Chapter 1

Shadow of Perfection [Hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

                       I walked through the vast hallway of my school with my head held down. I could feel the students' lingering stares at my way, full of envy and jealousy; some with pure admiration, the pressure of their stares were weighing down on me as the moment passed by. I could hear gasps from the girls as if they were stunned by something striking and the boys were whispering like how gossipers would do, how ironic. I smiled to myself, people are so weird, I thought. They easily get attracted by things that are pleasing to the eyes and envy them the next. I shook my head, I was the same, in fact, I was the perfect example of it.

 

                        I peeked at the person in front of me. Even her back was emanating elegance and confidence enough to intimidate me and make me cower like a daunted child behind her back. Chorong, Park Chorong was her name, my perfect unnie. Every time she would walk past people, they would gasp and whisper to each other, of how they envied her or how much they admired her. She would just nod their way and smile at them, she looked like the sweetest thing on earth.

 

                         The people were looking at my way but were not seeing me. They felt envy, jealousy and admiration but those weren't meant for me, but to the impeccable being in front of me.

 

                          I sighed for the third time, I was completely invisible when I was with her but non-existent when I wasn't I stopped on my tracks when I noticed her stopped too. She faced me furrowing her brows.

 

                         "I'm counting how many times you're sighing. And it's the third time already." She stated, pouting at me. 'What's the problem, Seohyun?" she softened a bit and held my shoulders, her eyes full of worry.

"There's nothing wrong, Chorong unnie." I felt guilty worrying her, when in fact it was just my inferiority complex that's the problem.

 

But she didn't buy it, she kept on prying but I couldn't tell her that truth.

 

"Okay, I give up. It's just because of a math problem I can't solve." I lied, it wasn't the first time I lied to her and every time I do that to her, I feel guilt eating me up making me feel even smaller.

"Oh, is that so? Then shall I help you later?' she smiled sincerely.

 

I nodded and she tapped my shoulder gently. "I thought it's something serious, you worried me there."

                                     "I'm sorry for worrying you unnie."

"There's no need to be sorry Seohyun. If you have problems you can always come to your unnie." She muttered proudly.

"Yes unnie" I beamed, somewhat her statement made me feel light but at the same time I knew I couldn't tell her anything, especially when it's about her.

 

I watched her as her silhouette slowly disappeared at the long corridor. I sighed again before entering my designated room. The students were all busy with their things, chatting, laughing, and running around like five year old kids and whatnot. I silently made my way to my seat at the back, so that no one would notice me. But who was I kidding? Nobody would notice me even if I make a big fuss in this entire labyrinth, well, maybe except for the person poking my forehead right now.

 

"What?" I irritatingly asked her with my hand on the pen she was using to poke me.

"You look like a grandma there, with all the wrinkles forming on your forehead and that black framed eye glasses you're wearing.'" She stated matter of factly.

 

I suddenly became aware of how I looked like and adjusted my glasses.

 

"Jung Daeun, I don't go to school to look like a model or anything." I said, taking my books out of my bag one by one.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter