Can't Lose

Lessons from Romance

"=====" 

Namjoo knew well that her family was just worried about her, but she wasn't ready to go back home just yet. She needed more time to herself. 

Leaning against the door she closed her eyes. She was suddenly tired and just wanted to sleep. Clearly recalling how she'd felt Luhan slide his arm around her earlier she opened her eyes again. There had been no need to do that, so why he done it?

Clutching at his shirt Namjoo stared at the wall ahead of her. Maybe her heart was jumping a little, but she didn't want it to. Perhaps she'd felt excited because it had happened out of nowhere, yes; that was probably it. Luhan had just surprised her...but why had he stood so close like that?

Namjoo felt her heart pick up its pace and tightened her hands around the shirt she was wearing. This was definitely nothing. If any other men approached her this way, her heart would race as well. She was sure of it. After all, Luhan was only a very good friend.

Gathering her wits she finally stepped out worrying that it'd look strange if she hugged the bathroom for too long. It wasn't like she had a stomachache or anything. 

Luhan was standing bleakly in the kitchen when she walked out. She realized he'd turned the stove off because that was all he knew to do. 

"Are you ok?" Luhan worried. 

"Of course," she nodded grabbing the pot of noodles to carry it to the sink. Tasting the noodles she commented, "Mmm...it's good." 

"Namjoo," Luhan called. "Sorry." 

"Huh?" She turned around to look at him, confused by the sudden apology. 

"Just...I'm sorry," he went on. "But I'm really happy that you're here."

Luhan offered her a gentle smile and Namjoo was even more confused. 

"You're strange," she told turning the cold water on. "That's the second time you've apologized to me. I'm not angry at you." 

"I know, but still." Luhan said. "I admire you."

Namjoo chuckled a little as she poured the noodles into a drainer, "It's the first time I've heard someone say that." 

"Well you should be told that more often." 

"What the heck..." 

"Really." Luhan stated. "I haven't seen you angry once. I don't think anyone can be as patient as you."

"That's all?" 

"You," Luhan began, "have a big heart Namjoo."

She'd previously been taking Luhan's words lightly, but at the sudden mention of it she felt the light heartedness fall from her face. Turning around she looked at Luhan. 

Smiling at her encouragingly he grabbed a plate and held it out to her, "Lets eat, Namjoo." 

Namjoo couldn't explain in words what was happening to her heart. She was extremely touched and could feel warmth seeping inside her, like a leaking faucet. To hear it from someone finally made her feel confident that she'd done something to be proud of. Hope was growing wings again. 

"====="

"Why don't you have a TV out here?" Namjoo asked during the meal. 

"I keep it in my bedroom so I can laze around better." 

Namjoo snorted at him.   

"Why?" 

"I feel like watching TV all of a sudden. So can I?"

"You're asking for permission?" Luhan asked and breathlessly laughed. "Do whatever." 

When he was left to wash the dishes he could hear the television turning on and voices erupted throughout his apartment. He joined her after putting the dishes away and thought it a strange sight to see Namjoo sitting on his bed as comfortably as it was her own. There was a slight urge to be cautious, because this was his bedroom after all and Namjoo was acting so freely. Even though they were friends, he was still a man after all. Was she not scared? 

Luhan took a seat at the end of the bed cautiously so that he wasn't too close to her. He was slightly nervous, but he didn't want Namjoo to feel weird. When he stole a glance at her he saw that she wasn't even paying the slightest attention to him at all. It was, at the same time, a disappointment and a relief. 

Finally concentrating on the show broadcasting Luhan found himself laughing a few times and out of the blue turned to look at Namjoo. He wanted to see her laughing her head off, but instead found her curled up. She had fallen asleep on him. 

Grabbing the remote he switched the TV off before looking at her again. 

"This woman," he muttered, "aren't you afraid I'd do something to you?" 

She looked so at peace his heart gushed and went out to her. It was a good thing to know she was comfortable enough to sleep in his home. The last thing he'd want was Namjoo being weary of him enough that she couldn't be herself.       
    
