Coffee Run

Coffee Run

“Okay, okay, I have my briefcase, I have my suit... What time is it? , I only have forty minutes!"

Hyukjae looks at the small glowing numbers on his phone, which he quickly pockets, trying to pull a few last things together. He looks up into the mirror one last time, fixing a few strands of his hair, and looks at his reflection.

“I’m missing something, what am I missing...” he mutters to himself, trying to picture all the necessities of a successful worker. “Coffee! That’s what it is! I’ll just drive through that one coffee shop near the office, I’ll still make it in time if I leave now.”

He carefully folds his suit jacket over his arm, not wanting to wrinkle it before he gets to the office. “Bye, Choco! Wish me luck!” Choco lifts her head lazily from her spot on the floor and yawns as Hyukjae locks the door behind him, rushing to his car. 

As he drives to the coffee shop, he tries to control the nervous excitement bubbling inside of him, grin plastered on his face. The coffee shop is small and the parking lot is almost overflowing due to the morning rush, but Hyukjae decides that a few minutes waiting for a coffee won’t make him late. He pulls up to the window and recites his favorite order, a simple black coffee, strong and bitter, handing the cashier his money. Checking the clock again, he sighs in anticipation, wanting to get to work soon. 

The line finally moves up and Hyukjae is greeted at the second window by a smiling man with neatly styled brown-blonde hair wearing a black apron. “Here you go! Have a nice day!” He beams, handing Hyukjae his coffee. 

“Thanks, you too,” Hyukjae smiles back at the man, and pulls out of the drive through, taking a small sip of his coffee. He barely gets out of the line when a sweet, sugary taste fills his mouth, making him cringe and cough. 

“What the hell is this?” Turning in his seat, he notices the line is still fairly long and he sighs, not wanting to wait in line for another coffee. The parking lot had emptied a bit while he was waiting, so he quickly parks and goes inside hoping to fix his order quickly. 

A weight is lifted from Hyukjae’s heart when he sees that line is only two people long, joining the lineup and looking around the cozy shop. It was fairly large for a coffee shop, with many round tables in the middle and small booths lining the windows. In one corner, a small table was lined with condiments and creams and toppings for coffee, with a cute napkin holder and bundles of straws.

The line moves quickly and Hyukjae is greeted by a skinny man with messy brown hair.

“What can I get you this morning?” He asks in a cheerful voice. 

"Oh, uh, I ordered a black coffee earlier and my order got messed up...” Hyukjae says, trying not to sound annoyed.

“It did? I’m sorry, mornings are pretty busy, I’ll get that to you right away. Sorry about the mix up.” 

“Do I have to pay again, or?” Hyukjae asks, really hoping he doesn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistake. 

“Oh, no! We’ll just fix your order. Sorry again!” He says, turning to get the order ready.

Hyukjae walks over to the trashcan, throwing away his disgustingly sweet drink, and sits down at one of the booths in the corner, observing the quiet buzz of the coffee shop. Many people dressed in professional clothes sat at the circular tables, sipping coffee out of rather large white mugs, a few of them typing rapidly on laptops. The air of coffee shops was always something Hyukjae had enjoyed. As he listens how the chatter of people drown out the quiet music the shop was playing, the same man with brown-blonde hair from the drive-thru makes his way over to Hyukjae, new coffee in hand. 

“Here’s your new coffee, I’m really sorry about-” the man starts, holding the cup out towards Hyukjae. He’s interrupted as the coffee slips from his hands and falls onto the table, lid coming off and spraying coffee everywhere, including onto Hyukjae.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean- It slipped, I-I’m so sorry, I’ll go get napkins, I’m so sorry,” the man says in a panicked voice, rushing away to get napkins. 

Hyukjae sits at the booth, eyes wide, shocked and desperately wanting to believe that coffee didn’t just drench his shirt on his first day of work. He bolts up from the booth and follows the man, yelling after him. 

“Hey, you! Who do you think you are? You messed up my first order and then as an apology you spill the second one all over me? I should complain to your manager! What’s your name?” Hyukjae said, trying to contain his anger and not attract the attention of other customers. 

