Underneath The Night Skies (Jinwoon One-Shot)

Underneath The Night Skies (Jinwoon One-Shot)

-Eunmi’s POV-
“Mmmm,” I groaned in pain. My eyes slowly opened up, as the sunlight blinded my pupils. I lifted up my weak hands to cover the light. “Wh…Where am I?” my voice creaked, as the dryness of my throat constricted, causing me to cough.

“Woah there, calm down little one. You should drink some water before talking,” a voice spoke up, gently grabbing my hands and putting a cup in them. I nodded, still not able to see very well. I chugged down the cup of water, wanting to hydrate my throat again. After doing so, I rubbed my tired eyes and tried to focus them. Everything was blurry, but then the images became clearer and clearer, that I realized I was no longer in the halls of my school. I was in a different room.

“Don’t panic. We’re just here to help. You fainted at school today,” I turned to see Jinwoon smiling at me. I blushed a bit. “Awww someone’s blushing today,” Jinwoon teased.

I was about to hit him, when he looked at me with serious eyes. “What’s with the look, oppa?” I let my hands drop onto the bed.

“How could you? How could you not tell your best friend what’s happening?” his voice became so hurt and cold, that it stung in my heart as well. I didn’t plan to have him find out this way. Not like this at all.

“How did you know?” I looked down, ashamed of myself already.

“The doctor told me. He told me you were in even worse condition. He says you don’t even have much time left! How could you not tell your best friend about this?” he cried out, holding back those manly tears, that I have yet to see happen.

“I’m sorry oppa! I really am! I had planned to tell you. I swear. But I never found the time to tell you. You were just…so happy to talk to me again. It’s been years! Did you know how much pain I was in, trying to constantly tell you, but your smile and cheerful voice, which got me to shut up and it up!” I hit the bed.

“Is that why you wore scarves in class? Why you looked so thin and pale all the time?” Jinwoon whispered. I nodded, tears rolling down my cheeks. “Let me see your neck,” he hand lingered to my bare neck. He tilted my head at a good view angle to see all the bruises that were easily produced. “You may have all these bruises, but…you’re still beautiful.” He whispered, letting me go. I gave him a confused look. “I’m going to get you some food. You still need to eat.” He said, standing up and walking out the door.

That pabo Jinwoon. But what I said was definitely true. I couldn’t make Jinwoon worry about me, since about a couple of days ago, he was ignoring me for some reason. I still need to ask him about that. After seeing him smiling again, it put off some weight off my shoulders. He made my days even this situation better.

I looked after him, even after he was gone. I smiled to myself. Maybe this could be the one day that I could be selfish.   

*Day ONE*

“YAH! PABO! Wake up! Time for some breakfast!” the loud voice, made my eyes shot open.

“YAH! I’m trying to sleep,” I whined, pulling the thin blanket covers over my head.

“Nope! No sleeping for you! Now get your up and going! We have many things to do today!” the intruder slipped the blanket off, sending cold currents straight through my skin. I gasped, making me curl up immediately.

“YAH! I want my blankie back!” I whined, trying to get the bright light out of my eyes. “It’s cold and it’s bright in here.”

“Then get up, you lazy ! It’s already 10,” I began to recognize the voice, making me groan in unhappiness. “Jinwoon oppa! Please just let me sleep,” I whined again, while more goose bumps kept surfacing my skin.

Then I felt Jinwoon’s hand rest on my waist, making me melt in his warmth. “I want to make sure you get enough sunlight out. You’re so pale.”  

“Yeah I got it!” I sat up quickly, not wanting to feel the tingles he was sending up my skin. “I’ll wash up first! You…you go..uh..” I began to blush a bright shade of red. I kept stuttering, making myself look even stupider.

He chuckled at me. “Calm down. I see you’re just a bit tired from all this loudness, am I not right?” Jinwoon gave me one of his common goofy smiles, making me blush even more. “Here, I’ll help you out of bed,” he offered me, by grabbing my hands.

But I snatched my hands away, “I-I-I could m-manage!”

He gave me a lethal look and put his arms around my back, “Yah! You’re wasting time! So stop being stubborn and let me help you.”

So I allowed him to help me get off the bed, and my legs extended out to reach the floor. As soon as I reached the floor, my legs wobbled, throwing me off balance where I ended up falling into Jinwoon’s arms.

“Are you okay?!” Jinwoon asked worriedly, wrapping his arms around me.

I tried to gain my balance, but my legs to seem like they were asleep for a little bit. “Yeah…um…maybe we should just stay in my room,” I said, after trying to stay on my legs. I was completely embarrassed by this clumsy side of mine.

“No! I already started this day, it’ll be just a complete waste! I’ll just help you until you can get walking for a bit,” he insisted, wrapping his arms around me securely and encouraged me to start walking. I smiled and nodded.

After a few slips and trips here and there, I managed to walk on my own. That is…after 20 minutes.

“There you go! Now let’s get you something to eat. Then the doctor told me that you have an appointment with him at 5. So we have 4 hours to have fun!” Jinwoon smiled. I couldn’t help but smile as well. “Come on, oppa will lead the way for you,” he said, in a gentlemanly manner, lending his arm for me to wrap around. I giggled and did so, walking to the cafeteria.

If you haven’t noticed but I’m really sick right now. I have this illness that is pretty complicated. I can’t explain it to well, but the doctor simplified it to where it has something to do with my blood and how it’s not intact with my immune system. That’s why I have so many bruises. I’m getting more sensitive to little things now in days.

-Jinwoon’s POV-
“Is it really good?” I asked, nicely. She slowly ate, but I think she thinks she was eating a lot.

“How could I have so much food? It’s way too much for me! But yes, it’s so good. Want some of mine?” she offered me her small bowl of soup with rice in it. I shook my head.

“You need all the energy you can get from this,” she shrugged and continued to eat. Instead of eat, I continued to stare at her. She looked paler than ever and lost some weight as well. I don’t think she realizes it, but it looks like she can’t eat as much as possible. But she still has so much energy. I find her so amazing in so many ways.

“Oppa?” she looked at me weirdly. “Gwenchana?” I smiled and nodded, “Gwenchanayo. Eat quickly so we could go with today’s plan, araso?” I poked her nose. She smiled and continued to eat slowly. I sadly frowned and slurped my soup.

*Day TWO*

-Eunmi’s POV-
“Lookie who is here,” my doctor cheerfully walked in. I sat up, smiling up at him. “How are you feeling today?”

I smiled, “I’m doing fine. Thank you for asking.”

“Where’s your friend? He’s not here this morning?”

I shook my head and pointed downwards, beside my head. The doctor gave me a confused look, so I pulled him over to the other side of my bed to see what exactly I’m pointing at.

He looked on that side and looked back at me, with a questioning look. I giggled and put my finger up to my lips as my other hand pulled up the loose bed sheets on the side up and pointed under my bed. He got on his knees and looked and smiled, looking back at me.

There laid my best friend, sleeping under my bed. I was in the room where I couldn’t have visitors stay overnight. But Jinwoon refused to leave, even he refused in front of my parents. So the only solution he had was hiding away from the mere sight of all the nurses so he couldn’t get kicked out. That’s Jung Jinwoon for you.

I let go of the bed sheets and sat right back up. He stood back up as well.

“You have a good friend for sure,” the doctor chuckled a bit. I smiled. “Yeah. He’s pretty much the only friend I have ever had. Well a true friend.”

“He’s a very caring person. I could definitely could tell he cares for you for sure,” he nodded, pulling out his clipboard. I nodded, smiling like an idiot. “A true friend would stay by your side, no matter the consequence.”

I looked up at him, slightly confused about his use of words, “Do you have something to say?”

He took a deep sigh I tilted my head, “Doctor?”

He took off his glasses, “Eunmi…” he trailed off. I stared at him, worriedly. He took a seat at the end of my bed. I sat there as he began explaining my situation. He was talking about the scans results were in. As the conversation continued, he delivered the terrifying message to me as well. I looked down at my lap, as he tried to reassure me by telling me that they were here to help me. But nothing could be reassuring not after how long I have left. Tears began to form and trailed down my face. How am I supposed to tell Jinwoon this?

