Travelin' Soldier

Travelin' Soldier

Jason was born in the middle of a small quiet southern town in Louisiana. The town never seemed to age as time went by. Everyone knew one another making it a very tight knit community, with children growing up in their family homes and continuing their lives in that same home. For Jason it was slightly different, he was raised in an orphanage and he never knew anything about his parents much less his past, but growing up in a small town he quickly learned, even if he did not have a story everyone else had a story to share. His need to know more stories led him to a small diner at the edge of town named Suzy’s.

This small diner was known throughout the town because of the many people that would stop by on their way to bigger and better places. The fact that it was attached to the bus stop that led through Texas and on to California, sure made for some interesting people to stop by. Jason loved his job as a waiter because it seemed that people just wanted to talk to him about their troubles or their travels anytime he was around. There was always a story that came along with each person.

He never understood what it was about him that allowed people to open up to him. As far as he could tell he was an average looking person, nothing special. About 5’6 with soulful dark brown eyes, unruly brown wavy locks that just would not stay put no matter how many products he put in it, and an average build not too scrawny not too built. Jason was not about to complain though, he loved hearing all these stories.

After two years of working at the diner, now eighteen, Jason was getting ready for the last two months he would spend as a waiter at Suzy’s. With the craving for more stories, Jason had applied to the University of Florida for journalism and was accepted. He had figured out what he wanted to do for the rest of his life and nothing was going to stop him. There was nothing he was attached to apart from Suzy’s, but it was time for him to move on and make a story of his own. What Jason had not realized that in his final two months in Suzy’s, he was going to create a story that he would share for the rest of his life.

The day stared like any normal day for Jason, it was the beginning of summer so classes were out and his final days at Suzy’s were about to begin. Getting up he got ready for work in his usual uniform a pair of black slacks, a white collared shirt, and simple black and white chuck’s on his feet. Taking the same quite route he always did to get to Suzy’s, Jason smiled as he watched two birds fly across the clear blue sky, “It is going to be a good day today. I just know it.”

Finally arriving at Suzy’s, Jason waved hello at the cook and the only other waitress on duty, Jackie. Grabbing his burgundy apron off the hanger in his locker, he tied it around his waist and set off to work. Moving across the tables and booths with ease, Jason allowed a simple smile to form on his face as he recognized the beginning of a peaceful day. Nothing special happened with the morning customers, just a couple of locals that enjoyed Suzy’s delicious food, but no one with a new story. Maybe it was because it was a Monday.

As the clock struck twelve o’clock noon, Jason set off to fill the sugar containers as Jackie went on break. Only three hours left until his shift was over for the day. Grabbing the final container, the bell resonated across the empty diner announcing a new customer. Lifting his head from his work Jason welcomed the new customer with a smile, “Welcome to Suzy’s, sit wherever you like. I will be with you in a moment.”

Jason watched out of the corner of his eye, as the tall male customer made his slow way to a corner booth. Taking quick note of where he decided to seat, Jason finished filling the sugar container and made his way over to the new customer with the coffee pot in hand.

"Hello, I'm Jason and I'll be your server for the evening. Is there anything I can get you?" Jason asked with a sweet smile. Grabbing his notepad, quietly he waited patiently for the customer to say anything. When he didn't, Jason tilted his head and tried to capture the raven-haired male’s attention and asked again, "Is there anything I get you sir?"

Finally the man looked up and he took Jason's breath away. He was beautiful. He had porcelain white skin with dusty rose pink lips and green eyes that caused Jason's heart to beat in a frenzy. This man sitting before him was just too beautiful for words. Leaning back a bit he cleared his throat and tried to smile once more. Even with the guys beauty he seemed to be really shy and unaware of his beauty.

Jason watched as the male grabbed the cup of coffee flipping it over. Taking that as his cue, Jason filled the coffee mug with ease. Pulling the coffee pot back Jason watched as the customer wrapped his hands around the mug, then look right back at him with his green eyes, “Would you mind sitting down for a while and talk to me? I’m feeling a little low.”

Quickly Jason looked at his watch and then back at the raven haired beauty, “Well I am not off until three, but maybe I can talk to the other waitress and see if she can cover for me? I know a place we can go if you truly want to talk.”

For the first time the customer smiled and nodded. Jason was struck by the sheer beauty of that simple smile, cliché as it was, the young male’s smile caught the light off the window and it seemed to form a halo around him, like an angel. Walking away with a smile, Jason nibbled lightly on his bottom lip trying to stop himself from blushing at such thoughts. He was not sure what had caused him to actually consider to take time off his job to go off and talk with the green eyed wonder, but there was just something inside of him telling him there was a story there. With a slight skip in his step, Jason went into the back room to ask Jackie to cover for him. Without a moment’s hesitation Jackie agreed with a smile.

