» 0 1

My Dancing Angel

“And one and two and spin your partner, now dip!”

A flurry of footsteps hurried to follow the directions as the Latin American music blasted throughout the studio. The dance instructor watched in pride as his students danced with enthusiasm. They had improved so much since they first started learning how to tango. All the couples danced across the room until the song hit its final beat.

“Wow, good job!” he said, clapping his hands together. “I’m impressed! You’ve all been practicing, haven’t you?” Though they were sweaty and short breathed, the students nodded and he grinned turning to his co-teacher. “Dongwoo, haven’t the improved since their first day?”

Dongwoo smiled and nodded. “Most definitely, Hoya.” Then turning back to the students, he said, “I’m so happy to see you all tango with such passion! Next week, we’ll start on the salsa.” He shook his hips for emphasis. “It’ll be so much fun! Hope to see you all next week.”

Hoya smiled at his students. “Thanks for showing up this week, guys. Until then, class dismissed!”

The dancers dispersed, grabbing their water and towels and saying their goodbyes before heading out the door.

This is what they did for a living. Dongwoo and Hoya – this was their passion. Dancing and sharing the art of dance with others was their dream, and being able to do it together was just as lovely. They had met in their college years through a dance class and had been inseparable since. They were engaged soon after graduation and married a year later. And for their first anniversary, Hoya had bought a studio that he had been saving for since long before they were married. They started their own dance class business that grew wonderfully over time. Their relationship had always sparked jealousy from others, as it seemed like they were in a continuous honeymoon phase. Even years after their marriage until now, they were still so painfully in love with the other.

“They’ve improved so much,” Dongwoo as he dabbed Hoya’s sweaty face with his towel. “Did you see that technique? It was so nice.”

Hoya nodded as he held his water bottle up for Dongwoo to sip. “They’re improving a lot in a small amount of time. But there’s still a long way to go for all of them.”

Dongwoo leaned over and pecked him on the lips. “But at least they’re improving.” He grinned widely. “That must count for something.”

Hoya smiled gently. “Of course it counts for something. It counts for a lot of things. Eventually they will reach their goal.”

“And we will guide them and encourage them the whole way, right?” his husband asked.

“Right – we’ll encourage them. But there’s nothing a bit of constructive criticism won’t hurt.”

Dongwoo hit his shoulder playfully. “You’re so mean, Hoya! Just encourage them. There’s nothing that love can’t motivate.”

Hoya chuckled and walked and turned towards the large mirrors of the room, staring at his reflection. “But you don’t want to sugarcoat them. Nobody likes false hope.”

Dongwoo raised his eyebrow and attached a playful smile on his face as he walked over to wrap his arms around Hoya and lean into his chest. He stared at their reflection in the grand mirrors. “Well, sometimes people need some false hope. Because at least then they have hope.”

“But the hope is fake,” Hoya responded, arguing mischievously.

“But you fake it ‘til you make it! That’s how the saying goes, Hoya.”

“But where’s the satisfaction of knowing that you faked your way to the end?”

“It’s the satisfaction of success,” Dongwoo replied. “And that’s what counts. Even if you can’t make it all the way, it’s good knowing that you made it far, right?”

“But how are you satisfied if your goal was to reach the end?”

“Well, if it’s so beyond your league that you can’t even reach your goal it’s nice knowing that you made it really far and tried really hard!”

“But–”

Dongwoo pinched his cheek painfully. “Stop with the buts! I swear, every time you start your sentence with but I just end up stressing!”

Hoya laughed and pulled him closer by his waist, peppering kisses all over his face. “I’m sorry, baby. I promise not to stress you out with my annoying arguing,” he teased. Dongwoo giggled as Hoya’s lips tickled his cheeks. “And I promise not to start anymore sentences with but.”

Dongwoo raised his eyebrow. “Promise?”

“I’ll even pinky swear,” he said, offering up his pinky. Dongwoo laced it with his own and grinned. Hoya’s smile mirrored his. “See? Now it’s a promise and I’m not allowed to break it.”

“But Hoya, what if–”

“Ah, ah, ah,” Hoya chided, placing a finger over Dongwoo’s full lips. “Since I can’t say but you can’t either because we are married, and we do things together. That includes promises.”