-Jinwoon’s POV-
“Eunmi…” the doctor trailed off as he sat on the bed. I was awake when I heard him talked about how great of a friend I am. I smiled like a goof ball.

“The results of the scans are in. I have them right here. You see Eunmi…Your situation? It has gotten a lot worse. And I know you’re strong. You really are strong. These days, you don’t seem to be eating too well, have you? Yet you’re so happy and full of energy. That’s what makes you a special patient. But this…this isn’t too easy for me to say…” he sighed again, in a depressing way. This can’t be good.

“Eunmi…you…you only have a good month to live, at the most,” he said. I covered my mouth. “But I reassure you that we will do the best we can to keep you living for even more than that! Please don’t cry! You have to be strong!” As the doctor kept trying to cheer her up with all the methods he has planned out, I was crying as well. Tears kept escaping. This can’t be happening. Why does it have to be her? I laid there, crying, even after the doctor has left, I just couldn’t stop the tears from escaping. The pain in my heart kept hurting me too much.

*Day 7*

“Say AH!” I smiled at her, as she weakly smiled back at me. “Come on~ you know you love my rice porridge!” I lured her with this delicious spoonful of my cooking. She didn’t open though, instead, she just stared right back at me. “Don’t want any? Looks like more for me!” I faked, opening my mouth to eat it. Then suddenly she grabbed the spoon with , eating it.

This was one way to get her to eat. But this was maybe the third time she has eaten in this whole week. She wasn’t eating much, these days. She’s been staring at all the food that was given to her, her appetite at loss. And now, she looks so thin and pale, looking very tired and unhappy. But when I’m around, most of the time, I manage to get her to smile.

A few days ago, Eunmi told me the news and all I did was hold her close to me as she cried on my shoulder and I kept my tears to myself. I wasn’t the first person to be told this. Of course her parents had to know about her condition as well. But I was the first person to hear it. But I didn’t tell Eunmi.

“Let’s go out for a walk okay?” I offered. She shook her head, rejecting my offer. I pouted, “Yah! You can’t be here all day.” She smiled again, making my heart beat faster. Why is she so beautiful?

“I don’t want to go out there. How about you take me to see the stars tonight?” she slyly offered.

-------

I opened Eunmi’s room door slowly, poking my head out. I looked both ways, and saw there were nurses in the halls now. I whispered, “C’mon, no one is out here.” I tiptoed out first, gently pulling out Eunmi.

We slowly walked down the quiet halls and used the stairs to get to the rooftop.

“It’s beautiful,” Eunmi inhaled the cold air. I chuckled and got the stuff out. I pulled out the blankets that I have gotten from home and set them out onto the smooth cement floor. I wanted Eunmi to be super warm so she wouldn’t get any sicker.

-Eunmi’s POV-
I kept looking up at the sky, and smiling happily. It’s been so long since I saw the beauty of the peaceful night sky. “Eunmi,” I turned around. Jinwoon was waving me over to him. I walked over to him and noticed that there was a large bed of blankets. “I finished making your bed,” he smiled at me. I looked over where he was at.

“But…you don’t have any blankets for yourself,” I pointed out.

He shook his head, “I could survive. I just want you to be warm.” Jinwoon gently grabbed my hand, sending warm tingles through me. He made sure he wasn’t putting too much pressure onto me as he helped me lay down into the bed of warmness. He’s being so nice to me right now. This human being is so caring and considerate sometimes I wonder if this is the real Jinwoon I know about. I was happy it was dark, because I was blushing so hard. Why am I feeling this way?

Can a human being exist only for me? He began to cover me with the blankets as best as he could, making sure that I was securely warm. I could feel the heat coming from his body. It felt so warm and loving, I actually wanted to hold him. But it would be weird if I did so.

“You warm?” he asked me.

