o n e

one step forward; two steps back.

                   

Subway to Seoul University
May 2014. 

Chanyeol sat down in his regular seat on the subway with a briefcase in hand and a few minutes to spare until his first class of the day. The subway was quiet, as always. Chanyeol considered his life rather normal, with the same events occuring over and over again. As he played 2048 on his phone, he felt someone sit beside him. He looked up to see someone he had never talked to in his four years of university, Baekhyun. Actually, Chanyeol was pretty sure that most people rarely had more than a sentence long conversation with Baekhyun. So, for Baekhyun to be sitting next to him, smiling and waving, it was a pretty big shock to Chanyeol. 

"Hello," Baekhyun said, giving him a small grin. Chanyeol smiled back, although he was still slightly in shock. 

"Hello," Chanyeol replied, "Baekhyun, right?" Although Chanyeol and Baekhyun had never uttered a word to each other, Baekhyun was notorious at their university for rarely talking to people; he only talked to teachers, only when necessary, and people who approached him first, which usually ended up with Baekhyun walking away after the first five seconds of the conversation. 

"Yes. And you're Chanyeol?" Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol was surprised that the antisocial Baekhyun knew his name. 

"You're the one interning at the law firm, right?" Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol then understood. He and Baekhyun were both in the law / business management building, so when Chanyeol won the presitigious interning oppurtunity, word got around the campus quick. Chanyeol nodded. 

"I was wondering if you could do me a favor," Baekhyun said, "I know, that this might seem weird, but could you help me write my will?" Chanyeol blinked in confusion for a few seconds. 

"Your will?" He asked. Baekhyun nodded.

"I have a lot of property that I inherited from my deceased parents, so I think I need help figuring out how to write a proper one passing down all of the estate," Baekhyun explained.  

"Doesn't it seem a littler early to be planning your will, Baekhyun?" Chanyeol asked. Baekhyun just gave a small grin. 

"This is my address and phone number," Baekhyun said, handing him a piece of paper, "When does your last class end?" 

"1pm," Chanyeol said. 

"Great, then can you be by my house by 1:30pm?" Baekhyun asked, "It's right near the university, so it shouldn't take that long." Chanyeol nodded. 

"Thank you," Baekhyun said. They didn't talk for the remaining duration of the ride. 

                   

Seoul University
May 2014. 

"Are you sure it wasn't just your imagination?" Jongin asked as Chanyeol and his friends ate lunch.

"No, I'm serious. It was the strangest thing ever," Chanyeol explained, "He seemed actually normal."

"Maybe because he is human?" Joonmyun commented. 

"But still, Baekhyun never talks to anyone. It was quite alarming when he said hello to me first," Chanyeol said. 

"What did he even ask you about?" Kyungsoo asked. 

"If I could come over to his house and help him write a will," Chanyeol nonchalantly answered. 

"A will?" Joonmyun exclaimed as the others hushed him. 

"Why does a twenty two year old man need a will?" Jongin asked. 

"What if he has cancer?" Sehun gasped. 

"No way, he looks too fine for that," Jongin said. 

"You never know, cancer starts from the inside, not the outside," Kyungsoo inputted. 

"I don't think it's cancer if he said it normally," Joonmyun said, "What if he's contemplating suicide?" 

"What?" Sehun asked, "Suicide? Chanyeol hyung, is it really okay for you to be helping him write a will? If it's suicide, I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do encourage him."

"What?" Chanyeol said, flustered, "I'm not encouraging anyone to kill themselves. Why would I ever?"

"But, helping him write a will just makes it easier for him to leave," Jongin said.

"He has a point there," Kyungsoo said. 

"C'mon guys," Joonmyun said, mediating the conversation, "Chanyeol would never do that to someone."

"Chanyeol," he continued, "Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into." 

"Of course, hyung." Chanyeol said. 

                   

Baekhyun's Home
May 2014.

Chanyeol sat on one of Baekhyun's many couches as he sipped the tea Baekhyun had given him and gazed in awe at the huge home Baekhyun lived in. Baekhyun came back from his office with many files hurriedly stacked together, putting them on the table and taking a seat on one of the other chairs. 

"I hope you don't feel uncomfortable," Baekhyun said, "I know my home can feel kind of intimidating." 

"Home? This is more like a palace," Chanyeol said, still in awe. Baekhyun chuckled a little. 

"So, about that will?" Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol focused, realizing the main reason he was here. 

"Look, about that Baekhyun," Chanyeol said, "I know it's not my place to ask, but why exactly are you already writing your will? You're a healthy, young man, I presume. I see no reason to write it already, unless you already have death in mind?" 

"You mean suicide?" Baekhyun said blatantly. 

"Well, I mean," Chanyeol said, slightly taken aback. 

"Don't feel bad, or anything," Baekhyun said, "Because it's true. I have been contemplating suicide for twenty two years now. So, I thought might as well leave behind a will just in case my emotions overtake me." He sighed and got up, walking towards a shelf filled with picture frames. 

"I know it's not my place to ask, but why?" Chanyeol asked, shocked. Baekhyun sighed and stayed silent for what Chanyeol thought was an hour, until he finally spoke up.

"Because of the guilt," Baekhyun said. 

"Guilt?" Chanyeol said. 

"Yes, the guilt of killing everyone I become acquainted with."

                   

Pearl Kindergarten
September 1997. 

"Now class, everyone find a partner for the three-legged race!" Mrs. Kim, Baekhyun's kindergarten teacher announced. As Baekhyun looked around at his classmates, he felt someone tap his shoulder. He turned around to see his friend, Jaehee. 

"Hi Baekhyun," Jaehee shyly said, "Want to be partners?"

"Sure," Baekhyun responded with a huge smile. After everyone found their partners and positions, the race had started. Baekhyun and Jaehee were in a good standing when all of a sudden, the principal, Mrs. Choi, ran towards the field yelling Baekhyun's name. Surprised, Baekhyun stopped walking, breaking his & Jaehee's rhythm. Jaehee fell down, resulting in a huge gash on her calf. 

"Are you okay, Jaehee?" Baekhyun eyes widened with worry as he crouched down near her. The race had ultimately stopped as everyone crowded near them. The principal broke through the crowd with crazy eyes. 

"Baekhyun, are you okay?" She asked, hugging him tightly with tears in her eyes. Baekhyun stood there, very confused. 

"Yes, I'm fine," Baekhyun said, "Jaehee's the one who is hurt." Mrs. Choi started to cry at his words and turned to Mrs. Kim.

"Mrs. Kim, you can help Jaehee, right?" She said, "I need Baekhyun to come with me for a moment." Though confused, Mrs. Kim nodded and tried to get the whole situation under control. As Mrs. Choi took Baekhyun's hand and took him towards her office, he was still very confused. Once they reached their office, Mrs. Choi hugged Baekhyun yet again. 

"I'm sorry Mrs. Choi, but I'm confused," Baekhyun said, "Did I do something wrong?" Mrs. Choi kept tearing up. 

"No, no Baekhyun, you did nothing wrong," Mrs. Choi said, "It's your parents."

"Did my parents do something wrong?" He asked. Mrs. Choi shook her head. 

"No, no, Baekhyun, this may sound like a shock and you won't believe me, but you have to listen to me clearly, alright?" Mrs. Choi said. 

"Yes, of course," Baekhyun said. 

"Your parents passed away in a car accident today," Mrs. Choi said, crying as she hugged Baekhyun again. Baekhyun stood there in shock, unable to even shed tears. My parents... are dead? 

- - - - 

A week after the funeral, Baekhyun returned to school and was met with more mourning. 

Jaehee had hemophilia. No one had knew. 

She suffered major blood loss after the fall. 

She had died three hours after the incident. 

Many eyes turned to Baekhyun in suspicion. He turned mute, refusing to talk to anyone.

                   

Baekhyun's Aunt's home
October 1997. 

"I know it might be uncomfortable at first, but try to make yourself at home Baekhyun, okay?" His aunt, smiling down at him. Baekhyun reluctantly nodded.

This was all very hard for five year old Baekhyun to adjust to. He found a lot of support from relatives and friends, but he was still very much in shock. He rarely talked, no matter how much his aunt tried to get him to open up to her. 

One day, Baekhyun found himself too hungry to bear that he snuck into the kitchen at around 2am. There was not much to eat, but he found a slice of moldy bread that was still filling. As he sat in a corner and nibbled on the bread, all the lights suddenly .

"Baekhyun?" His aunt asked, "Is that you?" Baekhyun, mortified, froze in place. 