“I-I’m sorry, please don’t complain to the manager, it’s my faul-”

“I asked you what your name was!” Hyukjae interrupted, forgetting all about his coffee and just wanting to punish the man who probably ruined his first day of work.

“It’s Donghae,” he says quietly, looking at him with an apologetic expression mixed with one of fear. Hyukjae sees the man’s expression and his anger hitches, twisting in his stomach, and he senses sincerity in Donghae’s apologies. 

He huffs. “Fine, Donghae. I won’t complain to your manager this time, but if I get another coffee that’s messed up, I won’t hesitate to tell him.”

Donghae’s face lights up a bit and then immediately he goes back to looking sorry. “Thank you, but should I get you another one? It’s free this time, I’ll make sure someone else gives it to you!”

“Forget the coffee, I’m probably going to be late to work, and on my first day, too. Keep the money or whatever and clean up all that coffee before someone else complains.” Hyukjae grabs a handful of napkins and returns to his car, trying to carefully dry his white shirt. 

“At least it wasn’t the suit jacket. I’ll just button it up over this,” he mutters to himself, shoving the dirty napkins in one of the cup holders and quickly turning out of the parking lot, hoping that he wouldn’t be late.

Hyukjae pulls into the parking lot of his office building a few minutes later, putting his suit jacket on over his stained shirt and walking quickly into the large building. Almost immediately he’s greeted by a tall brunette man who Hyukjae recognizes as his boss, Siwon.

“Hyukjae! You’re even early, that’s good!” Siwon smiles at him and gets up from where he was sitting in the lobby area.

“Surprisingly,” he mutters under his breath, recalling the incident from the coffee shop. 

“I’ll show you to your office then. Come this way,” Siwon gestures and begins walking towards an elevator placed in the back wall of the building. “Your floor is number 9. There are ten other people on your floor and you’ll be sharing an office with one of my best workers, Kangin. He can be a little snarky, so don’t take it personally.” Siwon explains to Hyukjae about the layout of the building and where everything is, also adding in some information about the workers and what their specialties are. He leads Hyukjae out of the elevator and down a hallway lined with doors, each with a different number plaque.

“Here’s your office.” Siwon pushes open a tall wooden door with the number plaque 32, revealing a carpeted room with two desks back-to-back near a large window. Two plush leather chairs sit facing each other in the corner to the left of the door, with a small black table standing in between them. At one of the desks sits a broad man with short brown hair, who looks up when Siwon and Hyukjae enter.

“Kangin, this is Hyukjae. He’s the one that’s going to be sharing your office.” Siwon gestures to Hyukjae as Kangin approaches them, looking Hyukjae over.

“You don’t take up too much space, do you? Because I like having my desk to myself. Don’t let your stuff overflow onto my side, alright?” Kangin says to Hyukjae in a way that’s hard to tell if he’s joking or not.

“Uh... I’ll try not to,” Hyukjae responds carefully.

“Ah, come on, I’m kidding. Don’t be so uptight. It might be your first day, but we’re going to be friends, not just co-workers.” Kangin smiles at him and pushes his shoulder, laughing at Hyukjae’s confused expression.

“Kangin will tell you all of things you need to get started on and what you’ll be doing around the office.” Siwon turns to Kangin. “Are you doing the coffee run today, Kangin?” he asks, also smiling at Hyukjae’s confusion.

“I would, but I did it yesterday. Maybe Hyukjae can do it for today. Get a taste of how we do things in the mornings. He can also meet everyone else on the floor.” Hyukjae’s eyes narrow slightly at the mention of coffee. He was so done with anything coffee related right now.

“That’s a great idea! You wouldn’t mind would you? This floor asked me a while ago if they could have coffee runs every morning. It’s a rotation, so you won’t have to do it again until it’s your turn.” Siwon explains to Hyukjae.

“Sure, do you have a list of orders or something?” Hyukjae says, trying to sound enthusiastic even though he’s dreading the trip inside.

