Final

Paper Cranes

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Most of us probably have a short attention span and knowing that this one-shot is really long, I just hope you’ll have the patience until you reach the last word. I just don’t know how to divide it in chapters and I really didn’t want to so yeah. Enjoy nonetheless if you wished to continue. ^ ^ Don’t forget to leave your feedbacks too. :) Please give this one-shot a chance. /cues in BAPs One Shot; smacked.

P.S. /dies. Oh my God, so I just found out after finishing this story that Chanyeol used to fold paper cranes, I— click. I never even knew. ; w ; 

Legends has it that if one was able to fold one thousand paper cranes, he is granted a wish.

Park Chanyeol was once a very cheerful boy. He was everyone’s sunshine, able to brighten up anybody’s day. His smiles and laughs were always contagious and he was full of humor and optimism. At such a young age, he was great at giving courage to other people who has low self-esteem. He was a virus, a very good one.

   But that was three years ago. When he reached high school, he was never the same. He was actually the total opposite: he didn’t radiate any positive aura anymore. He’s even worse than what he had become. No more sunshine, no more smiles, no more humor and optimism . . . He’s become just another lifeless soul, an empty shell. Someone who was just living his life for the sake of being alive even though he felt like he’s long dead. If he knew this was going to happen, he’d trade his life with his sister. He’d be the one in a coma and would eventually die and his sister would continue to live.

   In his whole high school life, nobody had seen him smile. Those people who knew the old Park Chanyeol, those whom he was able to encourage and share happiness with, didn’t even have the guts to be there for him because they were scared. They thought, or even knew, that he’s been suffering from depression but he didn’t mind. When he used to make people happy, Chanyeol never asked for something in return and he didn’t want anything like that now. He didn’t need their pity; they can just go to hell if they wanted to. He just didn’t care anymore; whether if he saw someone crying in the corner, someone getting bullied in the hallway, someone falling on the ground, or someone running out of the school campus to get on an ambulance. The old Park Chanyeol would care but that Park Chanyeol people know of was dead.

   His soul died together with his sister.

   Although it reminded him of his failure, Park Chanyeol never stopped making paper cranes. Whenever he was free, bored, or just didn’t have anything better to do, he’d pull out his colorful stacks of square sheets of paper and start making paper cranes. Some people who don’t understand would find it childish of him but he never cared less. Making paper cranes was the only thing that made him happy. It reminded him of his sister because she was the one who taught him how to make them. She was the one who shared that Japanese legend; that if one was able to fold one thousand paper cranes, he is granted a wish. Whenever Chanyeol made paper cranes, he forgot everything and it gave him a sense of peace but once he’s done with making them, reality would flood back and he would realize that there was no way for him to save his sister anymore. He would realize that he failed to make one thousand paper cranes and wish for his sister to wake up.

   What makes him happy when he’s sad is still what makes him sad.

   That’s why after finishing one paper crane,—or more, if he got carried away—he’d just leave it there. But little did he know that a certain girl always took them after he’s gone.

   Her name is Choi Jinri, a tenth grader. Ever since she was in middle school, she’s taken a liking towards Park Chanyeol. She was new in school that time, a seventh grader, and Chanyeol was a ninth grader. He was kind enough as to show her around the school because she got lost; he even accompanied her to her classroom. She was a total stranger but Chanyeol helped her nonetheless. From that day on, she knew she had a crush on him. After a few months, she saw him making paper cranes and she would watch him from afar. After their first encounter, that was already their last as well. Since Chanyeol was her senior, she couldn’t just jump right in front of him and ask to be friends.

   Jinri didn’t know what happened when he started leaving those paper cranes behind after finishing them because he used to bring them with him. She also noticed how he’s changed. The Chanyeol she knew always brought joy to everybody. He was actually the reason why she’s what she was now, she was following his footsteps. She’s got a lot of friends and hoobaes look up to her. All thanks to the one person she’s been admiring the most. So she got worried when she saw his drastic change; his smiles, his laughter, his encouragements, his cheerful and positive behavior . . . all gone like a burst of a bubble. Just like that. She didn’t know why but she badly wanted to be there for him but all she could do was take those paper cranes and treasure them.

   It had been three years and Jinri knew that soon enough, Chanyeol was going to graduate high school. He’s going to graduate soon yet he still didn’t know that she existed, that she feels something for him; that she wanted to be there for him. He never even got her name on their first meeting. If she took it step by step, would she be able to make their paths cross?

“Class dismissed,”

   The folding of books, stacking of papers, screeching of chairs, zipping of bags, and chatting of students were instantly heard together with the school bell.

   Chanyeol blew out some air and played with the beak of his paper crane while his other hand rested below his chin. Knowing that it was the last period, all he could think about was going home. He didn’t even bother listening to the teacher because of it so he entertained himself by making a paper crane. But since he was too engrossed on staring at his creation, he didn’t even realize that the moment he had been waiting for had finally arrived. What was he going to do at home again? Well, do his homework, as per usual. People would find it boring and they’d eventually get lazy with even the thoughts of it but Chanyeol was different. He placed it in mindset to just “get things over and done with.” Others would think that even though he’s gone “depressed”, he was really doing well academically but they were all wrong. Chanyeol did these things lifelessly, he didn’t even know he was doing them.

   For himself, he was just another living dead.

   Chanyeol blinked when the paper crane fell from his table. He had been subconsciously playing with its beak to the point that his forefinger was already sending it on the edge. He bent to take it and when he sat up straight, he finally realized that he was the only one left inside the classroom. Still with a straight face on, he stood, stuffed his notebooks inside his bag, and zipped it up. He swung it over his shoulder and gathered his books in one arm; he also took the paper crane without realizing it.

   Just as when he stepped out of the classroom, he suddenly collided with someone, causing for the things they’ve been carrying to drop on the floor. Chanyeol just stood there, blankly looking down at the girl and the books scattered around her. Basing on the impact, it seemed that she was in a hurry and Chanyeol was just too dead to even fall on the floor as well.

   “I’m sorry,” The girl quickly apologized as she gathered her books. “I’m so sor—” She looked up and wasn’t able to continue her apologies when she found out that it was Park Chanyeol she just bumped into.

   The boy didn’t fail to notice her face coloring in pink. What, also scared of me? He nonchalantly bent down to retrieve his books, not paying attention to the girl who seemed to have herself frozen at the sight of him. The last thing he knew, he didn’t have snakes for hair and a curse to have someone freeze when one’s eyes come in contact with his. After gathering his books, he stood and started to leave.

   Jinri was nothing but surprised. She couldn’t believe she just bumped into Park Chanyeol and suddenly forgot why she was running in the hallway. But he’s leaving! But she had to leave too! Jinri looked down, the hope of finally getting Chanyeol to notice her suddenly subsiding, when she noticed the white paper crane on the floor. She quickly took it. “W-Wait,”

   Chanyeol stopped walking but he didn’t turn to look at her.

   Jinri gathered the rest of her books, wasting no time, and stood, half-walking-half-running towards the taller boy. When she reached his side, she showed him the paper crane he made and said, “You forgot this.”

   Chanyeol blankly stared at the paper crane as if it was something alien to him then started to walk, leaving the girl behind. “You can throw it away if you want.” He didn’t even turn to look at her though he thought that the girl looked quite familiar.

   When he reached home, Chanyeol just passed by his mother, who tried to ask how his school day was, and headed directly upstairs to his room. It wasnt like he meant to do it, he just didn’t hear her because of the booming music playing on his headphones. He placed his books on top of his study table and sat on his chair; he zipped his bag open to grab his notebooks and get his homework over and done with. It was a Friday and the assignments he was about to work on were due next week but since he didn’t want to be bothered by them on the weekends, he’ll just deal with it to waste no time. He’ll wash up later after he’s done with the homework.

   After a few hours of doing his assignments and reviewing his notes, he stretched his arms and torso. Just one more homework and he’s done. But when he was about to take the book he needed to accomplish it, he couldn’t find it. Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows and tried to remember where he left it because hes sure he was able to take it with him. “Ah, .” He mumbled when the girl earlier crossed his mind. She must have gotten it when their books fell on the floor. Oh well, Chanyeol just shrugged it off. The last homework was due next Thursday. He can work on it in the library on Monday. So after deciding that he’s done for the day, he stood and went inside the bathroom to shower up.

“Umma,” Jinri kissed her mother on the forehead after placing her things down on the couch. She cautiously watched the nurse jot down some notes and records on her clipboard and adjust the IV bag on its hook. Mrs. Choi smiled sadly as she leaned on her daughter’s side; she was seated on the chair next to the bed and Jinri was standing beside her. “How’s Sanyi?”

   It was the nurse who answered her. “Your little brother’s fine, Miss Jinri.” She said with a small smile. “He just had one of the seizures but we’ve checked up on him already and he’s perfectly fine.”

   “Do you know when he’s going to wake up?” Jinri went to bend down beside his sleeping brother and caressed his hair. He was the reason why she was in a hurry earlier. Right after the dismissal bell rang, her mother called on her daughter’s cellphone and told her to come to the hospital as soon as possible because her brother was having seizure attacks again.

   The nurse just shook her head quietly, not knowing how to answer the girl.

   “It’s been months,” Jinri sighed and turned to her brother. She kissed his cheek and softly whispered on his ear. “Baby boy, wake up soon, arasseo?”

   “Your brother’s still young,” The nurse gently placed a hand on Jinri’s arm. “It won’t be soon but he’ll wake up. I know he’s a strong man.”

   Jinri turned to look at the nurse and gave her a faint but sincere smile. “Thank you,”

   The nurse bowed. “I’ll take my leave now. Just press the caller and we’ll come rushing, alright?” When she received a nod from both the mother and the daughter, she finally left.

   “The expenses . . .”

   Jinri didn’t fail to hear what her mother had uttered so she turned to her and said, “I’m really willing to stop going to school, umma. We can use my tuition fee to pay the expenses needed here in the hospital.”

   “No, Jinri.” Her mother firmly said. It had always been her answer whenever Jinri told her she can stop going to school. Yes, the pay her mother received from working as a housekeeper wasn’t enough. She had even tried applying for janitorial services on hotels and malls and the hospital itself but they still couldn’t meet up the expenses but that didn’t mean she’d let her daughter give up on her dreams. Mrs. Choi also worked hard for her children’s tuition fee so she couldn’t just let her hard work come to waste and have Jinri drop out of school.

   Jinri tried to help as well, of course. Within three months, she became a waitress, a baby sitter, and a cashier all at once even though she was a minor. All it took was for her to beg her employers to accept her and although it had crushed her pride, she didn’t care so as long as she’ll be able to help her mother. So Jinri would study at daylight and do her homework every free time and work at night and on weekends. That’s the least thing she can do if her mother wouldn’t allow her to stop attending school.

   Three months ago, while Jinri was being anxious in class, a teacher from kindergarten suddenly rushed inside their classroom. He asked if Jinri could be excused and that alone had sent her heart into a pounding marathon. Could that be the reason why she suddenly felt that something bad happened? She quickly stood and went outside with the teacher and when the teacher told her that her four-year-old brother, Sanyi, got into an accident, they all sprinted outside the campus where an ambulance was waiting. The teacher had told her that Sanyi and his friends were playing in the playground when Sanyi suddenly slipped on a wet pavement and his head got in contact with a big rock.

   The moment Jinri saw his brother lying down on the stretcher inside the ambulance, the pillow filled with blood and his head wrapped with a bandage, she paled and fear flooded her senses. She tried waking Sanyi up but the teacher said that ever since the accident, the little boy remained unconscious.

