Raining Cats & Dogs

Puppy Love

Warnings: language


Baekhyun was on his dog pillow, aimlessly watching the movie on the screen even though he didn’t understand. He noticed the cat Jongdae stalked over to his pillow and sit right in front of his snout. Baekhyun breathed air out of his nose, as that was the only thing he could do to breath and Jongdae hissed.

“The do you think you’re doing Baekhyun!” Jongdae hissed, batting the air coming from Baekhyun’s nose. Baekhyun hummed, his eyes drooping with sleep.

“I’m breathing, Jongdae. No need to get pissy,” Baekhyun mumbled, his lips and teeth. He wasn’t in the mood to play with the cat since he was always in a mood. Ever since Jongdae arrived, Baekhyun could sense that Jongdae had a genuine hatred for him, and he didn’t know why.

“It’s not okay to breathe on me you fowl creature!” Jongdae growled, stalking up to Baekhyun with his green eyes in a glare. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, were his owners even paying attention? He could eat Jongdae right now and probably get away with it. Jongdae could probably slice his throat in two seconds and no one would know what happened.

“Why do you hate me so much?” Baekhyun asked, raising his head up from his paws. Jongdae sat down, his long tail swirling behind him. Jongdae looked disinterested.

“Why do you want to know?” Jongdae teased, and Baekhyun just groaned. He hated when other animals wouldn’t be straight with him. He remembered going to the dog park and trying to make friends with a poodle named Luhan. That didn’t even smell him, Luhan just walked away disinterested when Baekhyun just wanted to play. He remembered Luhan saying, “Can you please stop stalking me? I don’t want to ruin my pedicure.”

Baekhyun didn’t hate Luhan, but he was definitely pissed because all he wanted to do was play tug of war, but the other just cared about getting pampered. What a .

“Because I want us to be friends,” Baekhyun said with a smile as he stuck his tongue out and panted. Jongdae was offended by the odor that came out of Baekhyun’s mouth.

“Ew, gross. And I don’t want to be friends with you,” Jongdae snapped back, his tail waving dangerously.

“Why not?” Baekhyun whined, tilting his head. He could see Jongdae bubbling up in anger, but he didn’t have enough reaction time to get out of the way of Jongdae’s lash.

“BECAUSE I SAID SO!” Jongdae growled, lashing out his claws against Baekhyun’s snout, and Baekhyun yelped in defense, not liking the sting on his snout. Jongdae hissed as he was being taken away by the scruff by Jongin. Jongin flicked Jongdae on the nose and Jongdae hissed at the human, calling Jongin a “punk ”.

Baekhyun just whimpered in the corner as Chanyeol placed an alcohol wipe against his cut. It stung pretty badly, but Baekhyun endured the pain. He just wanted to know why Jongdae hated him so much.

He found out pretty quickly once they reconciled and Jongdae was let out of his cage. Jongdae had endured the cage as punishment, and finally walked out with his ears down and his tail in his legs. Baekhyun was sprawled out on the couch, waiting for someone to get home. He remembered that Chanyeol went out in his usual work clothes, so he would be back in time for lunch, but for now Baekhyun just flopped around. He was in the middle of getting his favorite chew toy, a doraemon cushion, when he noticed Jongdae sunning himself on the window sill.

“Hi!” Baekhyun barked loudly and Jongdae slowly opened his eyes to peer down at the hyperactive Labrador down below. Jongdae groaned, he hated when his nap time was interrupted. Jongdae got up, stretched out his back muscles and stood on the window sill.

“What do you want?” Jongdae meowed, liking the distance he put himself between him and Baekhyun.

“Do you want to play?” Baekhyun asked, shaking his whole body in excitement. Baekhyun didn’t have anyone to play with before, and he noticed that Jongdae had injuries before. But now that Jongdae was healed, he could play.

“Do I look like a dog to you?” Jongdae asked, sitting down on the window sill. He started to his paw to clean himself and noticed that Baekhyun was still waiting for a reply, and was still wagging his tail. Jongdae hissed, “NO! I’M NOT GOING TO PLAY WITH YOU!”

“Why not? Come on, it will be fun!” Baekhyun bounced around the living room in excitement, pouncing down and wagging his tail in the air. Jongdae squinted his feline eyes.

“What is it that you want?” Jongdae jumped down from the window sill onto the couch and then down to the floor. He looked up at Baekhyun with a frown on his kitty mouth and Baekhyun looked super, duper excited to play.

“A chase! I heard cats are fast,” Baekhyun yipped in excitement and pounced around Jongdae, careful not to hit his swishing tail. As Baekhyun said the proposition, Jongdae’s tail swished faster and his heart beat a little faster as well.

