o 1

Fate & Destiny.

kiss b

::

1384, Goryeo, King's Palace.

The full moon shone brightly, and the surrounding stars twinkled in the sky. A slight breeze rustled the trees, causing the trees planted in the garden to shed their leaves, which floated to the ground beautifully. Kim Suho, crown prince of Goryeo, sat in his study, his expressive eyes focused on the book he was currently reading. He narrowed his eyes at a particular word he did not understand, and was about to look it up when a knock on his door interrupted his concentration. A frown marred his lovely features as he prepared to chide his aide for not listening to his strict 'do not disturb' instruction.

"Come in." he snapped his book shut and rubbed his eyes tiredly as he commanded in an authoritative voice.

Before his father passed away, he had always told Suho to be firm. But to do so, he had to be able to command respect from every single person. Yet, Suho, a soft-spoken child, never understood how he was supposed to do that until he was into adulthood and forced to train relentlessly to take over the throne. Now, his voice had taken a hardened edge to it, and his eyes were constantly scrutinising his subjects, afraid that they would plot behind his back.

The doors were pushed open to reveal his mother, Empress Kim, a beautiful woman who did not look a day over twenty, when she was, in actual fact, thirty-eight. Her doe-like eyes were shaped into crescents as she spotted the book, 'History through the Years' on the desk.

"Mother." Suho stood up abruptly from the chair, all traces of annoyance gone. "Why didn't you get Eunuch Jang to announce your arrival?" he asked, embracing her.

"Your highness," she laughed softly, her laughter a soft tinkle that was melodic and pleasant to the ears, as she pulled away, wearing an identical grin to her son. "It's not early anymore, and I didn't want to wake anyone up, so I came by myself."

"Mother." he sighed. "Still, you should have Eunuch Jang by your side at all times."

She patted his arm reassuringly. "That's alright, I just wanted to discuss a few matters with you. That is, if you're free and I'm not interrupting your late night study sessions."

"Of course, how can I reject Mother when you made the trip here alone?" he guided her over to a small table and poured tea for her. "What did you want to talk about? I'm sure it is of utmost importance and discretion for you to come alone in the middle of the night."

"It's time for you to take a Crown Princess, your highness." she said bluntly, ignoring Suho's shocked expression, as she continued, "I should have asked you to take a bride when you were eighteen, but you were too busy learning the ropes, and your position was not stable with those cunning foxes vying your throne. Once you're married, I can then pass on the throne to you."

"Mother," he shook his head, replacing the teapot to its original position as he sat across her. "I'm still young."

"Suho, you are already twenty-one. You can't delay any longer or your people will talk. If you're agreeable, I'll have Kwangmin send word to General Cheon. He has a beautiful and talented daughter who will serve you and the citizens of Goryeo well. I'm sure she will make a wonderful Queen." she smiled gently, putting her hands on top of his.

Suho relented, plastering a fake smile on his face as he nodded his agreement. "I trust your judgement, Mother. Have Kwangmin notify General Cheon then."

::

1384, Goryeo, General Cheon's residence.

"Seoyoung, do this for me, please."

"I-" the said girl stared at her feet, refusing to meet eyes with her friend, Minjung.

Minjung let out a frustrated sigh. "Please, I can't become the Emperor's bride. You know my heart belongs to Baekhyun."

"Minjung, I-I-"

"I know deceiving the Emperor is a crime punishable by death, but I'll make sure no one knows you're Jeon Seoyoung. You'll become Cheon Minjung, the Crown Princess of Goryeo-"

"You know I don't care for riches." Seoyoung said softly.

Jeon Seoyoung was adopted by the Cheons after her mother had passed away when she was a month old. Wanting a playmate and a servant for their daughter, Minjung, they decided to take her in. Although she could dress lavishly, she chose to wear tattered dresses that were hand-me-downs from Minjung, and she never once complained.

"I know." Minjung took her hand. "Do this for my happiness. Please. As your friend, I've never requested anything from you. If you're afraid of being found out, I'll help you. Besides, Mother and Father rarely go into the palace. Just avoid them when they do so."

"I- Alright." Seoyoung swallowed hard and closed her eyes as she uttered the single word that would seal her fate forever.

