Oh, Child

Oh, Child

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

 

The sweet aroma of cinnamon buns and marble bread permeated the air. The sun was just rising, soft beams of light passed through the window, casting everything in a soft glow. Mornings at the bakery were Joonmyun’s favorite time of day. Everything was so soft and warm and magical. Untainted by the noise of customers or busybodies. It was just Joonmyun, his kitchen, and the unending ingredients waiting to be baked and prepared - a loud crash echoed from the front, destroying the tranquility - and, of course, co-workers.

It was just Baekhyun, Minseok and him who worked at the small café that Joonmyun proudly owned. It was hidden in a corner right by a daycare and they were never as full as the chain cafés close by but they made enough to keep them going.

Joonmyun had dreamt of owning a small bakery ever since he could remember. He loved baking,creating something with his own two hands. Seeing his parents enjoy his pastries made him want to share that joy with hundreds of people. 

Baekhyun, however, was just here for the pay.

“And all your yummy leftovers, too. Can’t let good food go to waste now, can we?” He would say at the end of the day, long after the last customer had left, his mischievous grin on full display. Joonmyun would just sigh, never really stopping Baekhyun from breaking the rules, instead choosing to turn a blind eye and finish cleaning the kitchen in preparation for tomorrow.

Regardless, Baekhyun never slacked on the job, serving customers with a smile and studiously following Minseok around like a puppy to learn how to properly prepare cappuccinos, Americanos, and lattes.

Minseok was the reason Joonmyun’s dream of a small bakery had transformed into one of a café. They had met in university, were roommates actually. They had shared each other’s dreams, of opening a bakery and the other of owning a quaint coffee store with him as the head barista. However, upon graduating, they both discovered how cruel the “real world” could be. Neither one was successful enough to stay open for more than a couple of months.

It was then that they had bumped into each other at a bar the bitter taste of failure still fresh in their mouths. Under the heady influence of alcohol, they came up with the brilliant idea of combining their dreams and opening a café. They woke up next morning hung over but with hope drumming at the back of their minds.

Months passed before the café was up and running, Baekhyun having joined them somewhere in between Minseok’s second meltdown and Joonmyun’s fifth. Baekhyun became their anchor. His jokes and sass kept them sane long enough for them to reach opening day without another meltdown.

Two years later and their café was still going strong. Baekhyun enjoyed helping out whenever he was needed but he never really said what he was studying for or if he was even attending university. He was a book tightly wrapped up and hidden away never giving a hint as to what he was really thinking. Yet, there was one time he had opened up to his two hyungs. He had once drunkenly told them that he really looked up to them.

“You guys built this little place and you both look so happy doing what ya do, ya know? I wish I had that. You two are really something.” After that his speech became too slurred for either one to comprehend so they decided to call it a night and call a taxi for Baekhyun to get home.

Joonmyun was brought back to the present after hearing another loud crash followed by cursing from the front.

“Baekhyun are you ok in there?” Joonmyun called out, pulling the last of the pastries out of the oven. Opening time was near and Joonmyun needed to put all the baked goods on display.

“I’m ok! Just dropped a chair.” Joonmyun had long stopped questioning Baekhyun and his quirks. He turned his attention back to the pastries. This particular batch wouldn’t be ready until later so he set them on the rack to cool. That should last them till around brunch time when most people came for the croissants and scones.

Joonmyun took one last whiff as Minseok’s voice drifted to all the way back to the kitchen.

“Opening time~”

~

It was around eleven when Joonmyun decided to take a small break. Time between brunch and lunch were always the quietest for him since all the baking was pretty much done for the day. They only really stayed open in the afternoon for the small crowd of businessmen out on lunch break and in desperate need of caffeine.

He was two steps out the door, still in his uniform, and ready for his lunch break when he noticed the elderly lady struggling with her bag from the bakery. She seemed to be trying to reach into the bag while simultaneously holding on to it. Joonmyun immediately rushed to her side offering to hold the bags.

“Oh thank you! I’m sorry I was just trying to give this little boy here some food. Looks mighty hungry, poor thing,” she explained as she reached into the bag Joonmyun was now holding. He turned around and spotted the little boy looking enraptured at the bags now in Joonmyun’s arms. His large chocolate brown eyes were large and round never straying from the bag. His cheeks were round his lips full and his dark brown hair, far too large, reached down past his eyebrows. His eyes went down and it was then he noticed how scrawny and thin the boy’s figure was. He was holding on tightly to a stuffed unicorn that looked like it hadn’t been washed in years.

Joonmyun felt every maternal instinct inside him flare to life. He just wanted to cuddle the boy and take him home to feed and bathe and spoil till his round little cheeks hurt from smiling.

“Here you go, sweetie.” Joonmyun snapped out of his fantasy world upon hearing the lady’s voice watching her hand a slice of pound lemon cake to the little boy. He cradled the pastry in his hands “thank you” written all over his face. She patted him on the head, a silent you’re welcome. The boy scampering off afterwards a bright smile streaked across his face.

“Who was that little boy?” Joonmyun asked, curious eyes never leaving the small little boy.

“I don’t know his name exactly. Kid never really speaks.” A small fond chuckle. “But I do know he lives in a foster care nearby. I sometimes see him out here just staring at the bread on display. Cute kid. Doesn’t seem to get fed much though.” A frown. Joonmyun thanked her and helped her place her bags inside her car.

Lunch hour left Joonmyun with the thoughts of a scrawny little boy and his bright bright smile.



It was nearing Joonmyun’s lunch break. He made sure the bagels and croissants were all safely wrapped up before heading outside the bakery. Just like all the other days, the little boy was sitting off to the side of the bakery his stuffed unicorn held tightly in his arms. Today he was in a bright red T-shirt hanging loosely from his frame and black basketball shorts. His socks were mismatched, one blue the other red, and his tennis shoes look like they would fall apart any second.

His heart did that aching thing it did whenever he caught sight of the small boy. He really wanted to bring him actual food but his only talent in the kitchen surfaced when it came to pastries. Everything else was either scratched off as inedible or very very burnt.

Joonmyun walked up slowly towards the small boy. True to what the old lady had said the little boy never spoke. He knew nothing about the boy other than he always ran in the same direction - Joonmyun assumed that’s where the foster care was located. He was sorely tempted to follow the boy back and see the conditions he lived in. But, more than that, he wanted the trust of the little boy.

The little boy spotted him and instantly the same bright smile came out eyes glued to the brown paper bag Joonmyun was holding.

“Here you go, little buddy,” Joonmyun tentatively patted his head as he handed the little boy the bag. The little boy seemed to be lost in thought, staring hard at the bag now in his hands before lifting his head to stare at Joonmyun instead.

“Jongin. Name is Jongin, not little buddy,” Jongin whispered. He then bit his lower lip and turned and ran back to wherever it was he ran to every day.

Needless to say, Joonmyun got back from his lunch break a bright smile bordering on creepy spread across his face.

Baekhyun and Minseok thought better than to ask.



A flower. That’s what Jongin reminded Joonmyun of. A small, tiny flower slowly opening its petals getting ready to bloom and open up. Little by little, Joonmyun carried a new petal of information from Jongin. He was raised in foster care having been abandoned as a baby newborn. All the bread he received from Joonmyun’s bakery he shared with his brother back home. Of course, they got fed at the foster care. Did Jongin want to get adopted?

“My mommy and daddy will come someday. I just have to wait a bit. That’s what our caretaker tells us. Good things come to those who wait,” Jongin recited, beaming as Joonmyun praised him for being such a nice, patient kid.

