Hi There!

Gonzo

C'mon Jonghwan,” a caramel haired boy cooed in a babyish manner as they walked out of the school gates. He clung onto the Jonghwan boy's arm, swaying it back and forth quickly as he begged, “Final exams are finally over, the least you can do is get out of your mancave to come party with us later!”

Ah, it was that time of the year again. The time of the year when you've just basically given up on life because you're just so done with school. The motivation levels to even study for possibly the most important exam of your life are also non-existent. But what's important was that they were finally over. It was finally summer, and now they had all the time in the world to do whatever they wanted to do. For Rokhyun and most of the Kyung Dae upperclassmen, that meant going out to parties and clubs every other day.

As for Jonghwan...well, he didn't really know what he wanted to do. For him, summer was just there, just like any other thing in his life. When a new day began, it eventually ended with him not doing anything worth mentioning. Not that he meant to or anything, but Jonghwan enjoyed routine. For him, a good day would be waking up in the morning, eating, getting ready, going to school, coming home, and going to sleep. No parties, no clubs, no drinking. That's what set him apart from a lot of his classmates. He went to a few (okay, maybe two parties) in his freshman year, but that was about it. He didn't reall enjoy the fact that parties were full of surprises. He hated being unprepared. Jonghwan just wasn't about that life.

Rokhyun, I told you, I'm not really into parties,” Jonghwan shook off the older boy from his shoulder, rolling his eyes when Leech-hyun once again latched on, “You can go ahead with Hyukjin and Chanyong, alright?”

But it's not going to be the same without you, bro!” Rokhyun pressed the pedestrian button before turning back to his friend, “Just one club that's all I ask! And you don't even have to do anything. You can just sit there,”

Wrinkling his nose, Jonghwan thought about having to spend money just to sit and do nothing at a gross venue rather than being comfortable in his own home. The two crossed the sidewalk and walked their way back to their apartment complex. Jonghwan rented out an entire apartment to himself while Rokhyun, Hyukjin, and Chanyong all split the bills. While he could have joined them, Jonghwan also wasn't particularly excited about the whole sharing idea. He liked having his own place to himself. It was quiet, and seldom ever noisy. He had all the time in the world to think, and work on music. Nothing ever interrupted him...unless it was his friends who lived just a few building away from him.

Alright fine,” Jonghwan finally agreed the moment he reached his front door, earning himself a wide grin from his senior, “I'll go, but don't expect me to go all out. I'll probably just end up sitting on the side or something,”

Shrugging his shoulders, Rokhyun just continued to beam with happiness and excitement, “Doesn't matter! I'm just glad you're coming with us!”


Hi there!”

As if he had just woken up from a deep sleep, Jonghwan groggily looked up from his untouched, decarbonated French 75 that he was holding in his hand. In front of him stood a brown doll-eyed girl whose hair was stuffed inside a maroon beanie with her fringe slightly brushing against the tips of her lashes. She blinked at his blank face curiously, which creeped him out. Raising a questioning brow, he asked if she needed help to which she responded "no". He awkwardly shifted over to the side when she scooted into the seat next to him. She didn't seem to be like a bad person, but you never really know with people these days. For a while, she sat there scrolling on her phone while he silently prayed for her to get bored and leave. Jonghwan attempted to took somewhat absorbed in the contents of his glass, but ultimately failed because she called him out on it.

"Aren't you going to drink that?” the strange girl asked him with a slight rural dialect lisp; she was now looking straight at him with a blank expression.

Altering his sitting position, Jonghwan shook his head and placed the peach colored drink down on the low table. She merely smiled at him, looking like she wanted to say something else, but was holding off on asking whatever she wanted to ask. Now that his main point of distraction was gone, Jonghwan decided to watch his friends who were getting it out on the dance floor. Chanyong had absorbed himself into a group of girls, Hyukjin was off to the side drinking and chatting it up with a rather pretty lady, while Rokhyun was breaking it down on the dance floor with all the other clubbers. But now with this random girl sitting next to him, Jonghwan wished he was out there doing something other than being a bump on a log. He really needed to work on his social skills. He was just about to excuse himself to make a quick getaway, before the girl turned around in her seat, lifting her leg up to the chair and sliding it underneath her other leg to hold it up, “Hi I'm Sunyu! I don't really know who you are or if you're a creepy stalker or anything so I'm not going to reveal my last name, but hi there!”

Blink. Blink. Blink. Jonghwan just stared. Sure, he was being rude and he knew that, but it was a bit of a shock as to how she could just blurt out her name like that. At least she was pretty aware of stranger danger because she explicitly told him in detail that she wasn't going to expose her last name to him. Getting comfortable in his seat, Jonghwan nodded his head slightly, and returned a blunt hello, also exchanging his name – first name only. He noticed what she was wearing and deemed it to be a little odd. Usually, party girls wore dresses and heels for maximum movement, but it seems like she had just dressed really casually for the occasion: a dark chambray shirt over a plain tank, straight pants, and Converse (all in black). Honestly, she was pretty under-dressed.

Oh I didn't really know what to wear to this kind of place” Sunyu answered his thoughts, which made Jonghwan unconsciously raise an eyebrow up at her, “It's my first time coming to one of these things and I didn't know what proper attire was so I just threw on whatever I had. Hey, are you really not going to drink that?”

A bit taken aback by her sudden change of topic, he then realized that she was talking about his drink again. Shaking his head, he motioned for her to take it, reassuring her that he didn't drug it or anything. Then again, why would she believe a stranger, right? Well, he didn't drug it anyway so either way, if she did drink it or not, she wasn't going to get harmed. He watched her closely as she picked up the glass from the table, pulling off the orange slice at the rim, and eating the bright red flesh. Satisfied with the taste of the orange, she picked up another one off the plate from the table, and stuck it in . Jonghwan found himself his lips at the thought of the sweet fruit, making his mouth water. Orange juice was one of his favorite drinks after all.

So what are you doing just sitting over here, wandering off into space rather than out there, dancing with girls your age?” she said, placing the drink on the table. Jonghwan questioned why she was pestering him over the drink if she wasn't going to drink it either. Sunyu didn't even give him enough time to answer before she started another set of questions for him to answer, “Do you not like drinking? Or dancing? Or girls?”

Wait, no, don't misunderstand! I love girls – I mean, like girls,” His eyes immediately widened, his face reddening at his stupid mistake. It didn't seem like Sunyu minded though, because she seemed to find his failure rather amusing, “It's just, this whole clubbing thing isn't really my thing,”

Ah, I see. Well, I like boys too, so that's good,” Sunyu grinned, similarly to how Rokhyun usually did before patting his shoulder, “To be honest, this is my first time ever coming to one of these things, and I've never drank before so you're not alone, my friend. In fact, you know what would be fun? I'd like to play a drinking game. Oh wouldn't that be a lot of fun? You and I could play one! I've seen it in the movies before! Oh please, Jonghwan? Will you play a drinking game with me?”

For someone so childish looking, Sunyu definitely had a lot to say. Jonghwan weakly smiled at her, not exactly giving a yes or no answer to her offer to play a drinking game. Usually, he wasn't the one to start or even help drinking games progress because he always took the easy way out. Chanyong and Hyukjin were the gods of drinking games if anything. And besides, the last thing he needed on his hands was a drunk girl with a low alcohol tolerance on his hands. She didn't even look legal for Christ's sake! She looked like a high school student! How was he so sure that this stranger he had just met like five minutes ago was even legal?

Excuse me for asking but I just wanted to make sure...” Jonghwan started his question, making sure not to appear creepier than he already was, “And I'm going to make sure in the less e sounding way I can, but...how old are you? I mean, kids nowadays are really good with computers an-”

Me? Oh no, I'm totally legal!” Sunyu clapped her hands together really loudly before reaching underneath her chair to grab her bag. Pulling something from the bottom of her bag, she held out to him a small stack of papers and cards which Jonghwan could easily make out as a birth certificate, a license, school ID, passport, and social security number, “Here, I can prove it to you!”

Pushing her hands away, he stuffed the papers back into her bag cautiously, “Ah no it's okay, I believe you. There's no need to show me...personal things,”

Wow, this Sunyu girl was really something. How could she bring such important papers to places like these? Her identity could literally get stolen if those papers fell into the wrong hands. Sunyu returned her bag onto the floor, and brought her other leg up on the chair so that she was sitting criss-cross on the chair, “Are you sure about that? I mean if you really need to know my age in case you're an undercover cop or something like that, then hi, I'm Jung Sunyu and I'm nineteen years old.

She stopped short after saying that, before a panicked look replaced her casual expression, “Wait...oops. I just told you my last name. Oh my pineapples, please don't stalk me, sir. I'm just a broke student who lives off ramen. You really don't want me, I'm just skin and bones so I guarantee you that my organs aren't worth your time,”

It took Jonghwan a lot of effort to stifle back his laughter at this point, “No, I'm not interested in your organs, but I'll even out the playing field. I'm Jo Jonghwan, and I'm twenty-one years old,”

Nice to meet you, Jonghwan. And just so we get this straight, I'm not interested in your organs either,”


Author's note: I hope the first chapter didn't scare you guys off hahaha. But yes, there we go – Gonzo is officially starting! I hope you're all excited for this as I am. Comments are appreciated but not mandatory :)

See you next chapter!