“Yeah, I have one. You know that one coffee place pretty close to here? That’s where we always get it, so just go there. It’s a lot quicker than going somewhere else,” Kangin goes over to his desk and retrieves a slip of paper from one of the drawers, coming back and handing it to Hyukjae. “You know where it is right?”

Hyukjae suppresses a groan and nods instead, taking the paper and looking at the names and orders written down in a neat column.

“Alright, I’ll be going then. Good luck, Hyukjae! Come find me if you need anything, okay?” Siwon smiles to both of them, leaving the office and closing the door behind him.

“Well, are you leaving too or what? I’m not getting any younger here.” Kangin says, walking back to his stack of papers.

Hyukjae looks at him again. Did this guy not like him or something? “Uh, yeah, sorry I’ll go now.” 

Kangin looks up again with a grin. “You take things really seriously, huh? Too much seriousness isn’t good for your health, you know.”

“Oh. Right. I’ll keep that in mind then.” Hyukjae quickly leaves the room, feeling a bit stupid. His embarrassment pools in his stomach, twisting into dread as he remembers the incident this morning. He definitely did not want to go back there. Who screws up that many times? Hyukjae sighs in frustration and gets into the elevator, watching as the illuminated number goes from 9 to G1. He walks into the parking lot, list in hand, and gets back in his car, wanting to get the trip over with quickly.

“If that guy messes up again, I swear...” he mutters as he pulls onto the street. “, what if he messes it up and they blame me? With how today’s going I wouldn’t be surprised...” The coffee place pulls into view and he parks his car again, parking lot nearly empty. The morning rush had ended and mostly everyone was at work, so Hyukjae was glad he didn’t have to deal with lines. 

He walks inside and notices that the huge coffee puddle that was there before had been cleaned up and the shop was empty except for a woman eating a muffin and typing something on her computer at one of the booths. Hyukjae approaches the counter and takes out the list, waiting for someone to come over.

“Ryeowook, what if I get fired?” He hears a voice that comes from the back area behind the counter.

“It’s okay, hyung, you won’t get fired. It’s your first day and it was busy; everyone makes mistakes!” Another, higher voice says. 

“But I messed up three orders and spilled coffee all over this guy! What am I going to do, it’s just my first day too...”

“Hyung, it’s fine. Trust me! I remember on my first day I gave someone a black coffee instead of a caramel macchiato. They called in Leeteuk and tried to get me in trouble, but Leeteuk is really understanding. Everyone makes mistakes, hyung. You’ll be fine.”

“This is a really great, inspiring conversation and all, but I need to order some coffee. And not from that Donghae guy, please.” Hyukjae called, suppressing a grin when the two men come rushing towards the counter. 

“Sorry! We didn’t notice you come in. Oh! You’re from this morning! Did you get your replacement coffee?” The skinnier man with brown hair asks him. Hyukjae recognizes him as the cashier from this morning and reads the small name tag pinned to his apron - “Ryeowook.” The other man, who Hyukjae recognizes immediately, gets a panicked expression on his face and whispers to his co-worker.

“Oh. Um, what can I get you?” Ryeowook asks Hyukjae. Donghae quickly goes to the back area, disappearing behind a pair of doors.

“Everything on here, please.” Hyukjae hands him the slip of paper, adding in his own order, and hands Ryeowook the money.

“Okay, I’ll get this out for you right away.”

Hyukjae leans against the counter, not bothering to take a seat since there’s no line behind him. From the back he hears a panicked voice. 

“No, Leeteuk, what if he called the police? Am I going to be arrested? What if he charges for assault! I apologized, I swear! You can’t get charged for spilling coffee on someone, right? No, don’t go out there! Plea-” the voice is interrupted as a man with dirty blonde hair enters from the same pair of doors behind the counter and approaches Hyukjae.

“Hello! I’m Leeteuk, I’m the manager here and I heard you had some difficulties this morning with your order?” He asks, smiling happily. Donghae quickly comes up behind him and looks away sheepishly, avoiding Hyukjae’s eyes.

“It’s not a big deal. He already apologized.” Hyukjae says, even though he really did want to complain. What’s wrong with this guy? He thinks I’m going to arrest him? What a weird person, Hyukjae thinks to himself, watching as Donghae tries desperately to avoid eye contact.