A smile drew itself onto his face the longer he stared. Now that he looked at her, he thought she looked really stunning in his clothes. It was alluring how they were big on her and how they slid over her body when she was lying down. Yet, it portrayed all the innocence there; it was heart fluttering. 

Lying down on his side he stared at her captivated by all the purity there. If he could grasp it for himself, he could die right this moment. 

Reaching his hand out to graze his fingers across her cheek he watched her dig her face deeper into the bed, relaxing after frowning. She was adorably cute like a child. 

Suddenly patting her back softly to help comfort her into deeper sleep he wondered how much she thought of Kai each day. To desire to become a person like him for him must mean that guy had held a very important post in her heart. 

"Is your heart still empty?" He wondered quietly. "Does it still hurt a lot?"

He waited only to hear her silence. 

"Don't hurt anymore," he went on quietly, "Namjoo." 

"====="

Namjoo simply returned to work for the week. After leaving Luhan's, she'd felt unsettled for a few days. The way he'd indirectly put his arms around her made her wonder whether there was something going on between them she wasn't quite aware of. Was it something Chae Yoon had seen that she wasn't aware of? Could that be why Chae Yoon was worried about her and why Ki Chan was wary of Luhan?

But then...why did they not accept her friendship with Luhan? Was it possible Chae Yoon and Ki Chan knew something she didn't? Was it something bad? But Luhan...was a good person...

Namjoo turned in the hallway when she heard someone calling her name and smiled when she saw Ki Chan. 

"You're back at work already? Shouldn't you still be resting up?" Namjoo asked. 

"I’m all better, thanks to you," he told. "Have you met up with Chae Yoon lately?" 

Namjoo shook her head, "But I heard she's back at work."

"Is that so?"

"Why?" 

"It's nothing, but if you hear her saying anything weird, don't listen to her."

Namjoo frowned confused, yet amused, "What is that supposed to mean?" She snorted then asked, "You want to have lunch together?" 

"I love to, but I have an appointment." Ki Chan said then patted her shoulder. "Don't work too hard. I'll see you around."

"====="  

Ki Chan was waiting  a little impatiently, staring out of the window watching cars drive past while tapping his fingers on the table top. It was just like Chae Yoon to be late if it wasn't her who'd called him out. He'd thought about it really heard the morning he'd told Namjoo to leave. It was obvious she'd run off to see Luhan, but tackling that guy would be hardest for him. The last thing he wanted to break to Namjoo was that Luhan was using her. 

"This is a surprise," Chae Yoon's voice him out of his thoughts, "it's been a while since you've been first to call me out." 

"I know," he smiled as she sat down, "but I figured I'd have to sooner or later." 

Chae Yoon raised her brow, "You going to tell me how you spent the night with Namjoo? Should I pass your words along to Luhan?" 

"Please do," Ki Chan nodded, "but I don't think he'd be very surprised. I let her go the next morning and I'm pretty sure you can guess where she went." 

Chae Yoon narrowed her eyes and Ki Chan leaned forward in his seat. 

"Enough games," Ki Chan stated, "just take Luhan and leave Seoul, go out of the country or something. There's really no need to be putting your selfish feelings in-between you and Namjoo's friendship. If you want him that much, just take him out of Namjoo's life instead of doing this to her. If you want plane tickets, I'll even buy them for you."                

Chae Yoon snorted in disbelief, "You really think Luhan would just up and leave with me? You're a little more naive than I thought. Do I have to point out to you that wherever Namjoo is, he'll be there too."

"That, I don't care," Ki Chan held his eyes with her, "what I want is for you and that guy to get out of Namjoo's life. Even I'm surprised you had such side to you. If I'm surprised, Namjoo would be even more shocked. Soft, gentle friend Chae Yoon is a conniving dog hiding behind a mask. Love, Chae Yoon, is no excuse to hurt those around you. So what do you say about my suggestion?" 

Chae Yoon rolled her eyes, "You're that willing to give up any possible chance to get with Namjoo?"

