01.

For You

            Junhong threw himself on his bed. Looking up to the ceiling of his room. He felt like his world was about to collapse before his eyes. Everyone had abadoned him. Even his parents. They had dumped him in this small penthouse with nothing since long time ago when he was only a seven year old boy. Fortunately, the next day someone who claimed as an uncle of him picked Junhong up to live with him. But he’s now gone too. That’s why Junhong came back to the place where he was dumped.

            There was still mourns in his eyes. How can a boy of only nineteen recover so easily after losing a person, the only person who didn’t turn his back for him. A person who loved him like his own son. He put his palm to cover his eyes. He cried soundlessly mourning for the loss of the only person he believed love him for him. He cried till he fell asleep.

            Few hours later he woke up to find the sky was already dark. Another day he had spent for nothing but to mourn for his loss. He knew it wasn’t a good thing for him to keep doing. But it was just too complicated. He was always like that, a complicated person. He got up from his bed and checked on the fridge hoping he would find some foods to eat. He found nothing ofcourse so he put on his hoodie decided to go out buying some edible things to eat.

            Life sure was a trouble for Junhong. Day by day haunted by the past, a bitter past. The fact that he couldn’t get rid of thoughs about his parents really distracted him. Now, he’s been skipping school for three days. Still no one had come to search for him. It wasn’t that he wanted someone to admit his presence but with the feeling of losing someone who matters for him just made him felt so lonely. He felt like crying again. But he tried to hold those tears from falling. It just crushed him every times he thought about the fact that he had nobody in this world. Friends? If he hadn’t felt like an outlier, if he had been just a normal kid, he would’ve , at least, made two or three friends.

            He came by a ramyeon stall and took a seat. “Ahjumma, one ramyeon juseyo.”

            He then absorbed in his thoughts again as he waiting for the ramyeon. He couldn’t have but thinking about his life. How could he continue his life now. How he could survive. First, he thought of coming back to school. He knew it couldn’t be good for him to keep away from school. He had already worked hard to be admitted in his school, he couldn’t just throw it away. It was a relief that he was admitted with full scholarship, at least he didn’t have to work his butt-off  to earn enough money to pay school fees. But still, he had to look for any possible job in town. He didn’t have enough money in his account. His uncle also didn’t leave anything behind. Junhong didn’t hold a grudge to him though.

            “Here, one ramyeon,” the ahjumma said.

            “Ne, gamsahamnida,” he said.

            He immidiately ate the ramyeon. He didn’t know that he was so hungry till he tasted the ramyeon. He had been too busy with his fears and thoughts so he forgot that he needed to eat. And now tasting the ramyeon just felt like any other fancy dishes from expensive restaurant. He had never tasted those fancy dishes of course, but he felt like it was a proper comparison to what the ramyeon felt againts his tounge. He suddenly felt warm. He remembered the first time after his uncle picked him up, he took him to a ramyeon stall to eat. It was the most delicious ramyeon he ever tasted, he could swear. With that ramyeon he finally felt no longer alone, he had his uncle. But now with this ramyeon, today he felt lonely again.

            He couldn’t take it anymore, he cried. He cried as he was eating the ramyeon. People around him might think that he was too dramatic. But no one really knew how it felt like. No one except Junhong himself. His tears kept falling although he didn’t make any sound. He didn’t sob, either bothered to wipe his tears. He let his tear fell. With that he felt vulnerable again. But then suddenly someone said, “Been hard days to be passed?”

            He looked at where the voice came. He recognized it was a girl with long brown hair though his eyes were blury from the tears. She was smiling at him waiting for his answer. But Junhong kept himself quiet and put his attention back to his ramyeon.

            “It’s okay to not answering my question. Not so many people like to answer my question these days though, “ she paused, “ahjumma, one ramyeon juseyo.”

            “But I think it’s better for you to stop crying. People start to stare,” she continued.

            Junhong started to wipe his tears with his palm. But then the girl handed him her handkerchief. “Use this, it’s better to use this.”

            Junhong was about to refuse but he didn’t do it. He didn’t do it because the girl insisted. And that he was glad there was someone who cared enough to lend her handkerchief to some stranger who strangely crying when eating a bowl of ramyeon. He took the handkerchief from her hands. The girl smiled at his reaction then sitting straightly beside the boy waiting for her ramyeon.

            “So, been though days for you?” she asked.

            “Well,” he paused, “Never been tougher.”

            “It will past. Don’t worry.” she smiled.

            “Yeah, I believe so.”

            “I’m Hayi by the way,” she offered a handshake, “I live in this neighborhood. You?”

            Junhong was a bit hesitated but then he took her offer to handshake. “ Junhong. Choi Junhong. I also live in this neighborhood.”