Three

Getaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You’ll kill me, Minho.” Jonghyun said, his expression firm.

“Won’t you stop?” Minho said to him, brows furrowed in irritation.

“Just tell me what you gonna claim!”

“He said he will claim his win when he finds something fitting, so let him be!” Jinki said loudly, irritated.

The whole dining hall grew silent at his words and Jinki scooted below to hide his face when every head turned to him.

Kibum punched Jonghyun’s arm, directing his attention to a squabble so he would leave the tall boy alone. He had been troubling Minho ever since he won the tree-climbing race, asking what he wanted from them.

“Fine, tomorrow’s plan.” Jinki said, finishing up a plate, “We go to the lake. No arguments.”

“Yeah, it’s balmy...and the cool water...” Kibum sighed, smiling a little.

Jonghyun cringed at his expression, making sure to imitate him before chuckling to himself. Taemin sat opposite to him, and hence caught on, breaking into a fit of audible chuckles, making the three look at him cluelessly.

He calmed down a while later, and shook his head when asked what the matter was. He didn’t want Kibum to be angry and fight it out with Jonghyun for the whole night.

They got back into their rooms, and Taemin climbed into his bunk, yawning, “Good night.” He said before pulling his blanket over himself.

“He’s going to bed early.” Minho commented as the other three flopped into their own beds.

“He’s the good boy of the family. Takes everything learnt to heart. Early to bed, early to rise.” Kibum answered in a sing-song tone as he got his camera out and started checking pictures on it.

“He’s adorable.” Jinki said from his bed.

“Well, of course. He’s my brother.” Kibum shrugged.

Jonghyun snickered, “It’s a relief he ain’t one bit like you.”

“Shorty, do you really wanna die?”

“Shh. He’s sleeping!” Minho said in a hushed voice, pointing to Taemin’s bunk.

They stayed silent, busying themselves before sleep came to them. Minho was busy with a pen and book, and Jinki was fast asleep, while Jonghyun had dozed off while playing on his phone. Kibum looked from his camera, yawning, and gasped at what he saw.

“Minho!” He called out to the tall boy, making him keep his book down and get up.

“What’s the matter, Kibum?”

Kibum pointed to Taemin’s bunk and Minho turned to find the lump covered in the blankets threatening to fall. He supported it immediately and gave a gentle push to set him back safely in his bunk.

Kibum sighed with relief, “He sometimes rolls around in his sleep...actually he rolls around whenever he gets comfortable enough.”

Minho nodded in understanding and was going to get back into his bunk when he heard a shuffle and looked up to find the lump roll towards the edge again. Before he could have done anything, the boy tilted, the blanket wound around him. Minho panicked, but spread his arms the next moment, catching the falling Taemin securely.

Kibum’s face had paled at the sight, but colour slowly started to seep in on finding Minho catch Taemin. Taemin stirred in Minho’s arms but he did not wake up, and Minho sighed with relief, a gentle smile coming over his face as the cute frown slowly dissipated off the boy’s face.

“Exchange with him, Minho.” Kibum said in a bleak voice, “I don’t think I can fall asleep worrying about his next fall.”

“Okay.” Minho said and he gently put Taemin into his bunk, fixing the blanket over him before climbing into the upper bunk.

“Thank you.” Kibum sighed with relief, before reaching out towards the switchboard and switching off the lights.

 

 

A loud thunk, followed by an equally loud groan woke the five next morning. Kibum peeked from his blanket and jumped out of his bunk on finding Taemin on the floor, sitting up while rubbing his head.

“A-Are you alright?” Kibum asked, rubbing Taemin’s head for him.

Minho had jumped down as well and was looking at Taemin, his face grim with worry. Jonghyun and Jinki were still in their beds, looking at the three on the ground with hazy expressions.

“Yeah, I am alright.” Taemin said, his voice husky due to sleepiness.

“You have a bump on your forehead.” Jinki stated, “How did you manage to fall?”

“This is not your king size bed that you can roll around in.” Kibum scolded him softly, “Thank goodness, you were in the lower bunk. Otherwise…”

“I’ll get him some ice.” Jonghyun said, putting on his hoodie as he got up. He left the room quickly and Kibum helped Taemin up.