~

“I want to adopt,” Joonmyun proclaimed one day at work as Baekhyun pulled chairs off tables and Minseok roasted coffee beans.

“You mean like a cat?” Minseok distractingly asked.

“What? No no. Not a cat...”

“Oh, so a dog?”

“What? You know I don’t like dogs, Minseok!”

“Who doesn’t like dogs?” Baekhyun piped in.

“Joonmyun doesn’t like dogs.”

“Why wouldn’t he like dogs? Why would anyone NOT like dogs?”

“I WANT TO BE A FATHER TO A CHILD!” Joonmyun finally yelled out, exasperated with how the conversation was spiraling out of control. Baekhyun dropped a chair on his foot.

“What brought this on?” Minseok asked. Joonmyun went on to tell them about Jongin, mixing the batter for the first set of cupcakes.

"He just has the brightest eyes ever. They especially light up whenever he sees the bag of goodies I have for him. I just...sometimes I want to pack him an actual lunch, you know? I worry he doesn't eat enough for his age." Joonmyun chewed on his bottom lip in worry.

"You really put a lot of thought into this, haven't you?" Minseok asked.

"How long have you even known the kid?" Baekhyun interjected. It was the first time Joonmyun had shown any interest in anything that wasn't café related. He couldn't help it if his curiosity got the best of him.

"Two weeks!" Joonmyun exclaimed.

"Don't you think that's a short while to know...anyone?" Joonmyun looked at Baekhyun in surprise. "Sometimes you just know, Baek." Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders turning back to fixing the chairs. Not his problem.

~

Work at the café continued on as normal after Joonmyun’s little announcement. Businessmen came first, bright and early, in their stiff suits and bright cufflinks. Shortly after the college students dropped by. Some had the telltale signs of sleepless nights and others looked ready to start their mornings after a high dosage of caffeine and one of Joonmyun’s popular chocolate chip muffins.

The real surprise came at lunch break. Just as Joonmyun finished packing the leftover pastries for Jongin, Baekhyun came into the kitchen and threw his apron on the table. In his hands were a juice bottle and a small bag of cut apples.

“Figured your friend might want something other than bread,” Baekhyun replied to Joonmyun’s questioning look. “That and I want to meet the little guy who has stolen your heart so quickly.” The last part was said with teasing tones, his mischievous smile coming out.

“Fine,” Joonmyun sighed. He knew when to give in to Baekhyun. There was just no winning against him when he had that look on his face. “But what about Minseok?”

“He said he’ll be fine on his own. Not like we get that many customers at this time, anyway.” Joonmyun nodded his head before leading the way outside.

“By the way, his name is Jongin.”

~

To say Jongin became shy around Baekhyun would be an understatement. When he spotted the two grown men coming towards him, he immediately scampered to Joonmyun’s side, tiny hand automatically reaching out to clutch at Joonmyun’s pants, the other hand wrapped tightly around the unicorn. His chocolate eyes stared warily at Baekhyun as he bent down to say hi.

“Hello Jongin. My name’s Baekhyun. It’s nice to meet you,” Baekhyun said softly, speaking in a soft, soothing tone. Jongin only pressed himself closer to Joonmyun’s legs. When it became apparent he wasn’t going to reply, Baekhyun continued speaking.

“Joonmyun’s told me a lot about you.” Here he shot Joonmyun a hesitant look. Joonmyun smiled in encouragement, patting Jongin’s head to calm him. “He told me he always brought you bread so I figured you could do with something new.” Baekhyun held out the small snacks waiting for Jongin to take them.

Jongin, however, chose to stare up at Joonmyun instead.

“It’s ok. Baekhyun is just being friendly. Between you and me he can be a little weird.” Joonmyun playfully mock whispers at Jongin causing his bright smile to finally appear. “Take the snacks. If you don’t like them then you can just share them with your brother. And don’t forget to say thank you.”

Jongin walked quickly towards Baekhyun, murmuring a soft thank you, before all but running back to Joonmyun. Baekhyun stepped to the side afterwards, watching their interaction as their lunch hour break slowly ticked by.

~

“How did meeting the mysterious little kid go?” Minseok asked upon their return.

“He’s a brat.” Baekhyun grumbled, storming all the way to the kitchen to retrieve his apron.

“He was not!” Joonmyun’s voice raised in defense. “You should’ve seen him Minseok! He was absolutely adorable. He came up to me and hugged my leg and he has the cutest tiniest hands and his laugh you should hear him laugh!” Minseok smiled, listening to Joonmyun drone on and on about Jongin. I need to meet this kid.



The next day followed this new routine, except this time Minseok went along with Joonmyun.

None of my machines better not be broken when we come back, Byun Baekhyun!

Yah, how dare you even think I could commit such a crime?

Well there was that one time you broke his coffee roasting machine…

ONE TIME. IT WAS ONE TIME.

I’m watching you, Byun. Eyes. On. You.


Baekhyun saw them off with a glare. Minseok glared back before closing the door, following Joonmyun to his and Jongin’s meeting place. This time, Minseok had a Happy Meal in tow with a glass of orange juice.

“It’s like you guys think I’m incapable of feeding him.”

“Well we both know how stellar your skills in the kitchen are.” Joonmyun pouted at his best friend unable to deny the truth.

This time, Jongin reacted differently. He still clung to Joonmyun's leg like it was his lifeline but, now, he did his best to converse with Minseok. They noticed him struggling with the way he kept fidgeting and how he avoided eye contact as much as possible. Joonmyun made sure to praise him and pet his head before sending him off.

"Doesn't it ever make you wonder?" Minseok whispered his eyes a peculiar shade of foreboding.

"Make me wonder what?" Joonmyun felt confused at the tense aura. He had thought the meeting went well. Better than yesterday, anyway.

"What kind of place lets a kid that young walk around on his own? And look at how skinny he is, with all the food you've been giving him he should be a little more filled out, whether he shares with his brother or not."

Sigh. "I know but what would you suggest I do?"

"Go to the foster care. See if he'll take you."

"If he refuses?"

"Google." Minseok flashed his cheeky grin instantly dispelling the aura from before. Joonmyun chuckled.

"Ok. Ok I will."

"And...hey Joonmyun...while you're there you can...you know....ask to adopt...him." 

Joonmyun looked up at Minseok in shock.

"I thought you and Baekhyun were all it's too soon and ." Minseok snorted.

"That's before we saw you two together. I swear to God I could see sparkles and unicorns shooting out of your , you looked so happy." He rubbed his neck in embarrassment. He couldn't help himself, Jongin was just so cute.

"Thank you."

"Just please be sure to stop by and get a McDonald's Happy Meal or something. That kid needs more than just bread."

"I got it I got it. Thank you oh all-knowing Minseok. I'll be sure to get some nuggets. Nuggets never fail."

"That's the spirit!"

They walked back to the café their laughter echoing in the busy streets.



Today was Sunday and Joonmyun was going to go into the foster care and see if he could adapt Jongin. Sunday. So Joonmyun got his best button down shirt and khakis, and headed down to the corner where he would normally meet up Jongin. Just as he hoped, Jongin sat there waiting for him. He had told him yesterday that he would stop by and visit him.

"Hello Jongin!" Joonmyun greeted cheerily. Jongin waved back enthusiastically in greeting, eyes glued, for once, on his face and not the food he held in his arms. It made Joonmyun's heart feel fuller and warmer than he thought was possible.

He waited for Jongin to finish eating before asking if he could take him to his home pretty please with a cherry on top? I just wanna see what it looks like. Jongin seemed really hesitant at first, unsure even. Jongin was shy and conservative and seemed picky with who he opens up to if the prior meetings with two of his closest friends was anything to go by.

