Hell's Thief

Hell's Thief

Ravi looked at the horizon.

He was on the edge of a 95 floors building. In front of his eyes there was Port Anchor city at night. All the city lights shinning bright, but no stars is the dark sky, only heavy clouds.

Over the years, the most evil group of politics had taken control over Port Anchor. The democratic city, slowly, became a dystopian government. Poor people were starving at satellite cities as the capital had caviar for breakfast.

Ravi pulled the cloak’s bonnet over his face and jumped.

The elastic rope around his waist made his body stop at the 81th floor. As he had studied, the window was open. He entered the building. And hided himself form the cameras until the big safe at Minister Miller’s office.

Breaking the code, he found what he expected, bars of pure gold. He took one of them. Closed the safe and placed his visitation card on Minister Miller’s table.

—-

The poorest satellite city around Port Anchor was Tera, where Ravi lived in a small apartment from a public housing.

 He knock at one of his neighbor’s door and placed the gold bar over the doorstep, together with his visitation card.

The neighbor answered the door. He had dark circle under his eyes. He looked tired.

"Yes?" But no one was there.

He looked down and opened his eyes as wide as possible. The bar of gold was there. He could not believe. Till that day he thought that the Hell’s Thief was just an urban legend. 

"Thank you, Lord." He said, holding that bar of gold with love.

Ravi watched it from afar.

That man’s daughter had a serious disease and without proper medication she had no chance of living. But, with the gold bar, that family’s problem would be solved.

—-

You knew about the Hell’s Thief, but you never expected to ever see his face. As the daughter of a congressman, you lived in your family’s apartment, in the north side of Port Anchor, where the high society had their homes.

That night, you weren’t supposed to be home, but your teacher had cancelled all the college’s classes and you had nothing else to do.

After spending hours at your bedroom, reading, you walked past the living room to the kitchen, but you heard a noise from your father’s office room.

You thought it would be one of the house’s servants, but you were so wrong. It was him, the Hell’s Thief, dressed in a black cloak, stealing form your father’s safe.

You screamed.

He was taken by surprise, especially when you ran to the security button, over the table, and pressed it.

At the same time, the house alarm echoed through the corridors. In no time, the security team appeared, pointing guns at the Hell’s Thief.

In one single and fast movement, he grabbed you and pointed his gun at your head.

"I wouldn’t do it if I were you." He said to the security team. "I know who this girl is, you wouldn’t want to hurt the congressman’s daughter, would you?"

The security team kept their guns pointed at him, but Ravi knew they wouldn’t risk their heads.

Ravi held you strongly by the waist, shoot with his grappling gun at the safest wall on the other side of the street and jumped from the office window before the police arrived. You screamed all the way to the first floor. The gun’s rope had the exact length needed. 

"Now, go." He said, pulling back the hook in seconds and running away from you.

In an unknown instinct, you followed him. If you lost sight of him, the police would never be able to arrest the famous Hell’s Thief. But the real reason why you followed him was your sudden attraction to Hell’s Thief and his lifestyle. He was so wild, so free. His life was so unpredictable, so exciting. On the other hand, your life was the epitome of boring.

You craved for something new.

—-

After walking through empty and scary streets, you finally admitted you were lost.

"You should have gone back home when I told you to." He said.

With racing heart, you looked back. The Hell’s Thief was right behind you, smiling.

"I found you." You said. "Now I’ll call the police." You took your phone from the pant’s pocket. "You are so screwed."

Hell’s Thief took the phone from your hand without any effort and throw it at the storm sewer. Your phone soon fall into the sewer.

 

You looked at him, really tired.

"Well, but I must admit." Hell’s Thief said. "I’m astonished. You followed me til Tera city. You are fast. You have a good perception."He sighed, "I’m sorry I can’t take you back home. I’m not really wanted there." He smiled in a sarcastic way. "Good luck, be careful with the real thieves out there. Tera is not a safe place. Ah… also, be careful with the murders and the dealers."

"Murders?"

He walked away. And, again, you followed him.

—-

After months, the police stopped looking for you.

You and Ravi became partners in the job of stealing and giving to the poor, under the name Hell’s Thief. After teaching you everything he knew, you became skillful.

After every successful work, you would return at his small place in Tera and live as a normal couple. But far from being normal, you were a couple on the edge.