And It Continues

Monochromatic Vision

Things quickly escalated after then. The first date led to a second date, the second to a third, and pretty soon, Jongin was seeing Minseok on a near daily basis. There was always some reason why he just had to see Minseok that day – some new movie was coming out, Minseok got a pair of free tickets to a soccer game, the weather was too hot and Jongin did not want to get ice cream by himself and so on and so forth.

By the end of the first week, the opportunity for Minseok to visit Jongin’s house presented itself.

“Hey Minseok,” Jongin said into his cellphone, “I have 2 huge frozen pizzas in my fridge about to expire. Want to help me polish them off?”

“Ok,” the sounds of paper shuffling could be heard as Minseok’s voice issued distractedly, “Sounds good.”

“Alright,” Jongin’s heart was finally able to slow down in its 100-metre dash, “I will see you tomorrow then. Is 7pm fine by you?”

“Yea, that should be fine—wait,” Minseok paused, “Wait, I think I have a report due tomorrow… let me check my schedule… Hmm, yes I do. Can we make it 8pm instead?”

“Sure, 8pm tomorrow,” Jongin nodded his head even though Minseok could not possibly see it, “If you can’t finish your work on time, it’s alright if you are late.”

Minseok laughed, “Don’t worry, Jongin, by hook or by crook, you will see me turning up like a bad penny by 8pm tomorrow.”

“Even if you can’t finish your report?” Jongin could not resist teasing.

“When I have you to look forward to, my efficiency multiplies skyhigh,” a flirtatious tone crept into Minseok’s voice, “Which is why I think we should meet up everyday. You are doing wonders for me.”

Jongin found himself to be at a loss for words. His throat suddenly felt dry and Jongin moistened his lips nervously, “Uh.”

“Sorry, that was too much,” Minseok sounded bashful when it became obvious Jongin did not know what to reply, “Back to the topic at hand, do you need me to bring anything tomorrow? Beer, snacks, meat or some of your favourite chicken from Lotteria?”

“Uh, just bring yourself,” Jongin shook off his previous embarrassment and allowed a small smile on his face because Minseok remembered his favourite food which he just said in passing!, “My house is pretty well stock-up.”

“You sure?”

“I wouldn’t want you to appear on my doorsteps any later simply because you have to run errands for me. When all I really want is—“ Jongin stopped, realizing he might be too forward and a warm heat spread on his neck.

What was left unsaid was obvious and a quiet chuckle sounded over the phone, “Ok, Jongin. I can’t wait to see you too.”

When all I really want is to see you everyday, every hour.

Jongin could not control the blush that threatened to overwhelm his entire face. Putting his face down to his table in an attempt to hide his flush, Jongin could not find a reply that would not have him drowning in his embarrassment. Being speechless was something that Jongin was starting to become well acquainted with.

“I can see my secretary making threatening motions at me now,” Minseok sighed shortly thereafter, before Jongin managed to scramble for an appropriate response, “Talk to you later, Jongin. I need to sign some documents”

“Bye.”

The phone clacked and the call was over. Jongin groaned silently once he put down the receiver, because while he was a romantic guy, he was not sure if he could ever be prepared for the cliché sappiness that now seemed to rein his entire world. Jongin’s thin skin was not equipped for their honeymoon-esque cheesiness.

That conversation they had earlier could be something straight out of a romcom.

And while he was extremely aware of how potentially disgusting they could sound to friends and strangers alike, Jongin could not stop himself from behaving that way around Minseok. Usually, Jongin could be considered a calm, stoic guy who was rarely frazzled. Throw him a thunderstorm, and Jongin would brave his way through it. Throw him a betrayal, and Jongin would turn cool and aloof. Throw him a tyrannical boss, and Jongin would keep his head down and forge through.

Jongin, in his entire twenty-seven years on earth, was never one made for melodrama or over the top affection. Even when he dated, Jongin was sweet, but not overly sweet. He treated the girl gently, he cared for her sufficiently, but never once was Jongin reduced to a blushing pile of goo by something she said.

Jongin was a romantic guy and he liked to indulge in fantasies. However, he had never thought he would be affected by them that much when he chanced upon The One.

Jongin groaned once again, ready to—

“Jongin, you are a ing ,” an all too familiar voice declared without anger. The embarrassed happiness Jongin felt was abruptly replaced by dread in his stomach. Jongin slowly swiveled his chair to face the voice.

Lo and behold stood Taemin, in his ever immaculate suit with his ever charming smile. “ing al ,” Taemin repeated, upturned lips never once falling.

“Uh.” Taemin was also good at rendering Jongin speechless, albeit in a way that Jongin did not particularly enjoy.

