A Day.

Just One Day.

Early in the morning and I’m still bedridden. I can’t take this anymore. Staring at the ceiling of the hospital, I wondered how I got here as I hear mumbles from my family and the doctor outside. The last thing I knew before I woke up here was me, trying to get my midnight snack, when suddenly… My head started to hurt. She thought.

Meanwhile…

‘’Doctor, is there any other way?’’ Joohyun’s dad pleaded the doctor. Joohyun’s mom held his arm as tears start to form in her eyes. ‘’Dear, I think it’s for her best.’’ Joohyun’s mom encouraged. Joohyun’s dad, then he ran his fingers through his hair as the doctor speaks.

‘’We have to tell her now, or else it’ll be too late.’’ He finished as he ushered the family to go inside her room.

Joohyun’s brother, Kyuhyun, went near his sister as he hugged her. Joohyun hugged back, completely confused on what was happening. After the hug, the doctor went near Joohyun and asked her how she was feeling. She awkwardly said yes and asked why they were acting that way.

‘’Joohyun, remember your diagnosis last week?’’ the doctor said, making Joohyun think about it.

‘’Yes, you said the results say that I’m getting better. But what’s happening now?’’ she asked worriedly.

‘’Joohyun…’’ the doctor sighed. ‘’It came back.’’

Joohyun’s mouth dropped as she heard what the doctor had said. ‘’W-what? B-but…. How?’’ tears started to form in her eyes.

 ‘’We don’t know why, but it came back. And the only option we have now is an operation.’’ The doctor straightforwardly said as he looked softly into her teary eyes. ‘’It’s for the best.’’

‘’No.’’ she firmly said. Making her family shocked. ‘’I don’t want it.’’ She added, as her father came near her and held her hand.

‘’Joohyun, please do the operation. Please, baby, you can do this.’’ Her father pleaded her but she just looked straight into his eyes as she shook her head. ‘’No dad, I think it’s better like this. We’ll all eventually die one day. Its just that, I’m the first one to go.’’

‘’Joohyun, please think about it. You’re still young.’’ Her dad pleaded once more, making tears fall down her cheeks.

‘’Joohyun, I’ll give you a day to decide.’’ The doctor said as he bowed to the family and left.

A day. Is a day enough to decide? She thought as she woke up from her sleep and took a bath. She has a whole day to think about it.

She took off her usual house clothes and wore different apparel for the day. She went down stairs to their kitchen as she cheerfully greeted her parents at the dining table, as well as her brother.

‘’Oh? Joohyun, are you going somewhere?’’ her father asked, peering over the newspaper that he’s reading. Joohyun’s face darkened as she thought about it. ‘’A-appa… c-can… can I go out today?’’ she stuttered, making everyone in the room look at her.

‘’I just need a quiet place to think… about it.’’ She looked down; she knows that her father wouldn’t let her.

Suddenly, she felt a pair of arms, embracing her. ‘’Of course, baby. You can. Take the whole day to think about it. How about the park? It’s quiet there today. Just don’t go home before sunset, Araseo?’’ her father said, making her look up at him and smile at him. She returned her father’s hug as she ate her breakfast and called their driver to her to the park.

‘’Thankyou, Sir. And I’ll just call you when I’m going home.’’ She said to the driver when they finally got to the park.

‘’Arraseo, young miss.’’ The driver replied as he closed the window and drove off.

Appa’s right, there is no people here today. She thought as she looked around. But to her surprise, she saw someone there. A guy, sitting on one of the swings, alone, mumbling stuff.

She was so curious and since they were the only ones in the park, she decided approach him. As she approaches him, she heard him say. “Aish! Why now! I finally knew her name… And I-I love her. But she… she’s going to die… Aish, jjinja…’’ he said, ruffling his own hair as he looked at a distance.

‘’Excuse me, Mister?’’ she innocently approached him. He looked back and his eyes widened. ‘’May I sit here?’’ she points to the available swing and he just nodded. She sat there as she tried to look at what he’s looking at.

‘’Mister, do you know her name?’’ she asked, looking at the stranger. The guy just kept on staring at his fingers. ‘’D-de…’’

‘’Then why don’t you tell her you love her before she dies?’’ she innocently said in a carefree matter, making the guy swallow a lump on his throat.

‘’S-she doesn’t know me…’’ he answered, still fidgeting with his fingers. Joohyun’s mouth formed an ‘O’ as she finally knew his situation. She suddenly stood up from her seat and went in front of him.

