OO1. Heaven's Gates

Angels to Fly

One; Heaven's gates  { l  i s t e n }

 

Once upon a time, there lived two boys. One a tutor for the prince, the other a guard for the prince. The two boys were very kind, very quiet, and absolutely perfect for each other.

But a man with another man was simply unspoken of, different. And different was dangerous. So the two boys met in secret, talking in whispers by dim candlelight, eyes darting this way and that, knowing that if they were caught, they were dead. Literally.

"Listen, Joonmyun," the soldier whispered to the scholar, reaching up to untie the tall hat off Joonmyun's head. "We should run away. Go somewhere remote, but not too far away from a town. I can farm, build us a house. Maybe one day we could take in some of the orphans from around here. You could teach them how to read, and when they're older if they wanted, they could go to University, just like you did. Wouldn't that be nice? We could build a family." Yixing dropped the hat, taking the other male's hands between his to warm them.

Joonmyun's cheeks warmed with his hands, and it had more to do with than the candle. "Yixing, that seems wonderful but...I can't just leave here. I've spent my entire life studying so I could go to University early. So I could serve the royal family. The prince...he trusts me. His advisors aren't what they ought to be. They're giving him horrible advice. I'm more than just his tutor, you know. I'm like his older brother."

Yixing sighed, gaze dropping. "You're right. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked."

"No, no, no," Joonmyun murmured, reaching out to the soldier's cheek. "Maybe I could talk to the prince. He's going to be king soon. There are rumors...of him and one of the other tutors. He might be in the same boat. Maybe he'll take us into consideration. Since he won't be able to be with Kyungsoo...but maybe he'll let us be together. Maybe."

"Alright." Yixing leaned in, kissing Joonmyun's cheeks very gently, making the scholar's cheeks warm even more. "So you need time. I understand. Just let me know when you decide, okay?"

Joonmyun nodded. "Okay."

But the soldier and the scholar gave the prince too much credit. Prince Jongin, who was angry. Who was scared, and frustrated. He couldn't be with his Kyungsoo. He had to marry that dreadful daughter of the general, with her squeaky voice and over-the-top smiles. She was annoying, demanding. All Jongin wanted was his favorite tutor, his Kyungsoo. There was Joonmyun, too, but he was more like an older brother. Kyungsoo though was all mysterious smiles and low chocolate whispers.

So the day when Joonmyun told Jongin of his plan, his plan to run away with Yixing and build a home and life for them, Jongin wasn't empathetic. He didn't pity them. No. He saw red for a moment, and gritted his teeth together instead. He was angry. Why could his tutor have that when he couldn't? Why did Jongin have to marry an annoying girl with too many pink hanboks and rule a country while one of his tutors got to run away with his soldier lover and raise kids and be happy? It wasn't fair.

Kyungsoo had been just as angry as Jongin, squeezing his hand under the table, their eyes meeting with a dark, dangerous intensity. "It's not fair," Kyungsoo whispered firmly.

"Not fair," Jongin agreed, nails digging into Kyungsoo's palm. He didn't mind.

"People are starting to whisper, Jongin," Kyungsoo grumbled. "They're starting to say things about you. About me. About us. It's not good for you. We can't be together at all if they start to do this. You know what you have to do."

"I do." Jongin nodded slightly, expression solemn.

And that was how, a week later, Joonmyun and Yixing sat on their knees on the palace square, clothes ripped and dirty, hair matted to their foreheads with blood and sweat.

"Kim Joonmyun. Zhang Yixing. You've both been charged with homoual relations. The punishment for such a crime is death. You will be beheaded in front of everyone to make a demonstration, as is the law."

Jongin sat on his throne in red, eyes dark, void. Kyungsoo was in the crowd, eyes just as dark as Jongin's. For a moment, Kyungsoo's eyes met Joonmyun's, pleading and scared. Kyungsoo only looked to Jongin.