“You have been tagging the TPX folders blue, the CGW yellow and the MJI green. Your office stationary is no longer the gross colour-vomit like it used to be,” Taemin continued, “And you have been turning into a blushing, al bride whenever you converse with a certain someone on the office line.”

“Uh.”

“Do you think I don’t notice?”

“Uh.”

“You are a ing , Jongin.”

“Uh…”

“You have found your soulmate, have you not?”

“Uh.”

“Do you plan on keeping such important news from your boss?”

“No?” Jongin finally regained use of his tongue, “I just don’t think you will care to know.”

“Of course I care to know,” a frightening grin blossomed over Taemin’s lips, “I care about my employees’ welfare, so it personally affects me when you have found your soulmate, Jongin.”

“Creepy.” Jongin accidentally blurted out his inner thoughts.

“I am sorry?” Taemin’s grin widened, showing Jongin a clear view of his sharp, white, polished teeth.

“Nothing.” Jongin shook his head violently.

“You sure, Jongin? Because your opinion matters to me a lot too.”

“Nothing, Taemin,” Jongin put on his most sincere expression, “Please continue on what you were saying.”

Delicately raising an eyebrow, Taemin looked at Jongin skeptically before he moved on without missing a beat, “So it’s disappointing that you have not cared to share the news with either me or your colleagues. Do you not remember what AVPS said about having a close-knitted, family-like culture?”

“Uh.”

“Don’t you agree that we ought to celebrate your impending marriage?”

“I have just gotten to know Minseok last week?”

“Oh, Minseok, what a great name! I think you and Minseok should host a get-together for the entire department, so that we can all get to know your future husband better.”

“No?” Jongin dared to resist, if not for his sake, at least for Minseok’s sake, “I don’t think Minseok will enjoy that?”

“You aren’t Minseok, Jongin. How will you know what he likes or dislikes? I, for one, think it is imperative that we get a good look at the man who is going to sweep our precious, darling Jongin off his feet,” Taemin patted Jongin’s shoulders indulgently and Jongin fought hard not to retch. Taemin paused, as if building up anticipation for a grand finale, “And so, I have taken the initiative to booking the Spizzo for next Friday’s night.”

“Uh.”

“Under your name of course, Jongin.”

“Isn’t Spizzo really expensive?”

“Just around 60 bucks per person,” Taemin dismissed breezily, “Chump change to you and Minseok, most definitely.”

“I only earn $4k a month?”

“Chump change to Minseok then.”

“Uh.”

“Oh, and just a reminder, Jongin, the company is not paying.”

Jongin paled and gaped helplessly at his boss.

-

Jongin ended up making a trip to the supermarket even though his finances had just been set back by $2,160 for the month. After all, he did tell Minseok that his place was well-stocked, even though that was anything but the truth. And so, after sending a SOS message to Kyungsoo, asking him what a normal fridge usually has, Jongin set about to buying these items and putting on a façade of clean, responsible and orderly Jongin.

First impression mattered a lot. Given that Jongin had already screwed up his first run-in with Minseok, he did not want to screw up Minseok’s first impression of his apartment. Jongin resolved to spending the entire night cleaning and tidying up his place. From his previous conversations with Minseok, Jongin had already gathered that Minseok was a guy for cleanliness and tidiness.

It showed in Minseok’s appearance too. Which Jongin appreciated, because Minseok looked all kinds of hot in his neatly-pressed pants and shirts. Paired together with the charcoal-grey blazer that was starting to become a favourite of Jongin’s, Jongin thought that Minseok was gorgeousness incarnate.

Just when Jongin was speculating on Minseok’s wardrobe (which all fitted him perfectly), his phone rang and Jongin picked it out eagerly. Maybe it was Kyungsoo calling back with an answer to his question.

“You are a ing idiot, Kim Jongin,” an irate voice issued without preamble from Jongin’s handphone. Jongin frowned. It is the second time today he had been called dumb, and Jongin was starting to find it offensive. Nonetheless, the voice continued, “How can you not know what an onion looks like?”

“Because I don’t,” Jongin replied snippily, “And just because you know your way around a kitchen doesn’t mean you get to call me dumb, Kyungsoo.”

“I get to call you dumb because I have seen you failing all 10 subjects in high school.”

Jongin winced, “When will you ever stop holding that over me?”

“When you stop sending me stupid SMSes on what the a normal person has inside a fridge.”

“Kyungsoo—“

“And use your brains for once and ask one of the supermarket’s staff to help you get all the items on the list.”

“Oh.”

Oh,” Kyungsoo echoed back sarcastically.

“That’s a good idea, Kyungsoo.”

“Shut up.”

“Thanks.”

“Don’t bother me again till you have actually moved past first base with that guy. I want all the details—“

Jongin hung up on the phonecall quickly. He swore that Kyungsoo was getting dirtier by the moment as he hung out with Chanyeol more and more.