper conversation with Baekhyun but, as many other guys in the school, he had an eye for him. Yes, Kim Jongin was also one of the iest guys in school. Yes, Kim Jongin knew he could get anyone he wanted. No, Kim Jongin did not want them. He wanted Baekhyun.

“Thank you for the offer, Jongin, but Chanyeol is getting me the drink.”

“Oh. That sure is… nice of him,” Jongin faked a smile.

Inwardly, he was cursing. The only reason he could not actually get his hands on Baekhyun was because Chanyeol got there first. It could have been Jongin, if only he knew Baekhyun before Chanyeol.

“Baekhyun? Thank God, I have been searching for you. Here is the… Jongin? What are you doing here?”

Think of the devil. Chanyeol went to stand at Baekhyun’s side, glaring at Jongin. Baekhyun, however, was completely oblivious to the sudden tension.

“Oh, he was just offering me a drink,” Baekhyun grinned.

“Well, he should find someone else to give the drink to, since I have already gotten one for you,” Chanyeol smiled sweetly, handing Baekhyun one of the cups he was holding.

Jongin smiled back at Chanyeol in the same manner. Then, he turned around and swiftly walked away.

Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun. The latter was staring at him with a mixture of a surprised and angry expression on his face.

“Why did you do that?” Baekhyun asked.

Chanyeol blinked in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“You just sent him away. I was talking to him.”

“I- I did not think –”

“Well, then, think!” Baekhyun’s face was red when he stomped off in the direction of Jongin.

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun’s retreating back, still confused. Baekhyun was angry that Chanyeol had sent Jongin away? Should he not be pleased?

“Chanyeolllliee! Have a drink~!” The said boy whipped around to find a drunk Kyungsoo offering him a can of soju.

 Chanyeol hesitated, remembering that Baekhyun hated alcohol. Then he smirked and took the can of soju.

 

“Jongin! I’m so s-sorry for just now…” Baekhyun stuttered.

He had found Jongin in the backyard of Heechul’s house. It was empty, if not for a certain Zitao and Yifan – his history classmates – making out aggressively behind some bushes.

Jongin turned to Baekhyun sharply.

“Oh, it’s you.”

Baekhyun chuckled nervously. “Were you expecting someone else?”

Jongin turned away. “No.” Jongin suddenly slumped onto the ground. Baekhyun jolted backwards, initially surprised. Then he went to sit beside him.

“Are you feeling quite alright?” Baekhyun asked softly.

“I am kind of feeling dizzy,” Jongin frowned.

“Come lie on my lap.”

“I can survive.”

“Don’t be silly, Jongin.”

“Just call me Kai.”

Jongin.

Kai looked over at Baekhyun, whose voice was stern. He nodded reluctantly. Jongin laid on the ground and shifted so that his head was on Baekhyun’s lap. He sighed, seemingly contented.

“Better?”

Jongin nodded. He felt Baekhyun start to his hair gently. He closed his eyes. It felt really nice, having someone treat him like a little child about to sleep. He was just about to drift off...

“Is it not funny, how we have never spoken to each other, after two years, until today?” Baekhyun broke the silence.

“Totally. Well, we have never really had the need to talk to each other,” Jongin agreed.

“Or had something in common.”

“…What if we do? Quick, what are your hobbies?”

“I... read fanfiction.”

Jongin’s eyes shot open. “What type?”

“Drarry slash? Simon and Baz slash?”

Jongin made a wheezing sound. “No freaking way. Me too!”

Baekhyun laughed out loud. “What?! The hot Kim Jongin reading slash? Are you secretly a nerd?”

“I could be!” Jongin laughed along.

 

Three hours had passed, and Kai was still lying on Baekhyun’s lap. They were exchanging phone numbers. Baekhyun yawned.

“Are you sleepy? Do you want me to send you home? ”Jongin asked.

Baekhyun rubbed his eyes. “I’m alright, Kai. I’ll find Chanyeol.”

Jongin looked at Baekhyun, who was currently staring at the sky. They were glazy, and he had a tiny smile on his face. There simply was no doubt that he was thinking of Chanyeol. Kai looked away. Baekhyun was just so in love with Chanyeol. They were madly in love, it seemed mean to interfere. Kai sighed.

“Baekhyun…”

The glazy look in his eyes disappeared. “Yeah?”

“You are close with Kyungsoo, right?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Does he like anyone?”

“Um, yeah. I think Kyungsoo called him Kkamjong or something.”

Jongin’s heart skipped a beat. “Okay, thank you.”

 

Baekhyun looked around, back in Heechul’s house. It was not difficult to find his giant, for he was taller than the swaying bodies in the hall. Baekhyun headed towards him.

“Chanyeol!” He hugged the said person.

“Yeoboooo! ~” Chanyeol slurred, some of the water in the cup he was holding spilling out.

Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol’s face, frowning.

“Chanyeol? What are you- Are you drunk?!”

The latter smirked and attempted to kiss Baekhyun. Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol away, hard, before slapping his arm repeatedly.

“Park Chanyeol, are you listening to me? I want to go home now.”

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun, his eyes glazed. Baekhyun sighed angrily.

“I want to go home now. If you do not take me home now, I am going to Kai’s house for the night!

The name ‘Kai’ seemed to have an effect on Chanyeol. His eyes became slightly normal.

“Oh. Sorry, yeobo.” Chanyeol’s apology had his normal tone, only the slight slurring of a recently drunk person.

Baekhyun glared at Chanyeol, before grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the exit. They only stopped to thank Heechul for the party. They walked to the motorbike in silence.