Yet, she did not regret it, as Minjung's bright smile washed away every single doubt she had about being a part of the crazy plan that would probably get her killed.

::

1384, Goryeo, King's Palace.

"Good luck, Seoyoung. And thank you so much. You're the best sister ever." Minjung pulled her in for a tight hug. "Hana will guide you through everything, so don't worry about it."

"What about you?" Seoyoung muttered lowly.

"Don't worry about me." Minjung dismissed her worry with a casual wave of her hand. "Before I forget..." she pushed a pouch and a jade pendant into Seoyoung's hands. "Take care." she whispered. "I hope we'll meet again." Minjung gathered her things and made her way down the carriage, careful to shield her face with a hat.

"Take care, Minjung."

::

2014, Korea, Cheon Residence

"I refuse."

"Minjung-"

"No." Minjung crossed her arms and pouted like a petulant child.

"Minjung, this marriage is important to both the Kims and the Cheons." her mother sighed.

Minjung glared at her. "Does my happiness matter to you? I won't marry someone I don't love. Why can't you just accept that I love Baekhyun? Even though he's a penniless singer, he makes me happy. Why must you sacrifice my happiness for money?"

"Sweetie," her mother cajoled. "You've only exchanged letters with Baekhyun. You've never met him in real life, how can you claim to love him? Marrying the crown prince of Korea will guarantee you happiness. You will never have to worry about finances. You can live a luxurious life and you'll be happy."

"No I won't! How can you can't measure happiness by wealth? Why must my happiness revolve around money? Everything you are concerned about is money, money, money. What about me?" she said tearfully. She turned to her friend, Seoyoung, who was leaning against the door, an amused smirk on her lips. "Seoyoung, say something!" she hissed.

"He's rich." she shrugged. "You can buy that ten-carat diamond ring from that auction now."

"Seoyoung! Not helping!" Minjung threw her a glare, which Seoyoung responded by sticking out her tongue playfully.

"I'm sorry, Minjung, but the engagement will take place this month." her father said with a tone of finality that left Minjung sinking into the couch, helpless.

Her mother patted her hand sympathetically as she followed her father's departure from the living room. Seoyoung snickered as she sat down beside Minjung and stretched her long, lean legs on the couch.

"I'll call up Vera Wang to design a wedding dress. Choos or Louboutins? Oh yes, flowers. I'll make sure they get 999 stalks-"

"You decide. After all, it's going to be your wedding." Seoyoung's scoffed as Minjung grinned.

"Your wedding you mean?"  The former reminded, snatching an apple off the coffee table and took a huge bite.

Minjung's almond-shaped eyes gleamed excitedly. "I have a perfect plan!"

"In like two minutes." Seoyoung retorted flatly. "Really, Minjung."

"And it involves you." Minjung smirked. "Get up, lazy . We're going to Vera Wang."

::

"Crazy." Seoyoung rolled her eyes. "Do you need me to call the mental hospital for you? What, a replacement bride. That's the funniest joke you've ever cracked, Jung."

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Minjung demanded, standing akimbo. "You," she jabbed her friend's chest with her finger, "are getting married in my place."

"And what makes you think I'll do it?" Seoyoung challenged, arching an eyebrow. "Miss, I'm not going to happily exchange vows with a man betrothed to my friend just because said friend wants me to."

Minjung bit her lip anxiously, "tell me what you want in exchange then!" she exploded, throwing her hands up into the air. "You're not lacking anything, what else could you possibly want? You have more freedom than me even!"

Seoyoung replied with a Cheshire cat grin plastered on her face. "Nothing. I'm not going to do it no matter what."

Suddenly, Minjung flashed her a sickly sweet smile that made her take a step back. "Really? I wonder how would Oppa react if I told him a little secret..." She smirked victoriously at her best friend's horrified expression. Score!

Seoyoung swallowed hard. "Throw in a brand new apartment in Gangnam and I'm sold." she sighed.

"It's a done deal." Minjung promised.

"What have I gotten myself into..."

--

Hope you enjoy.
Leave a comment below/ subscribe/ vote 


ᴡᴍ