Final

Dragons, princes and queens in shiny armours

"I still think the blue ones would have been good" Jinri whispers to Sunyoung when they come out of the shop.

 

"Shut up, Jinri, I already chose the periwinkle coloured ones for you and you will all look lovely in them" Qian retorts.

 

Jinri looks at Sunyoung and smiles mischievously, making Sunyoung and the other girls laugh.

 

"I should get home, I need to go grocery shopping" Sunyoung tells them.

 

"I still don't know why you insisted so much in moving out, living with your parents is better, they cook for you and all" Soojung says.

 

"That's why you don't even know how to make a sandwich" Amber laughs.

 

"Whatever. I'll marry someone who cooks for me"

 

"Aren't you practical, little Soojung? might as well look for that person right now before it passes you by" Qian jokes.

 

"Do you want us to walk you to the bus stop?" Jinri asks her, sweetly.

 

"What are you, my boyfriends?" Sunyoung asks, amused.

 

"You wish!" Soojung tells her.

 

"I'll get going then, see you guys!"

 

"Be careful" Qian says.

 

"You too"

 

The wait at the bust stop is not very long. Once the bus comes, Sunyoung sits and, just like that day at the beach, takes out her notebook and a pen. She's been doing that a lot lately, more than she'd like to recognize it. She pats the paper sheet with her pen, thinking. She writes a few words that seem to make sense, don’t hide, don’t steal my heart, lies – your slow, slow steps, words that are deep inside my heart, come to me...

The bus comes to a stop, and Sunyoung watches as people get off the bus. It's still bright outside, but summer is ending, and it's getting darker earlier. Another summer has come to pass. Sunyoung puts her pen on the paper again, A new leaf will bud, flowers will blossom...

 

"Can I sit here?"

 

Sunyoung is so concentrated she barely rises her head to see who's talking to her.

 

"Of course"

 

"Thank you"

 

"You're welcome"

 

"This moment may be our last, can you feel the distance that is as great as the emptiness in my heart?"

 

"Excuse me?" she asks, exalted and sees, finally, the man sitting beside her "Wait, you?"

 

"It's a good line, I like it"

 

Sunyoung closes her notebook and hugs it protectively.

 

"It's good to know you're still writing"

 

Sunyoung doesn't say anything.

 

"So... how is Jinyoung doing?" Jinki asks, shyly.

 

Sunyoung looks at him in desbelif, how can he ask about her sister so normally after breaking her heart like that.

 

“I just want to know, It’s not a bad thing.”

 

"She's okay now. She's started seeing someone else, I think. Turns out you weren't her prince after all" Sunyoung tells him and Jinki smiles a little.

 

"I was never a prince to begin with"

 

Sunyoung makes an skeptical expression.

 

"No?"

 

"Uh-uh." Jinki says while moving his head to the sides to confirm it.

 

"How so?"

 

"I'm more of a... rabbit"

 

Sunyoung laughs, very much against her will,  and Jinki smiles. Sunyoung realises that Jinyoung probably fell in love with that smile and she understands why.

 

"A rabbit?"

 

"Yes, adorable and fluffy" Jinki says, imitating a rabbit.

 

Sunyoung lets out a laugh, again.

 

"Right"

 

"And princesses don't fall for rabbits, they break up with them"

 

Sunyoung is taken aback, she wasn't expecting this at all.

 

"Wait, my sister, she dumped you?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Why?"

 

"Being together was... comfortable and we both liked it. But that was it. No spark" Jinki says, sounding completely okay with it.

 

"Oh, yes, the spark, of course"

 

"The very important spark, like, wouldn't it be dangerous if you got an electric shock everytime you liked someone?" Jinki inquiers her, with a funny tone.

 

"Indeed"

 

"You should write a song about it"

 

"Should I? I'd call it Electric Shock"

 

"Cool. Will you sing it to me when it’s finished?”

 

“No… no, I don’t sing”

 

“What? Everyone sings”

 

“Not in public”

 

“In the shower?” Sunyoung looks at him as if telling him that she doesn't want to talk about it “because you should see me in the shower. I make Pavarotti bite the dust”

 

Sunyoung can only laugh.

 

“Why do you write songs then?”

 

“Because I like to?”

 

“Oh”

 

“I like the way words and music can get together and create something with a feeling, no matter what that feeling is”

 

“That’s cool”

 

Sunyoung nods with a little smile.

 

"Sunyoung... I think we just missed the last stop" Jinki tells her, sounding apologetic, but not being apologetic at all.

 

"Crap!"