‘’Then introduce to her like this…’’ She held out her hand in front of him as he looked up at her and she smiled down at him. ‘’Annyeonghaseyo, Seo Joohyun imnida~ and you are?’’ her lips never quavered into a frown as she smiled brightly at him. He looked up at her, dumbfounded and mesmerized.

‘’Ah, O-Oh S-Sehun imnida.’’ He stuttered, revealing his hidden lisp. She chuckled as he took her hand and they shake it as they smiled at each other. ‘’You have a lisp.’’ She giggled. ‘’Its cute.’’ She added, making him blush as she pulled him to stand up.

‘’W-wae?’’ he asked. She just looked at him with an ARE-YOU-SERIOUS look.

‘’What? Aren’t you supposed to plan what you’re going to do when she finally knows you? Where are you going to take her? What are you going to eat? Will you buy her gifts? When will you confess?’’ she bombarded him with questions as he slowly smiled at her cuteness.

‘’De, I’ll plan it with you then~’’ he cheerfully said, as he held her hand gently and took the lead. Her eyes widened as she let him take the lead.

They were still walking. But they were also hand in hand. Sehun was still smiling as he led her. Joohyun blushed as she saw how people are looking at them. She doesn’t know why, but she’s shy, yet she doesn’t want to let go of his grip either.

First destination, a café.

They entered and all Joohyun could say was, ‘’Waaah, kyeopta~’’ and Sehun chuckled to this as he looked for his friends.

‘’Hyung!’’ he called as he gently pulled Joohyun beside him. On the counter was two people, a girl and a boy and when they entered, four waiters came to them, two girls and two boys, greeting Sehun.

‘’Guys, I just want to introduce my friend, Seo Joohyun~’’ he said, putting one arm around her shoulder, making the people smile teasingly at them.

‘’Aigoo, maknae’s introducing his girl friend.’’ The tall guy with a deep voice said, making everyone laugh as the two blushed. ‘’Aish, look what you’ve done Yeol?! They’re shy now. Aish Jjinja…’’ the girl behind the counter with chanyeol hit chanyeol as she smiled warmly at Joohyun. ‘’I’m Yuri, by the way.’’She introduced as she elbowed Chanyeol to do the same. “Ah, Chanyeol imnida~!’’ he cheerfully exclaimed. Then one by one they introduced them selves.

‘’Tiffany, and I’m guessing I’m your unnie?’’ she smiled and Joohyun nodded happily.

‘’Yo, Kris here!’’ yelled a waiter cleaning table 12.

‘’Sooyoung’s the name, dear~’’ a tall girl exclaimed, going near Seohyun and hugging her.

‘’Baekhyun’s my name, lovely miss~’’ A guy went near her and took her hand to kiss it gently before looking at her and winking. Sehun quickly pulled Seohyun away from baekhyun as he glared at him. Bakehyun smirked as he continued his duties. Everyone else laughed quietly as they saw how Joohyun was blushing and how sehun seemed to have steam coming out of his nostrils.

Sehun then, ushered Joohyun to sit on a chair as he talked to them in the kitchen behind the counter.

‘’Guys, don’t you recognize her?’’ Sehun asks, his eyes shimmering. Everyone looked at him in a questioning look as he sighed. ‘’She’s the girl. At the hospital, the one I’m always talking about!’’ he gently shouted. And everyone gaped at him before saying ‘Ahh, that girl’ and sehun finally smiled at them.

‘’So? Didn’t you say she was dying?’’ baekhyun asked, making everyone look at him as Sehun glared at him once more. Chanyeol hit baekhyun’s head as Sehun continued.

‘’Yes…’’ sehun sighed. ‘’She is, but I heard the doctor say that he’s giving her one day to decide if she’s gonna do the operation or not…’’

‘’That’s why I’m here… I wanna make her say yes.’’

All the girls in the kitchen were wooed at how manly Sehun has become. Tiffany went hear him as she hugged him. She faked her tears as she said.‘’It seems as if it was just yesterday that our hunnie was still a kid…’’ she patted his back before looking back at everyone and clasping her hands. ‘’How romantic~!’’

‘’Aish, don’t act like a mom Tiffany~!’’ Sooyoung scowled at her, looking at her with disgust.

They went out of the kitchen only to find her there, talking to a young customer, specifically a kid, nothing Sehun could’ve been jealous of, but she was selling her smiles to the kid. The staff giggled at how Sehun looked flustered just by looking at the two who were conversing. Suddenly, Sehun placed his hand on the table, the two stopped conversing as Sehun faked a cough and asked her to eat.