"Because I don't want to be like you Chae Yoon," Ki Chan pointed out, "the best thing I can do for Namjoo isn't to be her man, but to be a trusting friend who will protect her. And I will protect her to that end." 

Remaining calm Chae Yoon nodded her head, "Let me talk with Luhan then, but let me tell you; he probably has Namjoo's trust more than  what she's given you or me. You've just pinned yourself against the three of us. Imagine how shocked Namjoo would be when she finds out what you're doing."

"====="

Namjoo was on her way down for lunch when she heard someone call her name by the entrance. Chae Yoon waved and smiled when she turned. 

"Are you sure it's ok for me to come in here?" Chae Yoon asked peering around the cafeteria which was packed with doctors and nurses. 

"It's fine," Namjoo nodded. "The lights in here are really bright, aren't they?" 

Chae Yoon nodded and exclaimed, "It's so clean in here!" 

"But why did you come here?"  

"I was just bored."  

"No new boyfriend?"  

"I still miss my ex, I told you."  

"Ah..." Namjoo laughed slightly, "still can't get in touch with him?"  

"He has someone he likes, remember?"  

"Oh...but he's just probably playing around." Namjoo insisted.

"He probably is." Chae Yoon grinned. "Say Namjoo, would you ever date one of my exes?" 

"No way! I don't pick up after my friend." 

"That's right, it'd make you shameless."

Namjoo snorted at her and returned to her food.

"So if we ever like the same guy, what would you do?" Chae Yoon pressed on. 

"Why would I want to fight with you?" Namjoo asked. "Plus, you're so pretty, I'm sure he'd choose you instead."                                                          

Chae Yoon only daringly smiled.  

"So...you'd give him to me?"  

Friendship came before love and family before all else. Namjoo had sorted that out long ago.  

"Of course." She innocently replied.  

"====="

"Isn't it?" Namjoo added. am hadn't been able to come over the past week and Luhan missed the sight of her. How tired she must be after work, he thought. Asking to see her would probably tire her out even more. 

Sometimes when he lay down on his bed he would picture her lying there curled up with him. His heart would pound and race. 

It was late Saturday afternoon when there was a knock on his door. At first he wondered if Namjoo had left work early to come see him. They weren't supposed to be meeting up till evening. He'd walked to the door excitedly up till the moment he opened it. When Chae Yoon pushed her way in Luhan rolled his eyes, closed the door and turned to look at her. 

"What are you doing here?" Luhan asked. 

"Is that the first thing you have to say to me?" She turned to face him with arms crossed. 

He wasn't going to play games with her, so he stared at her with a glare. 

"All right then," Chae Yoon gave in, "do you want to go with me somewhere?" 

Luhan narrowed his eyes. 

"I don't know where to right now, but we could leave Seoul; get out of the country," Chae Yoon simply said, "how about it?" 

"What are you bluffing about?"

"Make your decision; leave Namjoo, go with me." Chae Yoon eyed him as if putting hers and Namjoo's hearts on a platter for him. "I won't give you much time. 5...4..."

"What are you up to?" 

"3..."

He couldn’t figure out what she was trying to do or what kind of situation she was putting him in. It was impossible to tell what kind of person Chae Yoon was now, but he knew one thing. 

"2..."

"I'm not going," Luhan confidently stated determined. 

Chae Yoon only smiled as if it'd been what she was expecting. 

"What do you want?" 

"So quick to jump to conclusions, aren't you?" 

"You wouldn't have come here without trying to get something." 

"Aren't you silly," she sounded plain sarcastic. "Of course I want you."

Luhan rolled his eyes again, "Stop it Chae Yoon." 

She stepped forward hoping to intimidate him, "I've been wondering why you haven't budged since seeing me. What's weighing you down Luhan? You, here, loved me so much. What happened to you?" 

He stepped back when she poked his chest with her finger. 

"Maybe I just realized you weren't so important to me after all." 

Chae Yoon turned her head to the side and laughed amused, "But I still love you, and you know I get what I want."