   After being diagnosed, the doctor had told Jinri and her mom, who had rushed in the hospital as well upon receiving the news, that their little boy had a traumatic brain injury due to the impact of his fall. Mrs. Choi fainted after that. A traumatic brain injury can cause instant death but they were all thankful that at least, Sanyi was just in a coma and was still alive and breathing. But what worried everyone the most was what would happen to Sanyi once he woke up? The doctor had already warned them to be prepared once something went wrong with the boy because traumatic brain injury may cause a lot of effects if not death. The boy, once awoken, could get paralyzed, can lose his hearing or sight, have amnesia, and a lot more.

   Jinri and her mother couldn’t take it. They didn’t know what they’d do if they lost their little boy. They’ve lost a husband and father once and that’s enough for them. They wouldn’t take it if they lost Sanyi too.

It was a Sunday afternoon and Chanyeol was strolling around the streets of Seoul when he saw someone familiar inside a café. He stopped on his tracks and watched her scurry here and there to take the customers’ orders. He tilted his head to the side and went inside the place after the door automatically slid open.

   Jinri heard the door ding and greeted the newcomer with a bright smile, “Annyeonghasaeyo! Welcome to Caf—” She wasn’t able to finish her sentence when she saw the tall boy on the same place as she was; she was surprised because she didn’t expect to see him there, let alone inside a café. She also noticed that he was already staring at her when she looked up at him.

   “Do you have a habit of cutting your sentence off?” Chanyeol asked in a monotonous voice, despite it being low and husky, as he found a vacant seat near the display of cakes.

   “No, I—” Jinri stopped. She what? She just can’t help it because it seemed that her words get caught in whenever she saw him? Her mind just suddenly went blank at the sight of him? She just suddenly got tongue-tied? She can’t even believe that the Park Chanyeol was actually talking to her!

   Chanyeol looked up at her and raised an eyebrow. That’s when the girl realized that she had cut her sentence off midway again. She didn’t even know that Chanyeol can see her cheeks already glowing in pink again; that amused him.

   She can feel her heart skyrocketing. “I-I um . . .” Say something that makes sense! Jinri screamed inside her head and cleared . “I didn’t know you like sweets.”

   “Who ever said I like sweets?” The boy wouldn’t admit it but he found that it might be fun messing with the girl in front of him.

   Jinri would have facepalmed herself if it weren’t for the pen and notepad she was holding. Duh, she thought. So much for saying something that made sense, it only made me look like an idiot. And how was she supposed to know if Chanyeol liked sweets or not? It’s not like they were close. This is even actually the first time she and him had a “decent” conversation—aside from the time when Chanyeol toured Jinri around the school three years ago. She pressed her lips together and gave a nod, bending her knees slightly for a second. “Right, um . . .”

   “Were you, by any chance, at the convenient store yesterday?”

   “What?” Jinri blinked and remembered if she were then nodded, “Yeah.”

   “As a cashier, right?”

   Jinri thought her face was already on fire. She didn’t see him anywhere yesterday, how did he know? Then again, if you apply common sense into it, she was working on a public convenient store. Of course, he’ll know.

   Chanyeol let out a low chuckle as he saw the conflict written on the girl’s face. It’s not like he was stalking her or anything. It’s just that he often saw her at the convenient store and inside the café whenever he passed by that’s why he thought she looked familiar when they bumped into each other.

   If it were possible for all the blood inside Jinri’s body to rush up to her face, that was exactly how she felt that moment when she heard Chanyeol chuckle. It was the first time in three years that she saw something lightened up his face and she couldn’t help but feel happy and honored to have finally seen that once again. “Y-Yeah . . .” She stuttered, “I work there.”

   “Yes, it’s obvious.” Chanyeol shrugged, “You work here too, right?”

   Jinri nodded, afraid that if she said something, he’ll troll her again.

   “Aren’t you going to take my order then?”

   Well, even if she didn’t say anything, she’d get trolled either way. Jinri cleared and lifted up her pen and notepad, praying that her shaking hands weren’t as obvious as it seemed. “W-What’s your order, sir?”

   Chanyeol stared at the girl for awhile and leaned back on his chair, averting his attention on the cakes displayed near him. “Just a cup of cappuccino,”

   Jinri didn’t even need to jot that down so she once again couldn’t help it but feel stupid. She quickly shut her eyes and bit her lower lip before bowing and returning behind the counter where she received a pinch on her ear for taking her time, chatting with a customer.

   While waiting for his order, Chanyeol took out a folded piece of paper from his jacket and unfolded it. He was too lazy to bring his backpack so he decided to just pocket pieces of paper so he could make paper cranes when he felt the urge to. When Jinri saw him folding a paper, she immediately knew he was going to make a paper crane. She smiled at the sight of him because she can see that serene expression she always saw whenever he turned an ordinary piece of paper into a simple but amazing art.

   When she was done, Jinri approached Chanyeol with his order. He was already on his fifth paper crane when he noticed the cup being placed down on the table. He shifted his eyes on the cappuccino and saw a drawing on the foam. It was a smiley face with big ears. Jinri gulped when Chanyeol didn’t say anything about her drawing. She feared that it offended the boy even when it wasn’t her intention at all. “Um,” she gulped. “I-It’s actually meant to make you smile . . .” Jinri bit her lower lip.

   “Are my ears really that big?” Chanyeol looked up at her with big, wondering eyes—the coldness gone—that it made the girl blush. He looked really handsome.

   “N-Not exactly . . . ?” Jinri scratched her head and winced when her employer hissed her name. “I-I have to go . . .” She quickly bowed and turned around. She was scared that she’ll get fired because of talking to him.

   “Hey,” Chanyeol spoke on his usual low voice and when Jinri looked back at him, he was smiling. It didn’t really reach his eyes but it did show his dimple and that certain smile made the air in her lungs leave her body. Is that why people say “you take my breath away”? “Thanks,” he said, raising his cup. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

   “T-Tomorrow . . .” Jinri repeated, stuttering in the process. What was tomorrow again? Right, it’s Monday. They have classes but did he really say he’ll see me tomorrow?

   “Don’t forget my book; I can’t do my homework without it.”

   His book, Jinri blinked and “ah”-ed when she remembered that she did have his book. She must have accidentally taken it when they bumped into each other. Jinri wouldn’t say it but she did think of using that book to her advantage on finally approaching Chanyeol. She would have used it as an excuse to talk to him again but it seemed that luck was on her side. “Right,” she nodded. “Yeah, the book . . . I, um . . . Yeah, see you.” And then she quickly left before making a fool out of herself.

At lunch time, it didn’t take Jinri long enough to spot Chanyeol around the campus because wherever he goes, she goes. That had been her specialty for three years already and this time, she wasn’t just going to watch him from afar; she was actually going to approach him and watch him up close. When she saw Chanyeol on one of the school gazebos, it actually made her step back and turn around, hugging the book to her chest. Her heart was pounding so hard and she couldn’t breathe properly. Calm down! She screamed inside and heaved a deep breath. Upon releasing it, she turned back around and decided to finally approach the boy.

   Chanyeol was so concentrated on making his second paper crane that he didn’t notice Jinri’s presence. Not until her voice broke his reverie.

   “You’re making paper cranes again,” she said, smiling.

   Chanyeol looked up at her, his cold eyes meeting her. When he realized it was the cashier-waitress girl, he leaned back and tapped the beak of his paper crane. “Yeah,” was the only thing he said.

   “Um, you left around seven paper cranes at the café yesterday.”

   “Yeah.”

   Jinri didn’t know what else to say because she felt that Chanyeol seemed to be in no mood to talk so she just placed his book down on the table and said, “Here’s your book. I’m sorry, I didn’t know I took it.”

   “It’s alright, thanks.” Chanyeol responded but he didn’t take the book. He just stared at the paper crane.

   Jinri watched him as he marveled on the sight of the paper cranes he made. He always seemed so lost in his own world and it made the girl wonder what made those paper cranes so special to Chanyeol to the point of making them almost every day only to have them left on wherever he made them. Since Jinri knew she had no more business with Chanyeol, she frowned because it might be once again their last conversation together. She pressed her lips together and smiled, “I’ll go now then, sunbae.” She bowed.

   Chanyeol blinked and looked up at Jinri, “Sunbae?”

   When Jinri realized that she had never ever introduced herself to Park Chanyeol, she resisted the urge to facepalm herself by sticking a hand out. “Choi Jinri, from tenth grade.”

   The boy looked at her extended hand as if trying to comprehend as to what he was going to do with it. Jinri was about to put her hand down when she noticed Chanyeol raising his hand to shake hers. A sudden jolt of electricity rushed from their hands up to Jinri’s arm, directly hitting her heart, and she wondered if Chanyeol felt that too. She glanced up at him and found that he was staring at their hands without any hint of whether or not he was going to let go so she cleared to get him back to reality because he seemed to always space out a lot.

   “Ah, Park Chanyeol.” He introduced and finally retrieved his hand, “Twelfth grade.”

   “I know,” said Jinri and when the boy shot her a confused look, she blushed and looked around, avoiding eye contact with him. “I-I mean, well . . . Y-You’re pretty popular s-so . . . Yeah . . .”

   “I see,” Chanyeol nodded. “Have you eaten lunch yet?”

   “N-Not yet,” Jinri shook her head.

   “Me too,” He stood from where he sat and took his book. “Let’s eat. You’ve been standing there since you came here.”

   “W-Wha—” It took quite awhile for Jinri to understand that Chanyeol was actually inviting her to eat lunch with him. Wait, that’s how you interpret it, right?

   “Are you coming with me?”

   Jinri blinked and saw that Chanyeol had already made his way out of the gazebo. She was about to follow when she caught the paper cranes on the corner of her eyes. “Your paper cranes,” she pointed at them on the table.

   “You can leave it there.”

   “Can I have them?”

   A pause then: “Yeah, sure. Whatever.”

   Eating with Chanyeol was like eating alone because neither he nor Jinri was talking but it wasn’t awkward either. People might even find it weird if they found out that Jinri was actually enjoying his company. He looked like a kid, eating his bowl of ramyeon, as if he wasn’t able to eat breakfast earlier. The only thing that bothered the girl the most are the eyes that lingered on them, eyes that are asking why they were eating together. Chanyeol was known as someone who didn’t have friends; known as someone who never gave a damn to the world so it was surprising for most of the students to see him with someone, let alone a girl. Jinri looked down at her bowl but even as she did so, she could feel the gazes boring holes into her body. Is it really that big of a deal? If a certain person didn’t have any friends, shouldn’t they be left ignored? But the thing was she’s Choi Jinri. She’s popular amongst tenth graders and to see her hanging out with a twelfth grader, and Park Chanyeol to be specific, was something shocking and new for them.

   “Are you ashamed to be seen eating with me?” Chanyeol spoke, keeping his head down and twirling the noodles around his chopsticks.

   “Wha—Of course not,”

   “Do their gazes bother you?”

   Jinri was surprised that he also noticed. “Somehow . . . but it’s not a big deal, really.” She shook her head.

   “Can we do this again tomorrow then? Eating together, I mean.” He looked up at her.

   Jinri blushed at his offer and she found herself tongue-tied, not only because he wanted to eat with her again but because he was looking at her like that; with those big eyes full of wonder again. “O-Of course, why not?”

   Chanyeol stared at her for awhile and looked down to resume eating his ramyeon, a small smile forming on his lips.

For the past few weeks, Chanyeol and Jinri hung out and ate together at lunch. Sometimes, the boy would visit her on the café on Sundays. It was a quiet friendship; they didn’t talk much, but Jinri didn’t seem to mind; he didn’t mind either. Although they didn’t exchange words too much, Chanyeol still enjoyed her company. Jinri was peaceful to be with and sometimes, he had fun teasing her. It was also surprising for him when she never complained about him making paper cranes out of the blue and leaving them behind right after; she would even ask him if she could have them instead.

   Even though they’ve been friends for quite awhile, the two didn’t know a lot about each other. They never shared anything about their personal lives. They only talked about the tests they took, the assignments they got, how boring this subject was, some other random things that come up in mind, and whatnot. That’s why when Chanyeol saw Jinri running on the hallway, passing by his classroom, he got a bit worried. The expression on her face didn’t look too good either. She looked scared . . . panicked, even.

   The only things he knew about Jinri was that she worked at the convenient store on Monday and Tuesday nights, and whole day on Saturdays if she didn’t have any kids to babysit with, and at the café from Wednesday to Friday nights and whole day on Sundays. Chanyeol wanted to know more about the cashier-waitress girl because she seemed to work a lot and she was the only person who ever had the courage to talk to and hang out with him. She didn’t look too intimidated whenever she’s with him . . . or at least, not anymore. And he could tell that she was still herself when she’s with him; no pretentions and not even forced. Whenever she’s not around, he found himself looking for her, asking himself how she’s doing, or if she’s alright. He knew he’s starting to value her too. It had been a long time since he felt that way.

   One Wednesday, classes were only half day because the teachers had a meeting on the afternoon. It seemed that luck was on Chanyeol’s side when Jinri told him she had a day off at the café that day too. When he asked her if she’d like to hang around in school,—because high school students and those younger than them were not allowed inside the malls during school hours—Jinri said yes so they spent their time going from one place to another, just walking side by side, and talking occasionally.

   When they got themselves comfortable under a cherry blossom tree, Chanyeol started to make paper cranes. Jinri was just quietly sitting beside him and leaning against the tree trunk. She watched his fingers create creases and folds on the paper and found how he’s become so professional on making those paper cranes.

   “Legends has it that if one was able to fold one thousand paper cranes, he is granted a wish.” Chanyeol said as he lifted his finished paper crane up. He then looked at Jinri who was looking at the finished masterpiece. “Did you know that?”

   Jinri was quiet for awhile and then she shook her head. “I’ve never heard of it,” she confessed.

   “It’s a Japanese legend.”

   “Ah,” The girl nodded. “So I suppose you’ve folded more than one thousand cranes already?” She smiled, looking at him, though she knew the answer.

   They stared at each other for awhile before Chanyeol broke their gazes by leaning his head back at the tree trunk and looking up at the cherry blossoms. “I don’t really care,” he said.

   “Then why do you make them?”

   Chanyeol was silent for awhile, raking his mind on how he should answer, and said. “Pastime, I guess. It’s like a habit, a mannerism. I make them whenever I’m bored or got nothing better to do or . . . or whenever I’m sad,” The girl didn’t miss out on his stutter. “But I make them subconsciously most of the time. Like . . . I just make them and get surprised at myself that I’m already finished.”

   Jinri lightly chuckled and mirrored what Chanyeol did, leaning her head back against the tree tunk as well and looking up at the cherry blossoms. “So I make you bored? I don’t make you happy?” She asked, knowing that even when they were together, he still made paper cranes. She didn’t know what to feel about that. She did enjoy every single time she spent with Chanyeol so she assumed—expected even—that he did as well.

   “I didn’t mean it that way,” Chanyeol defended, sighing. “I like being with you.”

   Jinri felt her cheeks heat up at how bold he was.

   “You’re the only person who stayed with me for so long; you never left despite me being a boring person. I don’t even know how you put up with someone like me. We never talked much but you never complained either.” He confessed, “I forgot how it felt like to have someone by my side but then you came.”

   The girl listened to every single word he said and couldn’t help but fear that Chanyeol could hear the hard beating against her chest. She never expected him to say something like that, she actually even thought he’d push her away some time later but he didn’t. She turned her head to look at him and when Chanyeol noticed that from the corner of his eyes, he also did the same. They just stared at each other once again because Jinri didn’t know what to say so the boy spoke again.

   “Did you ever get scared of me?”

   Jinri furrowed her eyebrows, “Why?”

   Chanyeol shrugged a shoulder. “People usually do.”

   “What made you think I am?”

   Chanyeol chuckled a bit, remembering their first actual conversation, him asking her what made her think he liked sweets. “You used to always stutter around me. When we bumped into each other, you looked scared.” He said, “You also cut your sentence off whenever you see me. You would freeze as if I was Medusa and your hand used to shake.”

   Jinri blushed in embarrassment and looked away, seeing as the boy didn’t have any intention to. He noticed all of that? “My hand never shook,” she defended.

   “It did.” Chanyeol nodded, “Back when you were going to take my order, I saw it. Your hands were shaking. Also when you introduced yourself, your hand was shaking. I felt it too when we shook hands.” And that spark . . .

   “I . . .” Jinri closed when she found she didn’t know what else to say. Well, she couldn’t deny it. What Chanyeol said was true anyway. She rubbed a hand against her face, grumbling silently to herself. If people could die from embarrassment, she would have been long dead, I swear.

   “See?” Chanyeol laughed.

   Chanyeol laughed. For the first time in three years, Chanyeol finally laughed. Just how did Jinri do that? The girl couldn’t even believe it herself. She wanted a rewind; she wanted to hear it again because she was scared she might not be able to hear it anymore but she was sure, she was so sure, he did laugh! Can she record it too? “I . . . I wasn’t scared. I was never scared of you.”

   “What then?” The boy looked at her with a smile.

   “I was nervous . . .” Chanyeol’s smile immediately turned upside down and when Jinri noticed if from the corner of her eyes, she looked at him and said, smiling. “A good kind of nervous,”

Jinri immediately researched about the legend of the paper cranes the moment she reached home. A wish, it sounded promising. But when she read that only the person who made the paper cranes can make a wish, she felt her heart break a little. She also read that if the paper cranes were given away to another person, that doesn’t count as well. Jinri sighed and leaned back on her chair. She guessed some things are not possible after all.

Good night. :) – Chanyeol

   Then again, some things are still also possible. The boy didn’t know but he woke up the sleeping butterflies inside Jinri’s stomach when he told her those sweet things.

   “I forgot how it felt like to have someone by my side but then you came.”

   “I like being with you.”

   It felt almost like a dream but when Jinri pinched her cheek and she let out a yelp, she knew everything was real. Park Chanyeol was finally within her reach! Who would have thought, right? But it saddened her with the fact that he didn’t seem to remember who she was; that girl back in seventh grade. She replied his text message back with a “good night too!” before heading off to sleep.

   More weeks have passed and Jinri could see the changes with Chanyeol. He was starting to laugh and smile around her; he would also tell her jokes and they’d make fun of people they see around them. And while they do that, Jinri couldn’t help but let her admiration for him deepen. Maybe, Chanyeol just needed someone who’ll stick by him even if he was that way. Maybe, he changed because he wanted to see who would still stay beside him. Maybe, if people had been patient with him, they’d see this side of him too.

   And Jinri couldn’t help but feel honored and happy to witness it.

   “Why do you work so hard?” Chanyeol asked one time while they ate under the cherry blossom tree. The two have decided that they would spend their time there more often because nobody went near it and they can have their privacy. Maybe, people guessed the cherry blossom tree was too far from the school building for a hang out place; you have to go across the field to get there.

   She was about to eat when Jinri stopped her hand holding the chopsticks midway. She placed them down before speaking. “I, um . . .” She didn’t know whether to tell him that her little brother’s in a coma or not; that they needed more money to pay his hospital bills. Chanyeol’s become her best friend and she’s already told her mom about him and that he was the one who made the paper cranes she took home with her yet he still didn’t know that grave secret of hers. “Partly for my tuition fee,” she smiled. At least that’s a fact too. “I help my mom because I know she can’t do it alone after my dad died from a bus accident three years ag—” She paused and bit her lower lip to stop herself from speaking further. “I-I’m sorry,” She forced out a chuckle, looking down at her food. “I’m saying too much.”

   Chanyeol’s eyes widened at that new information. It sounded all too familiar for him. He didn’t also miss the sadness that came across Jinri’s eyes when she mentioned her father. A bus accident three years ago . . . “What happened?” He wanted to know. Was her father on the same bus as his sister? Did they lose someone very important to them together?

   Jinri looked up at Chanyeol with a pained expression. The boy thought maybe she wasn’t ready to say something so personal about her life; he’s never seen her like that before. Jinri always smiled. In fact, she was the girl who would make him laugh too. He was about to say that it was alright if she didn’t wanna answer but she did. “My dad was going home that day . . .” She turned her head and stared at the green grass on the field. “According to the news, an over-speeding truck collided with the bus my dad was in.” She bit her lip to bite back the tears. It had been so long since she last talked about the accident. “H-He died on the spot . . .” Finally, a tear escaped from her eyes.

   Chanyeol just watched her. His sister was in that bus too but she was able to live for four months but her dad . . . Jinri’s dad . . . Dead on the spot . . . yet she acted like everything was alright. Even when she lost someone dear to her, she moved on with her life. She still smiled as if nothing was wrong. And here Chanyeol was, drowned in depression when his sister died, and locked himself out from the world. He didn’t need their pity; they can just go to hell if they want to. He knew how it felt, to lose someone but maybe it just depended on how one would face it. Chanyeol gave up whereas Jinri fought. “I-I’m sorry,” was all he could say and he thought he was a horrible friend. “I didn’t know . . .”

   “Of course,” Jinri turned to him and smiled. “It doesn’t show, right? Appa told me I should always keep smiling even if I’m going through a tough time. He said a smile shows strength and gives strength. Yes, when we lost him, I cried so hard then I thought about what he said and figured . . . Hey, my dad will get sad if he sees me like this. And I didn’t want that to happen so I smiled for him and that eventually gave me strength; I even feel like he was the one who’s giving me strength through that smile.”

   “I-I never thought of that . . .” Chanyeol found himself admiring Jinri for what she’s gone through. For a girl, she remained strong. Something he was not able to do. He bet his sister had been very sad for what he had become and somehow, he felt ashamed about it. Yoora would have nagged her brother if she saw him like that. And Jinri was able to rub it on his face without her even knowing.

   “Aish, I never told anyone else about this.” Jinri laughed as she wiped her tears away. “Now, you made me miss Appa even more!”

   Chanyeol smiled and wrapped his arms around her shoulders, giving her a comforting hug, and that’s when Jinri continued to cry.

“Chanyeol-sunbae,” Jinri turned to face the taller boy as they went out of the cafeteria, a can of soda on their hands. “If you were given the chance to save someone’s life, would you take it?” She didn’t know why but that question suddenly popped out in her mind and she felt the need to ask him.

   Chanyeol knew all too well the answer to that question. He had the chance to save his sister but his best wasn’t enough. If he were given the chance again, he really would. “Yeah,” he answered.

   Jinri paused for awhile and continued. “Are you thinking of someone specific?”

   Chanyeol looked at the girl and blinked. Did she see right through him? Did she find out he lost someone close to him? “Yeah,” and after that, she didn’t push any further. That’s what he liked about Jinri. She never pried about his personal life; she just waited for him to open up to her. He wanted to tell her about his sister badly, about why he made paper cranes, about why he became what he had become but he didn’t know if he’ll be able to finish everything without breaking down. He feared that depression might take over him once again; he feared that he’ll come back to being that lifeless soul again.

   Jinri gave him all the things he needed without her knowing: strength, courage, support . . .

   Life.

   They were about to cross the field to go to their cherry blossom tree when Jinri’s cellphone rang. They stopped in the middle, the girl knowing what that call might be about, and she fished out her phone from her pocket. She slid the answer button across the screen and placed the phone on her ear.

   “Hello?”

   Chanyeol saw it again: the fear . . . the panic . . . Jinri dropped her can of soda and bolted away from him. He called for her but she didn’t even look back so he decided to follow her, worry spreading across his face. What happened now? Is there something else Jinri wasn’t telling him?

   Jinri ran and ran. Since the hospital wasn’t really that far from their school, she ran. She didn’t have any time to hail a cab so all she did was run. She knew Chanyeol was trailing behind her but she couldn’t just tell him to go away. She can’t . . . even if she wanted to. She’s told him about her dad. Maybe it’s time for him to know about her little brother too.

   When they reached the hospital, Chanyeol slowed down and widened his eyes. Why? He hated the place. This is where his sister . . . He didn’t want to step foot inside because the hospital brought back depressing memories but Jinri . . . Chanyeol groaned and forced himself to follow her. Something was wrong. Something was definitely wrong and he knew Jinri would need him.

   “Umma!” Jinri pushed the door to the Intensive Care Unit open and rushed beside her mother, despite catching her breath. She hugged her tight and looked at Sanyi. “Seizures again?”

   “Yes,” Mrs. Choi sobbed. “It’s getting more frequent. The doctors said it’s normal but it’s scaring me, Jinri . . .”

   Jinri bit her lower lip and bent down beside her brother. “Sanyi . . . Yah, don’t scare Umma like that. Don’t scare us like that, okay?” She leaned her forehead on the side of the little boy’s temple. “If you wanna wake up, please wake up . . . We miss you so much, you know? I’ve got a lot of things to tell you too. Oh, and I’ve got a surprise for you. I’m sure you’re going to like it. So please, Sanyi . . . Wake up for us.”

   Chanyeol thought it was Jinri’s mother who was in danger because of how she blurted out the word “umma” earlier but when he saw a small, frail boy lying lifelessly on the bed, it was like déjà vu all over again. For a second, he thought he saw his sister in there. He watched Jinri talk to the little boy and he stepped back. He couldn’t do it. The hospital itself was killing him enough, what more the room where his sister had once been? So without saying anything, Chanyeol left.

   The two didn’t talk the day after the incident. Jinri thought that since Chanyeol had seen her in a situation like that, he’d start ignoring her but Chanyeol just wanted to give Jinri some space. He saw something he knew he wasn’t supposed to and he didn’t want the girl to get mad at him for following her. She couldn’t blame him though because he got worried but would he still have followed her if he knew she was heading to the hospital? Then Chanyeol figured Jinri had all the right to get mad. He left her there. He followed her but left right away, without even so much of a word. He feared that what he did might have hurt Jinri so maybe, some distance from each other will be best for the both of them.

   Going back to that hospital almost broke Chanyeol down. The ringing he heard on his ear because of the quiet ambiance reminded him of the flat line and it was as if he was brought back in time, seeing himself on the floor, folding paper cranes while crying. Like a reflex, Chanyeol took a square piece of paper and started folding it. His sight was starting to blur and it felt like he was back at the hospital three years ago.

   “You promised me you were going to wait, noona . . .” Chanyeol sniffed to himself. He knew he looked stupid, crying alone on that small gazebo where Jinri returned his book but he was safe because nobody can see him cry.

   Nobody but one. Jinri remained hidden behind a wall but enough to see Chanyeol. He was folding a paper crane again. Even in the past few days, Jinri would still take the paper cranes when the boy left. She missed him badly but she didn’t know how to approach him after seeing more of her personal life. She saw the look on his face and knew he was scared. She even saw him hesitating to go inside the hospital when she turned to a corner. Chanyeol was crying at the gazebo and Jinri couldn’t help but grip her hand on the edge of the wall. It pained her to see him like that . . . He needed someone yet she couldn’t bring herself to be right beside him.

Jinri was preparing herself to leave the house so she can head to the convenient store when she heard her phone ring. She’s started to get paranoid on phone calls because she knew it always brought bad news so without thinking of looking at who the caller was, knowing as it was only her mom who calls her, she slid her finger across the screen and placed the phone against her ear.

   “Did something happen to Sanyi?” She asked urgently.

   “Jinri?

   Jinri felt her heart skip a beat when she heard that low and husky voice at the end of the line. “Ch-Chanyeol-sunbae? M-Mianhae! I thought . . . I thought you were umma, I—” She bit her lower lip. “What’s wrong?”

   “Are you free today?

   “I-I have a whole day shift at the convenient store . . .”

   “Oh,

   “I can ask for a day off though!” Jinri said quickly. “It’s been awhile since I—” hung out with you “—had my day off from the store so . . .”

   “Okay,” She can imagine him smiling on the other side. “Let’s meet at the bus station near the store.

   “A-Alright,” Jinri smiled as well and hung up. She quickly dialed the number of the convenient store and when she was allowed to have her day off, she changed into a red dress with small white polkadots and heeled white shoes. She wore a red cap and grabbed her bag then went on her way. Jinri did hope they won’t ride a bus though; she preferred to walk if so.

   When she reached the bus station, she sat on the bench provided for waiting passengers. Jinri couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous. She was finally going to be with Chanyeol again. What’s going to happen? A beep broke out her reverie and she noticed a motorcycle pulling over in front of her. The one who rode it removed his helmet and gave her a small wave with a gloved hand.

   “Ch-Chanyeol-sunbae!” Jinri stood quickly.

   Chanyeol swung a leg over the bike so he could get down. He kicked the motorcycle’s stand down for it not to fall and approached her. “Hey,” he greeted, pursing his lips and lifting one corner up on a small, shy smile, his dimple showing in the process.

   “H-Hi . . .” Why do I suddenly feel nervous?!

   “Look, I’m sorry if we didn’t talk the past few days . . .” Chanyeol started, “I saw something I knew I wasn’t supposed to and I thought I should give you some space or something.”

   Jinri shook her head and smiled, “It’s okay. It’s bound to happen anyway,”

   “Are you alright?”

   “Mm-hmm,” The girl nodded. “Thank you. So um . . . Is there something wrong?”

   “I . . . I was going somewhere and I wanted you to come with me.”

   Jinri’s eyebrows furrowed. She didn’t miss out on the sadness that came across Chanyeol’s eyes and she immediately knew there was definitely something wrong. She just nodded quietly and followed him towards the motorcycle. Jinri secretly smiled; she knew the bike all too well. She always saw Chanyeol riding in and out of the campus using that.

   “Here,” Chanyeol gave her an extra helmet which she took, and rode over the motorcycle, wearing his helmet.

   Jinri carefully placed the safety gear over her head and jumped to sit on the space behind Chanyeol. She didn’t know how she was going to hold on to Chanyeol; she didn’t have the guts to put her hands on his waist.

   “Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before?” Chanyeol asked as he made the bike roar to life. When Jinri shook her head, the boy chuckled and looked over his shoulders. He found Jinri’s hands fiddling on the hem of her dress and he took them, pulling her close to him in the process and letting her arms snake around his torso. “You have to hold on to me if you don’t wanna fall, you know?”

   “I-I . . .” Jinri was speechless. She was too close against his back and she feared Chanyeol could feel the pounding of her heart.

   “Relax,” Chanyeol said as he kicked the stand up. “Do you trust me?”

   Jinri gulped but nodded anyway. “O-Of course,”

   Chanyeol smiled even though nobody can see it over his helmet. “Let’s go then.” And he started to twist the motorcycle’s grip and drove away.

   Jinri tightened her arms around Chanyeol, but still enough for him to breath, as the motorcycle wheezed by the cars, as if racing with them. She leaned her head on Chanyeol’s back and just enjoyed the moment. She missed him so much and she was already thinking that she’s going to lose him just because they didn’t talk. If Chanyeol really left her, she wouldn’t know what to do. She was so used to him being around and he was going back to the way he was before, when he was the happy virus Chanyeol. There’s no way Jinri would want to miss out on that.

   Upon reaching the entrance of their destination, Chanyeol hesitated for awhile when he felt Jinri tighten her arms around him as if telling him she was scared. Indeed, she was. When Jinri saw that they were heading inside a cemetery, she felt herself pale and her mind panicked, asking questions like: “What are we doing here?” “Who are we visiting?” “Who died?” and much more. She didn’t question Chanyeol when they stopped by in front of a flower shop to buy a bouquet of baby’s breath but now that she finally knew where they were going, it all made sense.

   Chanyeol slowed down, asking himself if bringing Jinri with him was a good idea. He never told her anything about himself and his past. Maybe, he should have warned her or at least given her a heads up but he didn’t know how to. And that day just felt like the perfect time for him to tell Jinri everything. After awhile, he pulled over, stopped the engine of the bike, and went down as Jinri jumped off to the side. She straightened herself and clasped on the strap of her bag as she looked around; she even forgot to remove her helmet.

   “Oh, sorry.” Jinri mumbled when it was Chanyeol who removed it for her and the boy just gave him a small smile. He placed their helmets down on the seats, removed his gloves, and looked back at her.

   “I’m sorry,” he said. “For bringing you here, I just—” For the first time, Chanyeol didn’t know what to tell Jinri. He just what? Were there any other reasons why he brought her with him? He could have told her everything he wanted to say anywhere but the cemetery. He could tell her under the cherry blossom tree or on the small gazebo or on the café or anywhere else. Well, who was he kidding?

   Chanyeol needed Jinri.

   The girl shook her head and smiled, “It’s alright.”

   “Okay,” Chanyeol paused for awhile and added. “Thank you.”

   Jinri followed him up a trail until stopping on a certain tombstone. She stayed behind Chanyeol as he bent down to put the bouquet of baby’s breath by the grave. She didn’t know who he was visiting and didn’t want to look at the name. His mom? Or dad, maybe? A . . . A girlfriend?

   “I brought someone with me,” She heard Chanyeol say. Jinri watched him stand straight and turn to her with that dimpled smile, the smile that didn’t reach his eyes but showed his dimple nonetheless.

   “Um,” Jinri chewed on her bottom lip as she stepped beside Chanyeol and looked down, reading the name of whoever was resting in peace below.

   In loving memory of Park Yoora. And she died three years ago, today’s the death anniversary.

   “This is Yoora-noona, my sister . . .” He introduced. “Noona, this is Choi Jinri. I like her.”

   At that moment, Jinri didn’t know what to feel. Just by the thought that she was in front of Chanyeol’s sister but not seeing her physically saddened her. So Chanyeol did lose someone he loved. But why did he have to add the last part? Now, she’s having mixed emotions. She should be sad for him but here Chanyeol was, making the butterflies in her stomach flutter their wings around and the blood rush up through her veins to her cheeks. She looked up at Chanyeol with her eyes wide and she couldn’t help but notice the pink that also appeared on his cheeks until his ears. “Ch-Chanyeol-sunbae . . .” was the only thing she was able to say.

   “Three years ago,” Chanyeol started, looking down at the marble that showed where his sister rested. “Yoora-noona was riding a bus on her way home. While my parents and I waited for her arrival, we received a phone call telling us to come to the hospital because Yoora-noona met an accident. The bus she was on crashed with an over-speeding truck . . .”

   Jinri gasped, a hand flying over , at what Chanyeol said, tears suddenly blurring her sight. Could it be . . . that her dad and Chanyeol’s sister were on the same bus when the accident happened?

   “Noona was in a coma . . . She wouldn’t wake up.” Chanyeol clenched his fists as he tried to stop his tears from falling. “I remembered her telling me about the legend of the paper cranes, about how your wish would be granted if you made a thousand of them so I started to fold paper cranes in hopes that if I reach the last paper crane, I could wish for Yoora-noona to wake up. Four months later, she . . . her occasional seizures attacked but it led to a flat line. While the doctor tried to revive her, I tried my best to make lots of paper cranes. I needed about three hundred more but . . . I was too late, she didn’t make it.” A tear betrayed Chanyeol and fell from his eyes. He tried to swallow but his throat had dried and started to hurt as well. “She was the reason why I make paper cranes. When she left us, I suffered from depression. I stopped talking to people, I stopped caring, I didn’t smile nor laugh anymore . . . The only thing that made me happy was making paper cranes but after I finish it, I’m reminded that my noona was gone and that she’s never coming back; that I failed making one thousand paper cranes so I wasn’t able to save her. That’s why I leave those paper cranes behind because even if making them made me happy, the outcome didn’t.”