 

"It's okay, we'll take another round"

 

"No, crap. I had to buy, I have nothing to eat at home, by the time we get there, the shops will have closed"

 

"Let's go somewhere else to have dinner, then"

 

Sunyoung is never afraid, because she's a warrior. But warriors are afraid sometimes. Now, with Jinki in front of her, smiling like that, looking at her like that, Sunyoung is afraid of losing her strength. Up until now, she hadn't thought much about Jinki physically other than the fact that she had brunette hair, brown eyes and plump lips. Now, having him like this makes her realise the muscles in his arms, or his adam's apple, or his tone of skin (just a little tanned) and of course, his smile. It all comes down to his smile at the end of the night. Sunyoung is not sure what's going on all through dinner but she can't stop laughing and smiling. Talking to Jinki is easy, it flows naturally. They don't even talk about interesting stuff, but they laugh a lot. Sunyoung realises she hasn't laughed like this with anyone but her friends for a long time. There are, though, those looks Jinki throws at her sometimes, when she's smiling or simply eating that make her nervous. When they're done eating, Jinki refuses to let her go just now and takes her to the night market. They eat food and have some drinks and Jinki goes on about rabbits and Sunyoung doesn't know if she's become Alice and this strange feeling is Wonderland.

 

"I'll walk you home" Jinki tells her.

 

Sunyoung smiles, grateful.

 

"I don't think it's a good idea"

 

"Why?"

 

Sunyoung just laughs.

 

"I had fun tonight, thank you" she says, instead.

 

Jinki smiles back at her.

 

"I'm glad"

 

Sunyoung takes a step back.

 

"I'll see you then" she says, starting to leave.

 

"Sunyoung, wait!" Jinki calls.

 

"Yes" she answers turning around.

 

Jinki is looking at her in that way that makes her nervous, but he seems just as nervous as she is. He gulps.

 

"Can I... kiss you?"

 

Sunyoung just stands there, processing what she's just heard. He wants to kiss her, does she want to kiss him?

 

"Yes"

 

Something shifts inside Sunyoung when Jinki, without waiting a second, places his lips on hers. As Jinki moves his lips with hers, as he encirles her waist with his arm and she places her hands in his neck Sunyoung realises her armour has a crack.

 

"How could you even do this to me? You just took advantage that we weren't together anymore and jumped at the chance didn't you?" Jinyoung yells at Sunyoung.

 

"I never intended to" Sunyoung tries to explain herself.

 

"Yeah, right. I should have known, the way he always asked about you. I thought he was just curious but you two were hiding behind my back"

 

"I didn't even like him when you guys were dating!" Sunyoung snaps.

 

"Oh, so you like him now, huh?"

 

"I didn't say that. Stop being ridiculous!"

 

"I would have never expected this from you, Sunyoung, stealing my boyfriend"

 

"You're not even with him anymore"

 

"Still, you just don't date other's exes, it's just wrong."

 

"Jinyoung..." Sunyoung says, hurt.

 

"I don't want to talk to you"

 

"Fine"

 

"Fine" Jinyoung says.

 

Sunyoung doesn't write anymore after that.


 

"Jinki's waiting for you at the door" the employer tells Sunyoung with a smile.

 

Sunyoung looks towards that direction and there he is, standing there, with his smile and his teeth. Jinki has been coming to the book shop almost everyday after their "date" and he's walked her home every and each day. Sunyoung doesn't really know what to make of it, but she takes it as it is.  They talk about things, about their days, and sometimes they kiss. Sunyoung tells him about her sisters, about how they're not speaking and she can't write anymore and Jinki puts a hand in her shoulder and squeezes it softly, giving her the courage she needs.

 

“How are the wedding preparations coming along?”

 

“Qian is an organizing machine and has everything planned and settled”

 

“She sounds a bit hysteric”

 

“Oh no, Soojung would be hysteric. Qian is cool, she just wants everything to be perfect, which is understandable”

 

“You’ll be a maid of honour, right?”

 

“Yes”

 

“I wish I could go and see you in that periwinkle dress you always talk about”

 

Sunyoung smiles but doesn’t say anything. Jinki draws a disappointed smile. What was he expecting? Sunyoung thinks. But Jinki has already changed the subject.

 

"Sunyoung has a boyfriend?" Soojung asks, shocked.

 

"He's not my boyfriend"

 

"But you're dating him" Soojung follows.

 

"Am I? I don't know"

 

"But you meet every day, and you kiss and you date? I mean, If that’s not what you do with your boyfriend..." Qian tells her.

 

"I guess so?"

 

"Then you're dating" Soojung says.

 

"See, Sunyoung, I told you you'd find your prince" Qian smiles at her.

 

Sunyoung smiles because she's reminded of bunnies.

 

"Sunyoung's never been one for princes to begin with" Jinri says.