Dongwoo rolled his eyes. “Fine.” He leaned in to kiss Hoya again. “But only because we’re married.”

“And because you love me.”

“And because I love you,” he added as he pulled him forward by his shirt to kiss him again. “I love you a lot.”

Hoya pecked his nose. “But I love you more.”

Dongwoo gasped and widened his eyes. “You just used but!” he cried, placing an accusing finger on Hoya’s nose. “You just used but!”

“…No, I didn’t.”

“Yes you did.”

“But–”

“You just used it again!”

Hoya pursed his lips. “This is a stupid promise.”

“Should we un-promise it?”

“Yeah,” he said, holding his pinky up again. “Let’s un-promise.” So they linked their pinkies together again, but this time, they both kissed the other’s pinky. It was their special little way of undoing a promise. They unlaced their pinkies as Hoya smiled. “See – now I can use but whenever I want.”

“But you’re not allowed to stress me out.”

“Of course not,” he chuckled, playfully nipping at his nose. “Slap me the day I stress you out so much that you can’t handle it. I give you permission.”

Dongwoo giggled, knowing that a day such as that would never come. “Okay! Whatever you say! Don’t be surprised if I slap you out of nowhere, okay?”

“Okay, baby.” Hoya grinned as he pulled his husband in for a deep kiss.

Ew!” a voice cried upon entering. “The teachers are making out again!”

“Oh, come on, have a little decency guys.”

“Get a room!”

Hoya pulled away and found the seven students from the last session of the day filing in and placing their bags to the side. He shot them a toothy grin as they sat down on the floor and began their stretches. “You boys have a problem with our display of affection?”

A boy named Jungkook with a chipmunk like face squinted. “Well, there’s not a problem but it’d be nice if our teachers taught us to dance instead of eating each other’s faces, right?”

“You brat,” Hoya laughed, kicking him lightly. “Just wait till you’re married. You’ll understand me then.”

“Are you sure?” a black-haired boy named Jimin interjected. “My parents don’t kiss like that all the time. They’re always stressed.”

“It’s because they have a kid like you,” Hoya teased, stepping away from Dongwoo to place his sweat towel on one of the stereos. “I think I’d be stressed all the time if I had someone like you on my hands.”

Yoongi, a cap adorned brunette, spoke. “Aw, come on, Hoya. That’s a bit harsh. Right, Dongwoo?” he turned to the other for support.

Dongwoo nodded. “That was mean, Hoya,” he sang.

“We didn’t make any promises on how mean we are to other people,” he said. He looked to one of the boys with platinum blonde hair. “Namjoon is always mean to these boys – they don’t care.”

“Aw, Hoya, I’m not that mean to the little twerps,” Namjoon replied, a gummy smile present. “I just make them do things for me.”

Another brunette named Jin spoke up. “Who do you think you are – our leader? I’m older than you!”

“Yeah, but you’re not as manly,” Yoongi said. “Namjoon-hyung is manlier and charismatic. You’re kind of… girly.”

“Am not!” Jin shouted.

Dongwoo grinned as he watched the boys interact. “You’re all so precious. I wish I could adopt you all. Or at least one of you!”

An orange haired boy named Taehyun grinned up at him with sparkling eyes and shot his hand up. “Ooh, pick me! I want to live with you and Hoya-hyung! We could watch movies about lions together!”

Dongwoo bent down to squish his face in between his hands. “I love you, Taehyung.” Then he shouted, “Hoya! Let’s adopt Taehyung!”

Hoya shrugged. “That’d be nice, I guess. Taehyung is much less trouble than Yoongi.”

“Hey!”

Their last class of the day was a hip-hop class dedicated to younger people. The class was extremely small; it only contained seven students. But this class by far was Dongwoo and Hoya’s favorite. Because of such a small size, it was easy to get close to each one of them and their unique personalities. Unlike other classes, the seven of them called Dongwoo and Hoya ‘hyung’ and the two instructors played around with them a lot. This class made Dongwoo very happy since all of them weren’t normal students. They came from broken families, or bad backgrounds, or they weren’t good at studying or they were just out casted, yet they came together here to form a happy little family through dancing. It made Dongwoo happy, treating these seven boys as if they were his own. He was glad he could form a safe little haven for them while they were here. Many times the kids would come here even if they didn’t have class just to sit around and talk in an empty dance studio. It warmed Dongwoo and Hoya’s heart to see a band of friends so tight knit and dependent on one another. And it almost physically pained them when one of their precious students would walk in with scars, or bruises, or tears. They felt that they were responsible to guard and protect these kids.