"If you don't want to, you can say no. I won't get mad, Jongin. I can always wait for some other day," Joonmyun gently spoke, hoping to ease his little Jongin. The little boy, however, just studied his face for a few seconds before he grabbed his hand and started pulling him in the direction Joonmyun's always seen him run to. Jongin said very little but the closer they got to the foster care the tighter Jongin’s grip on his index and middle finger became. It was almost as if he was afraid.

It wasn’t long before they reached the house. There was a broken tricycle on the yard, the pavement leading up to the door cracked and uneven. The shutters were shut tight and quite a couple of tiles on the roof were missing. Nothing about this place screamed “home” to Joonmyun.

This time it was Joonmyun who tightened his grip and led them the rest of the way. He knocked three times on the door and waited. To ease the tension, Joonmyun swung their connected hands slowly, back and forth back and forth.

“Do you have a key to get inside?” Joonmyun didn’t want to be intrusive but it didn’t look like anyone was going to come to the door anytime soon.

“No, I usually wait for Hun hyung to come to open the door,” Jongin replied easily, his other hand latched onto his pinky, his whole body swaying with Joonmyun’s hand now.

“So you just wait out here? Alone?!” Joonmyun couldn’t stop the indignant tone from creeping into his voice.

“Yea,” Jongin answered distractedly, thoroughly entertained playing with Joonmyun’s fingers when they heard the sound of the door unlocking. He instantly stopped swinging their arms together and instead crowded around Joonmyun’s legs, staring at the door as it slowly swung open. The tension was back in Jongin’s petite body and it sent every warning bell in Joonmyun’s head ringing.

A tall man peeked his head out the doorway, beard unshaven and hair cut in a buzz cut. His beady eyes peered at Joonmyun, sizing him up. It was then that he seemed to notice Jongin.

“What are you waiting for? Are you coming inside or not?” The man’s voice was gruff and everything about his facial expression seemed unkind. Joonmyun felt the tiny hands squeeze his fingers, hard, before they let go and dropped to his side. Joonmyun petted Jongin's head reassuringly, watching as Jongin shot him a small smile before slipping past the tall man and into the house. The tall man shut the door shortly after, stepping outside to speak to Joonmyun.

"You're here to adopt, aren't you?"

"Yes I am."

"Let me save you the trouble and tell you that you can't adopt if you're single." He sneered the words out, having noticed Joonmyun's lack of a companion. "These kids come from a broken home. Don't want them going into another one." Joonmyun colored at the implication.

"And what if I'm not single?" Joonmyun heatedly shot back. His jaw was set in determination.

"Then I guess I'll be seeing a lot more of you Mr..."

"Joonmyun. Kim Joonmyun."

"Well Mr. Joonmyun my name is Ki Chul. I look forward to seeing you more in the future. Along with your...significant other. "The man was sliding in through the crack in the doorway, as if he was reluctant for anyone to see inside, when he noticed someone past Joonmyun's shoulder.

"Yah, Sehun! Stop loitering and hurry up inside! Dinner will be ready soon." The tall man barked out at a tall thin boy standing by the gate. He grunted in response, turning his attention back to his cell phone the sound of a door slamming shut resonating loudly behind Joonmyun. Sehun was tall and similarly thin to Jongin, both looking as if they’re barely just fed. His hair was bleached an ash blond that Joonmyun was pretty sure went against school policies. Judging by his uniform, Sehun was in high school, having seen many high school students stop by the café.

Joonmyun ambled down back the pavement his thoughts beating the inside of his head. A hand latched onto his upper arm stopping him in his tracks. Joonmyun turned around to come face to face with Sehun…or more like face to chest. Sehun was a lot taller up close. Sehun stared at him with a bored expression for a good minute before opening his mouth.

“You’re Jonginnie’s baker hyung, right? You’re the one who gives him all that bread he shares with me,” Sehun asked. His expression was still bored but his tone curious.

“Um, yea. That’s me, baker hyung at your service,” Joonmyun meekly introduced himself.

“Tch, more like tiny hyung,” Sehun smirked. He let go of his arm and patted his head instead. Joonmyun felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment. I’m his hyung goddamn it. Sehun then leaned down and whispered into his ear, “Sorry. And thank you. I haven’t seen Jonginnie this happy since he came here. I hope you coming here means you plan on keeping him by your side.” When Joonmyun leaned back, he saw a small smile on Sehun’s face. “Some of us are too old to have that kind of hope.”

“Too old?” Joonmyun asked, confused.

“I’m a senior in high school. Once I graduate I can leave this place,” the bored expression was back but his tone gave away his venomous feelings towards the foster care. It reminded him of Jongin and all the tension in his petite body.

“Do you guys not…like the foster care?” Joonmyun inquired cautiously. Sehun’s face instantly hardened.

“Did Jonginnie seem…weird when you brought him here?”

“Yes, he did actually.” Sehun hesitated.

“The ‘parents’ - the ones who take care of us – aren’t as nice as most parents should be. I mean, they’re better than the foster cares I came from, don’t get me wrong! But, sometimes, when Chul comes home drunk, he…hurts us.” Joonmyun felt his jaw drop at the confession. How could he sleep at night knowing what that man was DOING to the children? How could he just bring Jongin back here? Joonmyun felt guilt and despair crawl down his spine. He wanted to do nothing more than grab Jongin and Sehun and take them with him somewhere far, far away. 

“How can you go back in there everyday? The authorities need to know about this we need to call CPS and-” 

“And then what?” Sehun interrupted. “We’ll just be moved to a different foster care. It could be here or it could be somewhere miles away. Then what? What if that place is worse? I’ve come from worse! These people - they’re - they’re far from perfect but at least they feed us and give us space and a roof over our heads and, and he only really hits us when he’s drunk...”

Joonmyun exhaled harshly. He didn’t like it. He didn’t like any of it but everything that Sehun was saying...in a twisted way it made sense. Who was to guarantee their next foster care wouldn’t do the same? He had to adopt Jongin now and, oh my God, Sehun. Almost as if he could read his mind, Sehun spoke up.

“My birthday is coming up soon. Then I’ll be eighteen and the next month is graduation and freedom. It’s just two more months, hyung. And I’ll make sure Jongin is safe in the meantime. So don’t worry too much, tiny hyung.” Sehun patted his head again, patronizingly, before walking up to the pavement towards the door.

“You better keep your promise, Sehun!” Sehun waved his arm in acknowledgment, slipping inside the dreary house.

Joonmyun walked back home, his heart and head heavy with thoughts of today.



Joonmyun had a plan. Minseok did not approve of this plan.

"You want me to what now?"

"The guy, Chul or whatever, said I can't adopt if I'm single. Please Minseok! You know I hardly ask favors of you," Joonmyun pleaded throwing on his best impersonation of a kicked puppy.

"I love you, Joonmyun. I really do but I don't think I'd be able to fake being in love with you." Joonmyun frowned. Minseok frowned. Baekhyun just felt really confused. 

"Why can't you pretend to be in a fake relationship with Joonmyun? I do it all the time with Jongdae."

“Yes exa- wait, who is Jongdae?”

“My best friend.” Baekhyun offered no other explanation, simply going back to polishing the tables now that work was done for the day. They were reminded again of just how little they knew about the youngest member of their little trio. Minseok turned back to Joonmyun’s plan.

“Baekhyun may be ok with doing that for his best friend but I just...I can’t. I can’t lie like that with a good conscious. Not to mention we’d have to act like a couple and I can’t act to save my life.” Joonmyun pouted. He was really counting on his best friend to help him.