 

Jinri is right. Sunyoung has never been one for princes. In her dreams she's the hero and the queen, she's the knight, she doesn't need saving. But suddenly, in her dreams, there's another knight that fights alongside her, sword with sword, to defeat whatever monster may come in their way. Her dream self is not used to share the spotlight and the responsibility, but she soon grows into it and realises two is better than one, at least most of the time. Still, Sunyoung is the one who leads and he never lets the other knight take what is rightfully hers.

 

"Why don’t you try?" Jinki tells her, one day, while preparing something to eat on the kitchen of her apartment. It's winter now, she hasn't spoken to her sister since September. Jinki has been spending a lot of time on her apartment lately, he's there almost every day. Sunyoung doesn't seem to mind.

 

"Really? This again?" Sunyoung says from the coach in her living room with her eyes on the TV.

 

"I’m just saying you should not stop doing it if you like it"

 

"And I’ve told you a thousand times that I can’t"

 

"But you can, I know it"

 

“No, I can’t now. Stop pushing me”

 

“I’m not pushing you, what is so wrong with me wanting you to do something you love? And you are good at it too” Jinki tells hers, coming out of the kitchen with a bowl of soup.

 

“You’re always telling me this, can’t you just accept it?”

 

“But why?” he says while placing the two bowls on the table.

 

“Because I don’t want to, jesus christ, I don’t want to do it anymore”

 

“Liar” Jinki retorts as he sists next to her.

 

“I’m not lying”

 

“Tell me something true, then”

 

“I can’t write songs nowadays, I don’t know why but I just can’t and I wish you stopped bothering me with it”

 

“I just want you to do it again” he says looking at her.

 

“Ok, that’s it. Stop it. I don’t want to hear it ever again”

 

“But as your boyfriend…”

 

“You’re not my boyfriend” Sunyoung says, and her voice sounds cold. She doesn't understand why.

 

“What?”

 

Sunyoung hesitates but she's honest.

 

“You’re… not my boyfriend”

 

“Oh, so what am I?” Jinki asks her, upset.

 

“I don’t know”

 

“You don’t know?”

 

Sunyoung doesn’t say anything.

 

“You seriously don’t know? So it’s okay for me to walk you home and kiss you and coming over at your house but we’re nothing?” he says, getting angry and going into the kitchen.

Sunyoung gets up from the couch and follows him there. Jinki has his hands on the counter and her back at her.

 

“We never said we were something”

 

“But it was implied! It was freaking implied each and everytime I kissed you.” Jinki says, turning around and facing her.

 

 

“Well, you should have said something then”

 

“I’m sorry if I didn’t think asking you to be my girlfriend in front of a crowd made our thing official” he tells her, passing her by and going into the living room again.

 

“What are you talking about?” Sunyoung inquires following him, again. Jinki is there, sitting on the couch, with a hand on his forehead.

 

“You don’t even want to be my girlfriend”

 

“Wait…” Sunyoung says, approaching him.

 

“No, I see it clrearly now" Jinki stands up, trying to get away from her touch "You’ve never been the one to wait and if you had wanted me you would have asked me about it and I would have said yes but you didn’t even try”

 

“I didn’t think of it” Sunyoung says, defending herself.

 

“Just as you didn’t think of inviting me to the wedding”

 

Sunyoung stares at him with a confused expresion that turns into exasperation.

 

“You’re being unfair. You are not my boyfriend, you never were, was I suppose to know every single implied thing you said or did? How the hell was I supposed to know if you never let it show!”

 

“How do I not show? I’ve been following you around for months. What do you even think that was for?”

 

“I don’t know. I didn’t know what you wanted”

 

“Then why did you let me?”

 

“Because I didn’t dislike it”

 

“You didn’t dislike it? Uh, I was here, falling in love with you and all that meant nothing to you” Jinki raises his voice.

 

“What?” Sunyoung asks, not believing what she just heard. This wasn't meant to happen like this. Why is it crumbling down?

 

“I’m gonna go”

 

“Wait, Jinki”

 

“No, Sunyoung, leave me alone”

 

Jinki slams the entrance door and Sunyoung is just there, not knowing what to do.

 

In her dreams, it’s back to one. But monsters get stronger and bigger and Sunyoung wakes up before one of them finishes her off.

 

From that day on, Sunyoung walks home alone.


 

"I'm sorry" Jinyoung calls her one day "I was immature"

 

"I'm sorry too" Sunyoung tells her "I just..."

 

"You were in love" there's a pause and Sunyoung hears a sigh at the other side of the line "I just wanted to be in love like that, you know? And Jinki was perfect. Like a prince"

 

Sunyoung lets out a sad sigh and she doesn’t tell her sister that there isn’t a love to be envious of.