 I nodded, “Yeah I am.” He nodded out of satisfaction then lay back next to me and we looked up at the night skies. To my surprise, we could get a clear view of the sky. I was amazed by its beauty.

“Oppa?”

“Hm?”

“Do you still remember what I said?” I asked, turning my head to him.

He nodded, “Yeah. I still remember. You really want to become a star.”

“Just as bright as Cassiopia!” I smiled. I pulled out my arm and pointed up into the sky. “That one. That really bright one.”

“Haha, I remember.”

“Omo! You do, oppa?” I asked, surprised. He nodded, “I never forget a thing you ever said to me.” I sadly smiled, out of pain. What he’s saying is starting to break my heart. For some reason, I’m not even sure what to say to that.

“Oppa?”

“What is it, Eunmi?”

“Why is this world so cruel? Why me?” I asked sadly, hoping Jinwoon would answer my question. Not even he could answer it. I looked up at the sky. This is a terrible fate I’m experiencing. “WHY ME!?!” I screamed out, tears flowing out of my eyes again. “Why?”

Then something eased my tears. I felt the large warm hands of Jinwoon, as he slipped his hand under the blankets to my hands. He gripped tightly. I looked over to him and for the first time, I saw his tears, “Please be strong for me, neh?” I nodded sadly, as I held his hand closely. Feeling his warmth, gave me this reassuring feeling that things were going to be alright.

My heart…feels confused. Why am I feeling like this?

*Day THIRTEEN*

-Jinwoon’s POV-
I ran out onto the roof. I searched around for Eunmi. She’s not supposed to be out of bed. “EUNMI!” I screamed out.

“Oppa!” I turned around, as Eunmi was leaning against the edge of the roofing. I ran over to her. “Eunmi! What are you doing? You’re not supposed to be out here!” I lectured her.

“Mianhe, oppa. I just wanted to see the stars again. It’s so much better up here, rather than my window,” she turned to me. I sighed and immediately forgave her, mentally.

“Oppa?”

“Hm?” I stared at the sky.

“Umm…”

“What is it Eunmi?” I looked over at her.

“What do you think of me?” she whispered. I looked at her strangely. “What do you mean?”

“I…I…” she trailed off. I waited patiently for her to continue. “This is probably just me. But I need to tell you. I…I…” I had a feeling I knew what she was going to say. So I immediately locked lips with her, answering her question, answering mine. Finally, we didn’t have to only be friends anymore. She kissed me back, giving me her all. I love you, Eunmi. You made my wish come true.

*Day TWENTY-SEVEN*

-Eunmi’s POV-
I was humming, happily. Today was Jinwoon and my two week anniversary. I told him not to see me in my room. We’re meeting up on the roof. I even had to convince him that the nurse was going to help me up there.

I’m so happy he’s been here beside me. Through everything, I’m doing everything for him. Without him, I wouldn’t have made it this far. Plus the doctor told me it looks like my life is going to be continuing a bit longer than expected with was progress.

I sat in my bed, as I began to finish up my two week project that I made by hand, just for Jinwoon. Okay I actually had some help from the nurses. They wanted this gift to make everything special. I had planned to give him this for his birthday next week. But I just couldn’t wait, since I’m almost done with it.

Omo! I just broke off this little piece! It’s going to look bad if I don’t glue it back together. I looked around for my bottle of glue. I looked across the room and saw it next to my sink. Dammit! “NURSE!” I called out. Waiting patiently, no one came. “NURSE?!” I called out again, but still no reply.

Maybe I could just get the glue myself. It’s not that far, plus this could give me good practice for my legs.

I pulled off my blanket and let my legs reach the floor. At first I was very wobbly and almost fell, but maintained my balance. I cheered myself on, as I slowly walked across the room.

I’m almost there. Just a couple more----

Before I knew it, I slipped and banged my head, the world blacking out.

-Third POV-
Jinwoon walked down the hall, towards Eunmi’s room, holding a stuffed animal, bouquet of flowers and a small box. “I can’t wait any longer. I want her by my side quicker. I hope she accepts,” he whispered, looking at the ring inside the box once more. Then he put it back in his pocket.