“Who else am I supposed to ask?” Joonmyun couldn’t help but whine. 

“What about that guy you went to school with, what was his name..”

“Kyungsoo?”

“Yea him! Ask around you have other friends who I’m sure would be more than happy to help,” Minseok exclaimed. Joonmyun bit back the but you’re my BEST friend at the tip of his tongue and huffed his way back into the kitchen. 

~

While he waited for the first batch of éclairs to finish baking, he pulled out his cell phone and scrolled through his contacts. He hadn’t anticipated for Minseok to say no. No matter what, though, he had to find someone else someone willing to play the role of his significant other. He had to. There was no way he was going to let Jongin slip away over a reason as silly as this. So Joonmyun clicked call.

The first rejection stung. 

Oh Joonmyun, I’m sorry. I’m already in a relationship with someone else.”

However, after that, the string of rejections left him stressed out and agitated. He burned through three different batters of cake before Baekhyun finally dragged him out of the kitchen for an early lunch break and a much needed breath of fresh air. 

Baekhyun led him to a small sandwich shop nearby the café. They stepped into line and it was then that Joonmyun noticed Baekhyun’s warm hand rubbing at his back in slow circular motion. It helped ease the tension and he felt his shoulders drooping.

Baekhyun.

Joonmyun whirled to face him, his expression aglow. “Baekhyun can you be my significant other?”

“Joonmyun, is this really the best place to ask me out?” Baekhyun’s smirked his eyes had a mischievous shine to them. It was that gleam that calmed Joonmyun’s heart. He was joking.

“Well, I would have brought flowers but they wouldn’t compare to your beauty.” It was Joonmyun’s turn to smirk.

“Ooooh a charmer. Consider me sold.” Joonmyun beamed and tackled Baekhyun into a hug. Baekhyun laughed and returned the hug, Joonmyun’s joy infectious.

“Come on. Let’s eat quickly so we can go visit Jongin.” Joonmyun didn't need to be told twice. He let go of Baekhyun pointedly ignoring the weird looks from the other customers.

~

Joonmyun felt his heart swell up at the sight of Jongin waiting for him. His eyes perused what skin he could see but couldn’t find any bruises. Not that he had noticed any before. Joonmyun felt Baekhyun pulling at his sleeve.

“Who’s the tall kid?” It was then that Joonmyun noticed Sehun leaning against the building his perpetually bored expression in place.

“Oh, that’s Sehun. He stays in the same foster care as Jongin. I wonder why he’s here.” Jongin leaped up when he spotted Joonmyun coming towards him. Sehun also straightened up and turned around, eyes sliding from Joonmyun to Baekhyun. 

“Jongin you remember Baekhyun, right?” Jongin nodded and whispered a soft hello in greeting before latching on to Joonmyun’s hand. After introducing Baekhyun and Sehun, Joonmyun turned to Sehun gathering Jongin in his arms. After the foster care visit, he felt more overprotective towards Jongin and just wanted to hold him in his arms and shield him from all harm. 

“So what brings you here, Sehun?”

“Jonginnie wouldn’t shut up about you so I decided to visit tiny hyung myself. Plus, I wanted to visit your bakery and get some free goodies.”

“Tiny hyung?” Baekhyun inquired.

“Don’t ask,” Joonmyun huffed. He led the way back to the bakery eager to introduce Minseok to Sehun and to tell him the good news.

~

“So, you and Baekhyun are an item now?” Joonmyun beamed. Jongin and Sehun were off to the side sitting at a table as the last of the customers left the café.

“I’ve been curious. Why didn’t you just ask a girl to be your fake-girlfriend? Not like you don’t have a mini fanclub here,” Baekhyun peered over at Joonmyun, curious. Joonmyun and Minseok both looked back at him baffled.

“Does he not know?

“I don’t think he does.”

“Know what?!”

“Baekhyun, I’m gay.”

“Wait, what?”

“Yup. He came out last year over the summer. Come to think of it you were off on some road trip that summer.”

“Oh, no wonder he doesn’t know.” Minseok nodded sagely.

“I still don’t get it though. Why does he have a fanclub of nothing but girls then?” Minseok shrugged.

“Who knows. Could be in admiration of him coming out.” Joonmyun coughed awkwardly not liking the topic and attention it brought on him. He gestured at the kitchen mumbling something about ‘cleaning’ and ‘baking something for Jongin and Sehun’ before leaving. Minseok sighed at his retreating back. 

“He went through a lot that summer. It’s a small town and word gets around fast.” Minseok’s voice was grim. Baekhyun didn’t like where this was headed. “Most people were accepting, like our customers, others weren’t...as accepting.” Baekhyun frowned.

“But that was last summer. Things are better now,” Minseok reassured Baekhyun, patting his head for good measure.

“I’m not a child to pet,” Baekhyun grumpled shoving Minseok’s hand away. Minseok just chuckled.

“By the way, why did you agree to be Joonmyun’s boyfriend? You letting your admiration for him get the best of you?” Minseok asked in a teasing voice.

“Don’t be silly, I admire the both of you. I would’ve said yes if you asked me to be your pretend boyfriend too.” Baekhyun fluttered his eyelashes at Minseok cracking up at the elder’s expression. “That and, well, you’ve seen the way he looks at Jongin and how Jongin clings to him. It’d be a crime not to lend a helping hand when I had no reason not to.”

“You do realize you’ll probably have to move in together, right? Before every adoption they profile the person adopting to make sure they’re not some sociopath.” Baekhyun blinked.

“Meh, I wouldn’t mind. It was getting lonely in my apartment, anyways.”

“If you say so.” Joonmyun came out of the kitchen two small cheesecake cupcakes in hand. Jongin and Sehun immediately started cheering at the sight, ending whatever little game they were playing in favor of eating up the sweet dessert.

“I made some for you two as well so please eat up. I’m going to take these two home.” Joonmyun flashed them his bright smile ushering the two out the door as they exclaimed over how delicious tiny hyung’s snacks were. 

“No I don’t think I’d mind at all.” 



They decided to move in together after work later that week. Of course, they had to drag Minseok and Sehun for help.

"You need something to do other than laze around and eat all our food." 

Sehun humphed - distinctly annoyed. Joonmyun only ruffled his head, clearly amused by the annoyed expression on Sehun’s face.


However, the big surprise came in a car, after half an hour of moving boxes into Joonmyun’s apartment. A man walked out with a cheshire like smile spread across, his face his auburn hair styled down and curled at the tips.

“This is Jongdae. My best friend,” Baekhyun introduced. “He also works in an adoption agency and offered to help us.” He said, watching Joonmyun. Joonmyun blinked in surprise. He had forgotten about that particular step in the adoption process. 

“What do you do in an adoption agency?” Minseok curiously asked.

“All sorts of things. We help parents find a child that best matches them and do family profiles. We also answer any questions they may have about teh adoption process and offer services to help the family before and after the adoption process is done,” Jongdae explained, his voice smooth as silk.

“This whole adoption thing is a lot more work than I thought,” Minseok commented.

"It's not that bad but that's not why I'm here today. Baekhyun said he was moving and might need some help unpacking boxes?"

"Yes! The boxes are this way," Minseok led Jongdae to the boxes piled inside Baekhyun's car.

"So after two years you're finally introducing us to your best friend. I feel so honoured. Thank you for granting us this privilege, Byun Baekhyun." Joonmyun said teasingly and Baekhyun shoved at him the best he could with two boxes in hand.

"Just shut up and help me unpack so I can finally be done, boyfriend." Joonmyun laughed.

"Anything for you, boyfriend." Baekhyun grumbled about lame fake boyfriends and back pains the rest of the way to Joonmyun's apartment.

