“Where Questions Lead”

That Ever-Pressing Question


Peering through the glass doors to the gathering cameras and people outside, Aom Sushar heard an amused voice on the phone behind her.  “Where are you?  Well, get here as soon as you can, she's here missing you, the press is waiting and the meeting starts in fifteen minutes.  Okay, bye now.”  Bright, encouraging eyes turned to Aom as the auburn-haired woman hid a smile and hung up her cell.  “Filming went over-time, he's coming as fast as he can, but I have to get to the meeting and you'd better start the press interviews without him.”
Aom pointed an accusing finger at “Boss” and shook her head.  “Who's here missing him?” she teased.  Both laughed as Boss pouted, raised her eyebrows, and almost said something else, but stopped at Aom's warning look.  Instead, P'Jeab hurried ahead though the doors, and called out a friendly, “Bye for now, I'll see you soon, Aom, yes?”  Aom watched her greet everyone outside before disappearing around the corner.  
Aom took a deep breath, adjusted her dangling silver necklace, smoothed her soft yellow tunic over her skinny jeans, tightened her knotted belt, and pushed open the doors to walk out to the waiting group of reporters, ready to catch her on the way to the nearby building where she planned to meet with P'Ananda and P'Jeab to discuss a potential drama that they hoped to cast her in.  Though she had security escorts nearby, she walked to the press alone and found comfort in waving to the fans lined up behind the media cameras, always glad and thankful for their support and love.  The huddle of reporters began recording and shouting out inquiries faster than Aom could hear them.  She was used to this kind of attention from demanding reporters, though it would always be strange, and greeted everyone sweetly and courteously.  Still, it would be more enjoyable and even fun if he was there.  Before she could call this sudden realization “missing him,” she sensed a warm, friendly presence beside her.  Aom instinctively smiled as she felt familiar fingertips tenderly brush against her back to rest comfortingly on her shoulder.  There was no need to check to see who it was, she knew that hand too well. “You're late!  You just wanted me to do this alone, didn't you?” she taunted, enjoying the soft, deep moan that protested her accusation.  “Mmmm, I'm here now, Kaa.  Uhhh...You knew I'd come as soon as I could.  Good to see you, Aom.”  The words were meant only for her and were whispered so softly and closely to her ear that they tickled her neck.  She laughed and reached up to briefly grasp his hand reassuringly, knowing well he already knew she wasn’t really upset at him.  
The press half a dozen labeled microphones in their faces and the two graciously began the task of deciphering and answering the many questions simultaneously blurted out from various reporters who hungrily pried into their personal lives in an excited attempt to get a good story.  Resting her head back into jacket sleeve, Aom caught Mike's eyes and made a determined fist, mouthing a fierce “su-su!” that was enthusiastically returned.
As Mike humbly and graciously answered another variation of the “are you really single?” question for the umpteenth time, Aom felt for him and eased the tension with a light laugh.  She knew well that they were both exhausted from their busy filming and promoting schedules, and neither had slept much the night before.  Still, she was glad to be with Mike now and looked forward to time to talk and be with just him after this interview for the press was over.  
One of the media reporters yelled out the question they both knew was coming.  “If you're not dating, what are you to each other?” Another piped it, “Mike, don't you like Aom?” while someone else blurted out “Aom, Aom- what is Mike to you?”  Though he was smiling at the relentless questioning, his fingers on Aom's shoulder tensed ever so slightly,  prompting her to turn back to meet his deep, penetrating eyes.  They exchanged a long look as his fingers tangled themselves in her hair and she felt his arm press protectively into her back.  She was so accustomed to Mike's touch by now, that she found it comfortable, natural, and almost expected.  As always, his presence was reassuring and genuine.  Still, at this moment, as she connected with his deep, penetrating gaze; she felt a tremor run over her, as if the warmth of his tantalizing touch was flowing through her and giving her needed strength.
It wasn't a kind of bond you could easily put a label on.  When looking at Mike, she saw...well... Mike!  That same positive, sweet, gentle but very sensitive boy she had known as her dear friend for these last years.  The same one who had been her confidant whenever she needed to talk to someone, her playmate when she wanted to goof around and tease someone, her support when she was feeling tired, her encourager when she was sad, and the first one to join her excitement when she was happy.  Although they had become so close over a fairly short time, it was hard to imagine life without his presence and honest heart to carry her through.  They had endured so much and gone through emotional highs and lows, as well as surviving exhausting schedules together and portraying characters that were very much like themselves in the now beloved Thai version of “Full House.”   She knew she wouldn't have had so many opportunities without Mike beside her, let alone be singing professionally if he hadn't encouraged her to sing “Oh Baby I” with him and shown her she could do it.  He had unwavering faith in her, and she in him.  She took another long look at him as he nodded, still talking graciously to the stubborn reporters who insisted on asking the same relationship questions over and over.  

“When are you going to make Aom your girlfriend, Mike?” they insisted.  Mike laughed, a laugh that Aom knew so well, a sound that would always lift her spirit and make her smile.  She watched him for a moment, studied his  as he looked at her with a boyishly shy smile and slightly flushed cheeks.  No, the word “boyfriend” or concept of “date” just didn't fit him...  but, then again, neither did just “friend,” in its simplest form, since she also called many costars and acquaintances as “friends” that she did not know nearly as well or share as many memories with.  She understood Mike almost perfectly, knew what he was thinking or feeling without him having to explain, and agreed with him on almost everything important... what they disagreed on, they enjoyed discussing and playfully arguing about only to end up laughing and teasing each other about it.  

“Don't you see you're perfect together?” “Everyone thinks you two should date.”  The comments kept coming.  Looking at Mike's face, she realized those words “date” “boyfriend” “crush” “like” as well as the restrictive, complicated, and sometimes stressful concepts of dating didn't fit them.  How could she limit the man standing behind her to those words or put their connection and relationship into those confined concepts?  She felt his breath on her ear and neck as he let out a soft sigh, leaning his weight expertly on her with an arm that always seemed to rest on her shoulders and a hand that constantly found her hair tangled up in its fingers.  

No, she decided...he was still simply “Mike”... no other title or idea seemed to fit.   After filming every day together, traveling to places in Korea and China and back for shooting and promotions, Mike had just naturally become a part of her life, her heart, her family.  He was there, and it felt like he always would be.  Dating seemed to much like a game that could be put under the media's microscope and put more and more pressure on a couple, especially one in the spotlight, until they were forced apart by rumors and expectations and merciless questioning by interviewers and well-meaning fans.  There was no need for that with him, they were so comfortable together, it was so right- why change something or force something to make things more complicated and potentially rip them apart?  Everything was right like this now, having him there in her life, leaning on him for support and guidance, teasing and laughing together, without the stress and pressure of having to be something else to others around them.  

Aom broke out of her musings as she felt Mike's fingers drum on her head and realized the interviewer was asking her the same tiresome question he had been trying to answer...  She smiled, glancing back to exchange an amused look with Mike.  Knowing their bond was so much deeper and more significant than the simple word “friend” or the weighted word “boyfriend” implied, she took a breath and answered the only way she could.   “No, Mike's just a good friend.”  He nodded, affirming her answer as he released her silky hair only to draw his hand softly around her slender waist just before she nearly tripped on the tall platform shoes she wore.  He gripped her waist knowingly, as if he already had anticipated her losing her balance before she started to fall.  At that moment, she realized there really wasn't a word for this connection they shared, so much more meaningful, carefree, comfortable, unconditional, and lasting than dating implied... yet, so much deeper, connected, needed and steadfast than friendship alone.