“See, Donghae? It’s fine,” Leeteuk says, and Donghae nods quickly, looking up at Hyukjae for confirmation. “We’d like to apologize again for any inconveniences. Rush hours are difficult, especially for new employees.” 

“I’m sorry, again! I really didn’t mean it,” Donghae adds quickly, looking at Hyukjae with the same sincere expression from that morning. Hyukjae felt something twist in his stomach, but this time it wasn’t anger.

“It’s fine, really.” Leeteuk thanks Hyukjae for his understanding and leaves the counter, disappearing and leaving just Donghae and Hyukjae.

“Sorry for this morning, I guess I was just freaking out. It’s my first day of work today.” Hyukjae says to him without really thinking.

Donghae looks up, slightly shocked. “Me too! I mean it’s my first day, too. I mean me too, I’m sorry, but also me too it’s my first day. I mean- You don’t have to be sorry, it’s my fault.”

“I get it, calm down. How about this? We’re both sorry and we both messed up. Fair?”

Donghae nods quickly and smiles widely at Hyukjae. “Here are your coffees! Sorry for the wait,” Ryeowook appears with multiple trays of coffee and places them on the counter in front of Hyukjae.

“Thank you. Is it okay if I come back in for this one? I can’t carry them all,” Hyukjae says, picking up two of the trays and attempting to pick up the third.

“Oh! I’ll carry it for you, if you want!” Dongjae says enthusiastically, picking up the remaining tray of coffee. Hyukjae eyes Donghae skeptically, worried that the coffee would be spilled on the short trip to his car, but forgiveness is forgiveness.

“Okay, thanks.” He approached the door and tried to pull it open without spilling anything, to no avail.

“I’ll get it for you,” Donghae chirps, quickly opening the door for Hyukjae.

“Oh. Thanks,” he says. He watches Donghae out of the corner of his eye as they walk to his car. How can he be so happy after all of that? Hyukjae wonders, honestly still a little upset about the previous incident.

“Is this one your car?” Donghae asks suddenly, pointing at small black car.

“Yeah, thanks for carrying this for me,” Hyukjae says, placing one of the trays on the roof of his car as he opens the door. He fixes the coffees on the passenger seat in a position where they won’t spill while he drives. 

“You’re welcome! It’s the least I can do after this morning.” Donghae says, handing Hyukjae the tray he was holding.

"I already told you it’s fine, but thanks again.” Hyukjae says, securing the last tray in the passenger seat. He looks up from his car and stares at Donghae, who is holding the car door open. “So, uh. I’ll go now.”

Donghae nods, smiling at Hyukjae with an oblivious expression. “Could you maybe, move your hand so I could close the door?”

Donghae’s eyes widen and he quickly lets go of the door, looking around sheepishly as his face flushes. Hyukjae laughs. “Bye, Donghae. Good luck with the rest of your first day. Try to not to spill coffee on anyone.” 

Donghae’s cheeks redden visibly from Hyukjae’s words and he opens his mouth, stumbling over his words. “I-I apologized already! B-but thanks. Good luck to you too, um…”

“Hyukjae. I’m Hyukjae,” he says, still watching Donghae.

“Good luck, Hyukjae!” Donghae smiles and waves at him, turning and walking back to the shop. 

I could get used to these coffee runs, Hyukjae thinks to himself as he watches Donghae disappear back into the building.

 

“Hey, Kangin? Is it my turn to get the coffee today?” Hyukjae asks, putting his briefcase on his desk and taking out the documents he had been working on all week.

“Aish! You’ve been asking every day! How many times do I have to tell you, you’re 5th in the rotation, so yes, it is your turn today. Jeez, why are you always so excited about getting the coffee?”

Hyukjae has been working for a little more than four months now and he knows the coffee schedule perfectly, but that doesn’t stop him from asking about it almost every morning. Whenever he went, Donghae would be there, smiling widely and double-checking to make sure he hadn’t messed up any of Hyukjae’s orders.

“I don’t know, I just like going. Do I need a reason?” He says, retrieving the list of orders from his desk drawer. 