~

They chose to move into Joonmyun’s apartment, it being the bigger of the two. It had a large, spacious living room with a beige couch facing a large HD TV built into the wall. The kitchen was small in comparison - a fridge, stove, and oven all meshed in the small space. The rooms, however, were what sold Baekhyun. Joonmyun obviously had the master bedroom with its full length mirror propped against the far wall of the gorgeous, spacious room. A king sized bed was placed directly in the center of the wall, across from the mirror. Not only was it nice, it also had a built in closet that Baekhyun couldn’t wait to help fill with his clothes. Joonmyun had only one guest bedroom in his apartment and, if all went well, it would soon be Jongin’s room. 

“Won’t you two feel weird sharing a room?” Jongdae inquired, the last of the boxes piled in one corner in the living room.

“It’ll be like one very long sleepover!” Baekhyun beamed. 

“If you say so.” Jongdae turned to the stack of boxes. “ We should probably start unpacking these.” Everyone started groaning and dragging their feet over to sort through the pile. Everyone except Joonmyun and Sehun. Sehun quirked his head to the side motioning for Joonmyun to follow him before slipping into the kitchen.

“I just thought you should know that Chul came home drunk yesterday.” Sehun told him gravely and Joonmyun’s jaw dropped in shock.

“Did he hurt Jongin?” Every painful mental image of a hurt Jongin started flashing in his head.

“Of course not! I made a promise, didn’t I?” Joonmyun was instantly flooded with guilt at Sehun’s indignant expression.

“Are you hurt anywhere? Do you need to go see a doctor?” Sehun seemed thrown off by the sudden concern in Joonmyun’s voice. 

“I-I’m fine. It’s just few bruises. He didn’t even hit that hard-” Sehun was interrupted by Joonmyun’s wandering hands. He hissed when Joonmyun poked at his ribs.

“He hit you there? Hold on I’ll get you some ice. I know I have gel for these things somewhere.” He rambled as he rummaged around the kitchen looking for an ice pack.

“I don’t … I’m ok,” Sehun mumbled helplessly but Joonmyun was completely ignoring him now that he found an ice pack.

“Lift up your shirt so I can put this on,” Joonmyun demanded.

“I’d rather not.”

“Well fine you can put it on yourself but I don’t want to see you work anymore. Go lie down on the couch. We’ll finish up here.”

“You worry too much, tiny hyung.”

“Of course I do. Who else is going to worry about you and Jongin?” Joonmyun pinched his cheeks, flashing Sehun his brilliant smile. Sehun felt his insides warm up at the concern in Joonmyun’s eyes.

“I wish...”

“Huh?”

“Jongin’s lucky to find someone like you, tiny hyung.” Sehun patted Joonmyun’s head before slinking off to the couch, taking the ice pack and placing it carefully on his ribs. Joonmyun made sure there was nothing else he needed as he passed by to help unpack the last of the boxes.

They decided to stop unpacking once the sun had set. Sehun was long gone - not wanting to get in the way and also, he had to pick Jongin up from daycare. Minseok had bid them goodbye and trudged out the door soon after. It left Joonmyun alone with Jongdae and Baekhyun.

“I’ll go make us something to eat since baker boy over here can’t cook.” Baekhyun teased and Joonmyun childishly stuck his tongue out as he was unable to come up with a witty remark. Once they heard the sound of pots and pans cluttering in the kitchen, Jongdae turned to Joonmyun.

“I’m surprised he said yes to you.”

"What do you mean?" Joonmyun blinked in surprise and Jongdae chewed on his bottom lip in thought.

“When we were in college, and even in high school, Baekhyun’s always been looking for the one. It’s kind of why he’s so closed off. After all that heartbreak after heartbreak, he just kinda gave up. On people. On himself. But you...you must be someone special for him to willingly agree to be fake in love with.” Oh. “I’m telling you this because I just don’t want him to get hurt. He’s dumb and thinks he’s in love too soon. I don’t care if this is all a ruse to get Jongin; just don’t hurt him. He’s had enough pain thrown at him.”

“I would never.” Joonmyun’s tone was firm.

“Good. That’s all a best friend could ask for.” Jongdae’s cheshire grin was back and Joonmyun couldn’t stop himself from grinning back. It was then that the smell of something burning reached their nostrils. Baekhyun popped back into the living room.

“How about we order take out instead?” Jongdae groaned.

“You’re both hopeless.” 



It took another two days to finish unpacking Baekhyun’s things - what with being caught between work and visiting Jongin. Baekhyun started tagging along with Joonmyun on his visits and, gradually, Jongin got over his shyness even going as far as to greet him without Joonmyun’s encouragement. However, he still clung to Joonmyun’s legs and refused to let go until it the hour was up. 

Jongdae had called after one particular visit when Sehun had promptly shown up at the bakery with Jongin in tow. 

“Don’t worry. It’s a school holiday,” Sehun explained after receiving a glare from Joonmyun. Minseok laughed and made the two boys hot chocolates with Baekhyun sneaking them small pieces of pastry whenever Joonmyun wasn’t fretting over them.

~

“What’s up?” Baekhyun answered, silently fighting with Joonmyun over the remote control. There was this one drama Minseok had recommended that he really wanted to watch.

“...profile. Is that ok?” 

“Sorry can you repeat that? Couldn’t hear you,” Baekhyun huffed as he stretched his body alongside Joonmyun’s in a failed attempt to pry the remote out of his outstretched hand.

“I was saying if it was alright if I came over tomorrow to compl-” the rest of Jongdae’s sentence was lost to Baekhyun as he squawked - Joonmyun having flipped them over in the middle of their tussle. Joonmyun was now sitting on his abdomen with a triumphant smirk on his face the remote held above his head mocking him. 

“Baekhyun!”

“I’m listening! I’m listening!” Baekhyun did his best imitation of a kicked puppy but Joonmyun easily ignored him, choosing instead to settle himself comfortably on Baekhyun’s lap to watch whatever program was on.

Sigh. I just wanted to let you and Joonmyun know that I would come over tomorrow to fill out the family profile.” Jongdae sounded tired but Baekhyun only felt slightly guilty.

“Sure that’s fine.” Baekhyun squirmed in an attempt to dislodge Joonmyun from his lap. Joonmyun only laughed, tangling his and Baekhyun’s legs so there was no way either man could move.

“Fine I’ll see you tomorrow at 4 p.m on the dot. And Baekhyun, please be careful.”

“Jongdae you have nothing to worry about. Joonmyun is the most boring person on the planet.” Joonmyun pouted at Baekhyun causing him to snort and roll his eyes. Joonmyun was not cute.

“If you say so.” With that the line went dead. Baekhyun made himself as comfortable as he could with Joonmyun lying half on top of him, resigned to watching the lame variety program-that-was-not-his-drama. Thirty minutes into the show and Baekhyun was fast asleep.

He woke up the next morning body too warm, muscles aching, too much drool on his shirt courtesy of Joonmyun, and a sticky note plastered on his forehead. He peeled it off and smiled sleepily at the note.

I am not boring!! I just have cautious taste. Felt bad so recorded your stupid drama. Remote is on the table. 
You owe me dinner ;)) 
- Joonmyun 




Later that day, Joonmyun slipped off by himself to visit Jongin. They had a heavy stream of customers coming in and neither Baekhyun nor Minseok could leave. Jongin ran up to him instantly, his stuffed unicorn bouncing with every step.

“I’m sorry it’s taking so long,” Joonmyun blurted out. Jongin looked up at him with those brown brown eyes and Joonmyun thinks he’ll never get used to the swelling feeling in his heart.

