Yesterday Once More

Breathing Music

CHEN'S PERSPECTIVE

Jongdae tossed and turned as his head raced with fond memories. He smiled as his family gradually filled his thoughts. But his pleasant, reminiscent expression disappeared as one person began to come into focus-who was it? Someone beautiful and sweet, kind and caring...but of course, Zhang Liyin! He squeezed his eyes shut with a frown. He did not want to think of her right now, at such a successful time for him. The pain of leaving her behind was too much for his brain to function properly. With that thought, Chen drifted into a fitful sleep. 

It was still early morning when he woke. "Time to check my phone!" he announced to himself, rubbing his eyes. He blindly fumbled around on the table for several seconds before his fingers hit something cold. He drew his arm in front of his eyes, squinting as the screen lit up. "What's this?" he wondered aloud, scrolling through his notifications. A missed call from Jang Ri In? Chen stared disbelievingly at the number. How could it be? 

LIYIN'S PERSPECTIVE

Liyin shoved rice into halfheartedly. "Come on, Liyin," she kept telling herself. "You have to be strong." But how could she be strong when she was deserted and alone? She heaved what must've been the millionth sigh that day and forced herself to continue eating her dinner. 

Despite her futile attempts at strength, it wasn't long before she broke down. The chopsticks in her hand fell to the worn floor as her sobs echoed through the empty halls. "Chen," she screamed. "Jongdae! I need you back!" Her cries were abruptly cut short as her phone began to ring loudly. Liyin wiped at the tears coursing down her cheeks, steadied her breathing, and picked up. To her surprise, a male voice answered. 

"Hello?" the voice said hestitantly. "Is..is this Zhang Liyin?" There was a shocked silence from Liyin as she struggled to accept the identity of the caller. "Of course," Jongdae added hastily, "I'm sorry to bother you. Maybe I should just-"

"No!" Liyin interrupted breathlessly. "Jongdae? Is that you? It's Liyin. I'm so glad to hear your voice again!" As soon as the words were out of , Liyin cringed. What poor word choice! He must really think I'm stupid now, Liyin groaned inwardly. 

Chen grinned to himself at her excitement. "Did you call me recently? And I've really missed you. It's been a long while, you know..." He trailed off. 

"Of course! I was just sorta lonely." Liyin took a deep breath. It was time for the moment of truth. "I..." she began, then paused. She cleared , then said quietly, "Did you know that I really love you? And not just as a brother or friend, but it's fine if you don't return my feelings."

Chen blinked back tears. "Liyin...I in fact do return your feelings." He blushed deeply as Liyin smiled and began to talk about her life. They continued chatting for a while before Liyin began to lose energy. "Jongdae?"she asked sleepily. "I'm a little tired; can I call you tomorrow?" 

"Of course," Jongdae replied. "And did I tell you that I'm coming back next month?" He waited excitedly for her response. Sure enough, she gasped. "Really? I can't wait!'

AN HOUR LATER

Darkness smothered Liyin's resting figure as she reflected over her happiness. I suppose I'm lucky, she thought happily. If I have Jongdae, I'll be happy forever. Faintly grinning, she dropped off to content dreams.