A Prayer Under The Moonlight

That Little Wish

 

 

Saengil chuka hamnida
Saengil chuka hamnida
Sarang haneun oori Jongin
Saengil chuka hamnida

The sound of very loud clapping was heard in the entire room. People were smiling, laughing, and congratulating the boy who had just blown the candle on his cake.

"Happy birthday, Jongin-ah! We love you so much, our Dear!"

Jongin was kissed on each cheek by his father and mother. He blushed. He was embarrassed for being kissed like that by his parents, in front of many people. For God's sake, he was ten years old already!

"Happy birthday, Kkamjong! I hope your skin will be as white as snow someday!"

Jongin punched Sehun's shoulder. Sehun roared with laughter and his laughter invited people to laugh together with him. Jongin rolled his eyes, Sehun's antic never vanished but grew horribly over the time.

"Happy birthday, Jongin-ah! Be a good boy! Study hard!"

Joonmyeon smiled widely to him, making Jongin's cheeks red again. Joonmyeon chuckled and ruffled Jongin's raven hair.

"Don't you wanna cut the cake or not? I will die waiting for you to finally cut it."

Sehun's remark made people laugh again, making Jongin roll his eyes once more. He cut the cake and handed it to his parents first, feeding them with red face as flashes from the cameras captured the lovely moments. Sehun almost choked with his half cut cake upon seeing Jongin's tomato face.

His parents then announced the people in the party to have the cake by themselves. Jongin exhaled and quickly dashed to the couch in the corner. He didn't like being the center of attention, even in the middle of his own party. He wanted to be alone for a while, breathing relievedly in not so crowded place.

However, his wish to have a space for himself was not granted. His house was full of family, relatives, and friends attending his party. He kept bumping to someone and ended up hearing, "Congratulations, Jongin," along with either pat on the shoulder, ruffle on hair, or pinch on the cheek.

Jongin shrugged. He never liked birthday party. He liked the cake and the food. He loved blowing the candle. He was just too shy to have all eyes on him.

 

Jongin finally got his last piece of solitude when the party was over. He was lying on the bed, opening a mountain of presents he received from people coming to his party before.

"From Eomma and Appa .... Four tickets to Alladin Ballet Performance! Wow! This is cool! I wonder if it is as good as the Nutcracker one I watched last time!"

Jongin kept the tickets inside his diary, not wanting it to lose them.

"From Sehun-ah and Joonmyeon-hyung .... Yeay!! Bumblebee robot! Suho will be very happy to have a friend! And ..., bleah ..., what's this?"

Jongin frowned at 100 Facts of World You Will Never Know.

"This must be from Joonmyeon-hyung. Oh my .... What a nerd ...."

Jongin kept opening the prizes he had before him. Poster of OXE, a very famous band in Korea right now from Luhan-ge, his cousin; a new video game disc from Jongdae, his other bestfriend at school; another video game disc from Minseok, his little cousin; new T-Shirt from Taeyeon-noona; a pair of purple dancing shoes from Hyoyeon-noona and still many more. His expression varied from happy, ecstatic, double ecstatic, okay, eyes-rolling, glad, face-palming, and many more. He liked some of them, he disliked a half of them, and he treasured a few of them.

Knock, knock.

"Jongin, are you still awake?" his mother came inside his room.

"I'll be sleeping in a moment, Eomma."

"Good boy. Sleep soon, okay. You have to go to school tomorrow."

His mother kissed his hair and said happy birthday once more before she left the room. Jongin got up and moved to his study desk. He put all of the presents he got on its surface. He could sort them tomorrow. He changed his clothes into pajamas and brushed his teeth before dragging his feet to the bed.

Even if he was tired and sleepy already, Jongin couldn't close his eyes. He felt hot inside his room. His air conditioner was broken and still being repaired. He sighed. He woke up from the bed and shifted to the window at the end of his bed. When he opened it, a cool, soft breeze flew into him, refreshing him. He closed his eyes for a moment, seeping the serenity that was brought by the wind. He opened his eyes, lifted his head up, and saw moon on the sky.

Beautiful was an understating word for the moon tonight. It was full round, silvery white, shining ethereal light to earth, making everything look like it belonged to the land of faeries. Jongin was mesmerized.

Something glistening on the side of his desk caught his attention. Jongin walked to the desk and found something he had been keeping for years with longing.

It was a beautiful wing shaped badge. It was green in colour, which was shiny under the moonlight. He rubbed the surface of the badge, on a name that was embossed on it, the name of the person of which the badge belonged to.

Do Kyungsoo.

Jongin sighed, remembering the memory of five years ago. The moment when he was bullied by two kids from this neighborhood, Chanyeol and Baekhyun. A kind-hearted, handsome boy saved him from them. Because of the kind-hearted boy, those bullies never picked on him anymore. He dropped his badge when he left Jongin. Jongin never had a chance to return it and properly said thank you.

All these five years, Jongin always thought of him. He carried the badge everywhere with the hope that he would find the boy. However, nothing happened. He still didn't know his whereabout. He still lost him.

Jongin took the badge and walked to his bed, sitting by the window. He united his hands, the badge inside them, and closed his eyes. Today was his birthday, there was probably a miracle happening today. Maybe God in Heaven saw him, feeling generous because today was his birthday. Facing the bright, silver full moon on the sky, he chanted his prayer in his heart.

Dear God,

Thank you for giving me everything. I have a very wonderful family. Thank you for giving me Appa and Eomma. Thank you for giving me Sehun and Joonmyeon-hyung. I really love them. May You give them happiness all the time.

Dear God,

Please let me meet that kind-hearted Hyung. Let me return this badge to him. I promise You I would be a good boy. I will eat everything Eomma cooks and obey what Eomma and Appa tell me. I will study hard and be a diligent student. Please grant my wish. Thank you, God.

Jonging lied down on his bed, leaving his windows half opened. Feeling wishful, he put the badge in his hand and pressed it into his chest. The moon was shining beautifully. It was smiling at the little boy whose eye lids began to close and drift to the realm of dream, dreaming of his meeting with a kind-hearted boy who had stolen his heart.

 

:)     :)     :)     :)     :)

 


May 28, 2014

 

I am extremely, extremely touched by the response I got for this story. SO MANY SUBSCRIBERS joined the crew! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THAT! I am having headache right now but I am able to update because I think of you guys and this is the least thing for trying to make you happy. I am really, really, really sorry if the story is not as good as you thought. This is what I thought and I just wanna keep it that way. Even if this is not really good, I hope it gives you some enjoyment in reading it, even if it is just a tiny little fragment in your heart. :)

Comment please. I need to know how you feel about the story. :)

 

Schandelierre