 

"I know"

 

"I miss you, Sunyoung"

 

"Me too"

 

Amber is giving a tissue to Soojung, who cries watching Qian walking down the aisle. She's indeed a beautiful bride. The groom looks at her with eyes full of love and devotion. Sunyoung recognises that look. The bride and groom kiss, and the room uproars in cheers.

On the banquet, the maids of honour have to give their blessings to the bride and the groom. Amber is the first, and being Amber, it’s all jokes and fun. Jinri speaks with a bright smile on her face and shining eyes about their love and Soojung tears up a little in the middle of her speech, sad to see that they’re all growing up.

 

Sunyoung goes up the stage. She grabs the microphone, awkwardly.

 

"Hi, hello. I'm Park Sunyoung. When Qian told me I had to speak at her wedding I have to say I was at a loss of what to say. I’m not very good with words, at least not the ones I can’t write, so I’ll try to be short” she laughs” When I first saw you together, I remember it was on a very cold winter night and Qian brought him to the bar we always meet. Honestly… he looked really nervous, which is understandable seeing how we are when we are together, but he blended well with us and we realised that he shared a lot of things with Qian. The most important thing though, is that we realised that you guys made each other happy. I want to believe that, in a way, that’s what being in love is about. Sometimes it may get hard and things may not work out but overall, I want to believe love makes you happy and it makes you brave. So I want to propose a toast for your love, that I hope will bring you happiness every day of your life. Cheers”

 

“This is Jonghyun” Jinyoung tells her one day, sitting across her in a cafeteria.

 

Sunyoung looks at him. He’s handsome, with dark brown hair and pouty lips and he looks like a puppy when he smiles at her and introduces himself. Sunyoung smiles back at him and tells him her name is Sunyoung and that it’s a pleasure to meet him and Jinyoung smiles at her, happy that she approves.

 

One night, Sunyoung has a nightmare. She’s fighting a dragon, the biggest and fiercest one she’s ever seen. It has burnt part of her armour and her skin. Her sword is falling to ashes with every attack. She’s sure this is the end. With what is left of her strenght, Sunyoung swings her sword one last time and pierces the dragon’s skin. Something in her chest hurts, the same wound, just like the one in the dragon is starting to come out in her chest. She falls on her knees. Sunyoung realises that all this time, she’s been the dragon to defeat.

 

Sunyoung is running through the streets, it’s night and it’s cold. It’s still late February and there’s a whole month left for spring. Her scarf covers her face. She crosses throught blurred lights and halos of breath, but she’s focused. She is going somewhere. At some point, she stops in front of a door. She knocks, but there’s no anwer. She knows someone is inside, because she has seen it through the window before the curtains were closed. Sunyoung breathes in.

 

It feels like my breath will stop, my face blooms in the moonlight, Sunyoung sings, trying to catch her breath.

 

At some point, the past is separating us but, in my heart you sway like a stream of water.

 

Inside the house, there doesn’t seem to be any response. Sunyoung continues, this time more confident and louder.

 

Just like that, just like that, I will stay behind you, for always. Just like that, just like that, I will always be one step behind you, for always.

 

Dalalala la laladalalala la lala

Dalalala la laladalalala la lala

 

It sarts snowing and it’s the perfect company for Sunyoung’s sweet voice filling the alley. But the door doesn’t open. Sunyoung waits, under the snow. She hears a click and the door finally opens, Jinki greets her with a smile.

 

“Come in, you’ll freeze out there” Jinki tells her with a smile but Sunyoung doesn't move.

 

“I’m sorry” is the first thing she tells him.

 

“Me too”

 

“Do you still love me?”

 

Jinki looks at her, at her cheeks that are red because of the cold, those brown eyes and that long brown hair and knows he's never tried to stop doing it.

 

“I do”

 

“Good. ‘Cause so do I”

 

Sunyoung doesn’t let Jinki say anything else because he grabs him by his jumper and kisses him there, under the snow.


Princes and fairytales are long overdue. Sunyoung thinks, while resting her head on Jinki's stomach on their new coach, that princes and princesess are too boring. Happy endings don't come with a magic kiss. In her dreams now, Sunyoung is a girl with long black hair who stands tall and doesn't need an armour. A hero is one who stands for what it wants, without fear. And Sunyoung is her own hero.

 

 


Uaaa, so this is it! I liked writing this!  The lyrics here are actual song lyrics from k-pop songs so if you want to know which ones... just google them! Well, I really enjoyed writing Lunew and a Luna point of view fic. I hope those ho have read it will like it too!  Also, the puns on Electric Shock and f(x) colour and all, I'm not even sorry xDD

Thanks for reading!