No Cavities

No Cavities

    "Have you had any x-rays done recently?"

    "Mm, not really,"

    "Okay, we'll do some scans then.  If you could please follow me to the x-ray room,"

    "Mhm, okay,"

    "Please take off any jewelry you might be wearing,"

    "Oh, I'm not wearing any," a pause. "I think,"

    "Alright, if you could please stand here and bite on this." a pause as he adjusts himself as told. "No, bite here.  There is a little indent," a pause for awkward mouth movement. "Okay, it'll take about 10 seconds.  Don't move, okay?"

    "Mhhmm,"

    Hoseok counts.  It actually takes 13 seconds for the two tan rectangles to revolve around his head.  He doesn't move from his spot until the dentist walks back into the room and tells him he can step off of the slightly raised platform. The dentist doesn't tell him that he can leave, but she doesn't tell him to stay either.  Hoseok finds himself tottering in the hallway, debating whether to wait for the dentist or to go to his assigned room.  He darts down to his room when he hears the dentist shuffling towards the hallway.

    She doesn't walk into his room, and Hoseok finds himself pulling out his phone and checking up on Twitter.  He sits there for nearly 12 minutes before a different dentist walks in and greets him.

    "Hello, uh," a pause as the new dentist shuffles through his folders. "Hoseok. How are you?"

    "Good,"  

    "Ah, that's good,"  a pause as the conversation comes to a sudden halt.  Hoseok is relieved when the dentists busies himself with the computer set on a desk off to the side.  All of a sudden various x-rays of sets of teeth appear on the screen.  Hoseok can't hold back.

    "Are those my teeth?"

    "Yes, they are,"

    Hoseok nearly chokes, on his laughter or on the rising disgust in his throat, he can't decide. "Wow, they're ugly,"  he thinks he hears the dentist agree. 
    The dentist leaves, allowing Hoseok a clear view of his repulsive mouth x-rays.  Nobody shows up for another 17 minutes. 

    The first dentist walks in without a word and begins setting out instruments.  She pulls up a chair next to Hoseok and reaches over to press down on buttons under the handle of Hoseok's chair.  Suddenly, he feels himself glide down.  He twists in his seat, trying to get in a comfortable position.  

    He is caught off guard when his back begins to recline downwards as well.  Hoseok is positive this lady wants to see him slide off of the chair.

    Then the cleaning begins.

    Oh, whoa.  She didn't even ask me what kind of toothpaste I wanted. 

    What is this?  Is that toothpaste brown? Is she trying to make it match with the color of my teeth?  

    Oh, spray me, why don't you.  

    Yes, I know that closing my mouth will only cause more water to splash out, but c'mon.  It's a reflex to wince when I'm being brutally attacked.

    Why do you talk to me?

    Stop. Please.

    Ah, my mouth is so dry.  Oh! My lips, my lips!

    No, I cannot open my mouth wider.  Goddamn.

    Did you really just tell me that it's normal for my gums to bleed after flossing?  What. 

    Stop.

    Please stop existing.  I beg of you.

    , could you not scrape my teeth like that? 

    I am not happy right now.

    Nope.

    I thought I would bring hope.

    Is it over.

    Please, tell me you're done.  Go away, please.

    Are you done?

    "Okay, all done,"

    "Wow, really? That was so quick,"

    "Yeah, all done.  You have very clean teeth.  No cavities, very nice,"

    Hoseok glares at the dentist after she leaves.  He walks down the hall, turning his head when passing open rooms.

    "Oh, hey Taehyung."

    "Hey, are you done?"

    "Yeah, no cavities,"

    "Ah, nice.  I think Jimin has like two,"

 



I'm very sorry. I don't know what I'm doing.