“I am sleeping with you from now on to keep you from rolling.” Kibum said, making him sit in the bunk and sitting beside him.

“I don’t wanna sleep with you.” Taemin said, his brows constricting due to the pain. “You’ll push me off before I could fall.”

“Peculiar sleeping habits, I am guessing?” Jinki sighed from the bed.

Jonghyun entered with an ice pack and handed it to Kibum who pressed it to the swollen reddish area on Taemin’s forehead.

Kibum then turned to find Minho still kneeling on the floor, looking at Taemin, his face a worried mess.

“He’ll survive, froggie.” He smirked. Minho fixed his expression immediately and averted his gaze.

“We’ll fix a mattress on the floor.” Jonghyun suggested.

“The room’s too small for that…” Kibum sighed, “He got himself a bump just by falling from a foot.” He got up, “I am sleeping with you from now on, Tae.”

“Anything but that.” Taemin growled, “I still hold a grudge over what you did in your sleep last time I slept over.”

“What did he do?” Jonghyun asked, amused.

“He made me into a punching bag before kicking me off the bed for good.” Taemin replied, putting away the ice pack.

“That was because of a dream I had.” Kibum defended, “I won’t do anything such as that-”

“No!” Taemin said, a bit too loudly, making the room go awkwardly silent. He sighed, rubbing his head, “Look, I am sorry.” He said softly, before taking his blanket and going back to bed.

“He is grumpy when he wakes up?” Jinki asked softly.

Kibum’s expression eased, “Yes, a grumpy old man.” He took his coat, “I’ll just ask around if the village’s got a doctor.”

He was gone and Jonghyun yawned, “Can I sleep an hour more?”

“Sleep all you want.” Jinki said, pulling his blanket and getting comfortable, “We’ll let Taemin rest today...like that, even that worry-wart will be content.”

Jonghyun hummed in response and soon turned away to sleep.

Minho got up from the floor and checked on Taemin, who was fast asleep. The bump was red, but his expression was peaceful and Minho’s face calmed a bit on seeing him sleep so adorably cuddled up. He sat on the ground, taking his book and pen out, as he leaned at the bed, keeping an eye on the boy to make sure he wouldn’t roll to a fall again.

 

 

The whole day went by with Kibum trying to drag Taemin to the local doctor, and Taemin refusing to go. In the end he gave in on the others’ request, and the five found themselves at the clinic late in the afternoon.

“See, I told you it was nothing.” Taemin said, pouting, covering his now-not-so-swollen bump with his bangs, as they walked back to the hostel.

“Yeah, better safe than sorry.” Kibum replied.

Taemin halted, “Um…”

“What’s the matter?” Jonghyun asked.

“I am sorry.” Taemin said, “I fell...and wasted your whole day…” His voice grew softer, “...also shouted in the morning.”

Jinki laughed, patting his back, “We have done worse...but we don’t say sorry. It’s all allowed between friends, isn’t it, guys?”

“Of course.” Jonghyun agreed and Minho nodded slightly.

Taemin smiled and Kibum put an arm over his shoulder, “I like you the best when you are fully awake.” He whispered, “I wonder who the unlucky idiot would be who’d want to wake up to a grumpy fellow like you.”

Taemin’s face flushed, but he smiled soon after, “I wonder too.”

 


 

“Okay, so who will volunteer?” Kibum asked in a hushed voice, his eyes cautiously on the door. Taemin had gone to refill their water and his cousin was utilising his absence to decide who would sleep with Taemin to protect him from dangerous falls. “He has made it clear he never wants to sleep beside me.”

“I will.” Jinki said, “Let him sleep beside me.”

“You sleep like snorlax, so no.” Jonghyun said, “He would roll off over you and you won’t even realise.”

“Then would you volunteer?” Jinki raised a brow at him.

“I am no skinny prune to fit with him on a single mattress.” Jonghyun replied.

“I’ll take care of him.” Minho said, getting out of the bathroom, drying his hair with a towel, “End

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter