Outcast

Outcast - Biting Feelings Side Story

It was in a small village near Hungary's frontiers, not so far from the Germans, in the fifteenth century, that Kim Heechul grew up. It might seem unusual to have a little asian baby grow up in an catholic village so far from his home country, but his family was the reason.

 

His father had been a good man. He was a scholar, lucky enough to know how to write and read inside the Ming Dynasty. Sadly for him, some troubles with money and the authorities forced him to flee his home town, somewhere inside the region that would now be called South Korea, to travel through his country and flee through enemies' territory, Mongolia. With lots of luck and craftiness, he was able to reach Hungary and get himself a job in a small farm as a simple employee. He learned the regional language and teach it to his wife and child, which had been born in the three years it took to reach they destination.

 

He past away two years after, when Heechul just reached five, due to illness. His wife was then force to make her child live with what she could earn, and eventually, caught in debts, she was sold as a mere slave in a rich mansion a few villages away. Since Heechul's mother wasn't as good as her child with the language of this country, no one could really get why she was alone with her child, without a man to protect her and take care of her. She was also refusing any kind of marriage proposition, staying a widow until it was her turn to die from regional illness, when Heechul reached his twenties.

 

Even if Heechul could fluently talk him mother's language and the one he learned in this village, and also be able to read and write, his luck stopped there. He was still a slave, badly treated by the highly superstitious villagers. It wasn't rare for him to have rocks thrown at him, or being mocked for his feminine looks. It wasn't his fault, his ethnicity wasn't helping his case.

 

It was only a matter of time before they would get rid of him.

 

Heechul was now twenty-four. His master's son, a man of about his age, opened brutally the door of the frail man's small room. A bit shocked, Heechul got up of his bed and bow, silently cursing this horrible person from waking him up in the middle of the night, the only moment he was free from other's bad treatments. His master grabbed his arm and pulled him outside, making him follow until he pushed him towards a crowd of mad people.

 

It seemed like someone died from a strange death the same night and Heechul was accused of being responsible. Why? Because he was different. Difference was something scary, highly feared.

 

Without gaining the right to face a court of law, Heechul was dragged harshly to the center of the town where he would be executed. Swearing inside, Heechul didn't have the chance to say anything for his defense, or even ask what he did. Nobody would believe him anyway, and he was only a slave, someone less than an human being. He was pretty much doomed to his faith.

 

Tied up, two men forced him on his knees and made him lay his head on a tree stump. Heechul closed his eyes, praying to whoever would kindly listen to him to be spared. He hadn't done anything wrong, it was so unfair. Even if he was all alone in this world, he didn't want to die, not yet. He could feel the sharp blade of the axe pressing lightly against his neck, his killer probably making sure he would hit the right place before lifting his weapon. The priest was chanting his prayers, wishing for Heechul's soul to be forgiven for his sins.

 

It was a dark night, a light rain falling down on the villagers, most of the men holding to torches. They were screaming, yelling to the executioner to do it. To kill that monster.

 

Heechul suddenly moved on the side, avoiding to have his head chopped off. One of the men grabbed him, pinning him to the ground while the feminine looking man was fighting for his life. The axe went through his right side, making him scream from the pain. He was loosing a lot of blood, yes, but he was still much alive. The big difference, other than he was injured, was that now, he could see the hooded man lift his axe again and make it fall towards him again.

 

Heechul closed his eyes, softly praying to be spared.

 

The axe never hit him. When he opened his eyes, someone had appeared, making the crowd unhappy and even more violent. The stranger was holding to the axe with one hand, almost as if he was holding up a tea cup, stopping it from killing the poor innocent man. The stranger pushed the executioner, and with a light touch, made him fly somewhere. He threw the axe on the side and pushed the man holding down the bleeding Heechul with only two fingers. Scared, the feminine man tried to back away, but the stranger grabbed him and took him away.

 

The villagers were too scared to follow. Loosing too much blood, Heechul lost consciousness.

 

When he woke up, he brutally backed away, then moaned from the pain. He felt light headed, sick and many more unwanted nauseous feelings. His right side was incredibly painful. Seeing he would be able to go anywhere like this, he decided to find out what was going on. Touching his right side, he felt bandages, neatly done. He also had a blanket over him, made of wool. The bed was a straw pile, which was weirdly more comfortable than his last bed. Considering that the wall was made of uneven stones, without any sign of craftsmanship, he guess he was in some sort of cave. It was too dark to see, so it was probably still night time.

 

The last thing he remembered was being carried by this unknown man, in his arms, away from his execution. Remembering how he took care of three men without any difficulty, Heechul couldn't stop himself from being worried and scared for his life, even if this man probably was the one who took care of his injury.

 

-Don't worry. I won't hurt you.

 

Heechul jumped, then moaned again. The stranger lighted up a torch, his face now visible, as of a part of the cave. The man had soft features, almost ageless. He was probably from the same country as Heechul, considering he had slanted and dark eyes, black hair kept in a long and thin ponytail. He was wearing slack leather pants and a white, slightly opened shirt, showing off the bit of muscles he had. He smiled, happy to see he had been able to light the torch, then walked to a now visible homemade fireplace, lighting up even more the place. He walked around the place, lighting up other torches hanging on the walls. This place had someone actually living in it, considering how well made it was. It was rustic, though.

 

-Who are you, asked Heechul, careful not to piss off the other man.

 

Because hey, even if he looked like some kind of angel fallen from the heavens, he still beat up three strong man while being almost as thin as the wounded man.

 

The stranger smiled softly, walking towards his guest and sitting down next to the quickly made bed.

 

-I am no one. Just a simple traveler seeing someone being unfairly treated. How are you feeling?

 

Why was he so nice, asked Heechul to himself.

 

-Like , he simply answered.

 

It only made the stranger chuckle. Gently, he placed his hand on Heechul's forehead and forced him to lay back down. Now that he was nearer, it was easier to notice how pale he looked. Not pale, white. His pale skin was nothing ordinary for someone able to throw people...

 

No one can throw people like that...And his hands were incredibly cold.

 

The stranger frowned a bit.

 

-You seem to have a light fever, the stranger said. Rest some more, I'll be right back.

 

He stood up and walked away. The fire was warming the place a bit, making it comfy enough for Heechul to fall back asleep. He struggled to sleep for a while, waking up and falling back asleep again and again. Because he did have a fever, he was hot and cold at the same time. A few hours later, he finally woke up completely, feeling someone's hand under his neck, lifting up his head. There was that chuckle again.

 

-Finally awake? Come on, drink this.

 

The stranger poured water in his mouth, making him drink little by little.

 

-Good. The fever got worse, but I have something to make you feel better.

 

Heechul only groaned, feeling like someone was hammering his head. Did he got sick because of all the blood he lost? He opened his eyes, only to be welcomed by the soft light coming from all the torches and the soft smile of this man. Was he...

 

-Are you making tea, asked faintly Heechul.

-It is not as good as it could be, but it will help get rid of some of the pain and the illness. Plus, I guessed you might like something comforting.

-Why...

-Because I am not a bad person. Plus, what would be the point of saving you from death only to let you die here? You looked so willing to live.

-You are weird.

 

The stranger only laughed, his eyes almost closed.

 

-I know. Do you think you can sit up? I should look at your injury.

 

Heechul did his best, but still needed the help of the kind man to sit against the wall. The unknown man took off the bandages and shook his head, dragging a bucket of water near him and a clean piece of cloth. He cleaned the wound, making Heechul whine about the pain. Once that was done, he placed new bandages and sighed.

 

-Would you like a cup of tea, asked the stranger, already drinking from one cup.

-Please.

 

The stranger handed him one cup with a smile.

 

-So...started Heechul. Since I'm stuck here for a while, can I know your name?

-You can call me Hangeng. What is your name?

-Heechul.