“What’s taking so long?”

“Adopting you.” Jongin went to curl his tiny, tiny hands on Joonmyun’s fingers. It’s starting to become a habit, he noted.

“It’s ok. Good things come if we wait, right?” Jongin beamed up at him, clutching tightly to his three fingers.

“Right.” Joonmyun moved to cup Jongin’s face watching, as Jongin nuzzled into the palm of his hand.

Wait for me.

~

As soon as Baekhyun and Joonmyun arrived from work, they began to tidy up the house. Baekhyun had told Joonmyun that despite being best friends, Jongdae took his job very seriously and wasn’t going to go any easier on them than on any other family he has to profile.

“Good. I want to know that Jongin gets nothing but the best.” Baekhyun snorted.

“Brat loves you as much as you love him.” Joonmyun only hummed but for the remainder of the time he had a small smile on his face. 

At four p.m a knock resounded through the apartment. Jongdae was as punctual as ever. Joonmyun at the sound, his nerves getting the best of him. Baekhyun chuckled at the sight and without thinking, he reached out and to squeeze his hand in reassurance. Joonmyun’s look of surprise made Baekhyun want to pull his hand back, however, Joonmyun gripped his hand once before letting go. He flashed Baekhyun a tight lipped smile and went to answer the door. Baekhyun felt rooted to the spot. Had his heart just really skipped a beat?

Baekhyun heard the door opening and closing and the sound of their voices reached him. Baekhyun swallowed and shoved the feelings of apprehension to the far, far recesses of his mind and beamed at Jongdae as the other man entered the living room with a legal pad in hand.

“I see you guys have cleaned up nicely since the last time I was here.” Jongdae commented sarcastically and Baekhyun scoffed.

“Can we just get this family profiling thing over with?”

“How does this family profile thing work?”

“Oh it’s nothing big. We just ask a few personal questions. See what the living conditions are. You know, the usual stuff to make sure you’re not some sociopath who hides kids in basements.” Joonmyun sputtered at the end, unsure if it was a joke or not. Baekhyun and Jongdae burst into laughter at his expression.

“Seriously though Joonmyun, you have little to worry about. From what Baekhyun’s told me I’m sure you’ll pass with flying colors.” Jongdae comfortingly. “I’m not here to judge you on your wealth or what music you listen to. I’m here to make sure that Jongin gets the love and nurturing he needs. That you’ll be supportive and accommodating to any special needs he may have. No parent is perfect. So why would we expect our potential parents to be?” Joonmyun felt heartened by the end of Jongdae’s little speech. He felt a hand squeeze his and turned to find Baekhyun smiling at him. We got this.

Joonmyun took a deep breath.

“So let’s get started shall we?”

~

After Jongdae was done with the whole family profiling procedure, Joonmyun asked what happen next.

“Well, with your autobiographical statement, references, background, and personal information all that’s left is for the agency to process the application and approve it. Once the agency approves, one of our social workers will arrange some meetings between you two and Jongin to observe your interactions with each other. Then the final adoption documents and Jongin is yours!”

“That just sounds lovely.”

“It does. It really does sound lovely,” Joonmyun uttered sincerely. They both thanked Jongdae and wished him a safe drive before softly closing the door behind him. Baekhyun was suddenly all too aware of Joonmyun’s presence.

“Baekhyun?” Baekhyun flinched quickly and tried to hide it behind a forced smile. He really didn’t understand why he was reacting like this. “I just...I wanted to say thank you.” Joonmyun’s eyes were round and earnest, his face glowing with a soft pink hue, and all Baekhyun could think of was how dry his throat was. 

“You didn’t have to do this...any of this but you did,” Joonmyun continued as he looked Baekhyun in the eyes, “So thank you. If there’s ever anything I can do for you, anything at all, please don’t hesitate to ask. I could never repay you or thank you enough.” Then Joonmyun’s voice suddenly cracked at the end, his eyes b with tears. Baekhyun’s heart was aching and he really didn’t want to think of the whys - he just needed Joonmyun to stop. Stop before he couldn’t help himself and lean forward and-

“Don’t be silly! I’m the one who owes you dinner after all,” Baekhyun stopped himself from thinking further and made himself lean forward to wipe at Joonmyun’s eyes instead. If Baekhyun wanted to, he could spread his fingers and cup Joonmyun’s face in the palms of his hands. He quickly snatched his hands back turning them into fists at his side.

“It’s been a long day and we still have to work tomorrow so let’s just stay in, watch a movie and eat some takeout. We can go out on that dinner date once this whole thing is done. How does that sound, babe?” Joonmyun burst out in laughter at the term of endearment and the atrocious wink Baekhyun had sent him. 

“Movie and take out sound perfect.” They headed towards the living room discussing what movie to watch. Baekhyun spent the rest of the evening stuffing every non platonic feeling towards his friend of two years down every crevice and into the shadows at the back of his mind.



Three meetings were scheduled in total. Unfortunately, Jongdae wouldn’t be the one supervising the meetings. Instead, they were sending someone called Luhan. 

“No need to worry. Luhan’s a nice guy. Just do what you always do and I’m sure you’ll both do fine. Just don’t forget to act like a couple too.”

“We won’t,” Baekhyun responded. Yet, he worried at his bottom lip. Joonmyun never pushed Baekhyun into doing things with him - only holding hands or leaning in close when Baekhyun initiated things. What bothered Baekhyun the most was how often he found himself subconsciously initiating contact. Without thinking, his hand would reach out for Joonmyun’s and by the time he realized what he’d done, their fingers were intertwined and Joonmyun would have his stupid dorky smile on his face, the one that turned his eyes into little crescents, and Baekhyun’s heart would accelerate and stutter at intervals preening for Joonmyun’s attention.

Part of Baekhyun wanted to stop acting like a couple. He wanted to squash the yearning festering inside of him. A part of Baekhyun wanted them to stop acting like a couple and be an actual couple and it scared him just how big that part of him was. 

“So what did Jongdae say?” Joonmyun’s voice interrupted his thoughts and Baekhyun jumped, having forgotten where he was. Oh, rite. Work. 

“Not much. He won’t be the one supervising our meetings with Jongin but that’s not important.”

“What do you mean it’s not important?”

“All he needs is one meeting to see the glitter and rainbows and hearts that shoot out of your eyes whenever you two see each other.” Baekhyun snorted and Joonmyun blushed, clearly pleased.

“Well that’s one less thing to worry about then isn’t it?” Joonmyun flashed him a smile and practically skipped all the way to the kitchen.

“No grown man should skip around a bakery no matter how happy he is,” Minseok grumbled behind Baekhyun.

“I think it’s cute,” Baekhyun huffed, slightly defensive on Joonmyun’s behalf. Or that’s what he told himself, at least. 

“Tiny hyung is cute.” Baekhyun yelled out in shock. He whirled around to come face to face with Sehun.

“You! Shouldn’t you be at school?”

“Skipping,” Sehun shrugged.

“Oh, Joonmyun won’t like that,” Minseok stage whispered from behind the counter. Sehun frowned.

“Please don’t tell tiny hyung,” Sehun muttered.

“Tell me what?” Baekhyun hissed at the new voice. He really wished people would stop appearing out of nowhere. Joonmyun smiled apologetically before turning back to Sehun a fresh batch of muffins in his hands.

“That I, ah, don’t, um don’t like your strawberry shortcakes! Yes, you should work on those strawberry shortcakes. They’re a bit lacking. Now if you’ll excuse me lunch break is almost over and I must return to class.” Sehun bowed slightly, turning on his heel and walking briskly towards the exit. 

