Family (Sisterly) Bond

First Love 2 : Perfect Two

 

 chapter ELEVEN

 Family(Sisterly)Bond

 

________________________________________

 

Ever wondered what lies on the other side when you got caught for committing a crime? That moment which froze and slowed down as some rightful person apprehend you for something you've done. You can't run away because if you do, you can already imagine yourself pitifully slipping off of the ground just because of a misstep. You were scared too, questioning if this was the most sinful moment in your life. I wasn't a troublemaker nor a delinquent back in high school. As much as I didn't consider myself the most righteous person in the school, I couldn't bear to say that I was the worst student too. A few detentions were normal back then, the furthest the school could do was to call your parents. And then you would wind up with another set of punishment, banned from seeing your friends after school and fancy electronic gadgets.

 

I thought that was bad, but something much worse could happen. Apparently, the university life was much more realistic. A method of which the deans would claim as 'accustoming and preparing our future leaders with the real world.' Because let me ask you one question, if you were to commit a crime in real life, what would be the punishment?

 

Jail. Prison. Whatever you people call it.

 

I glanced towards the security on duty outside. It had been hours long and I had no idea if it was still the early dawn or was it already bright morning. Officer Heo, the one who had apprehended all four of us last night, was slurping down his third cup of kimchi ramyun while going through the papers which seemed to be yesterday's. He had a bigger physique than most Korean guys, was about in his mid 40's, bald, and had a habit of nabbing students down the university road. He was not someone I'd be in a room in but it wasn't like I had a lawyer that could defend for me so that I could get myself out of this rotten place. I wasn't exaggerating, this place was horrible and awful. I got the whole being realistic thing, but does a university's jail had to be somewhat similar to the real jail outside? Not that I had been in the real one, I just had the feeling that this place was no different.

 

It had a stench smell of ramyun mixed with caffeine mixed with somebody's gym socks that had not been washed for weeks. Not enough to make you barf out of disgust, but enough to give you a warning that this would be the last place on the college you would ever want to be in. There were only two cells available, not that there should be a lot since this was college. I doubted there would be as many offences in here as there would be out there. We were all thrown into the same cell however, claiming that putting us into two separate ones would only make it hard for cleaning. I eyed him weirdly when he said that. As if this place ever got any cleaning.

 

Eunji was next to me, sleeping on the floor while occasionally turning right and left. Maybe she felt uncomfortable. We had no blankets, no comforters, just the plain hardwood as our mattress and newspapers as our pillows. It amazed me that she could still fall into a slumber though, but I guessed she needed it. She had been through a lot last night. Adding to the fact that she got into jail of course. Near the steel bars that divided us and freedom was Hoya, he was still firmly holding on the bars even in his sleep. He wailed for like 10 minutes, after having losing his sanity when an hour had passed. But right after, he gave up, and so did his eyes. Myungsoo was sprawled at the left corner, he too was fast asleep. Last night, he threw a ruckus and might cause us to spend two nights in jail, but luckily Hoya was there to make sure he wouldn't do something stupid as that. As much as I didn't want to spend two nights here, I was siding Myungsoo the whole time he argued against that bald officer. 

 

He imprisoned us for the following faults: driving over the speed limits, drunk driving and possiblity of being in cahoots with people who went above the noise meter and disturbed the peace of the college at night.

 

A, obviously we were speeding because heck, we were trying to get away from him in the first place, duh. But he could have just give us a ticket like what they do in the real world. B, Myungsoo was not drunk driving. Just because we all reek alcohol, it didn't mean we were all tipsy and irrational to discuss matters. C, that was kind of true. Okay, I would totally admit and surrender if it weren't for the fact that it was a possibility! If he was going to arrest the people possibly disturbing Friday nights, he would want to arrest half of the house community. I would just say go and arrest that L.Joe bastard first, but apparently we were enough to satisfy his 'catch' for the day. He would somehow felt a sense of an accomplishment if he was to arrest anyone on any illegal offence.  Now, I totally understood why none of the frat boys like this officer. As Sehun put it, "'you don't want to mess with Heo-rangi." It was a pun to the word ho-rangi, which meant tiger in Korean. I thought that Sehun's sense of humour was just lacking punch, but no, he was right. Don't mess with that bald tiger.