As he approached her room, there were a group of men running out of her room, in an urgent manner. “SHE’S UNCONCIOUS! HURRY!” one doctor yelled out, as the other nurses pushing the rolling bed. Jinwoon’s eyes widened with fright, as he ran into her room.

Not seeing her, could only mean one thing. He dropped the things in his hands on the floor, as he dashed out of the room towards the emergency room.

He ran as fast as he could, to catch up with the rushed nurses. He managed to catch up to them, just as they were pushing her through the emergency room. He was about to dash in there, but another nurse stopped him. “You’re not allowed to go in there.”

“My girlfriend is in there!” Jinwoon yelled out, on the verge of dying.

“I’m sorry sir, you’re just going to wait. No one other than the doctor and nurses are allowed to go in there.”

“Then can you tell me what the hell happened?” Jinwoon yelled out, furious with this nurse.

“We found her on the floor, unconscious. I think she was getting something. We’re not too sure how it happened.”

“THEN TELL THEM TO SAVE HER!” Jinwoon couldn’t contain the fright he had of losing Eunmi already.

“They’re doing----” the nurse began, but a doctor came out.

“Jinwoon?” he called out to him. Jinwoon looked at him and ran to him. “Eunmi is calling for you,” he said, sadly. Jinwoon wasn’t sure as to what to expect, so the doctor just led him in.

There on the bed was a very thin Eunmi, waiting for Jinwoon to come to her. Jinwoon was at a distance, but Eunmi weakly waved him towards her. Jinwoon obeyed as he approached her, standing next to her.

“O…oppa,” she called out pleadingly. Jinwoon immediately grabbed her hand and held them. Her heart monitor made slow beats.

“I’m here Eunmi,” he got down on his knees, trying to maintain his sanity and her warmth.

“Oppa. I love you. I’ve loved you…since ever. You weren’t the…perfect guy that could…make me happy half the time, but…you’ve…you’ve always kept my spirits up,” she whispered to him.

Jinwoon began to tear up, “Why are you saying these words to me? You act like you’re not going to be here anymore.”

She weakly smiled, shaking her head, “Oppa. We both…we both…”

“Please save your breath,” he choked up.

“We both know that…that this was going to happen…”

“Eunmi! Don’t say that! You can’t say that!” he cried out. In the back, the nurses began to choke up in sadness and the doctor gave the couple a sympathetic sigh. They knew they can’t do anything now. Not after what just happened to her.

“Oppa,” she whispered again, her other hand lingered up to his warm face. He could feel the coldness of it. He was becoming desperate now. “You made me the happiest girl. You…are truly my best friend and first…first love. I even made…made you something. It’s in the room. You should get it.” She suggested him. He shooked his head, tears falling down his face. The heart monitor, began to get slower and slower.

“I can’t leave you Eunmi,” he choked up. He then realized that he had something to give her as well. His hand lingered to his pocket and fetched out the ring he had for her. “Eunmi?”

“Yes, oppa?” she asked, her eyes half closed.

"Can you...can you make my wish come true?" he asked, voice shaking. He still stuck to his wish he made on a shooting star, years ago. And he still wanted his wish to come true. She nodded, confirming her answer. 

“Would you marry me?” he asked her, making his voice enthusiastic and clear. She smiled happily and nodded. “Yes…I do…op..oppa,” her voice sounded just like a mouse. He happily took out the ring and slowly put it on her left ring finger. “I…I love you Jung Eunmi,” he whispered as he leaned in to kiss her.

Her heart monitor went became even slower. As the last beat ended, the heart monitor went dead.

“Good bye, Jung Eunmi.” A single tear dropped from the eyes of Eunmi.

------------

rukia1335 is here! with this sad one-shot

it's been a while since i came up with something that is really sad.

sometimes not all things in life could end as happy as all my other one-shots

so here's a new twist to my writing. i'm sorry if it's really long

so i hope you enjoy it! please do comment and tell me what you think! 

thank you!