   Jinri watched Chanyeol with furrowed eyebrows as he confessed everything to her. Now, she understood why the boy had become that way and the importance of the paper cranes for him. She looked down and found how tight he was clenching his fist that his knuckles had already turned white. Jinri reached for it with both her hands and held it gently, trying to comfort the taller boy beside her who was trying hard to stop himself from breaking down.

   She remembered the time when she first cried in front of him. Jinri had told Chanyeol about her father and now, he saw her little brother unconscious in the hospital; maybe those resulted him to completely open up to her. She couldn’t tell him that it’s alright because it definitely wasn’t and she knew she shouldn’t say sorry either because she knew that Chanyeol didn’t need any pity. He just needed someone to listen to him and be there for him.

   Chanyeol turned to look at Jinri, a tear escaping his eyes once again, when he felt her hands on his. He let his hands relax while the girl sent him a smile despite the tears that had formed in her eyes as well. “You can cry if you want.” He heard her say and he quickly pulled her into his embrace, causing the girl to drop her bag and hug him back. And there, he let go of everything and cried, not only in front of Jinri but in front of his sister as well.

When Chanyeol asked Jinri if he could come with her to visit her little brother in the hospital, she was quite surprised but happy at the same time. She’ll finally be able to introduce Chanyeol to Sanyi and her mother so when the dismissal bell rang, she excitedly exited her classroom to meet up with him. He was already making his way towards the parking lot where his motorcycle was when Jinri spotted him.

   “Chanyeol-sunbae!” She called with a big smile and ran towards him.

   Chanyeol smiled back, greeting her with a hug. “Hey,”

   “Hi,” Jinri blushed as she faced him. She still didn’t get over the fact that Chanyeol told his sister that he likes her. “Um, let’s go?”

   “Yeah,” Chanyeol ruffled her hair and they both walked towards his motorcycle.

   The two reached the hospital after ten minutes since they had transportation and when they were about to go inside, Jinri noticed that Chanyeol was having a hard time stepping foot in.

   “I’m scared of hospitals, if you haven’t noticed . . .” The boy rubbed his nape sheepishly. And Jinri finally understood why he suddenly left before without saying anything.

   Jinri just smiled and held his hand, pulling him gently with her. “It’s alright, you’re with me. You’ll be fine.”

   Chanyeol squeezed her hand and followed.

   Jinri greeted her mom upon reaching her little brother’s room with a kiss on the forehead. She also kissed Sanyi’s cheek before returning to Chanyeol, “Umma, Sanyi, this is Chanyeol. Chanyeol, this is my mom and my little brother.”

   Chanyeol bowed despite feeling a bit anxious being inside the Intensive Care Unit once again. “H-Hi . . .” He cleared his throat upon realizing his stutter and gathered himself up. “Hi, it’s a pleasure to meet you, ma’am . . . Sanyi . . .”

   Mrs. Choi smiled, “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you too, Chanyeol-ssi. My daughter has told me a lot about you. Thank you for visiting,”

   Chanyeol just nodded, lifting a corner of his lips up and making his dimple appear.

   Jinri quickly cleared , fearing that her mom might say something more, and spoke. “How’s Sanyi, umma?”

   The mother smiled and turned to look at her son, “Still sleeping but he’s fine. The nurse turned him to his sides again earlier to avoid bedsores and other infections.”

   “Could he be the other reason why you worked so hard? So you can cope up with the expenses here?” Chanyeol asked.

   Jinri nodded quietly.

   “How . . . How long has he been in that state?”

   “Around four months now,” Mrs. Choi smiled sadly.

   “Sanyi slipped and hit his head in school,” Jinri chewed on her bottom lip. “The impact brought him in a coma.”

   A memory suddenly flashed on Chanyeol’s mind, remembering the time when he was staring outside the window and saw the ambulance in the school campus. There was someone running towards it—a girl—and he finally figured out that it was Jinri. “Jinri,” He suddenly tugged on her uniform blouse.

   “Hm?”

   “Can I . . . Can I stay outside for awhile?”

   Jinri furrowed her eyebrows, nodding. “Of course, sure. I’ll be with you in a few, alright?”

   Chanyeol just nodded and left the room.

   “He’s scared of hospitals,” Jinri answered her mother’s unspoken question with a small smile as she turned to look at Sanyi and caress his face. “Sanyi, how are you? I hope you finally meet Chanyeol-sunbae soon, I’m sure you’re going to like him too.”

   “He’s charming,” Mrs. Choi giggled, hearing her children’s conversation.

   Jinri whined, blushing. “Umma!”

   After awhile, Jinri decided to go out and see how Chanyeol was doing. To her surprise, he was sitting on the floor with two finished paper cranes on his side, an unfinished one on his hands, and a white coated man squatted in front of him. It seemed that they were talking . . . or the man was talking to him because Chanyeol was blankly staring into space, head down. He was fiddling with the unfinished paper crane and Jinri suddenly felt worried. That face . . . That was the face of the Chanyeol who lost his sister. It had been awhile since she last saw it, what was that man telling him?

   The girl took a step forward. “E-Excuse me?”

   The man in white coat looked up and stood, smiling at her. “Miss Jinri,” It was Sanyi’s doctor, the same doctor who delivered the bad news to Chanyeol and his parents three years ago.

   Jinri glanced at Chanyeol but his face was still straight. “I-Is there something wrong?”

   “No, there’s none.” The doctor shook his head, “I was just asking how Chanyeol was doing. I saw him here, still with his old habit, and thought I’d drop by,”

   “You know each other?”

   “I used to be his sister’s doctor.” The doctor bowed, “Are you two acquainted?”

   “Chanyeol’s my best friend,” Jinri answered.

   “Ah, I see. So that should explain why he’s here.” The doctor nodded and frowned, “The moment he saw me, he just . . . I don’t know, shut down. I asked him how he’s doing, what he was doing here, and how he’s coping up because it had been three years but . . . he wouldn’t respond to me.” He gently took Jinri’s arm and led her a few steps farther from Chanyeol. “I heard from his parents that the boy suffered from depression and I tried suggesting consulting a psychiatrist because that’s not in my field but they told me he wouldn’t even talk to them.”

   “Chanyeol’s not crazy,” Jinri defended, furrowing her eyebrows.

   “I’m not saying that he is, Miss Jinri.” The doctor pinched the bridge of his nose. “I suggested that because I know he might need some support, some counseling . . . It’s not easy for someone as young as him to lose a sister like that. I know because I’ve been there,”

   Jinri chewed on her bottom lip and glanced at Chanyeol.

   “How is he, Miss Jinri?”

   “He’s doing fine, doctor . . .” Jinri answered, uncertain. “I’ve seen how he had become after losing his sister but now, he smiles and laughs and jokes around; I think he’s coping up because I don’t see him being depressed anymore but . . . it’s been awhile since I’ve seen him look like that . . .”

   The doctor glanced at Chanyeol as well and looked back at Jinri, “I’m worried for the boy.” He said, “Awhile ago, what was he like?”

   “He’s okay,” said Jinri, starting to get anxious at where their conversation was going. “In school, he was acting normal. You know, the usual cheerful Chanyeol . . . When we reached the place, he seemed to have changed. He looked scared; he told me he’s scared of hospitals. When I brought him inside to meet Sanyi and Umma, he looked fidgety, like he’s restless . . . and he asked me if he can go out.”

   “That must have triggered it,”

   The doctor’s statement made Jinri’s heart skip a beat . . . and it wasn’t in a good way. She suddenly remembered what Chanyeol had said before, “When she left us, I suffered from depression. I stopped talking to people, I stopped caring, I didn’t smile nor laugh anymore . . .”

   “The room where Sanyi is used to be her sister’s room and the spot where he’s sitting now was where he was exactly, three years ago. When I went out to tell his parents the news, he was there, making paper cranes . . .” The doctor continued. “Everything’s triggering his depression, Miss Jinri.”

   Jinri blinked rapidly. “W-What should I do?”

   “I suggest you bring him out of here and take him somewhere that will distract him from the trauma.”

   Jinri nodded and went back inside the ICU to bid her mother and Sanyi goodbye. When she went out, the doctor was yet again trying to talk to Chanyeol but he . . .

   He was crying while he made his eighth paper crane, as if the doctor wasn’t there.

   “I’ll take it from here,” said Jinri as she rushed beside Chanyeol. “Thank you so much, doctor.”

   “Alright, call me if anything happens.” And when he received a nod, he left.

   Jinri cupped Chanyeol’s face with shaking hands and wiped the tears spilling from his eyes away. “Chanyeol-sunbae?”

   Chanyeol’s gaze shifted from the space to her but he remained quiet. He didn’t mean it but for a moment, he forgot who Jinri was. All he thought was how everything’s coming back to him and the flat line, he can hear it.

   “Chanyeol,” Jinri patted his cheek but he was unresponsive. She took his paper cranes, stuffed them inside her bag, and pulled him up. Thank God, he obliged. The girl placed his arm around her shoulders and her arm found his waist. “Let’s go, okay? Let’s visit our café and I’ll treat you a cup of cappuccino.” It was hard for Jinri to help him steady because he was tall but she managed with a help of an intern. When they finally exited the hospital and reached the place where Chanyeol parked his bike, Jinri faced him and cupped his face again. “Chanyeol?”

   Chanyeol blinked once, his gaze shifting from space to her again. The way he looked at her squeezed her heart in pain; his eyes were blank and lifeless . . .

   And it scared her.

   “Chanyeol, please say something?” Jinri asked, her voice cracking, as she tried to blink back her tears. Don’t go back in the dark, Chanyeol. It was all her fault. She shouldn’t have brought him in the hospital in the first place. She should have known that the hesitation she saw the first time he followed her in the hospital screamed that he was scared. How could she be blinded by th—

   “Noona . . .”

   Jinri’s thoughts were interrupted by his low, helpless voice. When she looked into his eyes, the coldness was gone but it was replaced by something . . . something dark, Jinri couldn’t put a finger on it. She didn’t know what it was.

   “Noona was in a coma for four months . . .” said Chanyeol, “A seizure attacked her and it led to a flat line.” His voice sounded dangerous, like he was warning her.

   “What?”

   “Noona was in a coma for four months,” Chanyeol repeated, his hands flying to grip on her arms. “Don’t you see it? She was in a coma for four months and a seizure attacked her and it led to a flat line!”

   “Ch-Chanyeol, I don’t understand what you’re saying . . .”

   “It’s been four months!” Chanyeol shook her. “Your little brother has been having seizures—”

   “Y-Yah, you’re making me diz—”

   “—And he hasn’t awaken yet! Four months—”

   When it finally hit Jinri, she widened her eyes and pushed Chanyeol away with all her might, slapping him hard across the face. “What are you saying?!” She screeched, the tears that she had been holding back, finally making their way out from her eyes. “What’s wrong with you?! How dare you! Are you trying to tell me that Sanyi will die, huh?”

   The slap got Chanyeol’s senses back, remembering how his father had slapped him hard that way too. He blinked, trying to understand what was happening and when he finally got his grip on the situation, he widened his eyes. What have I done? “J-Jinri . . .” He tried to reach out to her.

   “No!” Jinri screamed, slapping his hand away. “I hate you! My brother’s not like your sister!” And then she ran away, crying.

Jinri stayed away from Chanyeol; she wouldn’t spare him so much of a glance. Even if he had made a fool out of himself, following her around and begging for her to talk to him, he didn’t succeed. She acted as if he didn’t even exist. Chanyeol thought he was going crazy. Whatever happened back at the hospital, he didn’t mean any of that. He didn’t know what came over him but he knew what he did was wrong. His mind just suddenly went blank that day, he tried so hard to fight but the depression got the best of him. Yoora meant a lot to him and he loved her so much. It’s been three years, why couldn’t he move on?! Why did he have to hurt the one person he had come to love?

   Chanyeol knew he couldn’t do this. He needed Jinri by his side. He had lost his sister already; he couldn’t lose his best friend now. It had been more than two weeks. How could Jinri live without talking to him? Didn’t she feel the same way too? Was he the only one who was having these strange feelings?

   “I hate you!”

   Chanyeol rested his head against his palms. Please don’t say that, he wanted to tell her but she had already run away. He wanted to chase after her but couldn’t. He had hurt her so bad. He knocked on his head repeatedly. “Pabo, pabo, pabo!” He said on each hit.

   The boy tried to contact her through her phone but she wouldn’t respond; she wouldn’t pick up. It’s like she had completely shut him off. He was suffering. The only girl who stayed by his side, who never complained, who understood, and who listened to him . . . gone like a burst of a bubble. Just like that.

   Chanyeol decided to follow her home after her shift at the convenient store. He figured Jinri wouldn’t be able to do anything if he talked to her there. Knowing that his motorcycle would just catch her attention, he followed her by foot. Since the convenient store was just around the neighborhood, he figured that Jinri’s house would be around too.

   Jinri’s shift at the convenient store ended at seven. Since she’s a minor, her employer didn’t let her stay until ten o’clock which is the store’s closing time. After bidding goodbye, she took her bag and went out of the convenient store. Somehow, she was happy because her hard work was finally paying off. She and her mom are already coping up with the expenses in the hospital. If they earned enough, she can already quit her jobs and focus on her studies. She can also still work but only on the weekends if she wanted. She smiled at the thought of her pay neatly tucked inside her bag and couldn’t help but giggle. The next time she visits the hospital, she’ll give the envelope to her mother right away.

   While she made her way home, Jinri felt as if she was being followed but when she turned around, no one was there. She cautiously resumed walking and tried enjoying the breeze the night was sending but she couldn’t. She really felt as if she was being followed. She got nervous and placed her bag in front of her; she wasn’t going to let anyone steal anything from her so she took out her pepper spray. Please keep me safe, she silently prayed.

   Just when she was about to reach the gates of her village where their house was located, someone grabbed her to an alleyway and she would have screamed if it weren’t for the hand that quickly covered . She gathered her strength and elbowed the attacker on the stomach with all her might, causing him to let go of her and groan in pain. He was about to grab her again when Jinri lifted up her hand and sprayed him with a pepper spray right on the eyes.

   “Jinri!”

   When the man brought his hands up on his face, Jinri swung her leg and kicked him on the crotch.

   The man, whose face was covered, groaned in absolute pain as he fell on the ground. Jinri grabbed her bag and hit him with it repeatedly.

   “I know I’m just a kid but I work my off just to help my mother! You’re big enough to work, you piece of—argh! Shame on you! Shame on you!

   “Jinri, that’s enough!” A strong pair of arms wrapped around her waist to stop her and she was lifted up, away from her attacker.

   Some guards from the village made their way towards the man and cuffed his wrists.

   “Let me go! Let me go!” Jinri swung her feet from back and forth, trying to squirm away from whoever was holding her and when she was put down, she turned around and pushed him away. She didn’t even realize she was already crying until she let out a sob.

   “Hey, calm down. It’s me.” Chanyeol raised both his palms up to keep her calm, that he meant her no harm.

   “Miss, are you alright?” One of the guards asked her.

   Jinri roughly wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand and nodded, “Yes, thank you.”

   “We’re glad to know that. You should go home now. Please don’t walk alone at night anymore if possible,” He then nodded at Chanyeol, who was the one who called their attention when he saw Jinri being dragged down the alleyway. “Thank you, the police had been looking for this crook since a week ago.”

   Chanyeol pressed his lips together and gave out a tight-lipped smile.

   When the guards bowed and left with the crook, Jinri her back and left as well, briskly going inside the safety of her village. Chanyeol called out for her but she played deaf, only walking faster than before. When she felt that the boy was already catching up on her, she started to run. She knew he’d eventually catch her but at least it was worth a try.

   “Jinri, please!” Chanyeol begged but he was still ignored. He ran after her and when she was within his reach, he quickly hugged her from behind, where Jinri tried to get away. “I’m sorry!”

   “Let . . . Let go of me!” Jinri cried, trying to push his arms to break the boy’s hug but he was so strong.

   “Jinri, listen to m—”

   “No!” She stomped on his foot and that’s when Chanyeol let go, groaning but ignoring the pain. Jinri was about to go when he grabbed her hand once again and turned her to face him. “Chanyeol, let go of me!”

   “No,” Chanyeol shook his head, tears starting to stream down his face. He slowly fell on his knees as his hands gripped Jinri’s, holding her in place. “I’m sorry, Jinri . . . I’m so sorry . . .”

   “My brother’s not going to die!” Jinri shouted, “He’s going to live, he’s—” Her next words were just drowned with her sobs. “He’s too young  . . . !”

   “He won’t, Jinri. I know he won’t. I—Please forgive me.” Chanyeol bowed his head, placing her hands that he was gripping against his forehead. “I didn’t know what came over me but whatever it was I said, I didn’t mean any of it, Jinri. I’m sorry. I was out of my mind . . . You understand me, don’t you?” He sobbed.

   “Chanyeol—” Jinri tried to pull her hands away but the boy’s grip just tightened.

   “Forgive me, Jinri . . .” Chanyeol begged, “I don’t want to lose you too; I don’t know what I’m going to do. Don’t leave me . . . I need you. I really need you.”

   “S-Sunbae, stand up, please . . .”

   “No.” Chanyeol shook his head. His head was still bowed and his hands were still holding Jinri’s against his forehead. “Not until you forgive me, Jinri. I’m really sorry. I regret everything I said . . . If I could turn back the time, I will. I didn’t mean to hurt you . . . Jinri . . .” He feared the silence Jinri was giving him but it made him look up when he suddenly felt the girl move. The next thing he knew, she was already kneeling in front of him. “Jinri . . .”

   Jinri gave him a smile despite her tears and Chanyeol couldn’t explain the happiness he felt that bubbled up inside him. He brought her in his arms, embracing her tightly, and buried his face against her neck, repeating the words “Thank you!” over and over again. Jinri hugged him back just as tight, hiding her face on his shoulder.

The girl watched as Chanyeol slurped the noodles off his bowl; it made her remember their first lunch together. It was already his fifth bowl of ramyeon yet he still looked so hungry and eager to get the next serving. They were at her house and Jinri invited Chanyeol in. She didn’t want him to leave, not after what had happened. Something bad almost happened to her and if it weren’t for Chanyeol calling the guards, she didn’t know if what she had done to the crook would even help her escape.

   When Chanyeol kneeled in front of her and begged, Jinri didn’t know what to do. It hurt her seeing him like that but she was hurt too. Who in the right mind would tell you your brother’s going to die, right? Although the boy didn’t tell her directly, it didn’t take a genius to understand what he was trying to say. Maybe, Chanyeol didn’t really mean anything he said; maybe, he really wasn’t in the right mind that time because of his depression and trauma and knowing that he needed someone to understand him and the things he’s been going through, Jinri took the initiative to do so. If anyone didn’t know his past and he suddenly blurted out something like that, as if he was going crazy, they’d leave him for good but Jinri knew and she understood so despite the fact that she was hurt, she couldn’t resist the boy. She eventually forgave him. Could she be blamed?

   Jinri loves the guy.

   “Jinri, one more bowl please!”

   And seeing him begging for her forgiveness was something that broke her heart too; she knew he was suffering. Chanyeol’s words kept repeating inside her head: “I don’t want to lose you too; I don’t know what I’m going to do. Don’t leave me . . . I need you. I really need you.” Then again, there’s no way she was really going to leave him.

   Jinri stayed away, yeah, but she never left.

   At the times Chanyeol wouldn’t follow her around to beg for her to talk to him, she was hiding and watching him from afar. Just like Jinri’s old habit, when the boy left, she took the paper cranes he made . . . even those that were tainted with his tears.

   “You’re staring at me.”

   Jinri blinked, the low and husky voice pulling her back to reality. “Excuse me?”

   Chanyeol grinned. While he was finishing his fifth bowl of ramyeon earlier, he asked for the next serving but Jinri didn’t respond. When he looked up, he saw her staring at him; she was deep in thought but she was staring. He blinked and stared back at her; he even waved a hand in front of her face but she kept staring. “You were staring at me.” He repeated.

   “W-Wha—psh! Nonsense!” Jinri waved a hand away, looking anywhere but the boy in front of her, embarrassed that she had been caught. How long was she staring at him again? “I wasn’t staring!”

   “What were you doing then?” Chanyeol’s grin widened.

   “I was watching you.” Jinri nodded and when she realized what she answered, she gaped. “I-I mean . . . Uh, I was watching you eat! Yeah, that’s right!”

   “I’ve finished a few minutes ago and I was asking for the next bowl.” Chanyeol stated, amused at how Jinri was acting.

   “I-I . . .” Jinri gulped. What to say, what to say? “Yah! It’s already your fifth bowl yet you still want more? Haven’t you been eating?”

   Truth be told, he hadn’t. Chanyeol didn’t have the appetite to eat meals ever since their misunderstanding. When he felt the need to eat, he would just grab some bread but that’s just it. What depression does to him, aish! But he wasn’t going to tell Jinri about it. “It’s your fault for cooking something delicious such as this,” he said.

   Jinri rolled her eyes but still served him another bowl. “It’s just ramyeon.”

   “It’s just ramyeon,” The taller boy mocked but smiled after. “Kamsahamnida!” He then resumed eating. “Where’s your mom?”

   “With Sanyi,” Jinri answered. “She never went home after her shifts. She goes directly at the hospital. Sometimes, she didn’t need to because she works there as well.”

   “As?”

   “A janitress,”

   Chanyeol slowed down his eating and after swallowing his food, he played with the noodles with his chopsticks, keeping his head down. “Is . . . Is your mother mad at me?”

   Jinri shook her head even though she knew he couldn’t see it. He must have thought she told her mother what had happened between the two of them. “She doesn’t know anything,” she smiled a bit.

   Chanyeol looked up at Jinri and the girl could see the tears b at the corner of his eyes. He took her hand that was resting on the table, brought it to his lips, and kissed it before saying, “Thank you.”

   “Now, continue eating.” Jinri said, wiping the forming tears in the boy’s eyes away with her knuckles.

   Chanyeol smiled and did so.

   After uncountable bowls of ramyeon,—in which Jinri had to cook another batch for the giant—she gathered the dishes and carried them to the kitchen. Chanyeol insisted to help her wash them but she didn’t let him because he was a guest and her senior at that. “Just make yourself at home,” she said and the boy did, staying beside her while she washed the dishes.

   Jinri noticed at the corner of her eyes that Chanyeol was already making a paper crane while waiting for her to finish, his back leaning against the counter. She smiled and tried to concentrate on washing the dishes but how could she when the boy who made the butterflies inside her stomach go crazy was just right beside her, being handsome even when he’s not even trying to? The girl shook the thoughts away, shutting her eyes. Get a grip, Choi Jinri! She thought.

   “Are you alright?” Chanyeol asked, turning to look at her after seeing her shake her head.