Kangin sighs and shakes his head. “I don’t understand you sometimes. Hurry up and get them then, if you’re so excited.”

Today’s coffee run was extra important, which was why Hyukjae had been asking about it all week. He had decided a while ago that he wanted Donghae’s number, telling himself it was because they were friends, and friends have each others numbers. In the back of his mind, though, he knew it was more because of the odd way his stomach twisted whenever he talked to Donghae. 

“Hey, Kangin, can I ask you something else?” Hyukjae asks, pausing in front of the door. Kangin shrugs, leaning back in his chair.

“How are you supposed to ask someone for their phone number?” A grin spreads across Kangin’s face.

“Oh, who’s the special lady?”

“Just… someone. Anyway, I need your advice.” Hyukjae says, rolling his eyes at Kangin’s smirk.

“Alright, you can do this two different ways. Option one is be really straightforward and say you want her number because you’re into her. Option two is be really vague about why you need it and say it’s in case something comes up.”

Hyukjae nods and thanks Kangin, leaving the office and going over the information in his head.

“I’ll be vague about it then. I can’t use the first option, that’s just weird.” Hyukjae mumbles to himself as he gets off the elevator and makes his way to his car. He pulls out of the parking lot and drives to the coffee shop he was so used to going to, trying to calm his nerves.

“All you have to do is ask for it, it’s not that big of a deal.” Each time he went to the coffee shop, he and Donghae would talk while Ryeowook got his coffee ready, and each time Donghae would help carry the coffee to Hyukjae’s car. They had become close friends through this and Donghae would always ask what was going on at work and personally; it was more than just ordering coffee every week.

Hyukjae pulls into the parking lot of the small building, leaving his car in the same place he usually parked. As soon as he walks inside he is greeted with the chatter of Donghae and Ryeowook, along with the hums of the coffee presses and the soft music playing overhead.

“Hyukjae! I’ll start your order, it’s still the same right?” Ryeowook says, getting up from his chair at one of the round tables.

“Yep, still the same. Thanks,” he says, walking to the counter. Donghae joins him, putting away the money into the cash register. After the usual “How has your week been?” and some other small talk, Hyukjae finally gathers the courage to ask for Donghae’s number. 

“Hey, Donghae, can I have your phone number?”

Donghae looks surprised at the sudden question, but returns to smiling. “Sure. Why?”

, Hyukjae thinks. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to explain myself.

“Just because we’re friends, right? Or if something happens.”

Donghae looks at him confused. “What would happen where you need my phone number?”

Damn it, Hyukjae. You couldn’t have just left it at friendship. “Oh, you know. Coffee emergencies. In case I can’t come one day to get the coffee.”

“Uh, Hyukjae?”

“Yeah?”

“You know we don’t deliver coffee, right?”

“You never know. It could be a true emergency, where we desperately need coffee. Then what?”

“Okay, whatever you say.” Donghae goes to the back where Ryeowook is getting the coffees ready, and Hyukjae sees him shuffling around with some of the cups. Donghae brings over two trays, with Ryeowook carrying the third.

“Here you go!” Donghae hands the trays to Hyukjae, and takes the last one from Ryeowook, walking towards the door. They get outside, and like always, Hyukjae secures the trays in the passenger seat.

“And before I go, it’s still okay to get your number right?” He asks, rubbing his neck.

"Yeah! I already wrote it on your cup.”

Oh, that cute bastard. Hyukjae thinks, thanking Donghae and getting into his car. They exchange goodbyes, and he pulls out into the street heading back to the office.

Wait a minute, what. Did I… Did I just think Donghae was cute? Hyukjae shakes his head a little. No, just focus on the fact that you got his number. Unless… does that make Donghae my crush? Maybe Kangin was right? Whatever, I got his number, so that’s all that matters.

Hyukjae distributes the coffees to his coworkers and returns to his office with the last two. Handing Kangin his coffee, he sits down and scans his cup for Donghae’s number, not finding it on the cup. Did he lie to me? Maybe he doesn’t like me. Crap.

