My Quiet Deskmate

My Deskmate

"Class, im gonna change your seat position, so you guys can know each others more" said Mr. Jung while drawing the new seat map on the board.

"Hyori-a! You seat behind me!!" your friend Younhee said.

"Good! so in boring class we can chat!" Hyori said as she pump her fist. She look again to the board to check who's her deskmate is. Hey eyes widen in response. K I M  M Y U N G S O O. For you guys who doesn't know who he is, he is the most weird, smart,and cold student in this school, no one has ever see him talking to anyone beside his own group infinite. Screw that, even in his group people rarely see him talk. Even some people said he was mute. Great, the talkative Ahn Hyori being seated next to the most quiet student in the school. 

"Annyeonghaseyo...." Hyori greeted the boy next to her.

No response. hmm, maybe he's mute afterall..or..is he deaf?

Hyori shake her head for what she was thinking. The first subject started and Hyori get her notebook ready. One hour past and Hyori is still focused on the teacher's explaination.

"Now, i want you to take notes. This is not on your book, and very important." said the teacher.

Hyori quickly open her notebook and grab her pencil. She look over her side and see the quiet boy searching through his bag and desk. 

what is he looking for? Hyori think as she tilt her head. Just then she realized, in his desk, he only have an open book without pencil case or pencil.

"Are you looking for your pencil case or stationary?" Hyori asked him without her realizing.

And that boy stop searching and just stare blankly at Hyori. His black-brownish eyes locked on Hyori's hazel brown eyes.They stayed like that for minutes until Hyori realized she's been captivated.

"Here, use mine first." Hyori said and let him use her pencil and she look for other pencil in her pencil case.

He didn't say anything and just use the pencil Hyori give.

Tch, not even a thanks. Hyori think and scoffs.

"thanks."

a low voice next to Hyori said. more like a mumble.

e-eh? Hyori blinks a few times and just realize the boy next to her just say thanks. THE MOST QUIET BOY IN SCHOOL SAY SOMETHING. 

"y-yeah.." Hyori said awkwardly and start taking notes.

                                                                   ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

*Myungsoo's POV*

"Class, im gonna change your seat position, so you guys can know each others more" said Mr. Jung while drawing the new seat map on the board.

*sigh* great. new deskmate. 

I look at the board to see my new seat and my new deskmate. My eyes widen in instant. AHN HYORI? are you kidding me? okay this. is. uncool. should i switch? nope. ugh! what should i do?

I lazily move to my new seat and close my eyes waiting for her sweet voice to greet me. or not.

"Annyeonghaseyo...."

She greeted me. she greeted me. stay cool. should i say hi? nope that'll expose my voice. i should just stay silent.

The teacher for the first subject came in and start the lesson. History. 

Great, my least favourite subject. what should i do? And my eyes wandered around the room and landed perfectly on the girl next to me. Her posture when listening to the teacher is...graceful. what am i saying? i mean, it's cute..what so cute on that? well i can't find the perfect word to describe it.

"Now, i want you to take notes. This is not on your book, and very important." said the teacher.

I open my notebook and search for my pencil case. i reached my bag and start digging.

Where is it? don't tell me i forgot to bring it? Seriously?....oh...i left it...in the..table. oh man.

"Are you looking for your pencil case or stationary?" she ask me.

I freeze. Do i look like an idiot? stupid pencil case! why i left you there! what should i do know? So i just stop searching and look at her. her eyes to be exact. She have hazel brown round eyes with sparkle- sparkle? i must be insane.

"Here, use mine first." she said and put her pencil on my desk.

This is where i should say thanks..right? Then i hear her scoffs. what am i thinking. i take a deep breath,

"thanks." i said with my lowest voice i could ever make. almost like a mumble actually. 

"y-yeah.." she said in return. 

My very first conversation in this school.

                                                                        ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

 

"Younhee-ya, do you know that kim myungsoo just say thanks to me?" Hyori said to her bestfriend on their way home.

"Are you kidding me? no way. Maybe it's your imagination. You know, you like to write right? Maybe you're imaginating it." Younhee said

"No! i heard it clearly! well,not clearly..more like a mumble." Hyori said.

"No one has ever he talk. how could he speak to you?" Younhee said and tap Hyori's shoulder.

"B-but.."

"Trust me Hyori-a, you're imaginating. Byee!" Younhee said before go to her own seperate ways.

"Did i?" Hyori start doubting.

                                                                       ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

It's been a week and Hyori already found a way to communicate with her deskmate. But she haven't found the reason why he's so quiet. And she always cought the boy next to her are looking at her..almost all the time. ALMOST. except for PE class (even sometimes he did that too) and for computer class. (his eyes on the screen ALL THE TIME)

Hey, i'm bored. 

Hyori wrote it on a note and slip it to Myungsoo's desk.

You're talkative remember?

A note slip back to Hyori's desk.

You're so quiet and cold remember?

Thanks for reminding.

No problem.

The note didnt make it to Hyori's desk. So she write a new one.

What should we do?

this time the note make it's way back to Hyori's desk.

What do you mean what should we do?

" Ahn Hyori, Kim Myungsoo. What's that paper is about? Give it to me." Mr. Jung said.

"Aniya.." Hyori said put the paper in the desk.

"Both of you, detention after school." said Mr. Jung and start teaching again.

There's a lot of murmurs and eyes looking at Hyori and Myungsoo.

"Daebak. Kim myungsoo just got detention!"

"That Hyori really something eh?"

"Myungsoo talk?"

"This is a rare events!"

"History be made"

"Sorry." Hyori whisper to the boy next to her and she just received a nod.

                                                                            ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

*Myungsoo's POV*

"Both of you, detention after school." said Mr. Jung and start teaching again.

Detention? with this girl? not bad. might find myself enjoying it.

It's been a week since she seated next to me. And each day i find her more attractive than ever. Well i admit she's not as smart as i am but..She's worth talking to. 

"Sorry." she whisper to me and i just nodded with a smile.

                                                                            ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

"So...mind telling me why are you so quiet and cold and meanie and smart and cold-" 

"You said cold twice." why did i say a word. Myungsoo say to himself.

"You spoke!!" Hyori gasp.

Now there's only two of them cleaning the classroom for detention from Mr. Jung.

"Actually, if you're more talkative, you seems a good person to hang out with." Hyori said.

"I know right. sometime i hate myself because i push away all people." This time he said it. a long full sentence.

"Why you push all people away?" Hyori asked getting interested.

No response. His private zone? maybe im asking too private?

"And why are you always looking at me?" this time Hyori is really curious.

"I'm not."

"You are. always red-handed." 

"Fine. You're interesting." 

What did he just said?

"Pardon?" Hyori asked.

"Interesting as in arousing curiosity or interest; holding or catching the attention." he explain.

"i know what interesting is, but why?" Hyori asked.

"You're talkative. Never in my life, i've been seated next to the most talkative girl in school." he said sitting at one of the table.

"Can't blame me." Hyori said raising both of her hands up.

"You're cute, funny, and kind." he said.

"Why are you confessing all of sudden?" Hyori just dumb founded.

"Actually i've been watching you since 2 years ago. When we're at the same class for the first time." he said.

"Let me get this straight, do you like me?" Hyori asked 

"yes."

"And you talked to me because you like me?" Hyori asked again.

"yes."

"So you talked based on people you like-wait, WHAT? YOU LIKE ME?" Hyori just digest what did he said and what did she ask.

"mm" he nodded his head.

"B-but....." Hyori are losing her mind.

"What? why am i so quiet and cold?" he asked.

"Answer that." Hyori said.

"Well, i have this cancer disease...In my mind, why should i make friends when in the end i left them?" he said.

"But..everyone will leave their friends too.." Hyori said sitting in the table next to him.

"It's lonely..and people doesn't really make effort to talk to me. Until you came." he explain.

"My mouth feels itchy if i dont talk a word for one day. how can you endure it?" Hyori asked innocently.

"I'm talkative at home and near my friends." he said mess Hyori's hair.

"Infinite?" Hyori asked.

"They're just like you. They make effort. And now you're just added to my special people list." he said and smile.