“The effect you have on kids,” Minseok tsked taking the muffins from Joonmyun. “You should be the president and inspire young children to do good.”

“President? Did I ever tell you guys I used to be the president of the student council four years in a row,” Joonmyun launched into a heroic tale of his days as the student council president. Cute. How cute. Baekhyun mentally berated himself choosing instead to busy himself with customers. 

~

Baekhyun waited for Joonmyun to finish locking up after work. They were going to go to Gi Chul’s foster care where the meeting was to take place. Joonmyun wanted nothing more than to blurt to Luhan, a social worker, the beatings that went on under that roof but then he would hear Sehun’s voice in his head and knew he never could. Soon.

Joonmyun quietly led Baekhyun to the small house. Despite all their earlier confidence, both felt their nerves get the better of them the closer they reached the house. Everything rode on the final decision made by Luhan.

They trudged up the pathway to the door. This time, Joonmyun made sure to knock loudly and firmly. The sound of little feet running to the door confused Joonmyun until it was thrown wide open and Joonmyun felt something familiar and small latch onto his legs. Jongin. Jongin untangled himself from Joonmyun’s legs beaming up at him as he made a grab at Joonmyun’s hand.

“Come on come on! Everyone’s waiting!!” Jongin babbled, pulling on Joonmyun’s hand incessantly. Joonmyun outstretched his other hand to Baekhyun meaning only to motion for the other man to follow, however, Baekhyun’s hand automatically wrapped around Joonmyun’s and the three of them walked inside.

“Oooh how cute,” a man with narrow face and ebony black hair cooed. He was smiling in their direction, doe eyes bright and focused. Beside the man stood Gi Chul. Joonmyun noticed that Chul’s face was clean and shaven today but his beady eyes still held the same judgement. Joonmyun squeezed Baekhyun’s hand. That’s right. He was here to prove his worth.

“You must be Luhan. It’s nice to meet you.” Baekhyun reluctantly let go of Joonmyun’s hand so he could properly shake hands with the social worker. Once introductions were finished, Luhan turned to Joonmyun and Baekhyun.

“Feel free to act as if I’m not here and just interact normally.” Fat chance, Baekhyun thought. He was pulled out of his thoughts when he felt something wrap around his index finger. He looked down to see an uncertain Jongin looking up at him. He smiled and squeezed the tiny hand holding onto his finger.

“Come on I’ll show you guys my room and then after that we can go to Hun hyung’s room!”

Luhan quietly followed the trio with his eyes from time to time - other times shifting from room to room with them, but always careful not to attract their attention. He knew his presence couldn’t be ignored completely but the endgame was the interaction between the parent and the child. 

Luhan was about to call for their attention when Joonmyun bent down to Jongin’s eye level. Joonmyun seemed to whisper something to Jongin, something that made his eyes widen in surprise? A little bit of fear? But he’s nodding his head and spreading his arms. In the blink of an eye Joonmyun is back up on his feet, this time with Jongin in his arms. The boy had his arms tightly wrapped around Joonmyun’s neck his face burrowing into his shoulder. It was obvious the boy wasn’t used to this kind of physical affection. Luhan mentally took a note of this. The other man, Baekhyun, was the boy’s head muttering soothing words and the boy, little by little, seemed to loosen his grip. After a few more words he lifted his head and looked up at Joonmyun the other man’s gaze following suit. Unknowingly, they both had the same lovestruck look on their faces. Luhan smiled. It was time to call it a day. 

~

“What do you think he meant when he said the other two meetings wouldn’t be necessary?” Joonmyun asked voice laced with worry.

“He meant that we are the most amazing fathers this country has ever been graced with so two extra meetings are totally unnecessary.” Baekhyun didn’t see the point in worrying. He thought they did a wonderful job, Jongin had even gone up and talked to him of his own free will! He was on top of the world and nothing could bring him down! He felt a hand petting his head and turned around ready to tell off whoever it was, only to have Joonmyun’s face much much much too close. He laughed breathlessly and Baekhyun could feel his breath fan against his cheek. If he leaned even a little bit further than his lips would-

“You’re really cute, Baekhyun.” Joonmyun’s voice interrupted his daydream. Right. Not reality.

“As if I didn’t already know,” Baekhyun grunted, fighting down the blush threatening to overtake his cheeks.

“I have the cutest boyfriend,” Joonmyun hummed. Fake boyfriend. Not reality.



As they waited to hear back from Jongdae, the two men got more and more anxious. Joonmyun was once again burning batches and batches of pastries and Baekhyun was mixing orders from different tables. After smelling the aroma of burned products for the nth time Minseok had finally had enough. He barged into the kitchen and dragged Baekhyun with him. He stomped over to where Joonmyun was dozing off and shut down the oven, grabbing the oven mittens and chucking whatever was inside in the oven to the trash. The noise seemed to snap Joonmyun out of it. 

“Minseok...”

“No. Enough is enough! You’re both doing more harm than good. I’m closing the café for today. You two need to go and figure out what went on with the meeting or whatever from Jongdae. You two are stressed out enough and I don’t want work to add on more.” Minseok shot them both meaningful glances. Baekhyun was once again reminded why he admired Minseok. 

“Thank you, Minseok,” Joonmyun uttered quietly. The two exchanged a certain glance before Minseok ushered them out of the bakery.

“So what now?” Baekhyun asked unable to look Joonmyun in the face. What was that look supposed to mean?

“There’s a park nearby. Want to go there and call Jongdae?”

“Yea. Sure.” They walked briskly to the park sitting down on the first bench they spotted. Joonmyun fidgeted nervously beside him as he marked Jongdae’s number. The dial tone seemed to ring for too long. Every second dragged on for a minute and Baekhyun felt ready to get up and bolt straight to Jongdae’s apartment on the other side of the city. 

“Hello?”

“Took you long enough, Kim Jongdae!” He felt Joonmyun lay his hand atop of his, squeezing, comforting.

“Jesus ing Christ Baekhyun. I’m at work.”

“Sorry. Just .. Joonmyun and I’ve been wondering … Luhan said the other two meetings weren’t necessary … but no calls ...” Baekhyun wet his lips, suddenly feeling really parched. Joonmyun was rubbing his thumb over the knuckles on Baekhyun’s hands and he was finding it harder and harder to concentrate.

“Ooooh, oh no! I’m sorry about that - things have been hectic here. We had a separate foster care under investigation for child abuse, but that’s neither here nor there.” Baekhyun felt a stab of guilt for hassling his best friend. “You didn’t hear it from me but...” Jongdae left the sentence hanging the tease obvious in his voice. 

“But?!”

“But Luhan said you guys passed with flying colors! Hahaha! Congrats you two! You can come in any day to fill in the papers and Jongin is yours!” Baekhyun let out a loud whoop startling Joonmyun and the few people passing by on the trail. Baekhyun quickly thanked Jongdae before delivering the good news to Joonmyun. To see the joy slowly spread on his face, Baekhyun’s heart ached in a good way and instinctively, he got on his feet and kissed Joonmyun square on the lips.

Baekhyun bolted back once his mind caught up with his heart, and all he could see was the shock on Joonmyun’s face. 

“Baekhyun...”

Baekhyun twisted around and ran as far as his feet could take him.

~

Turned out his feet didn’t have to take him very far. Baekhyun had just past Jongin and Joonmyun’s meeting spot when he bumped into Jongdae. Baekhyun felt even more confused.

“I just got off the phone with you. How? Wha?” Jongdae smirked holding up a manila envelope that Baekhyun had failed to notice.

“What’s that?” Baekhyun asked stupidly mind still reeling.