“Hey, Hyukjae?” Kangin asks.

“Yeah?” he says, confused as he looks over his cup again.

“Someone wrote their number on my cup. Are you trying to hook me up, or did you give me the wrong coffee?” A small wave of relief washes over Hyukjae.

“Oh, that’s where it is. He must have written it on the wrong cup. Here can I see it?”

Kangin pauses. “He? You said you were getting some cute girl’s number.”

“I literally never said that. You just assumed it was a girl. Hand me the cup, please.”

Kangin shrugs and hands over his cup, letting Hyukjae enter the number into his phone. He goes over the numbers in his head, trying to commit them to memory.

“So are you into him? Is he cute? Wait, would it be cute? Or, like, hunky or something? I’ll just go with attractive.”

Hyukjae shoots his grinning coworker a glare. “Yes. He is attractive. Much more attractive than you.”

“Aw, Hyukjae, I’m hurt! I’m obviously the best looking in the office. Come on, he can’t be that attractive.”

“Shut up.” Hyukjae says, rolling his eyes and getting back to work. Kangin snickers and goes back to his work as well, occasionally teasing Hyukjae about his crush.

“No, but seriously. What does this guy look like? I want to know who my friend’s hooking up with.” Kangin asks during their lunch break.

“Will you give it a rest? I don’t have any pictures of him. I don’t go in there like ‘Hey, Donghae, I like your face, can I take a picture of you?’ “

“Oh, so his name’s Donghae?”

“Yeah. Do you see him when you get coffee?”

“Nah, there are different workers there when I go. It’s always some old woman and this big guy with a beard. Not boyfriend material, I think.”

“We’re not dating, you know that right? I just got his number today.”

“Not dating yet.” Kangin says, putting unnecessary emphasis on the “yet.”

 

A few weeks pass along with more teasing questions from Kangin, and it’s Hyukjae’s turn to get the coffee.

“You have to get a picture this time okay? I need to know who I’m dealing with so I can give you the right advice.”

“Yeah, okay, Kangin.”

“No, I’m serious! It’s necessary for you to advance in your relationship. You won’t get anywhere without my advice.”

Hyukjae rolls his eyes and leaves the office, heading down to his car. When he arrives at the coffee shop, he’s greeted by Ryeowook and Leeteuk.

“Good morning. Where’s Donghae?” He asks, as Ryeowook gets up to start making the order.

“He’s not here today. He said something came up.” Leeteuk says.

“Oh. That’s too bad. I hope he’s okay...” Hyukjae says, a bit worried. 

“He talks about you all the time, you know. He always tells us which days you’re coming in and how nice you are.”

This surprises him a bit. “Really?”

“Yeah! He won’t shut up about you!” Ryeowook says from the back. “Everyday it’s just ‘Hyukjae this, Hyukjae that, Hyukjae has a cute dog, Hyukjae has a cute face, do you think Hyukjae likes-’ ” Ryeowook stops talking. “Oops.”

Hyukjae stands at the counter shocked. “He said those things?”

“Well, I mean, I guess. It was just an example…” Ryeowook says, trying to turn away to put the coffees in their trays.

He thinks I have a cute face… Hyukjae thinks, feeling his stomach twist. A grin spreads over his face and he leans onto the counter, like an excited child in a candy store.

“What else did he say?”

“I won’t tell you. Ask him yourself. Just… Don’t tell him I told you, okay? He’s going to think I ruined his chances of a relationship.”

“A relationship?” Hyukjae asks, smiling wider.

Ryeowook slams his hand over his face. “Don’t tell him I told you that either. Just ask him yourself! I’m going to get myself into even more trouble…”

Leeteuk laughs and helps Hyukjae take the trays to his car, smiling at how excited Hyukjae looks.

Leeteuk goes back into the building, waving before closing the door. Hyukjae pulls his phone out of his pocket and selects Donghae’s contact, which he has saved first in his list.

‘you okay?’ He sends, placing the phone in his cupholder and pulling out of the parking lot. Halfway back to the office, a beep alerts Hyukjae of a new message. 

