Chapter 05

Stardust

“Does it still hurt?” Miyoung asked, eyeing his scrapped skin.

“It doesn’t hurt when I see you.” Woohyun teased, pulling his shirt sleeve down.

Miyoung shook her head in disbelief that he could still joke in such a state.  

“Maybe it won’t hurt if you kiss me. Didn’t you watch dramas and all?” he teased, stepping forward.

“Yah, Nam Woohyun!” She pushed him away.

Woohyun flinched a little at the ache that was travelling up his arms but still smiled.

 “Thank you for today, Woohyun.” Miyoung bowed slightly.

“We are friends so stop thanking me...” He shook his head at the girl.  

“Bye bye.” She waved with a light chuckle.

“I am glad that I am the one hurt instead of you…” Woohyun thought as Miyoung walked away.

“I am sorry.” She apologized in her heart, wishing Woohyun could hear.

Tears welled up in her eyes as she closed the door again. She had always allowed her strong exterior to fall only when the darkness consumed her. In the dark, nobody knew, nobody cared and nobody was there to judge. It was ironical how she could only be her true self only when the door closes behind her. Miyoung hit herself in the head. She hated the feeling of burdening the people around her . She hated it even more when was able to do anything about it seeing the people she cared getting hurt. Flashbacks of Woohyun being hit non-stop by the man who targeted her haunted her the whole night.

“Yah, panda!” Woohyun called out.

She ignored him, hoping he would take the cue to stop calling her.

“Yah, Park Miyoung.” Woohyun was standing beside her now.

“There are many students from our school around, Woohyun.” She whispered, looking away.

 “Is this like some underground relationship we are having?” Woohyun smirked.

“Yah. You know the reason why I am doing this since day one…” She snapped softly.

“What would people think if they see the heart throb and the outcast of the school being friends?” She mumbled softly but loud enough for Woohyun to hear.

She hated calling herself an outcast, just like what the other students did. It felt like she was admitting that she was of a lower level.

“I don’t really care about what they thin-”

“But I do, Woohyun.” She snapped.

“You’ll never understand.” She thought as she got off the stop.

The people around them cast confused glances at the two, wishing they had spoken a little louder. Woohyun would have given chase but he knew that would not be what she wanted. He got off and walked slowly towards the school gate.

“Hey Woohyun.” His friends surrounded him in a speed of light.

“Hey.” He returned the greeting, eyes unknowingly scanning the student crowd.

“What happened to you, bro?” Sunggyu eyed his injuries from his face to his arms.

“You got into a fight yesterday?” His friend chimed in.

“It’s nothing. Let’s go to class.” Woohyun laughed it off and they walked off together.

“Oppa, you look so hot today!” Someone screamed from afar.

“Take care of yourself please~” Another fangirl yelled.

The others were throwing hearts and flashing their best smiles at the boy who smiled back charismatically.

Now, Woohyun had earned more points for being the handsome kingka with a sprinkle of bad boy vibes.

Miyoung was barely focusing on the lessons as she thought back about her exchange with Woohyun. He would never understand. She was afraid. Miyoung was afraid that those judging glances would increase tenfold. She was afraid of being the outcast in the spotlight being pointed fingers at even with Woohyun by her side. She knew it was cowardly and wrong to succumb to those social prejudices and ridiculous high school hierarchy but she still did.

“Miss Park, lessons are over.”

Miyoung swallowed her saliva seeing her mathematics teacher standing before her table with his long ruler in hand.

“But it seems like you would need extra lessons with me after school.” He added.

She was caught for spacing out for the first time she decided not to listen in class, how lucky.

“And you Mr. Lee, I appreciate your thoughts of learning Binomial in dreamland to ease my load. Kindly join Miss Park in the extra lessons today. Understand?!” He raised his voice.

“Ne.” The two chorused, lowering their heads.

The bell went off, signifying the end of a torturous day at school. Also, the start of extra lessons for Miyoung and Sungyeol. Miyoung trailed behind Sungyeol and couldn’t help but notice how his legs were really long. He had a tall built, a handsome face hidden behind glasses and probably a nice smile which he doesn’t show. Her thoughts were disrupted when her head crashed into his back causing her to stumble backwards a few steps.

“Sorry.” She quickly apologized, rubbing her head.

He ignored her and walked into the teacher’s staff office.

“Welcome to Binomial extra lessons on this beautiful afternoon.” The teacher surely had a way in sarcasm.

“Finish this and you may leave.” He handed them two thick sets of Binomial practice sheets.

“Oh right. You got to get it all correct to go home.” He added with a hideous smile.

The two returned to class and started working on the papers. Miyoung was glad that she was good with numbers and occasionally, she would glance over to peep whether Sungyeol was doing fine. It seems like he was even better at the speed he was solving, she thought.

“Hey, that part is wrong.” She pointed out and Sungyeol ignored her, continuing to solve.

“Why do you always ignore me?” Miyoung finally asked.

“I don’t like to talk.” He replied without looking at her.

“Why do you not like to talk?” She pressed on.

“Why do you show so much interest in me?” he asked, turning to face her. 

Her heartbeat increased slightly at his sudden and misleading outburst. 

“It’s just I spotted an error so I thought I should point it our so we can all go home earlier…”

“I am done, by the way.” Sungyeol stood up with his papers and his bag.

“You have not edited that question’s answer though.” She reminded.

He walked away without a second word and she scratched her head in confusion.

Miyoung finished the papers ten minutes later and went to the teacher’s office. Her answers were all correct, earning a disbelief stare from the teacher who dismissed her. She wondered if Sungyeol edited the answer before going to the teacher. Has he left? She wondered why she was showing so much interest to Sungyeol, too. Maybe it was because she felt like he was suffering the same fate as her, having almost all backs' turned upon them. Or maybe it was his courage of truly not caring about how others viewed him and simply not bothering to try to be accepted.  Walking back, Miyoung saw Woohyun sitting at the benches watching his team mates playing soccer. She looked away and continued walking towards the school gates with fastened footsteps. 

Woohyun watched her walk away hurriedly and looked back at the sky.

Did you see the heart in the sky?

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: 

Finally updated this one :D. Hope you guys liked it ^^
Do comment and tell me if you're enjoying the fic~