"Oh, Baekhyun," His aunt said as she realized he was eating a moldy bread. She immediately started to cook up the best late night snack, ramyun. After a few minutes, she served the steaming bowl on the kitchen table. She gestured to Baekhyun to come help himself. Although it took a few seconds, Baekhyun's hunger overtook his shy persona and he started to indulge himself. His aunt smiled and sat in the seat across from him. As she sat down, Baekhyun slowed down his eating, feeling a little self conscious again. 

"Eat up," She urged, which Baekhyun complied with, "Baekhyun, I know it's been really tough on you this month. You're a very strong child though. I'm glad you are able to keep fighting through this. But know that I'm still here for you. I don't want you to suffer and starve. I will never become your parents, and I know you wouldn't me to pretend that I'm your mom all of a sudden, but still I do care for you. So, don't shy away as much, okay?" 

"Okay." Baekhyun said, the first word he had uttered in nearly a month. His aunt beamed with happiness. And from then on, slowly, but surely, Baekhyun and his aunt grew to grow closer and closer over the few months. 

                   

Baekhyun's Aunt's home
December 1997.

"Auntie, look it's snowing!" Baekhyun exclaimed, pointing outside the window. 

"Look at that, it is!" His aunt said, "This can only mean one thing."

"What's that Auntie?" Baekhyun asked. 

"We need to go outside and enjoy," She said, smiling, which Baekhyun responded with joy to. After fully equipping themselves with gloves and jackets, they found themselves outside. 

"Look at this, Baek," His aunt said as she started to gather snow on the ground. Baekhyun peered at her curiously. After gathering enough snow, she molded into a snow, showing it to Baekhyun. 

"Wow," Baekhyun cooed, "It's so pretty." And right at moment, his aunt threw it at his face, laughing at the surprised, but adorable expression of Baekhyun. 

"And that's what's a snowball," She explained, "You throw it at people. It's a game called snowball fighting." 

"I want revenge!" Baekhyun exclaimed, gathering the snow in the same manner his aunt did, except his was much smaller, hence not much of an impact when he threw it. 

"Oh, is that all you can do Baekhyun?" His aunt playfully teased. Baekhyun, returning slowly to his old ambitious ways, started to make and more snowballs, as did his aunt. They engaged in a very serious, but fun snowball fight. 

While this whole "war" was happening, Baekhyun realized that he was feeling something, that he hadn't felt in a while. 

Joy. 

- - - -

"Aunt! I'm home," Baekhyun said as he walked through the front door and then stopped at the sight. His aunt lying face down. Paper bags on the ground with fresh groceries still inside. The rest of what happened was a blur to Baekhyun as he ran outside and screamed for help. One of the EMR men explained that what happened to his aunt was she suffered from a . 

At her funeral, none of his other relatives agreed to take him in. Baekhyun overheard whispers about how his parents, aunt, and friend died and that they couldn't take the risk of letting him into their home. Baekhyun was sent to an orphanage. Even there, his two roomates, who had tried to be nice to Baekhyun the first few weeks he joined them, passed away due to a car accident. It was clear to Baekhyun that everyone he became to close to, ultimately died. 

At school, many of his classmates were scared of him due to the wideknown speculations of his curse. Some even , calling him a "grim reaper." This was fine with Baekhyun. He was not interested in making friends. He was scarred at a young age and refused to hurt more people than he already has. 


a/n; 

how was it omfg. it took me so long to write this chapter but im still not satisfied : ( so this will obviously be written in flashback(?) mode, but convos between baekhyun & chanyeol will also be in this story, which is why i listed chanyeol as a main character as well. understand that not everything i write in flashback mode is being told to yeol, im just giving details kind of like a movie would. like when a scene is being played, but it would be summarized when told in narrator form. u feels me LOL im being really confusing because its late & im sleepy. ask me questions if youre wondering what the heck im saying AHHAAHHA. the oc hasn't showed up yet because i wanted to focus this whole chapter on baekhyun's backstory(: ask me any questions if confused! comments & subscriptions are always nice ( ; 

oh and just for reference. the four big highlighted boxes are mainly for time jumps/location jumps, but if the scenario is basically the same with maybe a few weeks-months difference i just use four dashes. it's mainly my preference tbh. just wanted to let you guys know : )