 

I couldn't sleep. It wasn't like I didn't want to because yes, it was cold with no blankets and yes, I still smelt like cigar mixed with cheap beer. But rather I couldn't sleep at all. My mind was somewhat processing, thinking what would Victoria say about this, thinking would us in jail be putting the whole sorority and even Infinite in shame right down the social ladder. I also thought of Eunji, how I wished that she would just talk with Hoya. At crazy times, I would even thought of stealing those dangling keys from Heo-rang's belt and ran away. But then again, this was a small society of college. How far could we go before he had our names on wanted lists and faces on the main streets in college? It was an awful plan, yet I couldn't help but to think that it was kind of promising during certain times. I haven't showered, my stomach was growling, my hair was a royal mess, my feet ached from the stilettos I wore at the party. So, do not trust me with a plan like that.

 

With a final gulp of the ramyun-powdered soup, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. He stood up and sauntered outside, leaving me back to watching my friends sleep. God, I sounded like a creepy stalker that would start murdering her friends one by one. Wait, what? Ugh, I blame those thrillers I watched. And this awful state I was in. And Heo-rang.

 

Not more than ten minutes later, he walked back in and headed towards our cell. I straightened my posture, my eyes brightened as he fished out those dangling keys. He inserted one of them into the lock and just like miracle, the door opened. I couldn't even describe how thankful I was when I heard his words, "Get out. Your punishment is over and somebody's here to pick you up." The other three woke up after hearing the sound of the lock opening, the sound of our freedom! Okay, I was exaggerating now, but who cares? I couldn't wait to get out of this place! "Who?" Myungsoo managed to ask a sensible question despite after just waking up from his slumber. "Go and see for yourselves," Heo-rang had that displeased look. It wasn't so hard to answer Myungsoo's question, wasn't it? Ugh, never mind because I won't be seeing his face again. Yup, I would stay out of trouble.

 

I got out first followed by Myungsoo, Eunji and lastly Hoya. Heo-rang opened the nearby lockers and handed back all of our belongings which pretty much just included Myungsoo's car keys, our phones and wallets. We bid him a proper goodbye and I didn't mind because this would be the last time I would see him. Stepping out to the main area of the security office, we noticed two faces who we were glad but also despaired to see. I was grateful that they came to pick us up but I was not proud that they came to rescue us from prison. A college prison on top of that. 

 

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" Victoria immediately rose to her feet and shuffled towards me and Eunji. She tried checking our condition but was not expecting the smell from our bodies and clothes. Eunji's face was still dried with mascara stain which was barely visible unless you took a closer look. "Whew! You guys need a LONG shower," she commented and I bit the insides of my cheek. I felt sorry that she had to see us in this distressed state. "Right about that. Come, let's get out of this place first," Sunggyu led us to the front entrance and to the free world outside. "Ahh, mornings!" Myungsoo took in a deep breath as he closed his eyes. I understood how he felt, seeing light from the sun was the best thing right then. Now this is why prisoners in movies admire the nature and their surroundings so much after they got released.

 

"So how was your first experience in prison?," Sunggyu cackled but none of us were laughing except for Victoria. "Inside there was serious hell," Eunji shuddered at the thoughts of last night. "So true. I never ever want to go there ever again," Myungsoo agreed which made the elders laugh. "What's so funny?" I wasn't getting the punch lines here. Neither did them. "Oh, we know how you guys felt. It's not like we never encountered Heo-rang before," Victoria whispered the nickname and kept a hushed finger to her lips. I was surprised that she even know the nickname. I thought that was something Sehun made up. "Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that you made such a loud mixer that wouldn't happen," Sunggyu commented. "Urm, you tattletaled on us. Those dark days when I doubted Infinite was because of you!" she remarked. "He was holding me down! It was you or me in that prison, and I'd choose you," Sunggyu responded.

 

"Well then, ask your boys to be nice to my girls," she playfully asked. "I hope you two are not traitors like your hyung here." Sunggyu was baffled, "Hey! I'm here, you know!" "Oh, I mean for you to hear that," Victoria shrugged innocently. We could only chuckle at their antics, their friendship was to be admired honestly. All of us knew that Sunggyu and Victoria were close friends ever since freshman year. It was a wonder how did they manage to become friends without all the unnecessary scandals. Both of them turned out to be presidents during their senior years, to which everyone had expected. And now, they were still close as ever, best friends if I could say. This thoughts led me to my own friendship with Kai. Why couldn't we just be like them? Things would be way simple.

 

"Okay, we should get going. Who's going to drive your car then, Myungsoo-yah?" Sunggyu asked. Hoya intercepted, asking for the keys by whispering. Myungsoo agreed and the next thing I knew was he tried to drag Eunji with him. "I am not going with you!" she tried swatting his hand away but Hoya's grip was firmer. "We need to talk!" he stressed. He was right, they should resolve their issues. "Eunji, darling, just go with him," Victoria convinced her. Eunji could never talk back to her, partly because of her personality, partly because Victoria is our president and so she had this sense of control without her realizing. Eunji's shoulders deflated and she walked towards Myungsoo's red car which was parked not far from us with Hoya.

 

"So, I guess we should part now," Victoria announced and I nodded, agreeing. "Bye, Myungsoo. Have a great Chuseok, yeah!" she waved as she fluttered first towards her yellow Volkswagen. Sunggyu coughed, he too bid his goodbye,"Oh see you after the holidays, Soojung! I'll head to the car first." I knew that he went first on purpose, to give Myungsoo and I our own 'goodbye time.' "Expect lots of messages and calls once you get back home," Myungsoo smirked before softly pecking my lips. It was short but sudden, and yet it still crept a smile to my face. "Boyfriend service," he claimed. "Bye Myung-ah," I uttered as if ushering him to go quickly. Both of our homes were in Seoul, it wasn't like we couldn't see each other off campus. So I wasn't too worried.

 

 

 

 

 

Victoria parted from Sunggyu's car as our sorority was the opposite side of their fraternity. She steered into the right lane smoothly after she the blinking lights. There was no car or vehicle at all, maybe it was still too early in the morning. It was a Saturday, there were no classes and after the havoc runaway from Teen Top's homecoming party last night, most of these people would still be in their beds, passed out and overslept from the hangovers yesterday. I was no different, having just released from prison was not such a great accomplishment either. If anything, I would want to bury today's events. Nobody should know about this, not even my classmates, my course mates nor my fellow sisters in Pinkf(x). 

 

My mind soon trailed off to Victoria and Sunggyu. My thoughts earlier resurfaced and I was itching to ask about their friendship. How did they preserve that platonic relationship for so long? Did she never once wavered? Why was it different with me and Kai? Was there really such a thing as 'best friends' between a girl and a boy? "Unnie, can I ask you something?" I bit my lip, not knowing where to start. Never taking her eyes off the road, she answered, "Sure. Ask ahead." "How can you and Sunggyu sunbae be best friends?" the question came out rather careless as she just laughed at it. I should probably organize my words well first before asking it. "Oh, I mean you know, you guys had never been in scandals but are still close? Like ugh, how do I say it? Had Sunggyu sunbae never..." I kept on spurting nonsense I thought. Oh god, why couldn't I ask properly! I just couldn't find the exact words to ask. " - ugh, never mind."

 

"You mean was there a time where Sunggyu liked me? Like Kai did?" my eyes bulged, she was like a mind-reader. How could she put out in words everything I was going to ask? Just in two sentences, on top of that. She made her final turn, down the road where Pinkf(x) was located. Searching for a parking, she hummed, ignoring her previous statements. Once she managed to actually park, she turned towards me with a thinking expression for a split second. "He must reached that point where he confronted you and tell you that he'd be by your side no matter what it takes, am I right?" she sounded confident. I was again stunned by her amazing abilities to know, did she heard him last night? "How did you- " She shrugged, "You're not the only girl who's ever gotten a one-sided love confession from a boy." I nodded slowly, of course that would be it. But then as if a light bulb popped in my head, I immediately inquired, "Was it- " "And no, it's not Sunggyu," she sternly denied. 

 

I cowered back into my seat and my shoulders deflated. "It's just that I don't know what to do when he said that. I only thought it was either we go back to being friends or just become complete strangers. I really hate being the reason he's hurting but I don't want to give him any hopes either." I could feel her gaze still transfixed on me, and strangely even how she was concerned of me then. "You don't have to do anything. Just let time tell." I looked at her, her words were soothing unlike her fierce persona as this strong, confident president of Pinkf(x). "Time?" She nodded, letting her words sink into me, "Yeah. I know you don't understand me now, but trust me, time will tell. I'm sure one day you'll be able to understand what I told you today."

 

Maybe she was right. I was only nineteen, barely a fresh graduate from high school who just set her footsteps in college life. I was a freshman, still having much to learn of what it was like to be in college and in a sorority. I just started dating for a few weeks, although my knowledge in love was not to be ridiculed with. But Victoria was in her senior year and she knew much more to life than it was. She had more experiences, particularly in dealing with best friends who have a one-sided love towards you. A soft smile was carved as I muttered a simple thanks. I shouldn't let my head have a headache over this matter when in fact I would eventually know the answer as time pass by. 

 

Before I exited the car, she halted me. "Oh and Soojung, you might want to open up to me a little bit more. I know we aren't the closest of sisters in the sorority but if you need me, I'll be there for you. I'm your big sis, remember? You can always count on me," she smiled, radiating empathy and compassion like never. You see, she was right. I wasn't close to her. If any, I felt distant even when I knew she rooted for all there was to me to be in Pinkf(x). I had always thought she was more of a career woman kind of type, the one who would make it big and empower multinational companies and the concept of feminism. The one who would strut out of her car wearing high heels up into her very own office for her position as the CEO or chairwoman of some ridiculously grand company. Decisive, audacious and blithe. To be admired by all the ladies and to be looked up to by the male species even. She is someone whom you might want to make a role model of.

 

That was probably why I felt so different from her and thus, prevented me from getting close to her. Her aura was overpowering that I felt the need to set a boundary in our sisterhood. But then, in the car, she was different. It was a side of compassion that I never knew she had. Giving me advices and all, it really made me feel for the first time that I have a sister. Before, I thought that she purposely wanted to get close to me since I was Pinkf(x) worthy or maybe because I was a legacy. Strictly sorority purposes, and all that talk about sisterhood bonding was nothing but bull. Especially these past few weeks where every girl in the house was practically talking behind my back, that I was a two-timer, playing with Kai's and Myungsoo's feelings. But all those had subsided by now. Rumours, one day they were hot and piping, the next they were never heard of ever again.

 

But I guessed I was wrong. Besides Eunji and Naeun, I had made it clear with myself that I would not want to become closer to them just in case I'd end up regretting it by the end of the day. I was glad I didn't for these past weeks seeing the way they overreacted when I rejected Kai in public. But then, just then, I thought that maybe Victoria could be another exception too. "Yeah, thanks unnie," and for the first time that day, I felt like I really gained a new sister. 

 

After a long, good shower, I plopped myself onto my bed, staring back at the ceiling and the ceiling only. I could hear hustles and bustles of the girls, everyone was probably getting ready to go home for Chuseok. Eunji hadn't returned from her little 'drive' with Hoya and so I was the only one left in the room. My mind traveled back to last night's events till this morning's. Heck, a lot of things surely happened. I felt tired and worn out, obviously, I didn't slept the whole night. Even if I did, I would probably end up with a backache and sores all over my body. I shuddered at the memory of being in that person. Yeah, I would never go into that place ever again. Just ugh.

 

The door begrudgingly opened and Eunji walked in. I immediately sat up, excited to hear her news, of which I hoped to be a reconciliation with Hoya. Or maybe something more. But her face was void of expressions. She wasn't smiling and getting all giddy, but she wasn't frowning either. Curious, I decided to pop the question first. "Sooo, how did it go?" Eunji tossed her bag to her bed and took off her jacket before mumbling, "Good." I gaped. Just good? Seriously Jung Eunji, you know what I mean and you're playing dumb? "What good? Come on, did you guys made up?" I persisted. She gave me a small nod as she took out her phone from her bag. My eye twitched. I was getting even curious by the second and it was like she was messing with me. Scanning the closest perimeter, I grabbed a red star pillow (one that Suzy bought for me when we graduated) and threw it directly to her head.

 

"Ouch! What was that for?" oh now, she was paying me attention. "Don't just give me a nod! I need the details! Like how did you guys make up? Did he ask you out or something?" "Oh, that," she paused. "No, he didn't but he did say that I shouldn't be concerned with Bomi anymore. Because he likes me, just me, the real Jung Eunji. And something like I don't need to try to be someone else." I grinned mischievously and I noticed she fidgeting with her fingers. I sauntered towards her and sat next to her, why wasn't she freaking out about this?! Like how?! "So does that mean you guys are going out?" She shrugged, "But he did offer me to drive me back to Busan. You know since he's going back to his hometown too for the weekend." "OH MY GOD! Why are you not making a big deal out of this? You should go shower and pack up right now!" I ushered her but she held me back.

 

"What's wrong?" I asked. "It's just that, I'm always feeling insecure. Like I don't know, for some reason, I think that if we started dating and he might find me boring later on and go back to Bomi unnie," she bit her lip and I could only chuckle unbelievably. I grabbed her shoulders and reassured her, "Didn't you hear what he said? He likes you for you, no matter how boring or uninteresting you might be. Just be yourself, Eunji! Trust me, boys like it better when you just be yourself." Her eyes lit up, it was suddenly filled with hope again. "Really?" "Yes, really." Unexpectedly, she hugged me. I wasn't really that kind of girl who hugs her friends all the time, so I was speechless. That advice was not a big thing, really. "Thank you, Soojung-ah. You're...you're a nice friend to me." My hands slowly encircled her body frame back, reciprocating the hug.

 

"Ah, I should go get ready. Oppa is going to arrive in an hour to pick me up," she said after we broke out of the hug. Immediately, she went and grabbed her towel but before going in, she asked me, "Aren't you packing?" In actuality, I might had to spend Chuseok on my own, alone in this house, with some other girls who were foreign. My parents decided to go on their 'honeymoon' in Guam, an island in America, right during Chuseok. They were there since last week and wouldn't be back till the next 2 weeks. Their reason was there was a sale for flight tickets during this time of year and so they chose to abandon me, their only daughter, to go on a vacation. Those are my parents, ladies and gentleman. They would still act lovey dovey in front of me, especially Mom. It was nothing peculiar when they decided to go just on their own. Like this wasn't the first time they went on a vacation and abandon me all alone in Korea.

 

"So you're going to just stay here?" Eunji inquired after hearing my 'devastating abandoned child story.' I shrugged, it was no big deal to me. "Would you be okay?" she was still worried about me spending Chuseok here in campus. "I'm fine. Besides, it's not like I'm going to be alone in this house," I reasoned although I wasn't close to any of the foreign girls in our house. Even Victoria and Amber would be following Luna back home to spend Chuseok together. I bet Eunji would have asked me to follow her to if it wasn't for the fact that she lived in Busan. "Whatever suits you then," she concluded and went into the bathroom.

 

 

 

 

Naeun dragged me to help her carry her things down the stairs as she too was going home for Chuseok. I didn't know why she needed to pack a lot of things when this holiday was only for 3 days max. She kept on inviting me to spend Chuseok with her family since she lived in Mapo-gu, Seoul, but I just politely rejected. I wasn't exactly good with people, especially elders. It wasn't that I was rude, I just didn't know how to react with them around. And so, I thought that might be somewhat awkward. Plus, I wasn't even that close to Naeun except for the past weeks. I didn't even know what kind of family she has. "Oh, just on time!" Naeun exclaimed as she waved to 'her ride.' I turned to look and it was Sehun, dressed in his normal grey sweater on top of a checkered shirt. He wasn't budging, not until Naeun yelled, "YA! Help me carry these, will ya?!"

 

With a displeased expression, he jogged towards our front door, which was already open. "Oh, angel! Hi!" Sehun's face lit up as soon as he saw me. It was the first time we saw each other ever since I rejected his best friend. I expected him to not be friends with me anymore, like maybe Kai didn't like him to or whatever, but he was greeting me like usual. It was as if nothing happened. "Carry this and stop smiling like an idiot. You look uglier that way," Naeun quipped which immediately made Sehun creased his brows again. "Yah! Can't you just be nice to me for once? I'm sending you back home, be grateful!" he bickered. "Yeah, I would've taken the taxi if it wasn't for Ahjumma generously asking her son to offer me a ride," she spatted. It just hit me back that she did mention about being Sehun's friend. They were pretty close then, and I could only laugh at the scene.

 

"What's so funny?" they asked at the same time, then glanced at each other weirdly as if it was the first time they were on the same page. "Nothing," I answered as Sehun surrendered and helped Naeun to carry her things. "Take care, okay?" Naeun bid me her goodbye before she and Sehun sped away in his car. I was just about to close the door when I noticed the ever so familiar red Ferrari coming in to park at Sehun's spot earlier. Myungsoo came out of the car and rushed his way to me, sporting a broad smile as he greeted me. "Why are you here?" I was clueless. "Picking you up."

 

I didn't even have a chance to fully understand the situation when Victoria and Eunji came down carrying of what seemed to be my zircon backpack and my beige sling bag that I just bought during my first week here. "What's going on?" I carefully asked, not pointing the question to anybody. Eunji took the courtesy of clearing it up. "There's no way I'd let you spend Chuseok alone. So, I thought, why not celebrate it with Myungsoo?" she cheekily grinned and I could tell Victoria was suppressing her laughter. Before I could even process what she just said, Myungsoo immediately took my things and went to unload them into his car. "I packed everything, so don't worry. It would just be an overnight stay," Eunji assured. Victoria ushered me to go and change my clothes, and with a mind that was still a huge blur, I obliged.

 

It was only when I was already half-way to his house that it hit me. I was going to meet Myungsoo's family! His parents, cough cough, as Eunji would say, parents in-law. I never knew much about his family aside from the fact that his dad is a renowned kidney specialist in Seungmin Hospital and that he had a pretty big number of siblings than most Koreans do. I wasn't sure how much though, I never bothered knowing. Not until now. I glanced at him, he was still focused in driving, eyes on the road, one hand steering the car. "God Soojung, I know I'm good looking but don't bore me with your two eyes," he uttered to which snapped me out of my reverie. I didn't even bother to catapult any sarcastic remark back since I was caught red-handed. But the other reason being was, what in the world was he thinking to introduce me to his parents? Like what? Did he do this to any girl he dated? Because meeting his family was a huge deal in my point of view.

 

"What's wrong?" as if sensing my silence, he perhaps figured out that something was bothering my mind. "Are you sure you want me to meet your family?" I asked. "Yeah, it's a great idea than letting you spend Chuseok on campus," he reasoned. No, that wasn't the answer I was looking for. "What if they oppose us? What if they hate me the minute they saw me? A week's relationship cannot possibly drive you to defend me," I stated. It was true, I wasn't ready to receive serious backlash to our just blooming relationship. Plus, he might not be the second generation chaebol, but he was close to being one. He is the son of a specialist and his house is in UN Village in Hannam-dong, for God's sake. I didn't need to be a genius to tell that his dad is a somebody after all.

 

"You watch too much dramas, Soojung. My family will love you, trust me," he tried to assure me. "Are you sure your mom isn't like those scary moms on TV?" I half-joked. He nodded convincingly, "Yes. If anything, she is going to get excited seeing you." "So she wouldn't mind having a plus one on Chuseok?" I still asked. He sighed, "No, she won't." 

 

"Just treat my mom as yours. Isn't mother in law your mom too?" he smirked while glancing at me. I scoffed at the line, really Myungsoo, really? "Yah, who says I'm going to marry you?!" I stucked out my tounge at him. Obviously now, my senses were kicking back in.. "Yeah sure, let's hear that again on the day you said yes to my proposal," he sounded confident. No, scratch that, overcofident. Tch, why was he always like this? Doesn't he know the existence of the word 'humble?' "Whatever. Dream on, Myungsoo," I crossed my arms and closed my eyes, pretending to try sleeping. There was no way he was going to let me win that. Not when he was in his arrogant mode.

 

He chuckled. "Just wait and see, Jung Soojung."

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» heyya! new chapter here! my break's going to be over soon. ugh >.< i hope that all of you is going to have at least a better time than i would. wait for the next chapter to meet myungsoo's family. subscribes, comments and upvotes are much appreciated <3