“How are you guys?” Hoya asked as he leaned on the stereo. “You haven’t changed much since I last saw you all.”

Hoseok laughed. “You saw us yesterday.”

“What’s your point?” Hoya asked playfully. “Doesn’t mean you can’t change.”

Jimin spoke up sarcastically. “What, do you think I’m going to grow ten inches by the time we meet again tomorrow?”

Dongwoo winked. “We’re not having class tomorrow.” He leaned onto Hoya’s shoulder, where Hoya slung an arm around his waist. “We are going on a date.”

What?” Jimin whined. “But I wanted to have class tomorrow!”

“But it’s kind of our anniversary,” Hoya chuckled.

“That’s so cool!” Jin exclaimed. “You guys are the cutest couple ever! What are you guys doing?”

Dongwoo shrugged. “I don’t know.” He looked pointedly at Hoya. “Hoya hasn’t told me a thing.”

“That’s because it’s a surprise,” Hoya said, tapping his nose, “just for you.”

“Because you love me so much, right?”

“Absolutely.”

“Okay, ew,” Jungkook grimaced. “Keep your gross couple talk to a minimum, please.”

Hoya stared at him and laughed. “I can’t wait till the day you get married. I’ll get to call you gross!”

Jungkook scoffed. “I’m only fifteen. I have, like, forty more years until I need to get married.”

“You’re going to get married at fifty-five?” Taehyung asked incredulously.

Jungkook stuck his tongue out. “Maybe I don’t want to get married.”

“Don’t be like that, Jungkook,” Dongwoo smiled, bending down to pat his head. “Everybody falls in love and gets married eventually.”

Jungkook stared up at him. “Dongwoo-hyung… can I just marry you?”

Hoya dragged a laughing Dongwoo back to his side. “Nope. You should’ve been born earlier because you missed your chance before you were even alive.”

“Aw, but I like Dongwoo-hyung! He’s nice!”

“Don’t worry,” Jimin piped up. “You can always marry me!”

No!

 

 

 

 

“Babe, where are you taking me?” Dongwoo giggled. He tugged at the strong, firm hands covering his eyes. “You know I hate it when I can’t see anything.”

Hoya kept a firm hold over his eyes. “No. You’ll see when we get there.”

“Babe, you had me blindfolded ever since we left the apartment. Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise!”

“Well, yes, evidently!” he said. “But now that the blindfold has been replaced by your hands, I expect you to take them away.”

“But we aren’t there yet,” Hoya sang. “We’re almost there, don’t worry.”

Dongwoo continued taking baby steps forward up a flight of stairs as Hoya followed close behind. He stumbled a few times, but Hoya was right there to help him regain his balance. “How many stairs do we need to climb anyways? I feel like we’ve been climbing them forever after getting off the elevator.”

“Don’t worry we’re done with stairs,” Hoya said as they stepped off the last one. “Now just walk forward.”

“You’re making this so difficult!” Dongwoo pouted. “Just let me see where I’m going!”

“You already know we can’t do that.”

Hoya reached forward and pushed a door open for Dongwoo, and Dongwoo immediately perked up as he felt a gush of fresh air wash over him. “Are we outside?” he asked.

“Yes, we are,” Hoya said, leading him. “I know how much you love the outdoors.”

Dongwoo sniffed the air suspiciously. “It doesn’t smell like dirt or grass. We’re not at a park.”

“No,” he chuckled. “We’re not.”

“Where are we?” he asked for the billionth time.

Hoya stopped and grinned. “Okay,” he said, loosening his hands, “now look.”

He took away his hands and Dongwoo gasped at the sight that met his eyes. They stood on the rooftop of their apartment building, the evening breeze rushing through quietly. The golden sun was beginning its descent below the horizon, the warm golden rays of sunlight illuminating the city before darkness had to swallow it. And six feet away from the ledge was a small glass coffee shop table. It was laden with fresh, warm food with a lace tablecloth and flower centerpiece that matched the surrounding decorations. The exceeding simplicity was lovely, and the glow given from the sunset made it magical.

“Hoya,” Dongwoo breathed, “this is… this is wonderful.” He turned to face his husband with a broad grin. “Did you get me into the car and drive around the parking lot a bunch of times just so I wouldn’t know we were going to the rooftop of our apartment building?”

He laughed. “Yes, I did. It made the surprise better.” Hoya came up next to him, holding up a bottle of golden champagne. “Recognize this?”

Dongwoo’s eyes widened as he took the bottle into his hands. “Is this…? You found the champagne we drank at our wedding?”

“Took me ages,” Hoya smiled. “But I finally found another bottle of it. Who knew it would be so hard to find?”

Dongwoo smiled and wrapped his arms around his neck. “Well, I am most certainly glad that you found it.” He gave him an appreciative kiss. “Because now, this evening is perfect.”

Hoya led him to sit down at the coffee table. “You wouldn’t believe how much trouble it was to make this all happen.” He held Dongwoo’s chair out and gently pushed it in after he had sat down. He took his own seat. “Sungyeol barely let me use this table.”

“Oh yeah, how did you manage to take this from his coffee shop? He never lets anyone use his stuff.”

“I promised to wash his window for about two years.”

“For a table?!” Dongwoo exclaimed.

Hoya grinned. “Not for a table – for you. This is all for you.”

Dongwoo blushed, a dusty pink crawling up his cheeks as he tried to conceal his smile. “And I absolutely love it, Hoya.” He looked out to the horizon. “I honestly couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Hoya stared at him, admiring the way that the rich, golden light illuminated his husband’s face. “And neither could I.” He raised his glass, it being filled with the champagne of their marriage. “Cheers.” Dongwoo raised his own glass and clinked it with his. They both drank.

“Ah, this brings back such old memories,” Dongwoo sighed. “Reminds me of how drunk you were on our wedding night.”

Hoya flushed. “Let’s not bring back those memories, babe. They had to shut down the reception venue.”

Dongwoo rested his chin in his palm, staring at him nostalgiacally. “You were so cute when you were drunk. You couldn’t even remember your own name. But you remembered mine, so that’s saying something, right?”

Hoya reached across the table to take Dongwoo’s hand in his. “It means a lot. You mean a lot.”

Dongwoo blushed. “Aw, baby, you’re too sweet.”

Hoya smiled. “And you know what’s going to make this night even better?” Dongwoo gave him a quizzical tilt of the head as Hoya pulled a black box from his back pocket. He snapped it open in front of Dongwoo. “Look, Dongwoo. I recreated our couple rings.”

Dongwoo gasped as he took the small box into his own hands. There, nestled softly in the black silk, were two identical rings. They were simple silver bands with three pink diamonds aligned in the center, the middle diamond slightly larger than the other two. They were the couple rings they wore when they started dating. They were originally made from cheap plastic, as they children’s playthings that were bought from a convenience store, but they wore them religiously through their relationship. They soon rid the plastic bands for an engagement ring, which soon led to wedding bands. Dongwoo hadn’t seen the rings since. He was utterly moved by how much trouble Hoya went through just to recreate these in real sterling silver, with real pink diamonds instead of those shiny plastic rhinestones.

“Hoya, this is too much.”

Hoya smiled that signature grin of his. “It’s never too much if it’s for you.” He took one of the rings and held Dongwoo’s hand. Slipping it on gently he said, “Forever…”

Dongwoo mirrored his actions, pushing the ring down on Hoya’s finger. “And always,” he finished.

Dinner was finished quickly with lots of irrelevant chatter, the sounds of their voices floating away with the breeze. The food was long forgotten as they sat with their feet dangling off the ledge of the ledge of the building and champagne in their hands. Dongwoo’s head rested on Hoya’s shoulder as they watched the sunset, clinking the last glasses of champagne in the relaxing silence.

“Do you remember when I proposed to you?” Hoya asked in a whisper that could blend in with the wind. “Right here, on this very rooftop?”

“Of course I remember,” Dongwoo sighed, linking his arm with Hoya’s. “I remember crying. I remember smiling. I remember all the happiness.”

Hoya smiled as he stared at the dimming horizon. “I remember being so afraid at the chance you could’ve said no. But I guess I realized there was nothing to be afraid of because… we’re together.”