Allowing her time to finish her break at least, Jason wiped down the counter top of the bar. Sneaking glances to get another look at the stranger sitting alone in a corner booth just holding the coffee mug. Jason was a bit confused by such actions, why ask for coffee if he was not going to drink it? The possibility that he had been wrong and the customer had not wanted the coffee, suddenly struck out in his mind. Feeling a bit put off by his thoughtlessness, Jason walked over to the cash register and paid for the coffee mug himself.

Feeling a bit better, Jason heard the swish of the break room opening. Seeing Jackie walk out he smiled at her as he walked into the break room to put his apron away. A bit nervous, Jason walked into the bathroom and threw some water onto his warm face. “Pull yourself together Jason. It is just another story that you want to hear. Breathe. Just breathe.”

After his brief pep talk, Jason walked back out with a sure smile on his face, straight to the booth in back. his hands once then twice, Jason stood once more in front of the raven-haired male. Taking in a deep breath, he made sure his smile was in place and calmly said, “Hey, I paid for your coffee and I’m off the clock.”

With a soft chuckle the raven-haired got up and Jason took notice that he was taller than him by a good four inches and he liked that. Silently Jason took this complete stranger the short walk from the diner to a river a mile up the highway. The sun beat down on both males, but it did not seem to bother either of them. Seeing the river up ahead Jason skipped ahead with a smile, “Here we are” with him arms outstretched while he turned to look back at the other.

Sitting down on the soft grass, Jason patted the spot next to him as an invitation to the other to sit down with him. As the other sat down, Jason watched the river flow in silence allowing them both to collect their thoughts. Nothing was a said for a while and Jason was okay with it. It felt just right, when the silence was broken by “My name is Minhyun by the way.”

Even though it was almost a whisper Jason still heard it, with a smile he curled his arms around his knees and laid his head on them to look at Minhyun, “Minhyun? Nice to meet you I’m Jason.”

A simple smile grew on Minhyun’s face as he turned to face the water and then it was like they had known each other forever. They laughed at each other’s jokes and even though Minhyun was raised in a high class family it seemed to make no difference for the two boys sitting down by the river. Even though there were many differences between the two, there was also a lot of similarities. They both enjoyed watching scary movies and hated all time classics. Both preferred to sit around in silence, then be at a party. While there were similarities they did have their differences. The biggest difference was that Jason knew what he wanted to do for the rest of his life and Minhyun did not.

“I have always wanted to write,” Jason began as he waddled into the cool river, “Ever since I can remember, I enjoyed hearing stories and I want to create my own. I don’t really have a past so my story is shorter than most, but I do know how to appreciate the differences and special experiences we all go through.”

Jason watched silently as Minhyun took in all his words, but his face seemed to fall slightly at his words, “You are lucky. I don’t know what I want to do for the rest of my life. My mother and father both say that I should go to Columbia and get my doctorates degree, just like they did, but it does not seem right for me. Every single time I would get ready to start my application I would freeze, until it was too late. Maybe that is why I made the choice I did.”

Jason scrunched his face up in confusion. What did he mean the choice he made? Just as he was about to question him, Jason got distracted by the sun setting. Minhyun’s shoulders started to cave outward, until the sunset was right in front of their eyes. Jason stared in wonder at all the beautiful colors the sunset emitted, “Wow isn’t that beautiful. I love sunsets it is a truly magical moment.”

“It also the end of another day and tomorrow everything will not be the same.” Minhyun muttered out, Jason turned to look at him with confusion.

“That is a sad way to think of the sunsets as. Just because the day is ending it does not mean that everything will change, Minhyun.” Jason could not help himself from retaliating softly, but not two seconds later a single tear streamed down Minhyun’s face. With wide eyes Jason quickly pulled the brunette into a tight hug, “Oh Minhyun I am so sorry. I did not mean to make you upset.”

Jason could feel Minhyun’s shoulders shake slightly before he pulled away to look into his eyes, “You did not make me upset Jason,” Minhyun mumbled, “It’s just that I have signed up for the army and I am leaving tomorrow morning for training. My parents don’t know what I have done. If they did I know they would disown me, but I had no choice. I am scared that I am going to go insane Jason. I have no one left. I have no one to write to.”

Was it possible to feel his heart breaking over someone he had just met a couple of hours ago? Was it possible to fall in love after such a short meeting? Jason did not know, but seeing Minhyun look so distraught was hurting him and knowing he might not get to see him again was killing him. Without a second thought Jason cupped Minhyun’s face wiped his tears and leaned forward. The second their lips touched was like fireworks blew off in Jason’s head. Minhyun’s lips were soft and smooth, but what made it special was that he was responding. The raven’s slim fingers ran through his hair and his own made their way around Minhyun’s waist. When oxygen became an issue Jason pulled away softly. Using his right hand he rubbed Minhyun’s soft cheek and whispered, “You can write to me.”

Time seemed to go by slowly for Jason after the day by the river with Minhyun. Everything was different, yet the same all at the same time. His days and nights consisted of Minhyun’s sweet memory. There was a part of him that left with Minhyun that he knew he was never going to get back. In just a short couple of hours he had made his way into his heart and soul.

Jason seemed to breathe a bit easier when the first letter came. It was two weeks after Minhyun had left, but it meant the world to him that he took the actual time to write to him, the letter began with:

My sweet Jason,

 I am sorry it has taken me so long to write to you, but please don’t think I have forgotten about you. There is not a single moment when I cannot help but think of you. Things are pretty hectic around here, but then I think back on that night by the river.  It keeps me sane. Your memory keeps me sane. I miss you more than anything Jason. I wish you were here with me, but I am glad you are not at the same time. If you were with me, you would be heading to war and I don’t want that. I want you to be safe and happy. That night we sat by the river is my favorite memory and I think of it often to keep my nightmares away. I am so scared that I am not going to make it back to you or that when I do come back you will have found someone else. It’s kind of funny isn’t it? I am heading off to war, but I am worried you will find someone else.

Please take care of yourself,

Minhyun

A couple of tears slipped down Jason’s cheeks and onto the paper. Bringing the single sheet of paper up to his face he took in a deep breath trying to capture the essence that was Minhyun. Setting the paper down, he grabbed a blank one and began his response:

Traevlin’ Soldier Minhyun,

There is nothing to apologize for. I am glad you took the time to write to me. There is not a minute that goes by that you are not on my mind. I miss you more than words can express. You took a part of me with you that day and I don’t want it back. Is it too soon to tell you that I am in love with you? I hope not because I am. I love you so much Minhyun. I wish you were with me too. Please be safe. That night by the river is my favorite as well. I am glad you came into the café that day. Sometimes I sit down and I close my eyes and I see your pretty smile. It keeps me sane. You keep me sane. Please don’t speak of not coming back or me finding someone else, but you. You are it for me. There is never going to be anyone but you. Please don’t worry of just things because whether you like it or not I am going to be here waiting for the love of a travelin’ soldier.

I love you,

Jason

The letters continued like that back and forth from Texas then from Iraq. Each one speaking of the fears they had and the love they had for one another. Even though some may say that they are too young to know what they felt it. Jason knew it deep in his heart that he was created for Minhyun. The day they met was destiny. What were the chances that they would have been the only two in the diner that day? None.

Jason never told Minhyun, but sometimes he would pull all the letters out from a small box he kept under his bed and slept with them clutched to his chest as he cried. He cried often for the fear of the unknown. For the fear that he might never return. There were too many what if’s that it was aging Jason, but he what not take back meeting Minhyun over anything.

The last letter Jason ever received from Minhyun was quick and sloppy with just two short sentences and one very important question:

Don’t worry but I won’t be able to write for a while. I love you Jason. Marry me?

Jason cried when he read that short letter. Minhyun was asking him to marry him and he of course was going to say yes. He prayed every night for Minhyun’s well-being and that he would get home safe. As the days went by Jason did his best not to think of the letter that was not getting a response.

Days turned into weeks and slowly a month passed with no response. Jason was doing his best to keep himself together, but it was getting harder with every day that passed by and he did not receive a response. It did not help that it was now his final week in Louisiana before he made his way to college, but Jason did not lose hope though that Minhyun would respond soon.

One sunny Friday, Jason picked up the newspaper from the front of his house and decided to read it for once. Sitting down on the simple couch he leaned back against the headrest. There was nothing special going on in the community, so he blankly flipped through the pages until a single image made him sit up. The caption read “Heir to the PL Group Dead” and under it a picture of Minhyun in his military uniform. With a hand over his mouth he shook his head as tears started to cloud his vision, “No, no, no, no, no it’s not true. It’s not true.”

A sob left his lips and he hunched over and clutched the picture to his chest. Broken sobs left his body as he cried out for Minhyun over and over again. It did not feel real, it felt like a horrible nightmare he just could not wake up from. The sobs slowed down until all that was left was the shallow shell of Jason and the silent tears the trailed down his cheeks. With shaky hands he looked at the newspaper clenched tightly in his hands and the travelin’ soldier that was never going to come home.