Yixing and Joonmyun looked at each other with tears in their eyes. "We'll meet in our next life," Yixing whispered. "You'll see. Then we can be together. Just wait."

"Yixing..." Joonmyun's voice cracked. "I'm scared."

"It's okay." Yixing gave a slight smile, one eye swollen from a fresh black eye. "It won't hurt. It will be as easy as falling asleep, you'll see. I'm here. Just look at me. Look at me, Joonmyun."

A soldier stepped up to Yixing with two long swords, crossing them over Yixing's neck. "Yixing--" Joonmyun started, but Yixing only smiled, one tear falling down his cheek.

There was a slashing sound, then red, and Joonmyun was screaming. He was screaming and crying and he looked over at Jongin just as the blades were placed against his neck. Jongin smirked. Then Joonmyun saw red and gray stone, and then nothing.

 

*   *   *

 

Yixing and Joonmyun did meet again, much sooner than they'd expected.

In heaven, everything was white. Beautiful and soft, like snow, but not too cold, or too warm.

In heaven, everything was perfect. Joonmyun and Yixing didn't talk about Jongin betraying them, about the dark light in Kyungsoo's eyes. They simply laid down in soft, baby blue fluffy pillows, holding each other close. They never met Jongin or Kyungsoo in heaven, even after they learned that they had died. Heaven was pretty big, so they thought maybe they just didn't cross paths.

Or they didn't go to heaven. Maybe they went the other way. Or they were stuck on Earth.

Joonmyun and Yixing didn't think much about it, not until the day another angel by the name of Donghae came to them. "There are two openings to go back to earth. You two have been on the waiting list for a few centuries, and it's finally your turn. Want it?"

Joonmyun and Yixing looked over at each other before nodding eagerly, hands gripping each other's. "Is...it okay for us to be together?" Joonmyun asked. "We won't be sentenced to death?"

Donghae's smile was kind. "No, in fact men being with men is more accepted now. You two will be fine. So. If you want to go, meet me at the gates in a little bit. You won't need anything except new names." Donghae bowed to the angels before flying away, wings grand and beautiful.

"Pick out my name," Joonmyun requested to the other male, nuzzling his nose into Yixing's neck.

The former soldier chuckled, thinking before deciding. "Suho. Guardian." He grinned, dropping a light kiss onto his lover's lips. "Pick mine?"

"Lay," Joonmyun--Suho--said immediately. "Like lei in Chinese. Tired, right? You have sleepy eyes."

"Alright. So, Suho, let's go meet Donghae. And go back to Earth."

"Back to Earth," Joonmyun repeated with a dreamy smile, his fingers lacing through Yixing's. "That sounds nice."

 

*   *   *

 

"Things are different on Earth. But you've been watching the humans, same as all of us. You'll have basic knowledge upon landing of the new technology of the world. And since you're both in your early twenties, we've picked an occupation typical of your age group. College students. Joonmyun--ah, I mean Suho." Donghae grinned. "You get to go back to University. You'll be with Yixing--Lay, the whole time. We've set up a nice apartment for you, and all the information for everything you need will be given to you. You'll still have some of your Grace, and may return to heaven whenever you're both satisfied you've fufilled the life you weren't able to live previously."

Joonmyun squeezed Yixing's fingers, excited.

"Be careful. There are demons that walk the earth, same as angels. You'll be able to see the angels for who they are, as well as the demons. Most demons don't mess with angels, but they do mess with humans. As part of the agreement of you going back to Earth, do your best to look out for these humans. Protect them when you can. Understood?"

Both males nodded, and Donghae smiled. "Alright. If you have any questions, just pray." He winked, then, before either Joonmyun or Yixing could say anything more, Donghae pushed them off the ledge.

And down to Earth they went.

 

*   *   *

 

-note ;

This was a short chapter. Think of it as a prologue. Also things probably aren't historically accurate, so before you say anything; yes, I know.

There will be more Kaisoo soon~