“The official documents that you and Joonmyun have to sign and then the adoption will be complete,” Jongdae waved the envelope excitedly. He slowly stopped and dropped his hand to his side. He took one look at Baekhyun’s face and sighed.

“You like him, don’t you?”

“I kissed him.”

“And how was that?”

“You’re not surprised?” Baekhyun asked. 

“No, not really. I mean the guy is totally your type-”

“I do not have a type!” 

“You totally have a type and he’s your type except shorter. And not a douche.”

“I only ever dated one douche-”

“And we all learned our lesson there. My point is why are you here when you kissed him?“ Baekhyun gaped at his best friend. “Baekhyun, for as long as I’ve known you, you’ve been going on and on about romance and meeting that one guy. You were always the one throwing yourself at the first guy who showed interest in you.”

“Exactly and look at where that got me!”

“Yes look. It got you to now. With this guy who cares a lot about someone other than himself. A guy who doesn’t compliment you just to get into your pants.” Baekhyun’s memory is abruptly on replay flashing back to Joonmyun sitting on his lap mocking him; Joonmyun playing with Jongin but always trying to include him as well; Joonmyun’s hand soft and warm in his own; Joonmyun calling him cute hand his head. 

Jongdae looked like he had something more to say but Baekhyun quickly interrupted him.

“I - I have to go. I’ll take the papers to Joonmyun.” Jongdae smirked as handed the envelope to Baekhyun. “I hope you get your happy ever after, Baekhyun.” Baekhyun choked out a thanks, caught up in a whirlwind of emotions. He backtracked, hoping Joonmyun had had the sense to go back to the apartments. 

Baekhyun had wanted a lot of things over the years. At fifteen he wanted to be swept off his feet and carried off on a white stallion by his prince charming. At the age of seventeen, Baekhyun just wanted to be accepted for his uality instead of being shunned by his peers. And at twenty-one, Baekhyun wanted to be with The One, live in a nice cozy house with a front yard and have a puppy or two. All Baekhyun’d ever done was want and now he found himself in want all over again with Joonmyun’s lips, his smile, the streak of flour that always finds its way to Joonmyun’s face, the way his red wine hair shined in the sun, the roundness of his cheeks, the warmth of his hands. Baekhyun is in want but what he really wanted to know is if, this time, it’s love. 

He leapt up the steps one, two, three at a time, panting by the time he reached the door. He fumbled with the lock, tumbling in through the doorway once he got it to work and looked up to find Joonmyun exiting the kitchen. He seemed relieved to see him again and he flashed his brilliant bright smile and Baekhyun threw all caution to the winds. He took two firm steps forward and his hand gingerly grabbed Joonmyun’s nape pulling, giving him time to push or pull away. Joonmyun, however, leaned forward letting Baekhyun lead every step of the way, every slide of their lips together. Baekhyun’s fingers tangle themselves amidst the strands of Joonmyun’s hair while his other hand wrapped around Joonmyun’s waist pulling them closer, closer, closer. 

Baekhyun wanted. He wanted and craved all in one breath and oh.Oh, was this the feeling he’d been looking for all this time. He looked at Joonmyun’s eyes, half lidded, lips red and slick with spit, cheeks dusted pink from the blush that spread to his ears. This was that feeling and he finally found it in all that is his Kim Joonmyun. The next time they leaned in to kiss, Baekhyun made sure the epiphany he just had was heard loud and clear.

I love you.

~

Time had passed and Joonmyun and Baekhyun had moved on to cuddling on the couch.

“About that dinner I owe you,” Baekhyun whispered into Joonmyun’s jaw. He laughed at the ticklish sensation.

“But you haven’t even asked me to be your actual boyfriend yet,” Joonmyun pouted.

“Joonmyun, can you be my significant other?”

“Baekhyun, is this really the best place to ask me out?” The sense of déjà vu kicked Baekhyun hard in the gut and he couldn’t help the giggles that escaped him.

“Well, I would have brought flowers but they wouldn’t compare to your beauty.” This time they both burst out into laughter.

“One last surprise,” Baekhyun stated. He whipped out the manila envelope that had been carelessly thrown on the floor earlier.

“What is it?” Joonmyun asked, hesitant to take the envelope.

“Official adoption papers. Once we sign them, Jongin will legally be our child,” Baekhyun beamed. Joonmyun gripped the manila envelope tightly to his chest and peppered Baekhyun’s face with kisses, muttering thank you in between each one.

“Let’s sign these papers and get it over with, shall we?”

ღ Epilogue

Jongin had been told a long, long time ago, at his first foster care, that good parents come to the children who wait. So he waited because who doesn’t want good parents who will love him and hug him and tuck him and his stuffed unicorn, Lay, into bed at night and give them a goodnight kiss on the forehead like they do in movies.

Jongin waited and waited. But it was ok because good parents come to children who waited. On Jongin’s fourth birthday he was moved to a different foster care. He didn’t really understand why, he just knew that it had to do with the bruises. It was there that he met Hun hyung. Well, his real name was Sehun but Jongin couldn’t say it right, so he just called him Hun hyung. Hun hyung was his favorite hyung. He made Jongin feel safe and warm and Jongin thought that he had finally found his parent. But Hun hyung had shaken his head and told him that he was his brother. Jongin was ok with that too.

Jongin waited and waited some more. He was starting to get tired of waiting and even Lay seemed sad lately. That was when Jongin met his first daddy. He smelled a lot like cakes and sweet things and Jongin liked that. He also brought Jongin a lot of breads to share with Hun hyung and Jonginreally liked that. 

His first daddy was sweet and warm and Jongin thought maybe he needed to wait a little more just to be sure. One day, daddy brought second daddy with him. He smelled sweet too but not sugar sweet like first daddy. But they were both nice and brought him food and bread and Jongin thought maybe he won’t have to wait anymore.

Now, Jongin lived with both his daddies. They loved him very very much and told him almost every day. So Jongin made sure to draw them lots and lots of pictures to show he loved them too. They always carried him when he felt too tired and hugged him whenever he hurt or was sad. Daddies tucked him and Lay into bed and always kissed them both on the forehead goodnight.

Jongin’s family became complete when Daddies switched Jongin’s bed into a bunk bed. Jongin let Hun hyung take the top bunk he didn’t really like heights and neither did Lay. Jongin was really really happy and safe and warm and there was no hitting or yelling, just laughing and hugs. 

Jongin’s family didn’t have a mommy like all the other kids at daycare but that was ok. Jongin had two daddies and that’s more than all the other kids. This was Jongin’s family tree.


A/N: I loved the prompt so much the fic kinda got out of control hurhur I hope you all liked it...if not at least for baby Jongin cuz he's the cutest squishiest thing and I adore writing him \o/ I also wanted to raise awareness of child abuse altho it was briefly mentioned in the fic cuz I couldn't stand Jongin and Sehun being sad :<<< I work at a school and a similar situation occured to two of our students which gave me the push I needed for this fic. It's sad and it happens and sometimes there's little we can do. But please if you find yourself in a situation where you can help, please do. In the words of Sehun, a lot of children keep quiet when questioned because they don't want to move to a different foster care and start all over.

 

Once again, thank you to all who took the time to read on lj and here. It means a lot to me. This is the longest fic I've ever written and I'm quite happy with it ^^ If you could please comment, subscribe, or upvote it would mean a lot to me ;;;; If you don't want to do any of those then pls at least throw a cookie at me ;n; I like cookies. Or vegetables if you thought it was a horrible fic whatevs Again thank you thank you thank you just for reading!!!!!!!! /HUGS YALL