‘im sick :(‘

‘oh. do you want me to bring you anything?’ Hyukjae types back. He gets back to the office building, quickly giving out the coffees and returning to his own office.

“Kangin! I need your help with something.”

“See, you do need my advice! Did you get the pictures?” He asks, taking his coffee from Hyukjae.

“No, he wasn’t here today. He’s sick. I asked him if he needed anything.”

“Aw, you’re learning fast, Hyukjae. Take this as an opportunity to go into his apartment and steal his clothes.”

“That’s what I was thinking too, minus the stealing. Ryeowook told me that Donghae likes me.” Hyukjae says, trying to contain his excitement.

“Good for you! See your high school friends were wrong, you won’t die lonely. Has he said anything else?”

Another beep rings out from Hyukjae’s phone, signaling a new message.

‘if you want.. my apartment number is b6. you know where it is right? i think i told you before’

“You already know where he lives? Wow, Hyukjae, this relationship is moving along fast. By tonight, you’ll be making out and making plans to move in.”

“Will you shut up?” Hyukjae says, blushing and typing in a reply.

‘yeah ill be there later :)’ 

“Oh, you even used a smiley face. You must be really looking forward to this, huh?” Kangin says, returning to his desk. Another beep.

‘ok :)’ 

“If that’s a se.xt, I’m leaving and asking to change offices.”

“I wonder if you’d die from not being able to say anything snarky. Maybe we should try that one day.” Hyukjae says, putting his phone away, and sitting down at his desk.

“Nah, I’m good. Me and my snark are going to focus on working now.” 

Hyukjae looks down at his work as well, scanning over words, but not processing any of them. It takes him three times longer to finish his work, but by the time he does, the day is almost over.

“Tell me how it goes okay? And get those pictures or I’m coming with you on the next coffee run.” Kangin says, putting the rest of his papers into his desk.

“Okay, okay, I’ll try. Thanks, Kangin. You kind of , but you’re sometimes helpful.”

“Wow, you’re going to make me cry. Now go take care of your boyfriend.”

Hyukjae leaves the office and pulls out of the parking lot, wondering if he should bring anything. If he’s sick he’s probably cold, right? Maybe I should get him coffee? Hyukjae finds himself pulling into the parking lot of the coffee shop. Well if anyone knows what kind of coffee he likes, it’s probably Ryeowook.

“Hey, Ryeowook. I know you’re getting off, but do you know what kind of coffee Donghae likes?” He asks, approaching the counter of the coffee shop. A few people are in the shop, chatting with each other and sipping coffee at various tables.

“Yeah. Honestly, anything sweet he’ll like. You might be better off getting him hot chocolate. Usually he gets iced coffee, though.” Ryeowook says, coming over to the counter. “Do you want me to get it for you before I leave?”

“Yeah, please. Thanks.”

Ryeowook smiles and puts a cup into one of the many machines, pressing a button. Dark, steaming liquid flows from the nozzle into the cardboard cup. “So you like him, too?” He asks, returning to the counter to collect the money.

Hyukjae looks down, feeling his face flush. “I guess. I’m just surprised he likes me. I yelled at him the first time we met.”

“Yeah, but he spilled coffee on you. Plus that was a while ago. He doesn’t really hold grudges.” Ryeowook says, taking the cup from the machine and securing the lid. “Here you go. It’s hot chocolate. Hey, Hyukjae?”

“Yeah?” 

“Donghae’s my friend and we’ve known each other for a while. Treat him well, okay?”

Hyukjae smiles and takes the hot chocolate. “I will, don’t worry. Thanks, Ryeowook.” He leaves the shop and pulls out his phone.

'hey im on my way now. i got you a drink’ Hyukjae types. He pulls out of the parking lot and heads towards Donghae’s apartment. 

‘okay! see you soon’ Donghae’s response comes in almost immediately. By the time Hyukjae reaches the apartment complex, his stomach feels tight and his smile won’t go away. He parks his car and enters the building, jittery from excitement. He felt like he was back in middle school, the butterflies in his stomach and a gift for his crush. 

He debates taking the elevator, but instead quickly climbs the stairs to the second floor, trying to get the nervousness out of his system. A few doors down the hallway has a small gold plaque on in that reads B6. This one right? Hyukjae takes out his phone to double check the apartment number and knocks, hot cocoa in one hand.

The door slowly opens to reveal a very tired, but happy Donghae. His hair was messy and he was wrapped in a blanket, like a walking burrito. “Hi, Hyukjae! Sorry I look so gross.”

Hyukjae stands outside of the door, staring at Donghae and his messy hair. How can someone so sick be so cute? This is ridiculous. He’s trying to make me flustered on purpose right? 

They stare at each other a little bit longer, Donghae smiling despite his sick state, and Hyukjae wide-eyed and very flustered.

“Here. It’s hot chocolate. I thought you might want something warm.” Hyukjae sticks out the cup.

“Oh! Thank you. Here, you can come in if you want.” Donghae says, pulling the blanket tighter around him and shuffling into his apartment with the warm cocoa in his hands. Hyukjae follows him inside, closing the door behind him.

“I’ve been watching movies all day. Do you want to watch one, since you’re here?” Donghae crawls onto the couch and points to a stack of DVDs on the floor near the TV.

"Uh, sure. What do you want to watch?” Hyukjae says, standing near the couch awkwardly.

“Finding Nemo! Unless you don’t want to watch a kid’s movie...” He says setting his hot cocoa down on the coffee table.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll put it in.” Hyukjae sorts through the DVD cases until he finds one titled “Finding Nemo,” inserting the disc into the DVD player. He stands up and turns off the lights, then goes back to standing by the couch.

“Here, sit next to me. Or at least on the floor, since I’m sick. It’ll be uncomfortable if you stand, right?” Donghae says cheerfully, even though his voice is a little hoarse.

Hyukjae quietly moves towards the couch, sitting down next to Donghae. After a few minutes, Hyukjae’s gaze wanders away from the screen and onto Donghae. He was watching the movie intently, blanket wrapped around him, and sipping hot chocolate. Ugh, he’s so adorable. I’d rather watch him instead of the movie. He turns to look at Hyukjae.

“What is it?” he asks. Hyukjae quickly looks back to the TV, face flushed with embarrassment. 

“Nothing.” He says. After a few minutes, he can still feel Donghae looking at him, so he turns his head to look. Donghae is staring at him with a worried expression on his face.

“You’re acting weird. Is… Did Ryeowook mention anything today? When I wasn’t there?”

Hyukjae’s eyes widen and he opens his mouth. “Well… I- He did say some stuff.” 

“So is that why? Then you know about…” Donghae says, looking down at his cup. “Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable. I- You don’t have to stay.”

“No, it’s okay, I- it’s good.” Hyukjae says, trying to comfort Donghae without outright saying that he likes him.

“What do you mean it’s good? It’s not really good if you don’t feel the same way.” Donghae says quietly, picking at the lid of his cup.

“It’s good because I do feel the same way.” He says, matching Donghae’s volume. Hyukjae’s heart is racing and his face is burning, but he manages to keep his gaze fixed on Donghae.

“You… you do?” Donghae asks, looking back up with hope in his eyes.

Hyukjae nods. The truth is out in the open for both of them now. A smile breaks out on Donghae’s face and his eyes light up. “Really!?” He asks again.

Hyukjae laughs. “Yes, I do, I already said.”

“Then it is good!” Donghae bounces in his spot, a burrito of excitement. 

“You’re going to spill your hot cocoa! Sit still and watch the movie!” Hyukjae laughs.

Donghae scoots closer to Hyukjae and fixes his gaze back on the screen, smile still on his face. “So… does this mean we’re dating?” He asks.

“Uh… If you want to, then yeah.” Donghae nods vigorously, making Hyukjae smile.

“Then yes, we’re dating.”

Three quarters of the way through the movie, Hyukjae feels a weight on his shoulder. He looks over to find Donghae asleep. Grinning, he carefully pulls his phone out of his pocket and leans his head onto Donghae’s, cuddling into him.

‘here are your pictures, hyung. isnt he a cute boyfriend?’