Basement band BTOB

My Brother is in a Band

 

 

The next morning I get up and get ready for school. My brother is still sleeping and I decide to leave him be so he can be fully rested. He has probably had a lot of stress because he didn’t have a place to stay and the band needed a practice room. But now that that’s taken care of, a huge weight has probably been lifted from his shoulders and he can finally relax a little. So I’m just going to let him sleep all he wants.

When I’m ready to go I write a note for my brother. I tell him that there is food in the fridge and that he can eat what he wants and as much as he wants. Then I ask him to come to my store building at 4 PM with his bandmates and that I’ll meet them there. I also write the address down just in case. Then I place the note on the table in the living room and leave for school.

During the lunch break I tell Ji Hyun and Ji Min about Ilhoon showing up on my doorstep and telling me he started a band.

“That is so awesome and somehow I’m not surprised,” Ji Min says and Ji Hyun nods. “Ilhoon has always been a free soul and starting a band just seems like something he would do,” Ji Hyun says and I run a hand through my hair while thinking about their words. It’s true that Ilhoon has always had crazy ideas and starting a band might not be so out of character for him. Now that I think about it I think that Ilhoon being in a band is right for him. I can’t see him do normal work and he has never cared about school. Being in a band and maybe even become famous for it just seems right for Ilhoon. Which is why I will support him and help his band. I will always stand by my brother and catch him when he falls.

“So, when are you seeing the band again?” Ji Min asks and I snap out of my thoughts. “Today actually,” I say and Ji Min looks excited, “I’m meeting them after school.”

“Can I come?” Ji Min asks and I look at her surprised. “You want to come with me and meet Ilhoon’s band?” I ask and she nods. I shrug and say that it’s probably fine with them. Ji Min seems very excited and says she can’t wait. I ignore her and ask Ji Hyun if she also wants to come. She smiles appreciatively and says yes. I know that Ji Hyun is a lot more reserved than her sister and I know that she wants to come along but she can get herself to ask if she can join us. That’s why I always make sure to ask her so she doesn’t get excluded. She always says she is thankful because of that. At that moment the bell rings and it’s time to go back to class.

After our last period we all walk down to Ji Min’s car. A majority of the students from this school are being driven to school and picked up by drivers because their parents are rich and/or important people. It was the same for me when I was younger, but ever since I got my driver’s license I always drive myself wherever I go. But today I got a ride from Ji Min so my car is at home in the garage for Ilhoon to use.

All three of us get in the car with Ji Min behind the wheel.

“Where to?” she asks and I give her the address. Ji Min asks a lot of questions about the band members while we drive but I honestly tell her I don’t really know anything about them. I only know the rumors about them that I heard from the two girls I met when the guys played. I tell Ji Min the rumors and she gets even more excited and curious. Ji Min has always had an interest for things that are dangerous and mysterious. She wants to dig deeper and find the truth hidden behind the mystery. Which is why she is especially interested in Minhyuk. I chose not to tell her that I already have a slight interest in him because of the fortune teller’s words. I want to find out if Minhyuk really is someone special or if everything was just a coincidence. Ji Min wouldn’t believe in that kind of stuff anyway and just say it was a coincidence so I decide to keep quiet about it.

When we arrive Ji Min parks behind my store and we all get out. I see another car in the parking lot and guess that the guys are already here. I walk in the backdoor followed by Ji Hyun and Ji Min. I find the guys in the front where I first met Minhyuk. They are all there and as soon as they see us they come over. I introduce Ji Min and Ji Hyun and they all seem excited that I brought girls. The boys gather around Ji Min and Ji Hyun except Ilhoon who walks over to me.

“Why did you ask us to come?” he asks. “I wanted you to see your new practice room and if you like it we can move your instruments down there,” I say and a smile spreads across Ilhoon’s face. “I love you. Do you know that?” he says and I hit his arm. “Shut up,” I say but I get really warm inside every time Ilhoon tells me he loves me. It has been like that ever since we were kids.

“Hey guys! Stop flirting and let’s check out our new practice room!” Ilhoon says and he really sounds like a leader. And even though he is the second youngest, s listen to him and follow him down to the basement. As soon as they’re gone Ji Min runs over to me with a big smile on her face.

“They are so hot! Especially Minhyuk!” she says and squeaks loudly, “I so have to make him fall in love with me. He’s perfect!”

