Triple Threat (Part 1)

Pass, Set, Hit!

“Did you hear about the two 2nd years transferring in?!”

“Hmm~ I wonder if they’re cute.”

“Why does it matter to you? You’re a 3rd year, you cougar.”

“YAH!”

A cackle rang out from the insulter, who began to run down the hall to avoid the hit from the insulted.

“Oh, MiHyunie! Are you girls available to practice with us today after yours?” asked a 3rd year with perfectly styled black hair.

“Mmm, pretty sure we are, but I’ll check with HyeJu and Kira to make sure. We can try to round up some of the other girls too, but I think most of them have plans already afterwards,” MiHyun answered as she watched her other two friends chase each other down the hallway. “Kira is always up for playing volleyball though, and HyeJu isn’t working tonight. So we should be good.”

“Great! Oh, I heard the 2nd years have two new transfers at the same time. Heard anything about them yet?” he wondered out of curiosity.

“Nope, not as of yet. You seem abnormally interested, HimChan-oppa~?” MiHyun teased.

“Alright, you caught me. I heard they both play volleyball…so I just wanted to know if the rumors were true,” he pouted as MiHyun laughed.

“Haven’t met either of them yet, but I’ll let you know how they are. You better get going before the bell rings~”

“Aish, I’ll see you later, MiHyunie!”

“Neh~!”

With a scoff, Kira came back, holding her shoulder while grumbling.

“She got you?”

“Shut up, MiHyun.”

As the two of them walked in, they blinked in confusion as someone was sitting in MiHyun’s seat. With a glare, Kira stalked forward and kicked the leg of the desk.

“Hey, you’re in her seat.”

“Kira, you don’t have to be so mean. I’m sorry…you must be one of the new transfers. My name is MiHyun. And this is my friend, Kira,” MiHyun greeted.

“Sorry. I was just sitting here until the teacher gets here so she could assign me a seat. There was no need to kick my desk, you barbarian,” he spoke while side-eying Kira.

“What did you say, child?” she growled.

“Child?!”

“Sorry, your face is so round and squishy. I thought you were a middle schooler~”she taunted with a smile as she tilted her head ever so slightly so she was looking down at him. The boy stood up and towered over Kira, challenging her with a glower. Kira didn’t even flinch.

“Do I still look like a middle schooler to you?”

Her smile merely widened as she patted his head. “Aww, did I hurt your feelings? I’m SO sorry, baby boy~”

“You little-”

“YoungJae!”

The shout from the back of the room interrupted their heated battle. A brightly smiling boy came charging over nearly knocking down the once stoic-looking transfer.

“Y-Yah, you country bumpkin! Don’t jump me like that so suddenly!” cried the one known as YoungJae as he tried to pry the dark-skinned boy’s hands off of him. “Jung DaeHyun!”

“We’re in the same class! How cool is that?!” laughed DaeHyun as YoungJae finally managed to unhinge his friend from his neck.

“You’re so irritating already,” YoungJae grumbled.

“YoungJae~!”

Kira rolled her eyes at their interaction and turned to MiHyun, who was staring at DaeHyun in shock. With a hum, Kira nudged MiHyun lightly in the side.

“Why are you staring?” Kira prodded.

“Oh…sorry…he looks…familiar,” MiHyun pondered by herself as she tapped her chin, trying to remember.

“I’m gonna go sit down. I don’t want to be in this bastard’s presence any longer,” scoffed Kira with a roll of her eyes as she left MiHyun to sit in her own seat. MiHyun waved to Kira, shooting one last glance at the two boys getting chummy with each other before taking her seat, waiting for the teacher to come in.

 

~

 

Shoes squeaked as voices echoed through the gym. Every now and then a loud yell of “Mine!” could be heard. Balls bounced on the side as those not on the court were peppering with each other. The 7 girls entered the gym, sweat already on their foreheads from their own practice.

“Heeeeeh~ they sure are practicing hard.”

“I thought we were playing a practice game with them now.”

“Nope, just king of the court. We can do practice games once they know their regulars.”

“Hmm~ not too shabby, huh?”

“Ooooh~ that guy is cute~! Is he one of the new guys~?”

“SunHwa-unnie, please stop hitting on all the guys right when you see them. It’s embarrassing to watch.”

“Ahahaha, Kira got you there, SunHwa~!”

“You’re all so annoying!”

HimChan turned to the door when he saw people out of the corner of his eye.

“Oh! You girls are here already? Hold on,” HimChan smiled as he turned to yell across the court. “YONGGUK! GIRLS ARE HERE!”

With a nod from their captain, he called the boys to gather the scattered balls and bring them into the cart. YongGuk patted Kira on the head. She grinned up at him while HyeJu stood on the other side of him.

“Everyone, please greet the regulars of the girls’ volleyball team!” YongGuk instructed. Immediately, all the boys bowed as the girls bowed back. “This is their captain, Choi HyeJu, and vice-captains, Jang Kira and Han MiHyun.”

Gossip about the three girls started flying back and forth in the crowd of boys, mostly the 2nd and 3rd years telling the 1st year who the girls were. The three girls had been childhood friends with Bang YongGuk, the captain of the boys’ team, and Kim HimChan, the vice-captain of the boys’ team. They were known as the Triple Threat.

And the newcomers were about to find out why.

The other girls on the team were all 3rd years: Jun HyoSung, Jung HaNa, Song JiEun, and Han SunHwa. HaNa suddenly went up to the one of the 1st years on the boys’ team and hugged the tall, lanky boy, who seemed surprised by the attack. HyoSung and SunHwa were already gossiping on the side, pointing and giggling at some of the boys they found cute. JiEun went over to YongGuk and tapped his shoulder. The normally calm and stoic leader (as far as the 1st years were concerned) immediately became flustered and greeted JiEun with an awkward bow, causing her to laugh. As the Triple Threat kept their conversations to themselves, a yell from behind them brought their attention away from each other.

Kira’s eyes widened for a moment before she glared forward.

“I should have known the Child would be playing volleyball,” she scoffed in annoyance.

“A shorty like you is vice-captain of the girls’ team? I’m surprised people don’t mistake you for a 1st year,” YoungJae shot back with a smirk.

“I’m gonna pound the ball into your face and knock some teeth out. Then you’ll get a taste of what this shorty can do,” she growled back.

“Unless, of course, we’re on the same team. It is king of the court, after all~” he smiled widely when Kira began rolling up her sleeves.

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure we’re not on the same team.”

“Rules are simple! 3 vs. 3! Winners stay on the other side of the net. Serve coming from the right. There will be a 5 second countdown when switching out the winners for the losers on the other side! For now, we’ll just do a bit of warm ups,” YongGuk explained as he stood on the winner’s side. “I need two more people over here for now!”

YoungJae ran over to the other side, followed by DaeHyun. The two of them exchanged glances before grinning. They organized themselves so YoungJae was on the right side, YongGuk was in the middle, and DaeHyun was on the left side.

 

“Let the games begin!”

 

=====================================================================

 

Snores.

 

~Kira :3