 

After a few weeks. Heechul was able to walk a bit. He still was week, the illness strangely lingering. He was coughing a lot, had fever from time to time and was feeling nauseous almost constantly. It was hard to eat anything. Hangeng had to force him to eat something most of the time.

 

After the time spent together, the initial fear towards the man able to defeat his enemies so easily became only feelings of warmth and trust. It was impossible to hate him. Hangeng was so gentle and patient, keeping his calm at all time, even if Heechul was complaining and whining about the constant pain. Even when insulted, which was by accident, Hangeng didn't even looked bothered. He was still taking care of his patient, making sure he would be at least comfortable. He was sleeping the day and taking care of Heechul at night, going out to get some supplies from times to times.

 

That day, while Hangeng was sleeping, Heechul walked towards the exit. No, he didn't intend on leaving. He just wanted to be outside a little while. For some reason, as time went by, he was losing hope in healing up completely from this illness. It would be only ironic to die like his parents did when they left their home country to survive. The sun was setting, slowly, plunging the entrance of the cave in darkness. Holding on to the wall, Heechul helped himself and sat down, looking at the scenery with a little smile. This was why he wanted to live. Life could be so beautiful. He missed his mother's warmth. He was so thankful to Hangeng too, who would have thought that while leaving the worst physical suffering, he would be so at peace with himself.

 

-Heechul? Are you okay?

-Hmm. I just wanted to take some fresh air...It's beautiful, isn't it?

-Hm.

 

Hangeng sat next to him, looking up at the sky. The sun was almost gone.

 

-It's been a while...

-What, asked Heechul.

-Since I've seen the sun from so close.

-Uhn?

 

Hangeng smiled softly and shook his head.

 

-It's nothing important. How are you feeling today?

-Better, I guess.

-Good.

 

He sighed.

 

-I don't think I will be able to make you fully healed on my own, said Hangeng with a sad voice. You should have been in a much better state by now. I can't do much more than this.

-What do you suggest, then?

-If you were able to walk, I could have guide you to the nearest town and let you see a real doctor. Sadly, I don't think you would survive the trip, and I don't have any horse for you to mount.

-Are you saying I'm most likely to die?

 

The man lowered his head and stayed silent. He looked sad, only thinking about this possibility. Heechul sighed, grabbing the man he considered his friend by the neck.

 

-No need to be sad. I'm destined to die someday. It'll only be sooner. Isn't it our faith, as a human being?

 

Hangeng didn't say anything. Heechul stood up with difficulty, quickly helped by his friend. They stayed silent a few moments, looking at the sun disappearing.

 

-It doesn't mean that I'm going to let myself die, though. I'll fight till the end.

-And I will help you as much as I can.

 

Even with a lot of efforts, Heechul condition didn't get any better. It even started to get worse, making Hangeng lose his cool. It was the first time since he saved his injured friend that the stranger actually got unnerved by something. He looked worried, concerned, even annoyed by his own incompetence to save his friend.

 

Once evening, Hangeng found his friend sitting at the entrance of the cave, looking at the dusk coming. He looked so thin and weakened. The axe probably had never been cleaned from all the executions before and contaminated Heechul with something no one knew about. Well, at least Hangeng, since he had tried every medicinal recipe he knew. Heechul was laying against the stone wall, his eyes barely opened.

 

-Heechul...

-I...won't make it...will I?

-Heechul...

-I thought I was ready to die. I thought...What would I live for?

-Please don't talk like if it is the last time...

 

Hangeng sat next to his friend, looking at his pale face, almost as white as him. He knew, deep down, that it was probably the last night. He had made Heechul live for a little more than three months, which was already a lot more than they both first thought. Still, he didn't want this day to come, he had become really fond of Heechul, to say the least.

 

-Heechul...

-You are my only friend...You know that, right?

-Of course. You are the most precious person I know.

 

Heechul chuckled. He lied his head on his friend's shoulder, closing his eyes. He could feel something fall on the top of his head. Tears? It only made Heechul smile. Someone cared enough about him to cry. His mother didn't cry when she died, she only smiled and dried his own tears. He did the same to his friend, gathering the bit of strength he had left to do so.

 

-Thank you, he muttered before losing consciousness.

 

He woke up a few hours later, completely lost and confused. He felt...so great. The pain was gone, and it seemed like his fever did too. He touched his injury. Nothing. It was completely healed. Did he...how long did he sleep?

 

The light in the cave was dimmed, only the fireplace was still lighted up. Heechul sat up, feeling himself being filled with energy. He actually never felt this great in his entire life. He saw a shadowy figure, sitting at the oposite of the cave. It looked like someone sitting, knees bended and his head on it, holding on to his knees. Was it Hangeng? Before the feminine man could say anything, a faint voice resonated in the cave :

 

-I'm sorry...

-What are you talking about, Heechul asked. What happened?

-I...I couldn't let you die...I'm sorry...

-What?...

 

Now that he was thinking about it, he looked rather pale. As pale as Hangeng, actually.

 

-Hangeng...

-I'm...not human...I'm a monster...A selfish and helpless monster...I...I couldn't let you die...

-Hangeng...

-I am something that lurks in the dark and eat from human blood. I am every humans' nightmare, able to take their life like I please. I only can survive in the dark, avoiding the beautiful light of the sun. I can only feed off their blood, cursed to act like an animal until the sun bless me again of it's light. I am unknown, without a name. You should have feared me...I should be feared...I...I didn't want to put the curse on you, but I couldn't let you die. I'm sorry. I cared too much to see you die...

 

Hangeng's voice was faint. His guilt was audible. Whatever he did, Heechul couldn't hold it against him. How could he? He was alive. Okay, he needed a few details still. He stood up, surprisingly easily, and walked up to his friend who was still in a small ball.

 

-Hangeng.

-You can hate me...I cursed you. You are the same as me now...

-Hangeng, I don't care.

-Maybe now, but you will. You will miss the sun, the light, the beauty of the world. I banished you from it. You should hate me.

-Hangeng, you stupid idiot, are you going to shut up?

 

He stopped, lifting his head a bit. It seemed that whatever Hangeng did, it made Heechul see better in the dark, making him able to see all the guilt in his eyes.

 

-Listen. I don't even understand what you are all guilty about. Explain it, at least.

 

Sitting next to his friend, Heechul listened to him. He talked about what he was, which would be what Heechul now too. He explained that he was from a specie that had inhuman strength and lifetime. As long as they would not go under the sun directly, they would be fine, which was condemning them to a life of darkness. They also needed human blood as food, which was the more complicated part of the deal. They didn't need to feed everything, but they needed to quite often anyway. Humans could become this only if they were turned into one voluntarily, which was what Hangeng did.

 

-So...we're immortal?

-And immune to any human disease. Technically, we aren't completely alive.

-So then, how old are you?

 

Hangeng stayed silent for a moment.

 

-I don't know.

-What do you mean you don't know?

-The concept of time changed so many times. Years were counted differently, and still are in a few parts of the world. It's not the same everywhere. Plus, at my age, you don't really count the years anymore. I would say that this human, Jesus, people worship so much was born a long time after I lived under the sun for the last time. More than centuries. Maybe millenniums.

-So you are an old geezer...

 

Hangeng stared blankly at his friend before smiling, showing up his sharp teeth for the first time.

 

-You could say that.

-I'll never be as old as you, at least. I'll always know my exact age.

-It's a fact that I will always be older, but I wouldn't be so sure about you remembering your own age. It isn't that important anymore.

-I'll prove you wrong! I'll always remember my age! And I'll prove you something else.

-What?

 

Heechul stood up and smiled widely, become a bit more playful than he used to be. He pointed his friend with his finger, his smile becoming a smirk.

 

-I'll prove to you I will never hold a grudge against you. We'll be friend until the end of time.

 

Hangeng stood up, bowing slightly to his friend.

 

-I can't wait to see you prove me wrong.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------

That was easy considering it's been written for months...

 

I hope you enjoyed it~