I bite my lip and don’t comment on that. Instead I look at Ji Hyun and she looks back at me. It seems like she wants to tell me something. Just then Ji Min says she will hear what they think about the basement and runs down the stairs. When she’s gone Ji Hyun walks over to me and says: “If the rumors about Minhyuk are true, then my sister could end up in some serious trouble.”

“I know. But Minhyuk doesn’t seem like a bad guy,” I say and Ji Hyun frowns. “I thought you only saw him yesterday? Since you haven’t talked to him how can you know?” she asks and I nervously run a hand through my hair. “Well…” I say hesitantly. “What? Is there something you aren’t telling me?”

I hesitate for a while before I answer her question. “Actually I met Minhyuk before I knew he was a member of Ilhoon’s band,” I say and Ji Hyun’s eyes widen. “What!? When!?”

“Yesterday I came here to the store and then Minhyuk came running in because he was being chased by the police for playing guitar on the street. I talked to him for a while and he asked me to come see his band that night. When I then went to see Ilhoon’s band play, it turned out Minhyuk played in my brother’s band.”

Ji Hyun looks at me with wide open. “Some coincidence huh?” I say and smile awkwardly. “That can’t be a coincidence!” Ji Hyun says and looks at the stairs to the basement, “Heejin, he even has the red hair! Red! He has to be the guy the fortune teller talked about. You met him yesterday like she said and the color red was present. He has to be your fate! You have to believe it now!”

I grimace and look away. “I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore,” I mumble and sigh, “I just know that I’m curious and want to know more about him.”

“You definitely should!” she says and then looks very serious, “but promise me one thing. If it turns out that he really is dangerous, then you have to get away from him immediately. Deal?”

I nod and she looks relieved. Just then the boys return from the basement and they all look excited.

“It’s perfect! Just what we need!” Sungjae says and they all nod. “Are you sure we can use it, Heejin?” Changsub asks and I nod. “No problem at all,” I say and they all thank me. “Now we just have to get our instruments,” Eunkwang says and walks towards the parking lot. “But we have to go a couple of times since Minhyuk’s car isn’t big enough for us and all of our instruments,” Peniel says and they all sigh. “You can use the van out back,” I say and they all look at me, “when I got this building from my parents, they also gave me a van to transport stuff back and forth from the store. Since they own a business that sells cars it’s no problem getting a van. You can use the one out back to transport yourselves and your instruments when you have gigs.”

They all look at me with wide eyes. “For real? You’re giving us a practice room and a van?” Peniel asks and I nod. They all scream with joy and run to me. They all give me a big group hug and I can’t help but smile because of their happiness.

“Thanks Heejin! You’re the best!” Ilhoon says and the guys all let me go to go and check out their new van. Ilhoon stays behind and looks at me. “You are very generous when it comes to my band,” he says and I shrug. “I want you to pursue your dream. I’m happy if I can just help you over a few obstacles,” I say and he smiles. “Well since you want to help me and my band, I think I have a job for you,” he says and I raise an eyebrow. “A job?” I ask and he nods. “I want you to be BTOB’s manager,” he says and I look at him surprised. “Manager?” I ask and he nods again, “then what do you want me to do as your manager?”

“What you have done until now. Help us in any way possible and if you can get us gigs, that would be perfect,” he says and I feel a bit worried, but still kind of excited. Being BTOB’s manager will bring me closer to my brother and the world he lives in. How can I say no to that?

“I can’t promise I’ll do a good job but I’ll do my best,” I say and smile. “Then I can’t ask any more from you,” he says and returns the smile, “and now let’s go and get those instruments.”

“I have to come too?” I ask and he says of course. “Now that you’re our manager, you’re basically a part of the band and you have to follow us around. It’s part of the job.”

“If you say so,” I mumble and follow my brother to the parking lot. When we get there, Ji Hyun and Ji Min are standing by Ji Min’s car. I walk over and Ji Min tells me that their mother called and asked them to come home. After that they leave and I get in the car with the boys. Eunkwang is behind the wheel and I get to sit between Peniel and Minhyuk in the backseat. When Eunkwang has made sure everyone is settled, he starts the engine and drives out from the parking lot.

