Madly

Madly, Deeply

You were completely lost.

Seoul streets looked like a maze and you couldn’t find the way back to the hotel. You were somewhere near Cheongdam or Gangnam… or neither.

Again, you looked down, at your phone’s map.

It happened too fast, someone bumped into you, and, next thing you knew, both you and the person were on the floor.

"I’m sorry, I’m sorry." The person said, getting up fast and offering it’s hand to help you. "I was running and listening to music… I’m so clumsy. I’m sorry. Did I hurt you?"

When you looked up, your heart almost froze.

The person that bumped into you was Jongup. Moon Jongup. And he was smiling at you, offering his hand. Barely did he know that, just yesterday, you had watched BAP’s concert.

"I’m fine." You said, accepting his help, looking away not to face those eyes. Jongup had a special light in his eyes.

Holding your hand, he pulled you up.

"Right." You said, too embarrassed to keep that awkward moment going. "I’m going now."

"Wait." Jongup said as you your back. "It was my fault, the accident, I want to make up for it. Isn’t there anything I could do as an apology?"

"Well," You said, "I’m kind of lost. If you could help me with this map, I would really appreciate."

"Oh, sure." He smiled, really pleased. "Where are you going?"

"I need to go back to my hotel, in Samseong. Here." You showed the map.

"I know a bus that can take us there."

"Us?"

He walked fast to the bus stop and you followed him.

Even when you told him you could go by yourself, Jongup walked with you to the bus. And, all the way back to Samseong, he talked about places you should visit in Seoul and asked about the city you were from.

You two laughed together. Time went by way too fast.

"We arrived, next stop is in front of your hotel." He said.

"Thank you for helping me." You looked away, Jongup’s eyes were fixed on yours. "I thought I would never find the hotel again."

"I was thinking…" Jongup closed his smile, suddenly serious, "are you free tomorrow? I could show you the best places in Seoul. I mean, the best game centers, the best fast foods, the best manga stores…"

You just smiled.

—-

All BAP members knew about the mysterious girl that Jongup was completely in love with. In less than two weeks, he was singing love songs around the dorm and sighing at the blank walls.

When he invited the girl to visit their dorm, all member were absent, except for Youngjae.

He was in the kitchen, making a lunch for himself when Jongup arrived.

"Is anyone home?" He asked.

"Me." Youngjae said, without stopping what he was doing.

"Hyung…"

When Youngjae looked at the kitchen’s door, his eyes were captivated by that girl.

"Hello." You said and introduced yourself.

Youngjae smiled, enchanted by you, by your voice.

"Hey." He said. "So you are the one that Jongup won’t stop talking about."

"Hyung." Jongup blushed.

"Do you know BAP?" Youngjae asked.

"Yes. I’ve even gone to a concert."

"Ah," Youngjae smiled, "did you like it?"

"Of course."

"What was your favorite song?" He asked.

You answered and he just smiled. That was his favorite song too.

"So, hyung…" Jongup said. "Guess what we are doing today."

"What?" Youngjae looked at .

"Disney marathon."

"Oh, no." Youngjae rolled his eyes.

That afternoon, you, Jongup and Youngjae spent hours and hours watching Disney movies together, eating pop corn.

—-

Jongup’s door was closed. Youngjae knocked three times. 

"Jongup… are you alright?"

No answer.

"Jongup?"

He opened the door just to see Jongup laid on his bed, eyes lost in the window and the saddest expression Youngjae had ever seen in Jongup’s face.

"Tomorrow." Jongup said. "She is going back tomorrow."

Youngjae’s heart suffered from the same pain. Just like Jongup, he fell in love in the most scary and unpredictable way. Both of them loved the same girl, but only Jongup could show it. Youngjae had to bury it deep inside.

He sat beside Jongup.

"I know it hurts."

"I tried to let it go." Jongup said. "I repeated over and over, think about Babys, think about Babys. And when I think I will be able to forget her, I remember our last few days and I get myself thinking… what if… what if we could be together, for real. What if she could be my girlfriend. And if I could call her in the middle of the day and care for her, hold her hand."

They made silence for a while.

"Tomorrow she will no longer be in Seoul. No more Disney marathon. No more playing video games together. Cooking together. She told me she would teach me how to make cake. We didn’t have time. I just met her, I can’t say goodbye."

Youngjae took a deep breath.

"Don’t let her go, Jongup."

"Hyung…"

"If you love her, tell her." Youngjae forced a smile. "Before she gets on that plane, look into her eyes and be honest. If it’s supposed to be, damn… she won’t leave."

"Really?" Jongup smiled.

"Do you love her?"

"Yes. And I want to show her everyday. I want to show her just how important she is to me."

"Than, go." Youngjae said.

"I will."

Jongup jumped out of the bed, dressed his coat and left the dorm.

Alone, Youngjae looked at the window. He closed his eyes and smiled, trying to brush the sadness away, but tears fell from his eyes. Youngjae knew you would not get on that plane… he knew it. Youngjae saw in your eyes how much you loved Jongup.

It was never about Youngjae. And he knew it.