She bid her goodbye to the kid as she nodded to Sehun in agreement. He sat opposite her as baekhyun came and asked for their orders. As Sehun was looking through the menu, he noticed how baekhyun flirtatiously held Joohyun’s hand. Sehun showed his signature poker face and slapped the menu at baekhyun’s hand.

‘’I’ll just take the usual and for her too, now go.’’ Sehun scowled at baekhyun as baekhyun rolled his eyes with a smirk before leaving the two.

Joohyun chuckled at Sehun’s pouting face when suddenly she pinched his cheeks. ‘’Haha, kyeopa~!’’ she said making him more flustered than ever.

The food came and it was Kris who brought it to them. Sehun sighed as he glared at baekhyun. They ate happily before leaving the café.

‘’So, that’s where you planned on taking her first, huh?’’ she innocently asked.

Sehun nodded as he placed his hands in his pockets as they walk slowly. ‘’And you’re gonna make her eat ‘the usual’ from your favourite café, hmm… Isn’t that a movie classic?’’ she chuckled, remembering the movie. Sehun giggled at her cuteness as he ruffled her hair playfully.

Their next destination, the amusement park.

‘’But why here?’’ she asked him curiously. Sehun looked at her it a questioning look, too. ‘’B-but.. don’t girls like amusement parks..??’’ he stuttered, asking her calmly. She looked at the place, pouting.

‘’Well, if it’s a bad idea the—‘’

‘’Aniya~ Its nice~!’’ she playfully said as she held his hand. ‘’Let’s go~! Kaja!’’ she shouted playfully at him as a smile escapes his lips.

They both headed to the ferris wheel since Joohyun said she hasn’t been on one before. As soon as they got in, Joohyun gulped when she felt the ride moving. She unconsciously hugged Sehun’s arm as she closed her eyes.

‘’wh—‘’

‘’Just this time. Please, Sehun. I’m scared.’’ She pleaded. Sehun’s heart thumped a million times faster than usual and he seems to have something going on inside his stomach. He instinctively took his arm away from her grasp. Joohyun pouted but what sehun did next, surprised her.

The arm that he took away from her was now wrapped around her shoulder protectively, making her snuggle closer to him. She looked up at him, who was smiling as he looked out the window. She smiled as well as she stared out the window and hugged his torso with her arms and placed her head on his chest. Both of them were looking out the window and enjoying the view, whilst hugging each other.

‘’Seo Joohyun, you wanna know how I’ll confess to her?’’ he asked, out of the blue. And Joohyun swore, she felt disappointed. Not because he broke the silence from watching the scenery, but because there’s another girl that Sehun was referring to. And she thought it wasn’t her. She nodded as he continued.

‘’I’d say… Seo Joohyun, I like you very much, no scratch that, I love you. From the very first time I saw you up to now. I still love you.’’ She cringed her nose when she heard her name as an example. She looked up at him with a frown. ‘’Why don’t you say her real name, why still use my name as an example?’’ she innocently asked.

He smiled as he looked down at her. ‘’Because, Joohyun… It was you all along.’’ Joohyun’s eyes widened and her embrace loosened, so does his. Thoughts came into her mind as she realized something. ‘’H-how did you know.. about my… my illness?’’ she stuttered, not looking into his eyes, for tears were threatening to pour out.

Sehun sighed as he made her face him and wiped her tears away. ‘’I knew, cause I was there. I know its really wrong of me to do so… but I really like you from the first time I saw you. My mom was sick and we had to bring her to my dad’s hospital. Before I went home, I saw you crying on a corner, saying that you don’t want to stay in such a scary place. And you know what? I left that milk packet for you. And everyday, I’d always find myself going the dad’s hospital even though my mom already discharged. Its because of you… And eventually, I knew…’’ he trailed off as tears started to pour from her eyes.

Her sobbing was the only thing heard inside the carriage of the ferris wheel. He then, pulled her in for a hug as she hugged him back. ‘’Joohyun, please. Please do the operation. There’s a lot of people the loves you. Your mom, your dad, your brother, your friends… And Me.’’ He said as tears threaten to escape his eyes too.

‘’But I’m scared of risking my life for an operation. What if I don’t survive? What if I die? It’ll only be the same, Sehun, there’s no guarantee that I’ll be saved.’’ She sobbed. It hurts to think that the one you love might die in a minute, an hour or a day. That’s what Sehun felt, it hurts him so much.