When we reach Changsub’s apartment, the guys go inside to get the instruments, while I stay in the car. It takes some time to get the drum kit in the back of the car because it needs to be taken apart to fit. But finally it’s all set and Eunkwang drives back to the empty store. I help carry parts of Changsub’s drum kit down to the basement and stay behind while they get the amplifiers for the guitars and Ilhoon’s bass. Then I watch while they get everything ready for practice. Peniel is the first to get ready and he says he needs to go to the bathroom and then leaves. I look at his guitar and bite my lip.

“I don’t think he would mind if you play a bit,” Ilhoon says and I shake my head. I have no right to play on someone else’s guitar the moment they leave the room.

“Your sister play the guitar?” Sungjae asks surprised and Ilhoon nods. “Better than Peniel actually,” Ilhoon says and I quickly deny that. “I just played for fun while Ilhoon learned how to play the bass,” I say and the members all look at each other for a while. “Play a little. I want to see your skills,” Sungjae says and I hesitate. “Just do it, Heejin,” Ilhoon says and then I step forward. I take Peniel’s guitar and wrap the strap around my shoulder. My fingers the strings and I can feel that they still remember how to play. I start playing a song and all the guys’ jaws drop. Except Ilhoon who just watches with a slight smile on his lips. Then suddenly another guitar joins in and I realize that Minhyuk has picked up his guitar and plays with me. He walks over while still playing and leans his back against mine so we’re playing together back to back. Then we finish the song and Minhyuk faces me with a huge grin.

“Not bad at all, Heejin,” he says and I smile shyly. Just then Peniel steps forward and I quickly give him back his guitar.

“I’m sorry for using your guitar without asking for permission,” I say and bow slightly. “Don’t be. And you don’t have to act so formal around us, Heejin. Just be comfortable. After all we’re gonna spend a lot of time together in the future,” Peniel says and I just nod. It’s going to take a while before I can act comfortable around the members. But I’ll try.

“And besides,” Peniel says as he puts the strap around his shoulder, “you’ve got mad guitar skills so no need to apologize.”

I smile slightly and walk out of their way just as they start practicing.

  After about half an hour they decide to take a short break. Two of the members walk outside to get some fresh air and one goes outside to smoke. That leaves Eunkwang, Sungjae, my brother and I in the basement.

“You’re really good,” I say and Ilhoon smiles widely while gently his bass. “We’re not just playing for fun you know,” he says and then looks at his two remaining members, “we’ll change the world with these guitars.”

I can’t help but smile because of my brother’s passion for music. “You should join us,” Eunkwang says and I scoff, “your guitar skills are amazing and I wouldn’t mind having a girl in the band. Besides Minhyuk acknowledges your skills and it’s very hard to impress him.”

I raise an eyebrow and ask how he knows that Minhyuk acknowledges my skills. “Minhyuk only plays with people whose skills are good enough for his standards. But if he plays with you and stands back to back with you that means that he thinks you’re almost as good as him and he admires your guitar skills.”

I’m surprised by the fact that Minhyuk thinks I’m a good guitar player when I never played as serious as the members in the band do. But somehow I feel… flattered.

“It’s okay that Minhyuk acknowledges her but he can’t fall for her and try to take her away. She’s my muse,” Sungjae says and Ilhoon’s face turns red because of anger. But I just roll my eyes and ask: “How did you even get to know about the concept ‘muse’?”

“I’ve watched the drama ‘Shut up flower boy band’,” he says and smiles as if he’s proud of that fact. I stare dumbfounded at him for a while and just wait for him to tell me it was a joke. When he doesn’t do that, I sigh.

“You have got to be kidding me…” I say in a subdued voice and slightly shake my head. “Would I look at you with this serious face if I was kidding?” Sungjae asks and almost sounds offended. I look at him and smirk. “I didn’t know you had a serious face,” I say and he frowns. “Then what do I have on stage?” he asks and I think about it for a while. “On stage you look y and charismatic,” I say and a wide smile immediately spreads across his face. “I can live with that,” he says and I chuckle. “Yeah I thought so.”

Just then the remaining members come back and pick up their instruments. After a short while they start playing again and I listen with a big smile on my face that probably makes me look like an idiot. But I don’t care. Even though these boys live in a world so different from mine I can’t help but feel drawn to them. They intrigue me and I want to know more. I want to stay by their side and see where this goes.