   Jinri’s blood rushed up on her face from embarrassment. “Ah, y-yeah . . . don’t mind me. There was um, a fly . . . Uh, flying around so . . . yeah.”

   Chanyeol chuckled and nodded then went back to making his paper crane. At least he could say he was doing well now. He’s not too concentrated on folding paper cranes much anymore. Before, nobody—even himself—can break him out of his reverie while he made them. He would just go back to reality when the paper crane was done but with Jinri by his side, at least he got a little too distracted to the point that he can pause on what he was doing just to ask the girl if she was alright.

   “Hey, it’s getting late,” Jinri started, drying the dishes and placing them on their respective places. “Shouldn’t you be on your way home?”

   “You’re getting rid of me?” Chanyeol puffed his cheeks.

   “That’s not what I meant,” Jinri laughed, rinsing her hands.

   “I know,” Chanyeol smiled. “Can I stay over?”

   Jinri choked and coughed and the boy patted her back.

   “Are you alright?”

   “You can’t just ask me that out of the blue!” Jinri blushed.

   “What? Why? You said so yourself, it’s getting late. Wouldn’t it be dangerous for me to go home alone? Seeing as you were nearly attacked awhile ago . . .” Chanyeol pouted.

   Jinri looked away to hide her glowing red face. “You’re old enough.”

   “I’m suffering from depression.”

   Jinri didn’t miss out the sadness that came with Chanyeol’s statement. She turned to look at him and saw that he was staring at the paper crane he had already finished. It scared Jinri whenever Chanyeol looked at something that way; scared because she didn’t want the cold, blank Chanyeol back. “Hey,” she dried her hands and touched his arm.

   Chanyeol blinked and looked at Jinri with those big, wondering eyes again as if the way he looked earlier was suddenly washed away by the warmth that emitted from Jinri’s palm. “S-Sorry,” he said. “I didn’t mean to say that.”

   Jinri smiled and shook her head, “It’s fine if you really want to stay over. I’m scared to be alone anyway . . . with what just happened earlier, I swear I’m going to need more pepper sprays.” She joked, lightening up the mood.

   That seemed to bring back the old Chanyeol because he grinned. “Don’t worry, I’ll protect you!” He hugged Jinri. “I’m not going to let anyone hurt you.”

   The girl chuckled despite her burning face and hugged him back.

   After re-freshening themselves up, Jinri lending Chanyeol her dad’s old pajamas, they both hung out at her room’s balcony for awhile to enjoy the night breeze.

   “I wasn’t able to ask you,” said Chanyeol, turning his head to Jinri. “But are you okay? I mean . . . with what happened to you earlier and all. I swear you would have killed the man with your bag if I hadn’t stopped you.”

   Jinri laughed and scratched her head, “I got shocked and I didn’t know what came over me . . . All I thought was Sanyi and my mother and my body just acted on itself.”

   Chanyeol nodded, knowing how exactly that felt. It’s just like him thinking about his sister and nothing else.

   “What were you doing anyway? How did you find me?” Jinri continued.

   “I was following you,” Chanyeol answered boldly. “I waited for your shift at the convenient store to end. I kept my distance but I saw another man following you too. You didn’t notice me because I was on the other side but I saw how you kept looking behind your back and how the man would hide so you won’t see him. I suddenly got this hunch that something’s going to go wrong and when I saw him grab you, I ran and called the guards from the nearest village. When we came back, I saw how you kicked him in the middle . . .” He chuckled a bit, “But when you started hitting him with your bag, it seemed that you weren’t going to stop any sooner so I stopped you.”

   “Why were you following me?”

   Chanyeol was quiet for awhile before answering, staring at the farthest his eyes can manage. “I wanted you back.” He sighed, “And I didn’t know how else to do that. You wouldn’t talk to me in school.”

   “I’m sorry.”

   “No, I’m sorry. It was my fault.” Chanyeol looked at her with a frown. “I didn’t mean anything I sai—”

   “I know,” Jinri smiled, placing a finger on his lips. “I trust you. And I trust my brother too. He’ll live. He’ll wake up.”

   Chanyeol smiled, taking her hand and kissing it.

   “Aish!” Jinri quickly pulled away, the butterflies in her stomach suddenly setting up fireworks inside. “S-Stop being so romantic all of a sudden, idiot.” She turned away and it made Chanyeol laugh. Then the both of them were quiet after that.

   Their village looked peaceful, they wondered if they caused a scene earlier outside. That would be embarrassing if some people in the neighborhood saw how Chanyeol and Jinri cried in front of each other. The girl just hoped that if anyone did see them, they wouldn’t recognize them because it was already nighttime and they were in the middle of two distanced light posts, meaning it was a bit dark where they stayed to give her neighbors a dramatic show.

   “Did you miss me?”

   Jinri’s heart pounded at the random question and she tried her best not to look at the boy standing beside her. With a small nod, she shyly answered, “Yes.”

   Chanyeol smiled, trying to stop himself from jumping. He feared he might accidentally fall off the balcony or something if he did that. “I missed you too.” He faced her, leaning his side on the railing.

   Jinri turned her head to look up at Chanyeol and they just stared at each other. She was thankful that the one light on the balcony was a bit dull so he wouldn’t see how beet red Jinri’s cheeks were. She didn’t have to look at her reflection in front of the mirror to know that her face was red, she can feel it. So to avert the situation,—and to stop her butterflies from partying inside her stomach—she took notice of the paper crane Chanyeol had been playing with since earlier. “Where did you learn making paper cranes?”

   Chanyeol looked down at the paper crane and fiddled with one of its wings. “Yoora-noona taught me how to make them when I was a kid.” He smiled.

   “You’ve made more than a thousand of them already, what will your wish be?”

   “You know I don’t keep them. As far as I know, the paper cranes should be kept by the ones who made it for the wish to be granted.” Chanyeol looked at Jinri, “And the only wish I had will never be granted because she’s gone. It’s not like I can wish for her to be brought back to life.” He chuckled bitterly.

   “You can always think of another wish! And . . . And I kept all of them for you . . .” Jinri confessed unintentionally, “Won’t that be acceptable enough?”

   “What . . . What do you mean?” Chanyeol whispered.

   Jinri chewed on her bottom lip, furrowing her eyebrows. What was she thinking, suddenly saying that? But maybe, it was time for her to come out of her shell and tell Chanyeol the last thing she had yet to reveal. “Follow me,” she said inaudibly but enough for the boy to hear. They went out of Jinri’s room and headed towards another room. Sanyi’s name was hanging on it, decorated with clouds around. The font that formed the letters of the little boy’s name was colored sky blue. She gripped on the door knob and, closing her eyes, heaved a deep breath.

   Chanyeol watched Jinri as she twisted the knob slowly. What she said earlier, did it really mean what Chanyeol thought she meant? She kept all of the paper cranes for him? And if so then . . . since when? How? Why? But he remembered that ever since he and Jinri became friends, the girl had started keeping the paper cranes but it was impossible that he was able to reach a thousand of them in a short span of time. Jinri pushed the door open and when he followed her inside, he was greeted with rows of stringed colorful paper cranes serving as curtains on the walls that were painted with skies and clouds, looking as though they were flying together. There were also stringed white paper cranes serving as a curtain on the only big window across the room and below it was a fixed bed with white pillows and sky blue sheets.

   “Sanyi loves your paper cranes.” Jinri started, “The first time I showed him one, he was so fascinated with it. He wanted me to teach him how to make them but I didn’t know how to. I told him, ‘I just got it from my senior’ and then he said he wanted more paper cranes so I collected those that you left behind. When Sanyi got into an accident, I figured I’ll give him a surprise so that when he wakes up and gets home, he’ll see the transformation in his room.” She smiled at the thought, “I just know he’ll like what I’ve done, decorating his room with full of paper cranes.” Jinri turned to look at Chanyeol who was scanning his eyes through everything—he also even could make out his initials on some of the paper cranes—and when he saw her look at him, he looked back at her and the girl could see the shock in his eyes. “Three years ago, I was a new student in our school and I got lost. Someone offered to show me around that time and he even accompanied me to my classroom.”

   That tale sounded familiar. Memories Chanyeol made around those time suddenly came flashing back in his mind; happy memories that he had buried after losing his sister. That exactly was it! That was the very reason why when Chanyeol first bumped into Jinri, she looked really familiar. He used to tour her around back when he was in ninth grade.

   “D-Do you remember me, sunbae?” Jinri whispered but audible enough for Chanyeol to hear. When the boy nodded a little, she continued, looking away to break their eye contact. “I might sound like a stalker or something but since then, I’ve always watched you from afar. The silly me already had a crush on you back then,” she chuckled as she touched a paper crane’s wing from one of the strings. “I admired you so much . . . You were always smiling and you make people happy. Funny how just by seeing you like that, it already made me happy too.

   Then some time later, I saw how you started making paper cranes. When you told me about your sister, I figured that must have been the time she got into a coma. At those days, I was very sad because I lost my dad but I didn’t let anyone know. I wanted to be like you . . . someone who always smiled, someone who seemed to have nothing to worry about in life and that’s when I remembered my dad’s words . . . to keep smiling. It’s not only just my dad who inspired me but it was also because of you why I kept moving forward.”

   Chanyeol watched as Jinri reminisced the past, looking solemn.

   “When you reached high school and I still in middle school, I saw how you’ve become so different. You were always alone, you didn’t smile anymore . . . You always had this blank look on. You still made those paper cranes but you started leaving them behind. And I would start collecting them. I was like this love-sick puppy, always following you around without you knowing. I couldn’t help but become so worried about you . . . I always wondered, ‘what happened to sunbae? He doesn’t smile anymore.’ but that didn’t stop me from having these feelings for you.” Jinri looked up at Chanyeol, “It just gave me more reasons for my feelings to deepen. I’ve always wanted to be there for you but I didn’t know how. I’m just your junior, who was I to suddenly pop out of nowhere and be friends with someone as popular as you, right?

   I realized you were graduating and thought maybe I should at least let you know of my feelings. There was this big possibility that you will reject me, of course, knowing as you were the ‘man with no emotions’ and ‘no care about the world’, according to my batch mates. And you didn’t even know me,” She smiled a bit, taking the paper crane Chanyeol had dropped the moment he stepped foot inside Sanyi’s room. She grabbed a pair of scissors and made a hole from the pointed part of the paper crane’s body; she took a string’s end where a needle was hanging—that string had an incomplete set of paper cranes—and let it pass through. “Bumping into you was something I thought the heavens had sent for me. Accidentally bringing home your book was another. It gave me a reason to finally approach you and maybe, introduce myself. But then you happened to visit the café and God, I couldn’t contain how happy I was.” She grinned at him, blushing, and quickly went back to the paper crane she was working.

   Chanyeol kept his eyes on Jinri, different emotions surging inside of him. He had gotten speechless with every confession Jinri made. Why didn’t he see her? Why didn’t he notice all her efforts for the past three years? Why did he never think of looking back at those paper cranes just so he could spot Jinri taking them? If he had met her at those times, would he have suffered from depression? Would Jinri have been there to be his emotional support? Would she be able to help him move on?

   Jinri tied a knot below the paper crane to keep it from falling and when she let go of it, the newly added piece started hanging. Smiling at her work, she continued as she placed the scissors down on Sanyi’s table. “And when you told your sister you like me, I was speechless and I had to replay those words inside my head to make sure you really did say it. I couldn’t believe it. I mean . . . why would you even—?” She wasn’t able to continue her sentence when she suddenly felt herself being spun around and a pair of warm and soft lips pressed against hers.

   Jinri widened her eyes, frozen on the spot. Chanyeol was kissing her and she could feel the pounding of his heart against the palm of her hands that were resting on his chest. He couldn’t take it anymore; he just felt the need to kiss the girl to let her know that he felt deeply the same way towards her. Why did you come into my life just now, Jinri?

   Eottokhae?! Jinri panicked, not knowing what to do. It was her first kiss and she knew that she was inexperienced at stuff like that. She suddenly felt Chanyeol move his lips against hers to deepen the kiss so she tried to follow him which resulted to her kissing him back. Jinri felt sudden electricity sparking inside her stomach and it exploded into fireworks. She instinctively closed her eyes and leaned in more, her hands on Chanyeol’s shirt.

   Chanyeol tightened his arms around Jinri and the two shared an innocent yet passionate kiss, pouring out all the love they felt for each other, surrounded by the paper cranes that seemed to feel the happiness as their strings dangle them through the breeze coming in from the window. The feeling was so strong that it made Jinri’s eyes water. When Chanyeol pulled away, she opened her eyes and the tears that were kept inside her eyelids streamed down to her cheeks. The boy lifted up a hand and placed his thumb on Jinri’s lips, chuckling a bit and wiping away her tears. “Why are you crying?”

   “I-I don’t know, I’m sorry . . .” The girl answered, chuckling as well.

   “Stupid, I should be the one crying here, to be honest.” Chanyeol kissed her again for a moment then hugged her tight, burying his face on her shoulders. “Thank you, Jinri. Thank you so much.”

   “You’ve got nothing to thank me for,” Jinri closed her eyes to enjoy the moment. She hugged him tight, feeling his warmth enveloping her.

   “I’ve got so much to thank you for, Jinri.” said Chanyeol as he faced her. “Especially for coming in my life,” and the two shared a sincere smile.

   “Well, you’re always welcome, Chanyeol.”

   The boy wrapped an arm around Jinri as he looked around Sanyi’s room. Jinri placed an arm around his torso too and leaned her head on his shoulder. “I can’t believe you had the patience to collect all of these paper cranes for three years. I thought people who would find them would just throw them away.”

   “How can anyone find them if I’m always the first one to take them?” Jinri giggled, “And what can I say . . . Sanyi loves your paper cranes. And I love you.” She mumbled the last three words for Chanyeol not to hear but he did nonetheless.

   “I love you too, Jinri.” Chanyeol smiled and the girl blushed furiously. “How many are they now?” He asked, scanning all the paper cranes.

   “2014,” Jinri answered.

   Chanyeol widened his eyes. “R-Really?”

   “You always make them so . . .” Jinri grinned up at him. “That means you’re going to have two wishes now, right?”

   The boy was quiet for awhile and he brought his gaze back at his paper cranes. “Yeah,” he whispered. He stared at the art pieces for awhile and asked, “Remember when you asked me if I were given a chance to save someone’s life, would I take it?”

   Jinri nodded, “Mm-hmm, I think that specific someone you were thinking about was your sister.”

   Chanyeol nodded too and looked at her, “And you also said that I can always think of another wish.”

   “Yeah,”

   “Then I think I know now what my new wish would be.”

   “What is it?”

   Chanyeol kissed the side of Jinri’s temple and closed his eyes, “I wish for little Sanyi to wake up soon, healthy and without any complications.”

   Jinri bit on her bottom lip to stop herself from crying but it was too late; a sob already let itself out and she hugged Chanyeol from the side.

   “And for my second wish, I wish for the two of us to be happy together.” Chanyeol smiled genuinely as he cupped Jinri’s face with a hand to wipe her tears away. “I love you.”

   Jinri couldn’t help but sob more and Chanyeol hugged her tight as if he never wanted to let her go. “I love you too, Chanyeol.” She answered.

Jinri didn’t know what came over Chanyeol but he was eager to face his fear of the hospital. It wouldn’t be easy but the boy was willing to try everything for her. She told the doctor about it and he said he will help them as much as possible. At first attempt, Chanyeol couldn’t fight it because his depression would quickly swallow him whole but he would still try. Whenever Jinri and Chanyeol visited Sanyi and Chanyeol felt a sudden uneasiness, they immediately leave the hospital. It took the boy weeks to control his fear but eventually, he started to succeed. Although Chanyeol would get jumpy at times because his way of controlling his fear was to stand like a statue and think of happy thoughts—like a kid would do—and Jinri would pat his arm that’ll cause him to jump and cower away, at least his efforts are slowly paying off.

   And Chanyeol still believed that he can do it as long as Jinri was there for him.

   It took him a few more months before he could finally act normal whenever he’s in the hospital. Sometimes, he would feel as if he couldn’t breathe inside but with Jinri’s encouragements, he’d soon be fine.

   Chanyeol’s parents even saw the positive change of their son’s behavior. At home, he was starting to loosen up; he would talk to his parents and ask how they were doing, greet and kiss them, and they knew he was starting to get back to the old self he had put to sleep years ago. There must be a reason as to why their son was acting that way so one dinner night, they asked if he was seeing someone. The red color that suddenly appeared from Chanyeol’s cheeks to his ears gave away the answer and they immediately told him that they wanted to see her.

   Meeting Chanyeol’s parents for the first time made Jinri feel nervous to the bones and she wasn’t even able to prepare and make herself look at least presentable because after dismissal, the two already had to go to Chanyeol’s house to meet them. So wearing their school uniform, Jinri met Mr. and Mrs. Park. Surprisingly for the girl, the parents liked her a lot. They even kept thanking her for “knocking some sense into their son” which resulted to a whining Chanyeol. They talked and ate and talked some more. When Chanyeol left for awhile, the parents even told Jinri how much they missed their eldest daughter and that having Jinri around made the emptiness they felt somewhat filled with new memories. They looked forward to meeting Jinri more often and the parents also gave their blessings to them already.

   Seeing as the old Chanyeol was finally back, it didn’t take long for him to gain new friends. The old ones even apologized to him but he let it go because that was all in the past. Chanyeol’s few months left in high school became colorful again big thanks to his best friend slash girlfriend, Choi Jinri.

   But it seemed that Jinri’s happy days were over. In the middle of class, her mom suddenly called her and was telling her to come to the hospital quickly. She stood up and bolted outside her classroom, ignoring the warning voice of her teacher.

   When Chanyeol saw the girl running past his classroom, he widened his eyes and stood as well. “Jinri!”

   Jinri halted right in front of the classroom’s open door and looked at him with wide eyes and tears b on them, ready to fall. “Sanyi . . .”

   “Mr. Park?” The teacher asked while his classmates watched what was happening.

   But the addressed didn’t pay a glance at him. Chanyeol left the classroom and together, the two ran outside the school building. Jinri continued running and Chanyeol had to grab her arm to stop her, “I have my bike,” he said and in no time, they both reached the hospital with pounding hearts.

   Sanyi was having a seizure when the two reached the Intensive Care Unit. The nurses were trying to keep him in place to prevent him from falling and the doctor was checking his pulse through the monitor.

   “Sanyi!” Jinri cried and Chanyeol stopped her from running to her brother, hugging her from behind.

   Mrs. Choi was crying by the corner, a hand covering , watching the doctor and the nurses do their best to make the seizure stop.

   Everyone was about to sigh in relief seeing as the little boy had stopped when a flat line suddenly rang throughout the room from the cardiograph and Jinri let out a piercing scream.

   Chanyeol watched, wide eyed, and fear was evident in his eyes. The seizures and the flat line . . . and his sister, it all came back to him. It all came back to him and the depression was suddenly there. No, Chanyeol thought, fighting it away. He couldn’t let it win now. Jinri was the one in need and he had to be there for her!

   The doctor pumped on the poor boy’s chest several times before the defibrillator came in contact with it. “Clear!” but the flat line was still there and the boy still fell limp. The doctor pumped a few more times and placed the defibrillator on the boy’s chest. “Clear!” He said once again but the flat line still continued to mock.

   “Sanyi!” Jinri cried, trying to get away from Chanyeol’s hug. “Sanyi, no! Please! You have to live, baby boy . . .!”

   The doctor tried the process one more time. If nothing changed, it’s all done. “Clear!” The little boy’s body jumped and fell limp on the bed and the cardiograph started to record the beats of his heart. The doctor sighed in relief as he felt his pulse.

   He turned to Mrs. Choi and Jinri with a relieved smile, “He’s safe.”

   “Umma . . .?”

   Everyone turned to the direction of the little boy. His head was slowly moving from left to right and his eyes then fluttered open, looking around innocently to know where he was.

   Chanyeol let go of Jinri and she ran towards her little brother and bent down. “Sanyi? S-Sanyi, can you hear me?” A tear fell from her eyes to his cheek, making him blink.

   “Jinri-noona?”

   “Yes!” Jinri cried and leaned her forehead against her little brother’s. “Yes, hi, baby. Noona’s here. Umma’s here.”

   After the heart-stopping event, Mrs. Choi, Jinri, and Chanyeol were asked to stay outside the Intensive Care Unit first to diagnose the little boy. Mrs. Choi and Jinri were hugging each other closely, tears still steaming down their cheeks while Chanyeol stood by the window, both his hands on his pockets, and stared at the farthest his eyes can see. He did it . . . He was able to fight off the depression he felt. And Sanyi . . .

   Sanyi was alive.

   “Mrs. Choi and Miss Jinri?”

   The mother and the daughter straightened themselves and looked at the doctor who came out from the room. Chanyeol turned to look at them but didn’t leave where he stood.

   “H-How’s my son?” Mrs. Choi asked.

   “It’s a miracle,” The doctor smiled warmly. “A coma should have left some complications on the boy’s system but Sanyi has recovered one hundred percent. His vitals went back to normal and it seemed as though he slept for more or less seven months just to have his body recover from the blow on his head. Although a scar had left its mark on the boy’s skull, he’s perfectly fine. But since he had been in bed for quite awhile, it’s going to take his body some time to adjust. Sudden movements might give him pain so I suggest you don’t let him move on his own. For example, if Sanyi suddenly stood, there’s a possibility that he will fall because his legs are not strong enough to support his weight yet so it’s better if you give him that support. It’s just like teaching a baby but I’m pretty sure he’ll cope up.” He nodded, “Also, this is very important, never let anything bump or give pressure on his head. It’s the most fragile part of his body and having another blow is just . . . no, alright? So we all have to be very careful.”

   What the two did was nod at every statement the doctor had said but after that, Jinri clasped her hands together and sincerely thanked the heavens.

   “When can Sanyi go home?” Mrs. Choi asked.

   “A week, maybe?” The doctor answered, “That should be enough for him to get his body moving but we are not going to let him go if Sanyi won’t be able to perfectly move on his own.”

   Jinri and her mother nodded. “We understand,”

   “Alright then, you can come inside to see him now. He’s waiting for you. Excuse me,” The doctor bowed and left.

   Jinri hugged her mother and after telling her that she can go inside first, the girl turned to look at Chanyeol.

   Chanyeol looked back at Jinri and smiled.

   She ran towards him and threw herself, Chanyeol catching her in the process. He lifted Jinri up and twirled her around while they shared a sweet kiss. When he placed her down, Jinri hugged him tight. “Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!”

   Chanyeol chuckled as he hugged her back. “You’ve got nothing to thank me for,” he repeated Jinri’s words a few months back.

   “I’ve got so much to thank you for, Chanyeol.” Jinri answered, giggling. “Especially for coming in my life.”

   The taller boy laughed, hearing the all too familiar answer. “Yah!” He exclaimed as they faced each other.

   Jinri smiled up at him and tiptoed, giving him a quick, chaste kiss. “I’ll officially introduce you to Sanyi. I’m sure he’ll be very happy to finally meet my senior who has been making the paper cranes he loves. And maybe, you can teach him how to make one too.”

- End -