“A chase?” Jongdae peeked in interest, his mouth curled in a smile behind his whiskers. His eyes glowed as he thought about out racing Baekhyun and he agreed. Jongdae purred, “Okay, sounds like fun.”

Baekhyun jumped in delight and set the race up. He pawed at the start of the race, and Jongdae gracefully sat in his place. Baekhyun barked excitedly, “Okay! Here’s how the chase goes. We’ll do one lap of the set course and then it’s free game. It’s like tag, and so we’ll each get a turn. The race is to go directly into the kitchen, around the kitchen table, through Chanyeol’s room, under his bed, to Kyungsoo’s room, over his bed, and then back to the living room. Okay? You ready!”

Jongdae purred in delight as he rubbed against Baekhyun’s long leg in anticipation, “First one to complete the lap is getting chased?”

“Yup!” Baekhyun barked.

“Then eat my dust, ‘cause you’ll never catch me!” Jongdae cackled as he sprinted towards the kitchen, Baekhyun not too far behind. Jongdae, with his slender body, kept rounding the corners of the table really fast while Baekhyun nudged every single chair out of place. Jongdae turned down the hallway to Chanyeol’s opened door and raced inside the dark room. Jongdae easily slipped under Chanyeol’s bed, where Baekhyun struggled and had to go sideways and shimmy his way underneath the bed.

Kyungsoo’s room was the hardest since he kept it closed. Jongdae tried to jump up the handle, but he couldn’t turn it and plopped back down in frustration. Jongdae glared back at Baekhyun, watching him struggle on his side to squirm from under Chanyeol’s bed. Jongdae sighed, swaying his tail as he waited in front of the white door.

Baekhyun finally squeezed himself from under Chanyeol’s bed and scampered over to the next door, still thinking that the race was on. Unfortunately, he slammed nose first into the white door and slid to the floor in pain. Jongdae just watched while swishing his tail, his mouth curled into a comical smile.

Baekhyun shook himself off and stood up, wagging his tail and panting. He turned toward Jongdae and panted, “Did you give up?”

“No, I can’t open the door,” Jongdae confessed, his tail swishing a little slower in embarrassment. Baekhyun didn’t mind and didn’t make fun of the cat, instead standing up on his hind legs and scraping at the door knob. Baekhyun miraculously opened the door and Jongdae immediately scampered into the dark room.

“Oh you’re welcome,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he saw Jongdae leap onto Kyungsoo’s bed and pawed at the blanket over his sheets. Baekhyun started to run, propelling himself forward before jumping and leaping clear over the bed. Jongdae’s claws were stuck in the blanket, but Baekhyun waited for the cat to be unstuck. Baekhyun barked, “You okay?”

“I’m stuck! My claws always get caught in the stupid blanket,” Jongdae growled, kneading his paws out of the blanket. He ended up shaking his paws out and ripping the blanket to shreds in the middle. Jongdae turned back to see Baekhyun wagging his tail waiting patiently. Jongdae narrowed his cat eyes and leapt off of the bed down to the ground.

“What are you waiting for, slow poke!” Jongdae yelled as he scampered off into the living room. Baekhyun panted and followed closely behind, but he ultimately knew that he’d be chasing Jongdae. But that was okay though, because he honestly liked Jongdae the cat. He was sometimes really mean, but he was also a funny cat and really fun to play with. Baekhyun was glad to have a friend around, but he didn’t know how Jongdae felt about him. He seemed kind of distant at times.

Baekhyun was now chasing Jongdae, and Jongdae pulled a couple of sneaky tricks on Baekhyun. Jongdae was lighter and thinner, so he weaved through the chairs in the kitchen where Baekhyun just barreled through and knocked all the chairs down. Jongdae also went underneath Chanyeol’s bed again because he knew Baekhyun would get stuck. Jongdae just wanted to laugh at Baekhyun while he squirmed and struggled to get underneath the bed.

Baekhyun went through every obstacle Jongdae created, until Jongdae ended up climbing up onto the upper cabinets that Baekhyun couldn’t get to. Baekhyun started jumping up onto his hind legs, whining to Jongdae as the cat paced back and forth on top of the high cabinets.

“Come down! No fair!” Baekhyun barked and Jongdae smiled his pretty cat smile.

“Nope!” Jongdae his paws, rubbing his face to clean himself. Baekhyun gave up and plopped himself on the ground in a sitting position. He knew he wasn’t able to reach the cat, but he didn’t give up. He just watched the cat pace back and forth while he panted.

It wasn’t long before Chanyeol got home and gasped at the mess they made. Baekhyun didn’t even realize the mess, too focused on trying to get the cat to come down. Baekhyun heard Chanyeol’s low grumble and Baekhyun furrowed his brows in sadness and tucked his tail in between his legs. Baekhyun knew he was in big trouble when Chanyeol started yelling at him, and Baekhyun was ashamed.

Jongdae felt a little bad that Baekhyun was getting yelled at while he didn’t get any repercussions. Jongdae meowed out toward Chanyeol and Chanyeol’s eyes were on fire. Jongdae slinked back to the lower counter and Chanyeol grabbed hold of Jongdae and placed him onto the dog pillow, yelling warnings to him.

Jongdae watched as Baekhyun got scolded and felt even worse. Baekhyun whimpered, muttering apologies in whines and Chanyeol angrily let Baekhyun out to use the bathroom at the nearby park, but immediately came back in five minutes after. Chanyeol placed Baekhyun in his cage and shook his pointer finger at Baekhyun with a scold.

“Sorry, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whined, placing his head down on top of his paws and Chanyeol slammed the apartment door and left without saying goodbye to the animals. Jongdae waited until the room was silent before waltzing to the closed cage.

Jongdae looked up at the big dog eyes in front of him and Jongdae tilted his head. Jongdae found Baekhyun to be really annoying, but he was even more frustrated when Baekhyun wasn’t his normal self. Jongdae meowed at Baekhyun, but Baekhyun looked at him sadly and sighed. Jongdae growled, he was going to do something about it.

Jongdae pawed at the cage and ended up pulling the lock on the cage, opening the door wide open. Baekhyun raised his head in surprise, but was still in his cage. Jongdae frowned, and meowed, “Aren’t you coming out?”

“I’ll disobey Chanyeol,” Baekhyun whined, placing his head back down. Jongdae groaned.

“Well I didn’t get yelled at, and I feel bad that you did. Just come out,” Jongdae whined, and Baekhyun slowly moved out of the cage. He edged toward his dog pillow and laid himself on it. Jongdae ended up lying beside Baekhyun on the living room rug and purred contently. He liked the quiet.

“Thank you,” Baekhyun let out while he sunk into a comfortable position.

“Don’t worry about it,” Jongdae his paws again, trying to get it clean. He paused. “You know, I had fun today.”

“You did?” Baekhyun wagged his tail, edging his nose toward the cat.

“Yeah, you’re not so bad after all,” Jongdae admitted, resuming his paw . Baekhyun smiled contently and pushed his nose up against the cat to smell him. He smelt happiness and that made Baekhyun extremely happy. He could hear the thump of his tail he was so happy. Jongdae hissed warningly, “Don’t think you can cuddle up to me every day though! You’re not that special. I don’t do this for any dogs!”

“Why do you hate dogs?”

“Because a dog gave me my scars,” Jongdae snapped, and Baekhyun stopped his thumping. Jongdae began talking about the attack and how it scared him. He was so close to death many times. His first owners dumped him on the street after getting other cats pregnant, and his second owners neutered him, but ended up dumping him because their son was allergic. He ended up a street cat, eating little to none. Jongdae sighed, “And then this pit bull came up to me with Jongin and tore me to shreds. He threatened to kill me once he spotted me. I was scared, but then Jongin helped me.”

“I’m sorry Jongdae,” Baekhyun whimpered, nuzzling his nose into Jongdae’s neck. Jongdae involuntarily purred.

“Why are you sorry?” Jongdae eyed him.

“Because that dog made a bad first impression of all other dogs for you. I’m not like him, I actually like other animals,” Baekhyun thumped his tail in determination. He was hesitant, but he Jongdae slightly and the cat grew stiff. “I like you Jongdae. I want to be your friend. You’re not like other cats.”

That’s when Jongdae nuzzled his head onto Baekhyun’s snout and in between Baekhyun’s eyes. Jongdae pressed his head forward, showing affection for the other animal and Baekhyun closed his eyes. Jongdae whispered, “I want to be friends too.”

Baekhyun wasn’t expecting the slap after words. Jongdae slapped Baekhyun’s muzzle without his claws out and huffed back into his comfortable position. Jongdae glared, “But so help me God, if you try to hump me I’ll tear you to pieces.”

“Got it.”


A/N: Aww, I love all the comments! You guys seemed to like it! :)

I love Baekchen anything, I really do. Bestfriends, boyfriends, whatever. Love it, so here's your slice at kitty!Jongdae and doggy!Baekhyun. :3

This is a little update. I'm not sure if I'll continue it or not just because it's kind of just fluff word vomit with no real plot except friendship. 

Don't forget to comment/subscribe/upvote if you like it! Puts a smile on my face! :D