“Are you sure you can ride?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yes, I can. Just slightly tired. And sleepy. I can handle it.”

Chanyeol mounted the bike, followed by Baekhyun.

Honestly? Baekhyun was worried. He wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s waist, as per usual, only this time, he could sense the tiredness oozing out of the giant. It was the way Chanyeol’s muscles were tense one second and the next not. It was the way Chanyeol’s heartbeat kept slowing down, as the heartbeat of a person wanting to fall asleep.

“Please don’t fall asleep, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun whispered.

He shut his eyes tightly. Chanyeol started the engine and rode off.

Baekhyun could feel the motorbike accelerating. If it was not for his house being 10 miles away, he would have went home by himself. Of course, he could have hired a cab. But the fact that he did not bring his wallet prevented him from doing so. Hitching a ride from someone else was not an option either. They were probably worse off than Chanyeol. The only option, at this point of time, was to trust Chanyeol.

‘Calm yourself down, Byun Baekhyun.’

He felt the motorbike increase in speed.

‘Just keep breathing.’

The motorbike started to swerve.

‘It is all go-‘

/HORN/

 

 

 

 

“It won’t be dangerous, and nothing will happen. Even if anything does, you can put the blame on me. But nothing will happen, trust me. You can trust me, right?”

 

 

 

 

At 3am in a Saturday morning, one would be tucked at home, sleeping. Or perhaps at a bar, partying to celebrate the arrival of the weekend. Both situations would emit the feeling of contentment, the feeling of knowing you are safe.

But it was not the case for Baekhyun. He was lying, in the middle of the road, semi-conscious, where he had landed after being flung off the motorbike shortly after colliding head on with a lorry. There, he heard the sound of someone running out of the lorry, panic in their voices. He felt blood slowly oozing out of his head. Baekhyun could not hold himself conscious any longer, and found himself drifting off, like what it felt to be drifting into sleep, an endless sleep.

 

Baekhyun woke up with a sudden jolt. He sat up. It was completely dark, and he could not see anything. The beeping of a monitor, the unfamiliar hardness of the bed and the overpowering smell of bleach told him he was not in his room, but likely to be in a hospital ward.

However, Baekhyun found it odd, how everything was so dark. No matter how many times he attempted to close and open his eyes, everything was still dark. Where was the light from the toilet, the one that was always glowing? Where was the outline of his hand that was stretched out directly in front of his face?

This was not normal. This was definitely not normal. This was anything but normal. Baekhyun started to breathe heavily.

“Oh my God.” He whispered.

“Oh my God, oh my God, I cannot see, I cannot see.” His voice started to rise.

“Someone, HE-“ Baekhyun’s voice had risen to a shout, before a rather cold hand clamped over his mouth.

“Hush, yeobo.” Said a voice that was all too familiar to Baekhyun.

“Chanyeol?” He felt pressure at the end of the bed as Chanyeol sat down.

“It’s me.”

“Oh God, Chanyeol. You have got to help me. I cannot see, it is as if I am blind.” At the word ‘blind’, a sob came from Chanyeol.

“Babe, what is it?”

A cold drip of water fell onto Baekhyun’s cheek.

“Chanyeol, are you crying?”

More drips of cold water.

“Yeollie! Tell me, what is it?” Baekhyun shouted.

“I am sorry, I am so sorry, Baek. It was all my fault. If I did not get drunk, or if we had just taken a cab back, we would not be here, and you would not be like this.” Chanyeol said in between sniffles, his cold hand reaching out to softly caress Baekhyun’s face.

Baekhyun grabbed the hand at his face. “What do you mean, like this? Chanyeol, tell me what is wrong. Why. Can. I. Not. See?”

“I am so sorry Baekhyun. I love you, I love you. Forever and always. Don’t forget me, okay? I love you.” Chanyeol’s lips brushed against Baekhyun’s lips.

The latter flinched. Chanyeol’s lips were too cold to be normal. The hand Baekhyun was holding pulled away.

“What do you mean? Where are you going Chanyeol? Answer me!” Baekhyun had his arms stretched out, trying to find Chanyeol.

“Where are you, Chanyeol? Chanyeol, answer me! DON’T LEAVE ME!” Baekhyun screamed, tears falling from his eyes.

“Don’t leave me.” He whispered.

“Baekhyun? Baekhyun, it’s okay, everything is going to be okay.” A pair of warm hands enveloped him into a hug.

“Umma? Umma, why can I not see? Umma, where is Chanyeol?” Baekhyun clung onto Mrs Byun’s arms, sobbing.

“The accident… I’m sorry darling.”

“STOP IT! STOP SAYING THAT YOU ARE SORRY! JUST TELL ME THE TRUTH ALREADY!” Baekhyun screamed once again, pushing his mother away.

You’ve gone blind and Chanyeol’s dead.” Mrs Byun whispered.

It took Baekhyun a few seconds.

Chanyeol’s dead?’

“No. No. It’s not possible. NO! It cannot be!” Baekhyun shook his head.

The latter sensed Mrs Byun about to hug him. He pushed her away again.

“NO! GET AWAY FROM ME! CHANYEOL! STOP HIDING, STOP LYING! JUST COME ALREADY, IT’S NOT FUNNY!” Baekhyun yelled.

Mrs Byun attempted to hug Baekhyun again. This time, he hugged her back, tight. He was sobbing horribly.

“I saw him… I touched him… I swear I did.”

Which was when he felt a needle jab into his left arm. He could feel some kind of liquid flowing into his bloodstream.

“Park Chanyeol,” he said as he felt himself get drowsy, “I will always love you.”