The ride ended and both had they’re eyes puffy from all the crying. Sehun had to buy a hat for both of them to hide their eyes. Joohyun picked his hat and it was a bear. When Sehun picked her hat, it was an elmo hat and Sehun can’t help but to laugh.

‘’Yah, what’s so funny?’’ she pouted. He then pinched her nose as they headed out the store and people looked at them as if they were weird. Well, who wouldn’t? A cute walking female Elmo, hooked her arms to a Tall handsome walking Bear. They enjoyed each others company as they walked around the amusement park.

Last destination, the beach.

It was sunset  and Joohyun forgot about her father’s words. She leaned her head onto Sehun’s shoulder as Sehun leaned his head on hers. It was quiet as they watched the sun set. When suddenly Seohyun spoke.

“I don’t know if I’m gonna accept your confession or not…’’ then she removed her head from his shoulder and he looked at her questioningly.

‘’..Cause maybe if I did, then I’ll die, you’ll cry and fill the han river… Or if I didn’t, then I’ll die and you won’t even go to my fune—‘’ she continued but was cut off when Sehun hushed her with a kiss.

‘’Stop saying that.’’ He said, after kissing her. ‘’You’re not gonna die. My dad’s a good doctor. He won’t let you die. Not when I’ve finally let you know how I feel…’’

Then he looked at her, the tears in her eyes were falling like rain and Joohyun quickly buried her face on his shoulder. ‘’I want to know how you feel…’’ sehun her hair. ‘’…About me.’’

And with that, he faced her and held out his hand to her with his pinky finger out.

‘’Will you, Seo Joohyun, promise to come out of the operating room, safe and sound?’’ a weak smile playing on both of their lips.

‘’I promise.’’ She replied as she intwined her pinky finger with his, but as soon as she did, her vision started to blur and Sehun’s worried face was the last thing she saw.

‘’Sehun…’’

 

The booming voice of the hospital’s director’s son was heard across the hospital’s corridors as Sehun rushed Joohyun to the hospital.

‘’Joohyun-ah! Don’t leave me! Joohyun-ah!’’ he shouted, before telling the nurse to contact Joohyun’s family. She was sent to the operating room and Sehun could no nothing but wait.

He sat on one of the chairs outside the operating room as he waited. A few minutes have passed when suddenly her family came and asked him about her condition. Joohyun’s father placed a hand on his shoulder before going to the opposite side to sit on the chair, along with Joohyun’s mother.

Sehun looked at the ground, reminiscing the time he had spent with her, a smile escaped his lips as he remembered how she promised. And almost as instantly the smile turned into a frown when he remembered how she fell unconscious.

Suddenly he felt someone standing infront of him. He looked up only to see a guy, holding up his hand for him. ‘’Kyuhyun, Joohyun’s brother.’’ The guy said, making sehun sit up straight as he held the hand shook it. ‘’Sehun, uhm.. Joohyun’s… err…’’

‘’Admirer?’’ Joohyun’s brother continued and he was taken aback by that word. Admirer? Am I an Admirer? He asked himself in his thoughts as Kyuhyun continued his words.

‘’Don’t worry, dude. I know who you are, You think I don’t see you peeking in her room every time she gets examined?’’Kyuhyun chuckled as Sehun looked at the ground, blushing. Kyuhyun patted his back as the doctor came out and told them that the operation was a success, all they have to do now was wait.

Sehun stayed outside, while her family went inside the room to check on her. And after they did, Sehun quickly sat on a chair beside her bed and held her hand. He prayed to the heavens that Joohyun would wake up and be just fine. After that, he kissed her hand and fell asleep on it.

After a few hours…

Sehun woke-up, cause he felt someone his hair. The hand that he was holding a while ago, was now not under his palm. He shot-up on to hear a giggle.

‘’J-Joohyun?’’ he asked, and there, he saw how her eyes sparkle as she looked at him. She was still on the bed as she leaned forward to reach for his hand and when she did, she kissed it. A tear escaped his eyes as he went near her and hugged her.

Suddenly a cough was heard behind them.

He looked around, only to see Joohyun’s family and his friends. A serious look bestowed upon sehun by Joohyun’s father and brother. The two then, smiled as Sehun held her hand tighter and Joohyun chuckled in amusement.

Joohyun’s family and Sehun’s friends were ushered by Kyuhyun to go out and leave the two alone.

‘’I’m so happy, Joohyun. I’m glad you’re safe.’’ He hugged her. Joohyun hugged him, too as she replied. ‘’I never break a promise, oppa~!’’ 



a/n: I hope you guys enjoyed it~! ^^