“Nothing can scare us when we’re together!” Dongwoo exclaimed, throwing his arms and legs into the air for emphasis. He ended up knocking the empty champagne bottle off the building, his eyes going wide as he watched it fall. “Oh no!” he whined. “The bottle! I kind of wanted to keep it!”

Hoya peered downward, searching the grass far down below for any sign of the champagne bottle. “The glass was pretty thick, it might not be broken.”

Dongwoo perked up. “Really? Then we can go down and get it, right? We can look for it together.”

Hoya smiled and kissed his nose. “Of course we can. We’re already done with dinner, so we might as well.” He smiled and sighed. “I love this rooftop. We went here so many times with a stereo just to dance.”

Dongwoo’s face split into a grin. “I remember those times. That’s when we first kissed.”

“It’s also where I asked you to be my boyfriend.”

“We really have a lot of memories here,” Dongwoo mused nostalgically.

“When I die, I want to die here,” Hoya said after a pause. “Die where all our memories were made… just lay here, thinking about our relationship as I fade away.”

Dongwoo smacked his arm. “Don’t say that! You’re not dying anytime soon, so just hush. We still have a whole lifetime ahead of us.”

Hoya kissed the top of his head as the sun dipped below the city horizon. “We sure do. Now let’s go find that bottle.”

They left their plates, Hoya saying that Sungyeol could just clean them when he came to pick up the table, and they headed down to the ground floor. Since the elevator didn’t reach the top floor, they walked down three flights of stairs and took the elevator to the ground floor. The ride down was filled with kisses and careless whispers of eternal love. As soon as they got outside, they were pleased to find that the bottle had stayed mostly in tact.

“Aw,” Dongwoo said, pushing away the tall grass to grab the bottle. “There’s a gigantic crack, and the whole top part broke off, but it’s nothing I can’t fix. At least it didn’t shatter on impact.”

“You’re right, it did a pretty good job of staying together. All we need is a little glue to fix it.”

Dongwoo held this pieces in his hands, careful not to cut himself. “Let’s head back, okay? We’ll fix it tomorrow. But now, let’s get some sleep. I want to cuddle.”

Hoya slung an arm around his waist, guiding them back into the building. “I like the sound of that.”

“I do too.” Dongwoo giggled to himself. “Cuddling with you is the very best.”

“Tonight I will give you the cuddling of your life.”

“I’m okay with that.”

“You will love it.”

“Oh, I know.”

 

 

 

 

The two of them lay in bed in the darkness, cuddling and snuggling like puppies trying to stay warm on a cold winter day. Their quilts were lifted up to their chins, their arms wrapped around each other and legs intertwined as they released soft snores in their slumber.

Hoya’s eyebrows furrowed as a quiet buzzing sound intruded his dreams. He squeezed his eyes tighter as he tried to block it out, but the buzzing, along with a persistent chime, snuck into his head. He groaned out, reaching for what the annoying wake up call could be. He d his nightstand, grabbing his phone. He squinted at the bright screen, staring at the incoming message icon and wondering who in their right mind would be calling at two-thirty in the morning.

He clicked on his phone to pick up the call. “Hello?” he rasped out. “Yes, this is he…” His eyes widened as the call continued, and he sat up quickly with a new urgency. “What?! How could that have…? Okay, I’ll be right over.” He hung up with a click and threw his phone onto his pillow as he tossed his side of the blanket off of him. He stood up and grabbed his pants from the end of the bed and slipped them on. Hurriedly, he rushed to Dongwoo’s side of the bed, gently shaking him awake.

“Babe. Dongwoo, baby, wake up. You need to get up.”

Reluctantly, Dongwoo forced his eyes open, trying to focus on Hoya in the darkness. “Hoya?” he whispered. “What time is it? What’s happening?”

“Get your clothes, baby, we need to get going. Someone broke into our dance studio.”


( A/N ) ; ohoho, why hello to all those of you who subbed. Thank you lots, by the way! X3 But yes, fluffy feels for the first chapter with an end of... I don't really want to say dread. But yes, the first chapter is out ^^ hope you all like it, cause not everything is going to be this fluffy and cute from now on, unfortunately ^_^ but please subscribe and leave a comment if you're please. upvotes are lovely, but not necessary XD See you in the next update!!!

-- Quinnie